PDA

View Full Version : Artifical Pitchs

eoinh
09/12/2004, 8:58 PM
The league decided tonight that Plastic Pitchs can be used in Eircom League matchs if they are up to UEFA standard.

SÓC
09/12/2004, 9:07 PM
The league decided tonight that Plastic Pitchs can be used in Eircom League matchs if they are up to UEFA standard.
Time to reform the old fanzine...:D

I dont think anyone in the eL has the money or the need to install a plastic pitch, except maybe Shels who could do with avoiding flooding again!

Guitd
09/12/2004, 9:50 PM
dundalk fc have approached the eircom league and have circulated all clubs with a view to installing the first artificial pitch in the eircom league in the near future :ball:

Longfordian
09/12/2004, 10:09 PM
I think there's grants available for those willing to experiment with the pitches.

A face
09/12/2004, 11:00 PM
there's grants available

From who ... FAI or other ??

Longfordian
10/12/2004, 12:07 AM
Not too sure, UEFA/FAI possibly, that's just something I heard I'm not definite about it

holidaysong
10/12/2004, 10:41 AM
It is either the plastic pitch or a new stand for us.

joeSoap
10/12/2004, 10:45 AM
Imagine the squad you could put together for the cost of a plastic pitch

Macy
10/12/2004, 10:48 AM
Not too sure, UEFA/FAI possibly, that's just something I heard I'm not definite about it
Something I heard, but wasn't definite about. There's a thread on the Town forum with links... It's UEFA that were giving grants anyway - to pilot whether they are no acceptable (hence Dumfermline getting them).

holidaysong
10/12/2004, 10:49 AM
We would be getting it through a grant or something so dont think we would be paying for it, although if we had the money we would be trying to pay our current players their wages and keep them at the club first before getting new ones..

NY Hoop
10/12/2004, 4:04 PM
Something I heard, but wasn't definite about. There's a thread on the Town forum with links... It's UEFA that were giving grants anyway - to pilot whether they are no acceptable (hence Dumfermline getting them).

Totally against this idea. UEFA are muppets letting clubs do this. Hopefully clubs here wont go ahead with this as generally with summer soccer pitches are in decent enough shape.

Speaking of Dunfermline they had to play their UEFA Cup game in Perth cos the opposition refused to play on their artificial pitch. Cant help but feel this contributed to their defeat.

KOH

Aberdonian Stu
11/12/2004, 11:31 AM
Well that and that they're muck since the two Jimmy's went north.

Macy
13/12/2004, 8:05 AM
Totally against this idea. UEFA are muppets letting clubs do this. Hopefully clubs here wont go ahead with this as generally with summer soccer pitches are in decent enough shape.
Plenty of teams have had games called off in the summer season, including us. UEFA are actually encouraging this, not letting clubs do it. For small clubs (i.e. our entire league) it could be a great benefit - No rental of training facilities, no rental of pitches for underage teams, rental income from the pitch during the week/ close season - and associated income from Bars etc.

Torquay said that although one would cost £300,000, they would not hesitate. "We could dispense with renting our training pitches and turn an under-used ground into a thriving centre for the local community," said chairman Michael Bateson. "Multi-usage would give us a return of something like £50,000 a year."

Speaking of Dunfermline they had to play their UEFA Cup game in Perth cos the opposition refused to play on their artificial pitch. Cant help but feel this contributed to their defeat.
UEFA have now passed them for European competition - so no team can have a complaint.

pete
13/12/2004, 11:08 AM
Even new plastic pitches would probably be a disaster in an exposed windy area like Flancare.

LFC in Exile
13/12/2004, 11:27 AM
The technology has fairly moved on as well since the 80s when Luton had theirs and it was like watching a game being played on tarmac. Its not playing on the local Astro. These pitches have synthetic grass but the bounce and feel of the pitch is very similar to the real thing. Most wealthy clubs already have synthetic grass mixed in with real grass on their pitches. Not sure it provides as much of a benefit as it used to.

Macy
13/12/2004, 11:45 AM
Even new plastic pitches would probably be a disaster in an exposed windy area like Flancare.
Don't see why it would be anymore of a problem than being exposed and getting the worst of the wind and rain on a grass pitch. Anyway, Town aren't considering it (putting money into the drainage this close season), and we there is an arguement that because we hold training sessions in both Longford and Dublin that we wouldn't see the full benefit (I disagree though, as it would mean it was available for hire more often).

Macy
13/12/2004, 12:14 PM
I dunno, the general reaction to Dunfermline's pitch seems to be that its regarded as a farce by the other clubs in Scotland.
Whilst that maybe true (and I assume why the pitch was part of pilot - maybe it'll be removed from the list of approved pitches?), of course opposition teams/managers are going to use that as an excuse. But then that's no different from people complaining about the state of grass pitches either really.

Clones Road Cas
13/12/2004, 12:22 PM
We have opened four small astro pitches lately, same surface as used by Ac Milan on their training pitches. They are an absolute joy to play on. Really easy on the legs when you slide in to take some ones legs from under them. Id love to see Monaghan make their main pitch a plastic one. its the one part of the ground we always seem to have problems with.

CRC

crc
13/12/2004, 3:09 PM
I was reading an article about the new plastic pitches. Apparently they're not like the Astroturf that we all know about. You don't get injured (more than normally) and the bouce and give in the surface is designed to replicate grass.

On the cost issue, this is potential manna from heaven for small clubs (like our entire league) - there will be fewer groundsmen to pay, no need for separate training facilities, and much more potential for the ground to be used for other events: concerts, exhibitions, 5-a-side rental, as the pitch doesn't get damaged by being used every day, like regular grass.

The article finished by saying that a plastic will never be better than a really good real grass pitch, but its a hundered times better than a bad real grass pitch (which is a hell of a lot more common than a really good grass pitch).

Dricky
13/12/2004, 3:46 PM
I have played on some of the pitches UEFA were using to test the new surfaces and I must say there is f all difference. They are rubber based but the slide tackle is done at your own risk (it will only skin your knee unlike the old stuff, which would skin you and your family)

The bounce is slightly slower but that is about it.

crc
13/12/2004, 4:10 PM
Well if what Conor and Dricky describe is the reality, then these pitches are obviously no good. But I'm not against the principle of them, just as long as they compare well with grass.

Aberdonian Stu
13/12/2004, 7:01 PM
Well the joins could easily be seen in the prematch build up and from what I hear most fans and players in the SPL don't like it.

Maynard
13/12/2004, 8:12 PM
Don't think that plastic pitches are anything but a step in the wrong direction. Ask any player if he'd rather play on grass or any type of synthetic surface...no contest.

Éanna
13/12/2004, 8:27 PM
there was an interview with stilian petrov in todays sun after celtic played away to dunfermline yesterday. he was giving out about the synthetic pitch, saying that you get nasty burns off it and according to the match report the bounce of the ball was dodgy too

pete
14/12/2004, 10:30 AM
If all clubs had plastic pitches would never had the Klinsmann dive :D

LFC in Exile
14/12/2004, 11:17 AM
If all clubs had plastic pitches would never had the Klinsmann dive :D

No, it just would have made it a bit more entertaining. :)

pete
14/12/2004, 11:21 AM
This is what happens...

http://www.streaking.co.uk/relatednewsdunfermline2003.htm

What an idiot. Would like to know what he thought would happen diving naked across plastic :rolleyes: