PDA

View Full Version : new bands

Dublin12
09/12/2004, 2:22 PM
Anyone ever hear of the Yeah Yeah Yeah's?,had a listen to some of their stuff and I like it.They're from New York,I think and sound a bit like Hives/Strokes/Whitestripes.
Anyone got any other bands worth checking out??

fosterdollar
09/12/2004, 2:28 PM
They've been around a fair while now i think. 'Maps' was a pretty big single for them. Singer (Karen O) seems to be a modern day Chrissie Hynde type

James
09/12/2004, 2:45 PM
The Berries from Cork
de're de berries like :)

Babysis
09/12/2004, 3:20 PM
if you haven't already, check out the Zutons. Sorta like the coral, but alot better.

tetsujin1979
09/12/2004, 3:36 PM
Got the Killers new album, excellent stuff

M@ttitude
09/12/2004, 3:53 PM
The yeah yeah yeahs are cool, has anyone got Kasabians album, pure class.. worth getting.

fosterdollar
09/12/2004, 4:03 PM
The yeah yeah yeahs are cool, has anyone got Kasabians album, pure class.. worth getting.

Just got it there at the weekend. Liking it a lot have to say

gustavo
09/12/2004, 5:04 PM
the bravery and the others should be big bands in 2005
:)

tiktok
10/12/2004, 7:25 AM
Anyone ever hear of the Yeah Yeah Yeah's??

Saw them live a while back, pretty disappointed to be honest because I'd liked what I'd heard of them to that point.

The Zutons, The Killers as mentioned are about as good as new music is IMO at the mo'

Other Bands/Acts I'm looking forward to hearing more of.

Modest Mouse
Vestavarro (from limerick)
The Chalets (from dublin)
Kasabian
The Black Velvets

Kingdom
10/12/2004, 9:04 AM
Yeah got it there about a month ago and it rocks fairly well.
But the quote on the cover was pure ****e.....
"What the STone Roses should have sounded like..."
B*ll*x

Kingdom
10/12/2004, 9:06 AM
They're music is good but the bird who plays the trumpet seems like a little dinger. Prompt obvious jokes.....

Kingdom
10/12/2004, 9:07 AM
Anyone heard of these lads from Dublin? Heard two songs off their website and they sound good.

http://www.mainline.moonfruit.com/

fosterdollar
10/12/2004, 9:08 AM
I wonder how the band feels about this comparison... IMO it's unfair to brand them like that so early just because the record co. wants to encourage buyers from a proven market. I also think they are a creditable band in their own right and i dont know where they are coming from saying that the Roses should have sounded like them :rolleyes:

Kingdom
10/12/2004, 9:13 AM
I wonder how the band feels about this comparison... IMO it's unfair to brand them like that so early just because the record co. wants to encourage buyers from a proven market. I also think they are a creditable band in their own right and i dont know where they are coming from saying that the Roses should have sounded like them :rolleyes:
Exactly. I bought the album on the basis of hearing two singles, LSF and one other. then I pick the album up and I see this stupid quote from the MEN ;) saying this crap about the Roses second album should have been like this.I can't really see the comparison myself. The singer can sing after alll.......
:D

M@ttitude
10/12/2004, 10:25 AM
Yeah got it there about a month ago and it rocks fairly well.
But the quote on the cover was pure ****e.....
"What the STone Roses should have sounded like..."
B*ll*x
I didn't actually see the cover, just got the Cd burnt.. That is bollo* though!! Two different bands that sound different.. in my opinion. I also heard mainline before, just from there site and from listening to songs on www.irishmusiccentral.com, a good band to listen to on that site are the shades, from cork I think, the songs called cider horizon, good song! :ball:

fosterdollar
10/12/2004, 11:01 AM
Can't find a band called The Shades anywhere on that site. Do you got a link?

Macy
10/12/2004, 11:29 AM
The singer can sing after alll.......
Good job this is a new forum - if this had been in off topic I'd be calling for a ban... :mad: ;)

James
10/12/2004, 11:31 AM
dont think brendan has them on irishmusiccentral site
will drop him a txt and find out

more on the shades
here (http://www.lobby.ie/profiles/theshades.asp) from their profile on the lobby website

the album is good, they're even better live
saw them a few times with up to 12-15 members playing at once
guitars/drums/keyboards/dj's mixing, 2 singers and a string section all at once ..deadly

official website (http://www.theshadesnet.com/theshades/index.html)
mp3's (http://www.theshadesnet.com/theshades/AUDIO/index.html)

fosterdollar
10/12/2004, 11:35 AM
Jees, really wanna hear them now. Any whiff of a sound link at all, no? :cool:

Kingdom
10/12/2004, 11:46 AM
Good job this is a new forum - if this had been in off topic I'd be calling for a ban... :mad: ;)
Justpullin the preverbial Macy.... love the King Monkey meself, even if his vocal talents are iffy at best. His solo stuff is impressive.

hoofball
10/12/2004, 12:05 PM
Playtoh are fairly good as well...."brighter skies" is best song so far. Album should be out soon...and they're from Cork. Supporting the Franks in Cruiscin Lan on the 23rd.....

James
10/12/2004, 12:13 PM
yeah that franks gig should be good
support from Stanley Super 800 as well as Playtoh too
Playtoh also btw are managed by Ashley from the franks

hoofball
10/12/2004, 12:15 PM
Playtoh also btw are managed by Ashley from the franks

Cheers...I knew he produced the album didn't know he managed them as well....you can deffo hear his influence on a couple of the songs on the album...

M@ttitude
11/12/2004, 10:02 AM
Can't find a band called The Shades anywhere on that site. Do you got a link? Just go to the irishmuciccentral site and scroll down on the right hand side, theres a list of songs in the right frame, near the bottom is the shades, theres a few other good songs on that aswell..

jbrazil
11/12/2004, 3:43 PM
Modest Mouse

they're excellent, have been around for ages.

'the moon and antarctica' and 'lonesome crowded west' are two of their best albums. well worth a look if you enjoyed their 2004 release...