PDA

View Full Version : Changes to eircom League Cup

A face
10/12/2004, 12:18 AM
Changes to eircom League Cup

The eircom League have agreed to a shake up in the organisation of the League Cup. The new format will be a straight knockout competition from start to finish and will be used to ease the fixture list of European qualifiers.
The four sides in European competition will receive a bye into the second round. The remaining eighteen league clubs as well as invited participants the Kerry League and Mayo League will be divided into two groups of ten based on their regional location.

Read more at www.irishfootballonline.com (http://www.irishfootballonline.com/news_story.php?newsid=2406)

patsh
10/12/2004, 8:15 AM
I don't like the idea of an open draw. For instance a trip for City to Harps or vice versa, or Derry to Waterford, Waterford to Derry, would be a total b*lls for a minor competition. Don't get me wrong, I'd like City to win it, but I don't think trips like the above would be worth it.

joey B
10/12/2004, 8:40 AM
The should have a north and south draw avoiding long trips.

Macy
10/12/2004, 9:16 AM
Eh? The first round will be regional - or are you talking the whole competition up to the final?

The remaining eighteen league clubs as well as invited participants the Kerry League and Mayo League will be divided into two groups of ten based on their regional location.

dcfcsteve
10/12/2004, 9:24 AM
I don't like the idea of an open draw. For instance a trip for City to Harps or vice versa, or Derry to Waterford, Waterford to Derry, would be a total b*lls for a minor competition. Don't get me wrong, I'd like City to win it, but I don't think trips like the above would be worth it.

"....will be divided into two groups of ten based on their regional location."

Fairly clear what the format will be. No long trips prior to the latter rounds, after which - tough sh*t - that's the nature of football outside of Luxembourg or Leichtenstein.

patsh
10/12/2004, 9:47 AM
From the second round on it will be open draw:So

8 games
4 games
2 games
final
It's possible for Derry or Harps, lets say, to end up having to travel to Waterford and Cork, or vice versa, for possibly two/three games that will bring small crowds, so high travel expenses and little return. I feel it should have been regionalised up to the semi-finals at least.

joeSoap
10/12/2004, 9:56 AM
As a 'minor' competition, it offers the winners silverware(something clubs outside of Shels, Longford and Limerick haven't seen too much of lately :D ), and also a healthy cheque in the region of €15,000 for the winners.
So, to those whingers who moan about long journeys etc....get over it!! :ball: We travelled to Derry and beat them there a couple of seasons ago to win it, and also knocked out the much vaunted Cork City and Shamrock Rovers, not to mention Waterford United on the way.Bring it on......... :D

patsh
10/12/2004, 10:01 AM
As a 'minor' competition, it offers the winners silverware(something clubs outside of Shels, Longford and Limerick haven't seen too much of lately :D ), and also a healthy cheque in the region of €15,000 for the winners.
So, to those whingers who moan about long journeys etc....get over it!! :ball: We travelled to Derry and beat them there a couple of seasons ago to win it, and also knocked out the much vaunted Cork City and Shamrock Rovers, not to mention Waterford United on the way.Bring it on......... :DRead my post carefully Joe.....:rolleyes:

Suppose your club has to travel to Harps then Derry, then Drogs, for instance.
You and your club wouldbe screaming to all and sundry about the cost to you of playing in the competition.

And yes I understand that it must feel very good for you to actually win some games for a change.......:p

joeSoap
10/12/2004, 10:07 AM
We quite enjoy the travelling Patsh....it always ends up in a massive session... ;) . As for winning for a change....surely its the participating that matters, not the result....I mean, when did ye win ye're last National Trophy...oops, sorry... :D

SÓC
10/12/2004, 10:07 AM
The League Cup draw is normally rigged anyway so I would be too worried about this "open" draw from the 2nd round onwards

Hibs4Ever
10/12/2004, 10:13 AM
The only way to make this cup important to clubs is Europe if you win it. I think the best think is that the winners of the League Cup playoff against 3rd in the league to decide who plays in the Intertoto. Otherwise the Leagu Cup will only get worse.

holidaysong
10/12/2004, 10:15 AM
The only way to make this cup important to clubs is Europe if you win it. I think the best think is that the winners of the League Cup playoff against 3rd in the league to decide who plays in the Intertoto. Otherwise the Leagu Cup will only get worse.

I think thats a good point. Thats what keeps the league cup going in england - a uefa cup spot at the end of it all.

patsh
10/12/2004, 10:35 AM
I mean, when did ye win ye're last National Trophy...oops, sorry... :DWhen did ye last win a game?;)

sadloserkid
10/12/2004, 12:23 PM
When did ye last win a game?;)

We won our last game. :confused:

patsh
10/12/2004, 12:52 PM
We won our last game. :confused:Read the thread SLK......;)

NY Hoop
10/12/2004, 4:09 PM
Dump it. Clubs dont take it seriously til the semi final stage. Personally have given up going to league cup games. An absolute waste of time. Bit like the old Leinster Senior Cup.

KOH

A face
11/12/2004, 1:37 PM
New format for League Cup

The decision was taken at Thursday night’s special general meeting of the eircom League to restructure the eircom League Cup for the 2005 season, scrapping the two-season round-robin experiment which had failed to grab the attention of the soccer-going public.

The eight-group structure, in which each section contained three teams decided on a regional basis, saw tiny attendances with many clubs using the competition as an opportunity to field their reserve sides.

Read more at www.eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/leaguecup/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=15090)

ShelsTim
12/12/2004, 5:20 PM
Do they really need it to be a big show-piece event? I mean, we already have the FAI Cup with a European place, what's wrong with using the League Cup as a stage for the up-coming stars?

EireBadBoy
13/12/2004, 12:12 AM
Football snobbery in the EL - Nice! :rolleyes:

Sure next we will have youngsters playing in the League Cup as it is of little importance.

You all sound like English Premiership fan's....are you???

Roo69
13/12/2004, 10:52 AM
i agree. i think big clubs like city and bohs should be exempt from taking part.

Thats s*ite ! why should the "bigger" clubs be different from anyone else, every club should have to take part in it. If they dont want to take it serious it should be used to give youngsters and squad players more experience.

pete
13/12/2004, 11:21 AM
I think the only good decision made was to give clubs in Europe a by in 1st round.

With addition of Setanta Cup the League Cup will become even more of a reserves cup in future. If Setanta Cup gets extended will kill off Legaue Cup eventually.

Éanna
13/12/2004, 12:04 PM
its no harm. its still a trophy, the prize money is decent enough and it gives the bigger clubs a chance to blood younger players. I don't see the harm in it