PDA

View Full Version : Irish Canaries & Opposition Irish

Pages : [1] 2

DeLorean
08/08/2015, 1:58 PM
Norwich v Crystal Palace

Brady starts left back, Wessi and Delaney start.

Crosby87
08/08/2015, 2:19 PM
Why would they want Canaries as a nick name? Sparrows wasn't available? It's a nick name for an 8 year old girls softball team, maybe.

DeLorean
08/08/2015, 2:43 PM
You make a good point but I'd imagine it's because they wear yellow.

tricky_colour
08/08/2015, 10:14 PM
Do canaries twitter?

tricky_colour
15/08/2015, 5:20 PM
http://footyroom.com/sunderland-1-3-norwich-city-2015-08/

Nice highlights there great stuff from Wes and a wicked shot from Brady
however Sunderland may not be a great yardstick.

Another positive is O'Shea was not playing!!

DeLorean
12/12/2015, 12:53 PM
Hoolahan just equalised against Everton in the first minute of the second half following a Brady corner. If they had been down 0-4 or 0-5 at half time it would have been a fairer reflection, typical Everton though not putting games to bed. Coleman started for Everton, no McCarthy but Cleverley as opposed to Gibson seems to be the go to guy as a replacement.

DeLorean
12/12/2015, 1:15 PM
Norwich should be in front after a bit of Hoolahan magic set up Jerome for a sitter but he put it over. That's what happens when you have a Championship striker playing PL football I guess! Pure class from Hoolahan who's mixed the outstanding with the sloppy in the second half.

Gibbo enters with sixteen minutes remaining.

tricky_colour
12/12/2015, 2:23 PM
Yea that was shocking miss!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdDyDtP9KmE

Great work by Wes though.

I suppose in his defence he did have players and keeper in front of him, and it is on the up
bounce when he hits it, there are not many players who have not put one over the bar from that distance!

tricky_colour
12/12/2015, 2:31 PM
Indeed Jerome is in good company!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaFOtFKqcAU

Second one is a real shocker!

But you will have to watch it on youtube.

DeLorean
23/01/2016, 1:48 PM
Christ! Some game at Carrow Road. Both teams producing absolutely kamikaze football, so little quality but so much entertainment. Hoolahan had a lovely assist and scored a penalty to put Norwich 3-1 up. They had a shocking twenty minutes then where they pretty much gifted, an up until then rudderless, Liverpool three goals. Hoolahan, Redmond and Naismith were all bizarrely replaced so it look pretty unlikely they'd create an equaliser, but up pops Bassong of all players to score from the edge of the box two minutes into injury time. Klopp had been giving out about the allocated five minutes injury time but Lallana won it in the last minutes after a really terrible header from Brady I'm afraid. All he had to do was put it out for a corner, which would have been the easier thing to do as well, but inexplicably he headed it on the turn to put it right back into the middle of the box to Lallana. Brady had an excellent first half though.

DeLorean
23/01/2016, 1:54 PM
I think it's safe to say Stephen Ward would have put it out for a corner, just a thought.

SkStu
23/01/2016, 1:59 PM
Yeah. I saw the second half only and Brady had a nightmare defensively. He gifted Liverpool their 4th and 5th goals. The header wasn't as bad as the back pass in my opinion but it was still just a clear sign that he's a novice in that position. Never ever put it back in the danger area. Apparently Hoolohan and Brady had excellent first halfs and Holloahans assist was a beauty pass. Norwich slipping into trouble though which is a worry for us.

Crosby87
23/01/2016, 2:06 PM
I wonder if Wes is related to the nurse on M*A*S*H*?

DeLorean
23/01/2016, 2:13 PM
Yeah SkStu... Brady was excellent in the first half, defensively as well to be fair, he blew Clyne away with a shoulder at one stage. Hoolahan was good too alright, the assist was a typical bit of Hoolahan vision in a tight area. It was Howson that messed up for Liverpool's fourth, thank God that wasn't Brady as as well, it really would have been horror show.

SkStu
23/01/2016, 3:09 PM
The back pass was Howson? Really? Could've sworn it was Brady.

DeLorean
23/01/2016, 3:17 PM
It was actually Russell Martin! I thought he was consoling Howson but maybe it was the other way around. It wasn't Brady anyway which is the main thing!

geysir
23/01/2016, 3:20 PM
It was a horror show, Klopp on his own was enough of a horror show and I only watched the 5 minutes of added on time.
But the madness of Klopp was trumped by Norwich losing their focus with over-celebrating the salvaging of a mere point as if they had actually survived the drop. Then Brady capped all that by heading the ball back into the centre of a crowded box.

And Klopp? he needs to chew on some gum during the game and pick up an obsessive hobby, like elaborately do the timekeeping with a stop watch, follow in the footsteps of a master.

SkStu
23/01/2016, 3:24 PM
Liverpool were a complete mess indeed. And I really have NOT been impressed by Klopp anytime I've seen him. It's like watching someone with really bad Tourette's.

DeLorean
23/01/2016, 3:32 PM
I enjoy his interviews but he can let himself down on the sideline I think. It was a dramatic way to win a game no doubt, but shirts ripped off, broken glasses and Klopp doing a Mourinho down the sideline? Come on! If anything it should have been more relief than euphoria.

SwanVsDalton
23/01/2016, 5:07 PM
I enjoy his interviews but he can let himself down on the sideline I think. It was a dramatic way to win a game no doubt, but shirts ripped off, broken glasses and Klopp doing a Mourinho down the sideline? Come on! If anything it should have been more relief than euphoria.

I like it. Reminds me that it doesn't matter who you are or what team it is, get a last-minute winner in an enthralling game of crazy ball and all bets are off. As it should be really.

Brady played Firmino onside for the first goal as well. Bad day at the office.

geysir
23/01/2016, 6:12 PM
But then Klopp would pass for normal in Derry, wouldn't he?

tricky_colour
23/01/2016, 10:41 PM
I put a 10p bet Norwich to win at 100-1 in extra time, I was only messing around, thought my luck was in when Norwich scored
but unfortunately Liverpool got the next.

Was a crazy game, especially Norwich defending.

Naismith had a great game, got an assist from Wes, he is crafty little devil, he did a similar move v Ireland, except he dragged our defence all over the place on that occasion.

Also backed Southampton at 9/2, and West Ham at 4-1, that nearly came off too. Was thinking of just doing Long for the Southampton goal
but thought the better of it, we all know he can't finish :p

tetsujin1979
24/01/2016, 12:43 AM
Tricky, you've been warned before about posting about bets in this forum. Next time you can have a week off to think about what you did.

DeLorean
24/01/2016, 10:40 AM
I like it. Reminds me that it doesn't matter who you are or what team it is, get a last-minute winner in an enthralling game of crazy ball and all bets are off. As it should be really.

I don't know, I like Klopp overall but some of the stuff seems a little forced. The engagement with the Kop after the West Brom draw was cringing stuff. No doubt emotions were high with the way they won yesterday, but there's been dramatic winners in cup finals with less hysteria.

Charlie Darwin
24/01/2016, 5:59 PM
Klopp correctly identified that Liverpool's fans are fuelled entirely be raw emotion, and that pandering to them will insulate him when the team aren't doing well.

DeLorean
02/02/2016, 8:09 PM
No Brady in the Norwich squad tonight, there was nothing in the team news about him being injured I don't think, but presumably he is. Hoolahan dropped to the bench also after his goal and assist against Liverpool and, as usual when they drop Wessi, it's not working out too great for them. 0-2.

tetsujin1979
02/02/2016, 8:38 PM
out sick according to this: https://twitter.com/PremierInjuries/status/694632657720905728

Update: Robbie Brady - Illness Expected Return Date 06-02-2016 Status: 75%

Colbert Report
03/02/2016, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the update tets - I came on here to find out why Brady missed his first league match of the season. Norwich dangerously close to dropping into the relegation zone - If Newcastle beat Everton tomorrow then Norwich will drop to 18th.

DeLorean
02/03/2016, 8:34 AM
Norwich slipped into the relegation places last night after Fabio Borini's late equaliser for Sunderland against Crystal Palace. They have a massive game at Swansea at the weekend now.

Robbie Brady lost two teeth after accidentally clashing with teammate Gary O'Neill. (http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11709/10188656/norwichs-robbie-brady-loses-two-teeth-in-clash-of-heads-with-gary-oneil)

Hoolahan seemed to be at the centre of things as Norwich made a spirited effort at getting something out of the game in the second half. A nice assist to add to his collection too.

Stuttgart88
02/03/2016, 10:33 AM
Today's The Times (subscription only) has a picture capturing both teeth in mid-air leaving Brady's mouth.

DeLorean
02/03/2016, 11:46 AM
Definitely one of those times when Robbie can say... "you should see the other guy!"

http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article7475302.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Oneil-Brady-loses-teeth-clash.jpg

geysir
02/03/2016, 12:12 PM
That's gruesome stuff, but compelling viewing at the same time.

DeLorean
02/03/2016, 12:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNSSMDHI4X4

Fixer82
02/03/2016, 4:50 PM
He handled it well. If that were me I'd be rolling around on the ground screaming 'my teeth, my beautiful teeth!!'

seanfhear
02/03/2016, 5:00 PM
He handled it well. If that were me I'd be rolling around on the ground screaming 'my teeth, my beautiful teeth!!'He would have done but he couldn't do it through Gritted Teeth so he just wouldn't get the same level of satisfaction !

OwlsFan
02/03/2016, 5:16 PM
Definitely one of those times when Robbie can say... "you should see the other guy!"

http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article7475302.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Oneil-Brady-loses-teeth-clash.jpg

Next we'll be hearing jokes about Norwich having a toothless defence!

DeLorean
16/04/2016, 11:20 AM
Hoolahan only on the bench this afternoon. If every a game was made for him this is it! Brady starts, O'Shea on the bench for Sunderland.

tricky_colour
16/04/2016, 7:04 PM
Didn't turn out to well for them today.
A six pointer which went the wrong way.
Brady went off at half time and Hoolahan came on later in the second half but the lost both halves.
Norwich look to be in big trouble to me.

DeLorean
16/04/2016, 7:28 PM
Yeah, hard to see where they're going to get the points they need. That Watford home game is a must win for sure and just pray that the other two struggle to pick up results. Newcastle appear to have the most favourable run-in of the three.

TheOneWhoKnocks
30/04/2016, 3:53 PM
Sunderland salvage a point with a last minute penalty. Newcastle win after Palace miss a penalty.

Looks like Norwich are going down barring some turn of momentum.

Hoolahan starts today against Arsenal.

SkStu
30/04/2016, 5:15 PM
If they do go down, and I agree it looks like it will be them, id put my house on them coming straight back up. They have a lot of quality in the squad from front to back just haven't been able to grind out results. Admittedly, they've been very unlucky this season but I believe that Alex Neil should be fired. Could be the last we see of Hoolahan in the premier league though.

tricky_colour
30/04/2016, 6:24 PM
1-0 down with 12 mins to go.

Mind you I doubt there were expecting too much v Arsenal anyway

Man U Everton and and Watford to come, they may need to win 2 of those, tough task.

DeLorean
30/04/2016, 8:54 PM
Admittedly, they've been very unlucky this season but I believe that Alex Neil should be fired.

Why so?

SkStu
01/05/2016, 12:20 AM
Why so?

I'll preface this by saying I like him and that I think he's a young manager who will end up doing well for himself in the long run but... the simple answer is he has good players and hasn't been getting good enough results. He has shelled out a lot of money to bring in players this season and it has been, overall, a disaster. He has broken transfer fee records for Norwich and has not given the fans or owners a return on his investments. There's quality all over the pitch but they are not winning the games they should be. I think what bothers me most is their seeming desire this season to snatch 0 points from the jaws of victory (or a draw).

Dorrans, Brady, Mulumbu, Mbokani, Jarvis, Naismith, Bamford, Klose all came in this year and they lost nobody of note. On that basis alone they should be doing better than they are. And I think it's down to the manager.

Now, all that said, it's just my opinion. Norwich seems to be a very well run football club and I'm sure they will give credit to Neil for bringing them up last year in the manner that he did. But they've been on a long slide towards the Championship most of the season so it will be hard to fire up that team of players for a 46 game battle in the championship if he couldn't do it in the premier league.

Charlie Darwin
01/05/2016, 12:58 AM
I'll preface this by saying I like him and that I think he's a young manager who will end up doing well for himself in the long run but... the simple answer is he has good players and hasn't been getting good enough results. He has shelled out a lot of money to bring in players this season and it has been, overall, a disaster. He has broken transfer fee records for Norwich and has not given the fans or owners a return on his investments. There's quality all over the pitch but they are not winning the games they should be. I think what bothers me most is their seeming desire this season to snatch 0 points from the jaws of victory (or a draw).

Dorrans, Brady, Mulumbu, Mbokani, Jarvis, Naismith, Bamford, Klose all came in this year and they lost nobody of note. On that basis alone they should be doing better than they are. And I think it's down to the manager.

Now, all that said, it's just my opinion. Norwich seems to be a very well run football club and I'm sure they will give credit to Neil for bringing them up last year in the manner that he did. But they've been on a long slide towards the Championship most of the season so it will be hard to fire up that team of players for a 46 game battle in the championship if he couldn't do it in the premier league.
Have to disagree Stu. I think they have the worst squad in the league and he's done well to keep them in with a chance of staying up (albeit with the help of Aston Villa and Newcastle being disasters).

tricky_colour
01/05/2016, 2:30 AM
I think in these situations you are probably better off having battlers rather than expensive skilful player.
The good players know if the club goes down they will likely stay up at another clubs, what you need is grafters
who know if they go down they will stay down.

Not that I would claim to be an expert on the clubs involved though.

Anyhow rambling on bit, there is only one team in the Premiership with worse possession stats than Norwich, and that is, wait for it, Leicester!!

Mind you here is an interesting one and it seem reveal the root of the problem, interceptions, Leicester is top of the interceptions table, Norwich is bottom ie 21 v 11, indeed Norwich is slightly adrift of the rest (next is 13.3). also bottom
on tackles.

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/5826/Stages/12496/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2015-2016

That seem to be the key Leicester have players who work hard as a team to regain possession and then hit the opposition on the break, that way the get good chances. I noticed when Norwich were getting chances the
defence was already for them.

Obviously a bit more to it than that.

Another interesting one is Leicester and Norwich are bottom of the being fouled table, but perhaps for different reasons?

Anyhow looks like Leicester are a safe bet for the title.

SkStu
01/05/2016, 2:40 AM
Have to disagree Stu. I think they have the worst squad in the league and he's done well to keep them in with a chance of staying up (albeit with the help of Aston Villa and Newcastle being disasters).

No worries on the disagreement. It's certainly debatable about where they sit in the quality list so I take your point. Even if I agree that they're the worst squad in the league, the argument for sacking him was having the purse strings opened right up and not buying wisely enough for him to keep his job.

geysir
01/05/2016, 8:52 AM
No worries on the disagreement. It's certainly debatable about where they sit in the quality list so I take your point. Even if I agree that they're the worst squad in the league, the argument for sacking him was having the purse strings opened right up and not buying wisely enough for him to keep his job.
You saying Robbie Brady wasn't a wise transfer? :)

I have no real opinions about the merits or demerits of Norwich's squad but they haven't spent very much and over 2 seasons they actually have a decent surplus from transfer activity.

SkStu
01/05/2016, 2:28 PM
Yeah, I haven't looked into their transfer balance very much at all and I'm not here to say the squad is good or bad. Their transfers added sufficient quality to give them a reasonable chance at survival. For a multitude of reasons, I think Alex Neil should be sacked and primarily because Norwich hasn't won the games they should have with the talent available.

DeLorean
01/05/2016, 3:29 PM

They had a good first half to the season, I'd give him full marks for meeting expectation levels up until that point. I'd disagree with your 'quality all over the pitch' assessment. They have a poor defence and the lack of an out and out goal scoring Premier League level centre forward has been a massive problem all season, two areas that generally determine a teams chances of survival. Basically they're roughly where I'd expect them to be, give or take. He did an amazing job last season considering how poor they had been until he took over and they've been fairly competitive in the PL, giving their status as the third best team in the Championship when they were promoted. Yeah they've made a few signings, who hasn't? There's nothing too brilliant about your list above I don't think. It would be a typical modern football knee jerk reaction to sack him, but I think he deserves better than that, even if the second half of the season has been (slightly) below what they'd have hoped for.