PDA

View Full Version : Shakhtar Donetsk

A face
09/12/2004, 11:22 PM
What do you think people ... the better team won !?!

They saw it through to the end and showed what they were made of !!

sylvo
10/12/2004, 1:08 AM
AHHH more Celtic baiting yaaaaaaawn.

Plastic Paddy
10/12/2004, 6:27 AM

Leave out the trolling, Face. :rolleyes:

When you boys qualify for a real European competition, then you have earned the right to banter with us. Until then, carry on dreaming of the InterTwoBob... :p

;) PP

tiktok
10/12/2004, 7:48 AM

Shaktar threw €30million into the team over the off-season and it showed.
Celtic apparently have £21.5million stg that Martin O'Neill wn't get his hands on. In CL terms that was the difference.

Celtic were punching above their weight this season, although in the end they were unlucky, simple as that.

Sheridan
10/12/2004, 7:57 AM
Shaktar threw €30million into the team over the off-season and it showed.
How? They didn't make the second phase. If I were Ukrainian, I'd be pretty p*ssed off that neither Shakhtar nor Dynamo Kyiv made the knockout stages despite spending large amounts of cash and fielding what amounted to Eastern Europe select XI's (plus high-profile guests.) Now, admittedly, both were placed in very difficult groups, but SD should aspire to challenge for a top-two spot rather than limping into the UEFA Cup ahead of the likes of Celtic, and DK should have been good enough to pip Real Madrid.

tiktok
10/12/2004, 8:34 AM
How? They didn't make the second phase.

It showed in SD's finishing higher than Celtic and still being in europe, those were the two clubs being compared.
As for their not being successful enough, I doubt that €30million they spent would go very far in Barca or Milan these days.

liam88
10/12/2004, 8:35 AM
Leave out the trolling, Face. :rolleyes:

When you boys qualify for a real European competition, then you have earned the right to banter with us. Until then, carry on dreaming of the InterTwoBob... :p

;) PP

Crikey PP I ain't seen you around for a bit! To right although that's not to Rubbish City's achievements at all-they were great!

Sheridan
10/12/2004, 8:52 AM
It showed in SD's finishing higher than Celtic and still being in europe, those were the two clubs being compared.
As for their not being successful enough, I doubt that €30million they spent would go very far in Barca or Milan these days.
That's not the quite the truism it would have been five years ago, not many clubs around Europe spent that kind of cash during the summer. Barca "only" splashed out around €30m themselves, I don't think Milan spent a cent in the transfer market. A cursory glance at the type of player both clubs brought in (Larsson and Crespo) should reveal the altered nature of player movements in Europe. Shakhtar had a right to expect a better return on their investment. Comparisons between SD and Glasgow Celtic are pointless, SD could and should be serious players in Europe, as should Dynamo.

A face
10/12/2004, 1:41 PM

Hang on a sec lads .... i was on about their last game against ... who was it again :p

Ahh come on lads, you have got me all wrong .... me .... trolling .... are you sure ..... in all fairness :rolleyes: :eek: :o

eoinh
12/12/2004, 8:31 PM

;) PP

How ironic is this statement? Err... City have qualified for europe (the UEFA Cup). At this juncture in time Celtic havent.

Pat O' Banton
12/12/2004, 9:08 PM
As I think it may be a fair question I'll give it a fair answer, Celtic at the moment are at a stage where the players that have served them well over a few seasons are getting on and next seasoin will find it more and more difficult to compete in Europe at the top level. A major overhaul is needed, thakfully for Celtic McGeady, Marshall and Beattie look good prospects and Kennedy is still to come back from injury so there will be the basis of a good young team at Parkhead. A couple of decent signings should see these given time to develop. The shorter answer to your question Over the two games Shaktar were better (3-0 against 1-0 doesn't take a genius to work this out) so deserved to go through.

Now I'm glad to see you taking such an interest in Celtic. ;) :D

eoinh
12/12/2004, 9:15 PM
i didnt ask a question, i pointed out a fact.

Plastic Paddy
13/12/2004, 7:24 AM
How ironic is this statement? Err... City have qualified for europe (the UEFA Cup). At this juncture in time Celtic havent.

Well... err... if one is being pedantic, Eoin, then surely all you've qualified for is the qualifying competition for the UEFA Cup proper, non? :confused: That'll give you two ties to negotiate before the competition proper starts, and three ties if you want to make the UEFA Cup group stage. Much as we'd all like Cork to get that far, I can't see it myself.

That said, I'll gladly eat my words if you make it to the real competition alright.

And I think we both know the reason that Celtic haven't qualified yet for next year's European competition set is that the domestic season in Scotland is only halfway through. But why let such a trivial matter get in the way of your argument? :rolleyes: ;) Must do better next time...

:) PP

eoinh
13/12/2004, 9:32 AM
Well... err... if one is being pedantic, Eoin, then surely all you've qualified for is the qualifying competition for the UEFA Cup proper, non? :confused:

Incorrect. Its the qualifying round of the UEFA Cup, not the Qualifying Round of the UEFA Cup proper. The same round has been called different names in the past. The awarding of co-efficient points is a recognition of this.

And I think we both know the reason that Celtic haven't qualified yet for next year's European competition set is that the domestic season in Scotland is only halfway through. But why let such a trivial matter get in the way of your argument? Must do better next time...

Oh dear. Now i wonder why i brough up qualification? I think it was as a result of a line before by your good self.

When you boys qualify for a real European competition, then you have earned the right to banter with us

Please, before you post, check which league you are referring to and just loook up what time of the year they are running in. Not all leagues run over the same time period as over there in Britain. The EL being one of them as indeed is the Ukrainian League and a whole host of other leagues. Cork City have already qualified for europe and all i have done is correct your statement. If you want a list of other teams that have qualified for europe in any other european country please dont hesitate to ask.

Dont be so Nefarious in future.

Plastic Paddy
13/12/2004, 10:09 AM
Oh dear. Now i wonder why i brough up qualification? I think it was as a result of a line before by your good self.

Yep, you've caught me there. :o

Please, before you post, check which league you are referring to and just loook up what time of the year they are running in. Not all leagues run over the same time period as over there in Britain. The EL being one of them as indeed is the Ukrainian League and a whole host of other leagues. Cork City have already qualified for europe and all i have done is correct your statement. If you want a list of other teams that have qualified for europe in any other european country please dont hesitate to ask.

Thanks Eoin. If only they were all as helpful as you round here. :D

Dont be so Nefarious in future.

Nefarious, moi? :eek: As if. I'm only returning the compliment to your fellow Leesiders. Maybe if some of them weren't so provocative, I wouldn't be so pugnacious... :)

:D PP

Gary
13/12/2004, 3:04 PM
Lads, try and keep this on topic ie about Shakthar Donetsk. There are plenty Celtic threads around.

eoinh
13/12/2004, 3:25 PM
Ukraine 2004/05

Premier Division

Table:

1.Shakhtar Donets'k 15 13 0 2 31- 8 39
2.Dynamo Kyiv 15 12 2 1 33- 7 38
3.Metalurh Donets'k 15 10 2 3 24-15 32
4.Volyn' Luts'k 15 7 4 4 19-17 25
5.Chornomorets' Odesa 15 7 2 6 15-12 23
6.Dnipro Dnipropetrovs'k 15 6 5 4 18-18 23
7.Metalist Kharkiv 15 6 2 7 17-21 20 [+]
8.Illichivets' Mariupol' 15 5 5 5 24-22 20
9.Arsenal Kyiv 15 5 5 5 17-20 20
10.Kryvbas Kryvyj Rih 15 4 6 5 12-15 18
11.Tavrija Simferopol' 15 4 3 8 11-17 15
12.Metalurh-Zaporizhzhja Zaporizhzhja 15 2 8 5 10-17 14
13.Vorskla-Naftohaz Poltava 15 3 3 9 7-17 12
14.Zakarpattja Uzhhorod 15 2 5 8 11-18 11 [+]
----------------------------------------------------------------
15.Obolon' Kyiv 15 2 5 8 8-21 11
16.Borysfen Boryspil' 15 0 7 8 6-18 7

Actually the teams I can remember from Ukraine playing in Ireland would be Arsenal whom Cork City met in European Competition. We beat them at home and lost away.

And Shels knocked out Tavria Simferopol from the European Cup. I remember one of the Shels goals was simply amazing.

tiktok
13/12/2004, 3:28 PM
Actually the teams I can remember from Ukraine playing in Ireland would be Arsenal whom Cork City met in European Competition.

Arsenal = CSKA Kiev yeah?

Schumi
13/12/2004, 3:29 PM
Actually the teams I can remember from Ukraine playing in Ireland would be Arsenal whom Cork City met in European Competition. We beat them at home and lost away.
Was it not CSKA Kiev? Or did they change their name since?

eoinh
13/12/2004, 3:31 PM
Arsenal = CSKA Kiev yeah?

Yeah, they changed their name a few years ago. There are loads of Arsenals around europe.

Apparently the mafia are heavily involved in the football world over there.

pineapple stu
13/12/2004, 3:49 PM
Apparently the mafia are heavily involved in the football world over there.

Read Simon Kuper's book Football Against The Enemy. Published in 1994, and written between 1991-1992, but still very interesting. Whole chapter given over to USSR (and its component republics) football; another to Eastern European football. Mafia are indeed ever so slightly involved!

Pat O' Banton
14/12/2004, 11:53 AM
Never mind the Mafia, didn't he say that they had a large interest in Ukraine's nuclear missiles? I read this just before Arsenal (London variety) played them at Wembley in the European Cup. Was bricking it when Arsenal were 1 up thinking I might see the big mushroom over London any minute :eek:

eoinh
14/12/2004, 12:13 PM
Ukraine gave up its nuclear weapons years ago. They were all sent back to Russia. (By land, not fired ;) )

pineapple stu
14/12/2004, 12:34 PM
The missiles were mentioned as well. I think this was told in confidence, but the writer decided it was too big a matter to keep stum about! This was 12/13 years ago though, so hopefully has changed since!

Kingdom
15/12/2004, 1:46 AM
Don't know if anyone has mentioned it here.......

but CSKA is the army team so Arsenal would be a pretty appropriate name.

If ye can lay yer hands on the article, World Soccer does a deadly piece on russian soccer etc./