PDA

View Full Version : If GAA players were SOCCER players?

davegaasports
09/08/2015, 1:29 PM
If every GAA parish in Ireland was a soccer parish and the GAA Championship was a soccer championship, how good would Ireland be?

Would Colm Cooper be as good as Messi? Would Bernard Brogan be like Suarez?

Here's a sample starting 11 of the possible best Ireland team if GAA players were soccer players!

Anyone missing?

http://bit.ly/1gUrpR5 (http://bit.ly/1gUrpR5)

nigel-harps1954
09/08/2015, 6:01 PM
Michael Murphy was a centre midfielder in soccer, and a REALLY good one at that. Paddy McBrearty is a top notch soccer player, as is Odhran MacNiallas. There's a couple of current Donegal players that were looked at, and asked on trial, by a heap of English League sides, including Premier League teams.

Karl Lacey as football centre half? No. Stephen Cluxton as a soccer goalkeeper? No.

There's six or seven of the Donegal panel that have played for Finn Harps at various levels.

Macy
10/08/2015, 8:29 AM
I'm not convinced it necessarily follows that someone at the top of GAA would make it in football (or rugby). If it could be proven, the UK clubs would be all over it. It's a pity more crossover isn't allowed and then we might see - children appear to be made make a decision on GAA or other sports at a younger and younger age from what I see.

btw I seem to remember some of the Pats lads a few years ago (before the full rise to prominence of Dublin GAA) reckoning that Cluxton wasn't up to much as football goalkeeper.

Kingdom
10/08/2015, 11:25 AM
btw I seem to remember some of the Pats lads a few years ago (before the full rise to prominence of Dublin GAA) reckoning that Cluxton wasn't up to much as football goalkeeper.

Stephen Cluxton is lauded for what he does when the ball is at his feet/hands. Personally I think there are 5/6 better goalkeepers (when the ball is coming at them) in the GAA.

Mr A
10/08/2015, 1:02 PM
Funny enough I seem to recall Harps almost signed Stephen Cluxton at one stage in the past.