PDA

View Full Version : Micky Adams Appointed Sligo Manager

Pages : [1] 2

Mr A
04/08/2015, 7:32 PM
http://www.sligorovers.com/news/15/aug/micky-adams-appointed-manager

D24Saint
04/08/2015, 7:36 PM
Very good appointment , can't see the football being pretty but it will be effective if he hangs around they will be a different team next season.

hollocaine
04/08/2015, 7:45 PM
Looking forward already to Micky returning to Longford on October 10th....

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/longford-chairman-blasts-brighton-walk-off-1.391907

Longford chairman blasts Brighton walk-off

Mon, Jul 30, 2001 (http://foot.ie/#)

Brighton boss Micky Adams' decision to take his players off the field during a violent clash with Longford Town has been labelled "a joke" by thechairman of the midlands side.
An incensed Adams hauled his players off for "their own safety", before cancelling the final game of their Irish tour against Athlone Town.
Adams' decision followed a host of violent incidents on the pitch which led to three players being sent-off.
The match was level at 1-1 before half-time and Brighton had been reduced to nine men just before the interval when Adams called a close to theheated fray.
But Longford chairman Adrian Kenny believes it is Adams' side who must take responsibility for the trouble.
"To blame his actions on the safety of his players is a joke," said Kenny.
"We are very annoyed because they were to blame. They were the ones coming in with late tackles. It was the most unfriendliest (sic) of friendlies."
There were several punch-ups which at one stage involved most of the players.
Albion midfielder Charlie Oatway and Longford's Alan Murphey were both shown red cards after clashing, Steve Melton also walking for the English side.
The Seagulls' tour of Ireland had already been hit with the disappointment of a surprise 1-0 loss to Sligo Rovers in their previous outing.

Nesta99
04/08/2015, 8:37 PM
Well at least Sligo continue their trend of looking well beyond these shores to find a manager. I'm not convinced it is as good appointment as it may seem right now as a high(ish) profile English manager!

D24Saint
04/08/2015, 9:31 PM
They have certainly learnt to embrace the English in Sligo a far cry from the days when Steve Lynex was told his kind wasn't welcome.

Town Legend
04/08/2015, 10:01 PM
There'll be a serious boost in the profits of the local pubs thanks to this appointment!

wonder88
05/08/2015, 12:25 AM
That was a great story with Steve Lynex; with a gun been pulled on him in a snooker hall in the town. Did he play in a cup final against Sligo (for the Hoops) afterwards?

Nesta99
05/08/2015, 12:27 AM
It is an appointment with an end of season review - doesn't imply a whole lot of confidence that it is the best appointment. Maybe a bit rushed due to the badges criteria. When Coleman was appointed he started to dismantle the squad and rid Sligo of the 'deadwood' and then upped sticks. Heary was appointed to rebuild, didnt work out as we know and now a possible short term manager is on board. Unless a Watford like anomaly of success happens with high managerial turnover this could be a panic blunder.

Duffman
05/08/2015, 7:12 AM
I'd like to be optimistic for Sligo fans but seeing him in action at the end of last season for TRFC wouldn't have any hopes at all. He just couldn't raise the players at all, maybe that'll be up to Rogers, he was always a committed passionate player.

Longfordian
05/08/2015, 7:19 AM
It is an appointment with an end of season review - doesn't imply a whole lot of confidence that it is the best appointment. Maybe a bit rushed due to the badges criteria. When Coleman was appointed he started to dismantle the squad and rid Sligo of the 'deadwood' and then upped sticks. Heary was appointed to rebuild, didnt work out as we know and now a possible short term manager is on board. Unless a Watford like anomaly of success happens with high managerial turnover this could be a panic blunder.

He'll probably be gone back as soon as something comes up for him in England so the review probably suits him.

dong
05/08/2015, 7:38 AM
No idea how this might pan out but surely it's do or die now.
Pity he couldn't have been allowed bring in a player or two of his own.

Nesta99
05/08/2015, 12:50 PM
Pity he couldn't have been allowed bring in a player or two of his own.

The timing is the oddest thing about this appintment. If it was in the pipeline for a while then surely it should have happened when the transfer window was open. As it is one round of games with a squad that seems half arsed so far. The only thing that I can see lifting the players is them trying to impress an English manager that will move on and hope that they might get a chance of a move with him.

Mr A
05/08/2015, 1:03 PM
I think the major aspect affecting the timing of this was losing to Limerick at the weekend! (Obviously the 60 day thing plays into it too)

dong
05/08/2015, 2:53 PM
True. Horribly short term and reactionary again.

red bellied
05/08/2015, 4:07 PM
They have certainly learnt to embrace the English in Sligo a far cry from the days when Steve Lynex was told his kind wasn't welcome.

Sligo Rovers weren't founded in the seventies, there were countless numbers of pros previous to Lynex from England and Scotland that have played in the Showgrounds.

Martinho II
05/08/2015, 4:44 PM
I was at the game in 2001 against Brighton in the Rugby Grounds and it was the dirtiest game that I was ever at! Lookin forward to givin Adams stick about that game when he comes to Longford!

De Town
05/08/2015, 4:52 PM
I was at the game in 2001 against Brighton in the Rugby Grounds and it was the dirtiest game that I was ever at! Lookin forward to givin Adams stick about that game when he comes to Longford!

It was played in Flancare Park

outspoken
05/08/2015, 5:04 PM
It was played in Flancare Park

It did resemble a game of rugby though from what I understand

avvenalaf
05/08/2015, 6:19 PM
Look, that never happened. Lynex invented it as an excuse to get out of Sligo and join the great Giles who was going to win the European Cup. With Dunphy as coach what could go wrong? And please be advised that if a gun is pulled out in a snooker hall in Sligo, the trigger will be pulled.

KeepersBall
06/08/2015, 2:55 AM
One thing you can be sure of, Mickey likes to speak in the third person.
So expect to hear, ' Mickey Adams is pleased with how Mickey Adams side has played'.

D24Saint
06/08/2015, 8:57 AM
I hate when people do that , Billy Davies did all the time aswell.

gufcfan
06/08/2015, 9:08 AM
I hate when people do that , Billy Davies did all the time aswell.

gufcfan isn't too bothered one way or another.

Macy
06/08/2015, 9:15 AM
Definitely in Flancare - ground was closed, only the stand was open. I remember being stood at the barriers in front of the stand giving Adams the benefit of my "advice".

Martinho II
06/08/2015, 4:37 PM
Definitely in Flancare - ground was closed, only the stand was open. I remember being stood at the barriers in front of the stand giving Adams the benefit of my "advice".

we played Brighton two yrs in a row in friendlies think the first year was in the rugby ground if my recollection is correct!

Nesta99
06/08/2015, 5:05 PM
I remember being stood at the barriers in front of the stand giving Adams the benefit of my "advice".

One of the most entertaining aspects of games at League of Ireland venues especially if the advice is acted upon. Mick Cooke screaming for a penalty in Gortakeegan when Monaghan manager...plenty of advice of what he should do with his claims to which he turned round a replied "You never f*cking know in this league"! or Sean McCaffrey inviting a fan over the wall during a game in Oriel to sort out their differences - I presume he opted against hopping (sorry...) over the wall to the fans himself. I'm sure Adams will have more than a few comedians within earshot over the next few months.

Longfordian
06/08/2015, 5:21 PM
we played Brighton two yrs in a row in friendlies think the first year was in the rugby ground if my recollection is correct!

We played Cardiff two years in a row I think not sure about Brighton.

I'd actually forgotten (or maybe didn't know) that until the other day. I was at a game against Cardiff in the Rugby Club in 2000 and then on Facebook the other day I saw the cover of the programme for the Brighton game in '01 and it had a picture of the team that played Cardiff the previous Monday. I was away on a J1 and the Brighton abandonment was big news over there.*

*it made The Star I think which I was able to get the next day over there.

Dunny
06/08/2015, 5:23 PM
One of the most entertaining aspects of games at League of Ireland venues especially if the advice is acted upon. Mick Cooke screaming for a penalty in Gortakeegan when Monaghan manager...plenty of advice of what he should do with his claims to which he turned round a replied "You never f*cking know in this league"! or Sean McCaffrey inviting a fan over the wall during a game in Oriel to sort out their differences - I presume he opted against hopping (sorry...) over the wall to the fans himself. I'm sure Adams will have more than a few comedians within earshot over the next few months.

The guy McCaffery invited to 'hop' the stand wall for a 'straightner' was in his 70's (iirc?) !! Neither of them were fit to be hopping anything in fairness!! :D

Town Legend
06/08/2015, 7:21 PM
I was sat in the stand in Flancare for that 'friendly'. I remember Murphy and Oates heading over to where the corner gate is now for the astro turfs as that was where the exit out to the dressing rooms were in the middle of the car park! All of a sudden the two boys started at it again and both teams and subs sprinted over, either to get a slap or calm matters down! Brighton got the bus driver to reverse the bus so as the back door of the bus was in line with the door of the dressing room so they could escape from the blood thirsty Town supporters, of whom I was one! A great day!!

Nesta99
06/08/2015, 11:39 PM
Chris Hughton would never let his Brighton and Hove side behave in such a way! Adams siege mentality obviously spilled over in to preseason friendlys. So could be an interesting last round for Sligo and looking forward to it!

Martinho II
07/08/2015, 12:47 PM
We played Cardiff two years in a row I think not sure about Brighton.

I'd actually forgotten (or maybe didn't know) that until the other day. I was at a game against Cardiff in the Rugby Club in 2000 and then on Facebook the other day I saw the cover of the programme for the Brighton game in '01 and it had a picture of the team that played Cardiff the previous Monday. I was away on a J1 and the Brighton abandonment was big news over there.*

*it made The Star I think which I was able to get the next day over there.

spot on longfordian. looked thro my programmes just now. I have a brighton team sheet from summer of 99 and summer of 01 from our friendlies against them which I got confused about!

redobit
07/08/2015, 12:51 PM
Chris Hughton would never let his Brighton and Hove side behave in such a way! Adams siege mentality obviously spilled over in to preseason friendlys. So could be an interesting last round for Sligo and looking forward to it!

A bit of siege mentality is what we need.

TonyD
10/08/2015, 7:09 PM
The guy McCaffery invited to 'hop' the stand wall for a 'straightner' was in his 70's (iirc?) !! Neither of them were fit to be hopping anything in fairness!! :D

UFC would have had nothing on it :D

DannyInvincible
25/09/2017, 5:39 AM
An in-depth piece on the career of Micky Adams, whose autobiography is to be released on Friday: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4907908/Micky-Adams-stresses-modern-day-manager.html

The following (absolutely crazy) story from his time as Sligo boss stood out in particular:

Having failed to stop Tranmere crashing into non-League, [Adams] crossed the Irish Sea to save Sligo, where he witnessed perhaps the most bizarre scene of his life in football.

Patrick Nzuzi, one of his players, had been arrested after an alleged assault on a woman but no charges were pressed and rumours developed about retribution from the victim's family. Adams advised Nzuzi to get out of Ireland and head home to England when, on Monday morning, a masked gunman appeared on the training pitch and made a beeline for Jennison Myrie-Williams.

There were two black players in the squad. One, Nzuzi, was on his way out of the country. The other was Myrie-Williams. Players scattered as Adams and his No 2 Alan Rogers screamed about mistaken identity. Myrie-Williams was on his knees with a gun to his head when the assailant removed his mask and started to laugh. It was in fact an injured player called John Russell, who had devised the prank in cahoots with the physio, who filmed it on her phone. 'The players were still shaking 20 minutes later,' said Adams.

Straightstory
25/09/2017, 9:12 AM
The only thing that I can see lifting the players is them trying to impress an English manager that will move on and hope that they might get a chance of a move with him.

Players' attitudes towards the LOI neatly summed up on in sentence.

Philosophizer
25/09/2017, 3:31 PM
Whoa! That's a crackin story in fairness!

CraftyToePoke
25/09/2017, 6:25 PM
An in-depth piece on the career of Micky Adams, whose autobiography is to be released on Friday: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4907908/Micky-Adams-stresses-modern-day-manager.html

The following (absolutely crazy) story from his time as Sligo boss stood out in particular:

That's brilliant :)

oriel
25/09/2017, 10:37 PM
It's far from brilliant. If true it makes a mockery of the league and a big laugh in from Adams looking back. I'd be horrified if I was a Sligo fan about that incident. Mickey Adams, more like Mickey Mouse stuff.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
26/09/2017, 6:45 AM
No one is horrified about it

Sam_Heggy
26/09/2017, 7:43 AM
It's far from brilliant. If true it makes a mockery of the league and a big laugh in from Adams looking back. I'd be horrified if I was a Sligo fan about that incident. Mickey Adams, more like Mickey Mouse stuff.

Horrified about a practical joke? Albeit an OTT and slightly controversial one but still a practical joke.

outspoken
26/09/2017, 9:08 AM
What about Balotelli throwing darts out the window at Man City at academy players or a Chelsea player firing a pellet gun. Did that make the premiership a mockery? This was a brilliant story

Philosophizer
26/09/2017, 10:11 AM

Ah come on Oriel, how does it make a mockery of the league?

If anything, I hope this story makes it into the mainstream media. It's probably the best practical joke i've ever heard. John Russell is an evil genius!

redobit
26/09/2017, 2:17 PM
Ya heard that story alright. Apparently the players scattered and even some of the 'harder' guys like Elding were hiding under cars in the car park.

They were right to tell Nzuzi to leave town tho. The family that he got involved with are dangerous and have done some pretty bad sh1t to people over the years.

oriel
28/09/2017, 9:47 PM
Sorry lads, i can't get it, this was during a training session when at the time the club was probably far from safe from relegation. I don't have a problem with player practical joking outside of the club and in their own time.

They are still not safe from relegation, all about attitudes and application, this kind of stuff is game for a laugh ok.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
29/09/2017, 6:40 AM
So because someone had a bit of a joke at training in 2015 we're in the situation we are in now 2 seasons, 2 managers and pretty much a completely new squad of players since. Lighten up.

bluewhitearmy
29/09/2017, 8:20 AM
What I love is redbolt saying that even the "harder" lads like Elding were hiding. As if being hard includes standing there while someone is waving a gun around haha.

Mr A
29/09/2017, 8:25 AM
What I love is redbolt saying that even the "harder" lads like Elding were hiding. As if being hard includes standing there while someone is waving a gun around haha.

I heard a story about a former Harps striker who was a taxi man in Derry during the troubles, and at the time the IRA were using the proxy bombing tactic whereby they would force people to drive bombs to army bases etc. So a masked man gets into the taxi, pulls and sawn off shotgun and tells him to drive off. Gunman was told to %^&* off. He point blank refused to drive anywhere despite the threat. Eventually the gunman gave up and got out again.

bluewhitearmy
29/09/2017, 8:46 AM
I heard a story about a former Harps striker who was a taxi man in Derry during the troubles, and at the time the IRA were using the proxy bombing tactic whereby they would force people to drive bombs to army bases etc. So a masked man gets into the taxi, pulls and sawn off shotgun and tells him to drive off. Gunman was told to %^&* off. He point blank refused to drive anywhere despite the threat. Eventually the gunman gave up and got out again.

Imagine what goes through your head as the gunman in that situation haha

DannyInvincible
29/09/2017, 2:40 PM

To the best of my knowledge, the horrific "human proxy bomb" tactic was used exclusively with members of the British security forces and persons the IRA regarded to be "collaborators" with the British state or its security forces. Even though the IRA's definition of a "collaborator" was fairly liberal (and included, for example, Patsy Gillespie, a cook for the British army in Derry who'd been warned to give up his job or risk reprisal, and James McAvoy, who was supposedly targeted because he served RUC officers whilst working at a service station in Newry), I suspect the former player/taxi-driver, rather than having luckily missed out on becoming the IRA's next "human proxy bomb", was the victim of an attempted hijacking or else the gunman just needed to get from A to B quickly.

Mr A
02/10/2017, 9:51 AM
I'm sure that distinction was of great importance to him with a shotgun pointed at his face.

Martinho II
02/10/2017, 1:09 PM
wondering will Mickey Adams mention in his book about Brighton walking off the pitch in 2001 in Longford Rugby pitch at halftime?