PDA

View Full Version : The Worst Covers Ever

Pages : [1] 2

eoinh
09/12/2004, 7:30 PM
Listen to the first five minutes of this show for some of the worst covers ever produced. See here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/comedy/alltheway.shtml) and then click on Listen Again. Check out Teenage Kicks covered in a country vein.

Actually the whole show is very good. Worth a listen, with a great theme tune from one of my fav bands "Mott the Hoople".

Gary
09/12/2004, 9:11 PM
Worst cover ever, is without doubt, Ronan Keatings 'attempt' at "Fairytale of New York".

Others which spring to mind would be Liberty X doing Chaka Khans "Aint Nobody", and the current atrocity which Blue are doing, a cover of a Cool and The Gang song of which name escapes me at this moment.

CollegeTillIDie
09/12/2004, 9:15 PM
No Doubt's mauling of Talk Talk's " It's My Life " is one of the worst covers ever.

gustavo
09/12/2004, 9:17 PM
the boo radleys version of 4st 7 is atrocious :eek:

Sheridan
09/12/2004, 9:29 PM
the boo radleys version of 4st 7 is atrocious :eek:
As in the track off The Holy Bible?? I can't begin to imagine what that must sound like.

Nonetheless, the Manics themselves get my vote for a hideous live version of Suede's The Drowners (why???)

Longfordian
09/12/2004, 9:39 PM
Westlife with their double A-side, Seasons In The Sun/I Have a Dream has to be up/down there too

CollegeTillIDie
09/12/2004, 9:48 PM
Westlife with their double A-side, Seasons In The Sun/I Have a Dream has to be up/down there too
Fairly sh1t now that you mention it ;)

Éanna
09/12/2004, 10:01 PM
www.hayseed-dixie.com/ace.mov
check out an "interesting" ;) cover of motorheads "ace of spades" :D

Risteard
09/12/2004, 10:50 PM
should be locked up for murdering 'Father And Son'.
Can't believe Cat Stevens let him away with that one.
Must be trying to keep the fbi off his back.

gustavo
09/12/2004, 11:03 PM
well at least hayseed dixies can hide behind the "ironic" card . westlife have no such excuse and im sure every track on their new "rat pack " album is pure rubbish .

Longfordian
10/12/2004, 12:32 AM
Anything I've seen/heard of it suggests they're plumbing new depths of awfulness

the 12 th man
10/12/2004, 6:58 AM
rolf harris:stairway to heaven :eek:

carrickharp
10/12/2004, 7:23 AM
George Murphy and his Luke Kelly covers :mad:

tiktok
10/12/2004, 7:35 AM
There she goes (one of my favourite songs) - Sixpence none the richer ffs :rolleyes:
Under the Bridge (not a song I like) - but All Saints made it worse

noby
10/12/2004, 7:41 AM
rolf harris:stairway to heaven :eek:

An all-time classic version.
Right up there with his version of Bohemian Rhapsody.

I hate anything too "manufactured", like westlife/boyzone/chris doran (yes, he's still around) type stuff.

Covers aren't meant to be taken too seriously. Like The Jam - Batman theme, or the wedding present - Shaft

There's a new versoin of Sam Brown's "Stop" on the radio, which is trying to be so much like the original, you wonder what the point is.

Rovers Fellow!
10/12/2004, 7:52 AM
I think Westlife have a new album coming out which they cover Frank Sinatra songs, I can just imagine how bad thats gonna be. Saw an ad on tv for it, looks awful. Poor Frank! They also did a terrible version of Uptown girl by Billy Joel. Wasnt it Robbie Williams that covered We will rock you. It was desperate!

noby
10/12/2004, 8:07 AM
I think Westlife have a new album coming out which they cover Frank Sinatra songs, I can just imagine how bad thats gonna be.

Just put on 2fm in the afternoon, and you won't have to imagine...

Aberdonian Stu
10/12/2004, 8:13 AM
There's a new versoin of Sam Brown's "Stop" on the radio, which is trying to be so much like the original, you wonder what the point is.

It's awful and it's by Jamelia who I can't stand.There are some good covers out there where bands try to do something with the song. Gun's version of Word-Up was brilliant.

Also anything by Dance to Tipperary is not only awful but I think the FAI are guilty of crimes against humanity by making fans endure them at some internationals. Come to think of it the same can be said for their use of WMI (Irritation) like George Murphy and Chris Doran.

fosterdollar
10/12/2004, 9:03 AM
Think you can automatically include any cover done by any boy band in this.

Macy
10/12/2004, 9:08 AM
Nothing the original artist can do if the lyrics aren't changed. That's the worse thing about Roland Keating's version of Fairytale - he had to give permission for the lyric changes....

Kingdom
10/12/2004, 9:10 AM
[QUOTE=Gary]Worst cover ever, is without doubt, Ronan Keatings 'attempt' at "Fairytale of New York".
QUOTE]

Twas even worse because he refused to sing the song as is - i.e. he wouldn't use the curses. The ponce.

Sheridan
10/12/2004, 9:12 AM
Forgot to mention Samantha Mumba's mutilation of David Bowie's Ashes to Ashes . I know she (or whoever it is that produces her output) only sampled it, but you don't f*ck with Bowie. You just don't.

fosterdollar
10/12/2004, 9:12 AM
What about the Shape Of My Heart cover from Sugababes ... and then FFS Sting comes out and joins Crayeeeeg DAyeeeevid on another one. Bothe of them total gick

Gary
10/12/2004, 9:15 AM
Not quite covers, but others I hate are:

Puff Daddy doing the guitar riff from Led Zepplins "Kashmir".

Men In Black, totally ripping off "Forget Me Nots".

gustavo
10/12/2004, 12:22 PM
good covers =
nirvana man who sold the world
foo fighters baker street
oasis cum on feel the noize
ryan adams wonderwall
jimi hendrix all along the watchtower
mighty mighty bosstones enter sandman

Lionel Ritchie
10/12/2004, 12:54 PM
I generally dislike covers that are essentialy just Karaoke versions of the originals -hence all the boyband stuff, jamelia, girls aloud, Ronan

My most hated cover ever has to be the Corrs fcukin' war crime atrocity attack on Phil Lynotts 'Old Town'

Annie Lennox version of whiter shade of pale is another act of wanton cultural vandalism.

I tend to like cover versions that take the song off in a different direction so major kudos to rolf harris

-however I intensly dislike scissors sisters version of comfortably numb -nothing to do with being precious about the original -quite like seeing rocks icons taken down a peg or two -it's just a lazy, dozy version and sounds like robbie williams trying to sing a bee gees song in a karaoke bar.

Covers i really like:
China drum - Wuthering heights -not the poncy simpering bloke with an acoustic you hear on tom dunne now. China drum were a three piece punk rock band who did wuthering heights at 100mph on the end of their 1995 lp.
brilliant -they don't chicken out of the odd time signatures or anything.
possibly my favourite cover ever.

Morrissey -moon River -aye okay it's karaoke -but it's beatifully done and it's morrissey

Metallica -Stone cold Crazy -Metallicas take on a Queen classic

Nine Inch Nails -Hurdy gurdy Man NINs take on Donovans hippyfest

Dawn Kenny -Something to believe in ah have to mention a Limerick girl. Heard her do this Ramones song at joey ramones tribute gig in limerick a couple of years back. you could've heard a pin drop. incredible

carrickharp
10/12/2004, 1:05 PM
Faith No More - Easy

One of my favorite bands ever but this dung let them down :eek:

Dublin12
10/12/2004, 1:10 PM
I recently heard Gerry Ryan playing a dance version of Pink Floyd's-Comfortably Numb,it was the worst cover I've ever heard,don't know who it was by though?,anyway,Ryan only took it off half way through the song,he was well griefed lol.

the 12 th man
10/12/2004, 1:11 PM
mike flowers "wonderwall"
sex "after the goldrush"

Rovers Fellow!
10/12/2004, 1:22 PM
Didnt Erasure do a cover off abba songs about 10 years back. Abbaesque was name of album I think. Dreadful!

gustavo
10/12/2004, 11:00 PM
I recently heard Gerry Ryan playing a dance version of Pink Floyd's-Comfortably Numb,it was the worst cover I've ever heard,don't know who it was by though?,anyway,Ryan only took it off half way through the song,he was well griefed lol.

i presume that would be the scissor sisters i didnt think it was that bad at all . :eek:

CollegeTillIDie
10/12/2004, 11:06 PM
i presume that would be the scissor sisters i didnt think it was that bad at all . :eek:

It's bleedin woegeous man :eek:

CollegeTillIDie
10/12/2004, 11:09 PM
Nothing the original artist can do if the lyrics aren't changed. That's the worse thing about Roland Keating's version of Fairytale - he had to give permission for the lyric changes....

Shane got £1,000 just because Keating recorded the song even if it sold zero copies. He would not turn down handy money like that plus whatever was generated by radio plays.

the 12 th man
11/12/2004, 10:01 AM
every track on "joe's 90's" especially the pulp one

thecorner
11/12/2004, 11:57 AM
light my fire......the gay fella from popstars

Aberdonian Stu
11/12/2004, 1:34 PM
But the Mike Flowers version of Light my fire is quite funny!

Aberdonian Stu
15/12/2004, 9:21 AM
Don't know how I forgot these two

Don't dream it's over - Paul Young
Don't dream it's over - Dove

Both butchered the Corwded House song.

noby
15/12/2004, 10:32 AM

Although he reworked Marvin Gaye's 'Wherever I lay my hat' pretty well

Dublin12
15/12/2004, 10:36 AM
Anybody see that tv advert for the new irishclubland cd :eek: ,all the songs are shockers,dance versions of $hite songs,could it get any worse

P.s. agreed Noby it was a great version

the 12 th man
15/12/2004, 11:17 AM

that one in particular was horrendous, it sounded like they spent about 2 quid
on production :(

joey B
15/12/2004, 11:20 AM
should be locked up for murdering 'Father And Son'.
They have done a duet now :confused:

Peadar
15/12/2004, 12:09 PM
They have done a duet now :confused:

Nothing against Ronan Keating because, fair play to him, he's making a mint but it was always dangerous for him to sing with an acomplished artist like Cat. If you listen to the song you instantly hear the limitations in Ronans voice when Cat does his bit.
That said, all the proceeds are going to charity and if I had to pick which charity cover I'd want as the Christmas No.1 it certainly wouldn't be that pathetic spew called Band Aid 20.

Aberdonian Stu
15/12/2004, 1:17 PM
Although he reworked Marvin Gaye's 'Wherever I lay my hat' pretty well

No he did a pretty appalling version of that too.

joey B
15/12/2004, 1:37 PM
Nothing against Ronan Keating because, fair play to him, he's making a mint but it was always dangerous for him to sing with an acomplished artist like Cat. If you listen to the song you instantly hear the limitations in Ronans voice when Cat does his bit.
That said, all the proceeds are going to charity and if I had to pick which charity cover I'd want as the Christmas No.1 it certainly wouldn't be that pathetic spew called Band Aid 20.
Its a mighty shame cat dosent sing more on this track :(

carrickharp
15/12/2004, 2:57 PM
The only cat about that song is it is CAT :eek:

Pauro 76
15/12/2004, 3:12 PM
terrible covers - heard a new one this morning, ELectric Six cover of QUeen’s Radio Gaga, even more annoyting than the original.didnt Pet Shop Boys do a version of U2’s ‘Where ther Streets Have No Name’? and of course all of Robbie Willaims and Westlife’s swing covers... incidentally why did yer man Cat Stevens change from Yuseelf Islam to just Yssuef?

Aberdonian Stu
15/12/2004, 4:10 PM
He didn't shorten it, probably just written that way some places. Pet Shop Boys did the only Elvis cover I like with "You were always on my mind" but their version of "Where the streets have no name" is quite poor.

CollegeTillIDie
15/12/2004, 8:17 PM
Don't know how I forgot these two

Dove's sucked big time

Paul Young's version of Love Will Tear Us Apart was worse
than his version of Crowded House's song.

Risteard
16/12/2004, 11:45 PM
He didn't shorten it, probably just written that way some places. Pet Shop Boys did the only Elvis cover I like with "You were always on my mind" but their version of "Where the streets have no name" is quite poor.
Willie Nelson does a nice 'Always On My Mind' aswell.

Partizan
18/12/2004, 11:49 AM
Anything by Chris Doran.

:mad: