PDA

View Full Version : bye bye sully

football legend
09/12/2004, 1:57 PM
it has been confirmed that long term student player pat sullivan has been sold to student rivals drogheda for a fee off 5,000 euro. :(

Schumi
09/12/2004, 1:59 PM
Confirmed by whom?

pineapple stu
09/12/2004, 2:03 PM
Heard rumours of this from Maccer; however, will be waiting for confirmation...

All comes to all, Brian Gannon is a perfect replacement.

Roo69
09/12/2004, 2:04 PM
it has been confirmed that long term student player pat sullivan has been sold to student rivals drogheda for a fee off 5,000 euro. :(

Big loss to UCD if it's true, will defo need to be replaced. I take it that Sully will be going full time so ? does anyone know what he works at ? Must mean that Danny O'Connor is on his way out so - Bray, Bohs and Longford being mentioned.

pineapple stu
09/12/2004, 2:06 PM
He's a student, I presume.

No word on the official Drogheda site or the messageboard, but that doesn't rule anything out of course...

Roo69
09/12/2004, 2:15 PM
He's a student, I presume.

No word on the official Drogheda site or the messageboard, but that doesn't rule anything out of course...

Rite, i thought ALL Drogs players had to be full time, thats why the likes of O'Connor and Myler are leaving. Will Sully defer for a year or something ?

Aberdonian Stu
09/12/2004, 3:07 PM
I thought Sully would be out by now. If he was doing the sports management diploma he would have been DUE to be finished last summer. Big assumption but likely all the same.

pineapple stu
09/12/2004, 3:25 PM
Hadn't thought abuot Sully having to go full-time if he joins Drogs. Could be a big plus for him - if he's just finished college, he's got nothing to lose by going full-time for a spell; worst thing to happen is he has a degree and he hasn't walked out on a good job.

Interesting about the five grand though - wonder would Drogs protest? :rolleyes: ;)

Bald Student
09/12/2004, 4:20 PM
Interesting about the five grand though - wonder would Drogs protest?

How old is he? If he's under 21 are we still entitled to 20,000?

Aberdonian Stu
09/12/2004, 4:59 PM
Either way it's hardly a degree, it's below arts for goodness sake.

pineapple stu
09/12/2004, 6:25 PM
How old is he? If he's under 21 are we still entitled to 20,000?

DOB is 22/06/83, so he's still 21. The age is 23, don't forget. The amount to be paid is based on how long he's been with us (since July 2001, so 3½ years - don't think even Shels could count that wrong!) and I suppose first-team experience, etc. The First Division may count against him, but if Galway got E22k for Alan Murphy, who had played in the First Division all his Galway career, and we got E20k for Cawley, who had been with us just over half the time, then I'd be disappointed with E5k. I'm assuming two things here -

a) That any of this is true! :p

b) That his contract is expired, which I assume would be the case.

Amazing how you'll jump on any aul rumour in the close season!

Schumi
10/12/2004, 11:43 AM
The wages he was on count towards the compensation (not a fee as such) so the (presumably) lower wages in the first divison might account for some of the lower amount.

football legend
11/12/2004, 2:32 PM
sully is out of contract the fee was sorted out by both teams thats why its only 5,ooo if the teams cant decide a fee it then goes to the f.a.i.all thats holding the deal from going through is sullys contract.sully has got his degree and is now working in a bank and is prepared to go full time.im sure one of the under 21s will replace him

Bald Student
11/12/2004, 7:07 PM
The wages he was on count towards the compensation (not a fee as such) so the (presumably) lower wages in the first divison might account for some of the lower amount.

My understanding of the situation is that the compensation due is aproximatley twice the players wages for the last year he was with the club. Even in the first, Sully would have been on a lot more than 2,500 a year.

It's probably a case that UCD don't want to be seen as blocking a players career, that might make it harder for the club to sign new players. IF Sully is finished in the University, then it's the right time for him to be moving on.

On the other issue, I can't wait to see Gannon regularly next year. It's more of a pity now that his evil nemisis has retired.

CollegeTillIDie
11/12/2004, 7:50 PM
It's € 5,000 more than we got for the last about 10 departures
:(

pineapple stu
18/12/2004, 12:31 AM
This is true; Drogheda and UCD trying to agree a fee.

Why go to work under Doolin again?!?!?! After all he did last time?! :confused: I mean, it wasn't just that we had about one of the worst starts to a season ever (even Kilkenny had a better start), but players were playing rubbish...why risk it?

At least we can rest in the knowledge that for many players, they will never have it as good, nor play as well, as at UCD. :p

CollegeTillIDie
18/12/2004, 7:38 AM
This is true; Drogheda and UCD trying to agree a fee.

Why go to work under Doolin again?!?!?! After all he did last time?! :confused: I mean, it wasn't just that we had about one of the worst starts to a season ever (even Kilkenny had a better start), but players were playing rubbish...why risk it?

At least we can rest in the knowledge that for many players, they will never have it as good, nor play as well, as at UCD.

True but they are usually signed to long term contracts else where when that particular penny drops with them... any news of Myler's movements?

pineapple stu
23/12/2004, 10:36 AM
Per yesterday's Star, we're asking for E20k, Drogs are willing to offer E14k and are looking to finance that with the sale of O'Connor and Myler to Longford and Barry Molloy to Derry.

Still 14k is a good deal lower than 20k, and as we have the UEFA dealy on our sides (which apparently is saying 52k, or at least 25k if that's a typo!), I reckon we should be refusing the 14k.

higgins
27/12/2004, 9:19 AM
Are Drogheda the only club who are still using transfer fees in this league!

Cant remember the last time I heard a player going for money??

CollegeTillIDie
27/12/2004, 9:47 AM
Are Drogheda the only club who are still using transfer fees in this league!

Cant remember the last time I heard a player going for money??

Which reminds me your club owes us €20,000 for Alan Cawley ! :D

higgins
27/12/2004, 1:16 PM
How about we just give you Alan Cawley :p

He is not worth anything near 20,000!!

pineapple stu
27/12/2004, 7:35 PM
He is not worth anything near 20,000!!

That's tough - you knew what the price was when you signed him! :p

Under-23s with a club for two years (which suits us down to the ground! :) ), or any player still under contract, will all move for transfer fees. That former is why we'd get money for Sully, the latter why Drogs would get money for their three players. 'Tis true it doesn't happen too often - suppose it's just a coincidence that Drogs are involved each time.

pineapple stu
14/01/2005, 4:06 PM
From eleven-a-side

Drogs favourites in Sullivan chase

January 14, 2005

Drogheda United appear to be the front-runners in the race to sign UCD’s highly-rated right back Pat Sullivan.

Sullivan is wanted by both Drogheda and eircom League champions Shelbourne – said to be the only clubs with the financial clout to cough up a fee in the region of Eur15,000 for the player’s services.

Sullivan, who studied for a diploma in sports management at UCD, previously worked under Drogs manager Paul Doolin at the College.

Shels had also been interested in the former Shamrock Rovers schoolboy as cover for skipper Owen Heary, but are not thought to be willing to fork out such a fee for a fringe player.

Drogs have lost John Flanagan and Danny O’Connor – two players who have filled in at right back in the past – to Athlone Town and Longford Town respectively this close-season.

Winter acquisition from Bohemians, Damian Lynch, is a natural right back, but could have to fend off a challenge from Sullivan for the first team slot at United Park if the transfer goes through.

The ambitious Drogs have already completed the signings of six players since the end of last season: goalkeeper Dan Connor, defenders Lynch, Simon Webb and Graham Gartland, midfielder Sami Ristila and winger Shane Robinson have all linked up with Doolin’s squad.

Schumi
14/01/2005, 4:13 PM
Shels ... are not thought to be willing to fork out such a fee
Doesn't mean they won't sign him though!

Bald Student
14/01/2005, 4:51 PM
Shels ... are not thought to be willing to fork out such a fee for a fringe player.

Sure, we'll just put him on the tab.

BobtheDrog
14/01/2005, 10:38 PM
from the Drogheda United official website:
Drogheda United are delighted to announce the signing of Patrick Sullivan from UCD. The highly-rated full back is the latest aquisition to Paul Doolin's 2005 squad and was being sought by a number of clubs, including Shelbourne. 'I'm delighted to be strengthening the Squad, Patrick will be a valuable acquisition and I am looking to add further quality to the side' stated Paul Doolin this morning.

pineapple stu
15/01/2005, 12:16 AM
B0llox. Well, 20k extra and we still have Newguy...

CollegeTillIDie
19/01/2005, 7:43 PM
Better revise that figure pineapple .... He signed for Drogheda United ( a.k.a. Atletico Doolo Neooowww) for €15,000 according to all of today's papers.

Aberdonian Stu
20/01/2005, 12:32 PM
I smell arbitration

pineapple stu
21/01/2005, 3:50 PM
All of this begs the very important question - who is "football legend", and how did he know of this six weeks in advance?!

Maybe Sully himself is getting all modest now he's in the money? :eek: :D

CollegeTillIDie
21/01/2005, 11:10 PM
Nah Sully would have signed himself as mercenary reprobate or something equally honest :D