PDA

View Full Version : Dimebag Darrell shot dead at a gig

Ruairi
09/12/2004, 10:06 AM
Dimebag Darrell, formerly of Pantera, was shot dead while playing with his new band Damageplan in Ohio last night.

See more here (http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1494653/20041209/damageplan.jhtml?headlines=true)

-----------------------------

sweet christ that's fcuked up I have to say.

carrickharp
09/12/2004, 10:12 AM
Fooking Hell that's a shocker :eek:

sadloserkid
09/12/2004, 1:02 PM
That's tough. Will be interested to see if Phil Anselmo can drop the frustrated 15-year old act for long enough to express some condolences...

yur man
09/12/2004, 2:00 PM
what a shame, and a shock

Troy.McClure
16/12/2004, 1:26 PM
ya the guy that did it was a marine, he shot him becaues he said that he had ruined his life by pantera splitting up, and he also said that pantera stole his lyrics.

How did you find that out? He was killed at the gig by the polce.

:confused:

CollegeTillIDie
16/12/2004, 1:29 PM
How did you find that out? He was killed at the gig by the polce.

:confused:

The killer had said it to somebody shortly before he opened fire. I heard the story too from a dyed in the wool metal fan.

sadloserkid
16/12/2004, 2:05 PM
ya the guy that did it was a marine, he shot him becaues he said that he had ruined his life by pantera splitting up, and he also said that pantera stole his lyrics.

Then surely he shoulda been gunning for Phil Anselmo??? :confused:

I heard that story too though, regardless of the reasons behind it, it's a big loss for the metal world.

CollegeTillIDie
16/12/2004, 5:05 PM
what does "dyed in the wool metal fan" mean?

Ask a sheep farmer! :D

piratemousey
17/12/2004, 10:08 PM
ive allways enjoyed the music of pantera. good old skool trash metal like, not like the ponces we have theese days.
terrable news. and his brother vinne paul on stage with him(also ex-pantera)-crist like,thats sad news.

Thomo
19/12/2004, 6:11 PM
its a very sad time for metal fans, dimebag was one of the truest metal guitar heroes left. i mean how could u not like a man who had the cajones to call james hetfield a 'f*cking p*ssy', baring in mind the size and volatile nature of hetfield, not to mention his legendary status.i had hoped one day for a pantera reunion and that is now dashed forever by one mans mental instability. tis , as ive already said a sad time for the metal community.

RIP dimebag

speedking
24/03/2005, 9:00 PM
Just thought I'd bump this up to the top. The man was a music legend. He lived his life for music, it is a shame he had to go out the way he did but at least he went out with a guitar in his hands.

You will not be forgotten Darrell, hope that where ever you are you're teaching Hendrix, Vaughan, Rhoads, J L Hooker and all of the other guitar legends a few tricks. Metal will never be the same without this man.

RIP Darrell. :(

Aldini98
30/03/2005, 9:10 AM
Just thought I'd bump this up to the top. The man was a music legend. He lived his life for music, it is a shame he had to go out the way he did but at least he went out with a guitar in his hands.

You will not be forgotten Darrell, hope that where ever you are you're teaching Hendrix, Vaughan, Rhoads, J L Hooker and all of the other guitar legends a few tricks. Metal will never be the same without this man.

RIP Darrell. :(

No offence mate but in a years time people will ask "Darrell who?"

speedking
30/03/2005, 9:33 AM
No offence mate but in a years time people will ask "Darrell who?"

None taken. But in fairness, Pantera have had plenty of fans down through the years. Each one of them (either still into heavy metal or not) were shocked by his murder, they still regarded him as one of the best guitarists of our generation and that includes the people who hadn't listened to him in years.

I think it is unfair to say that a musician who has brought so many people good memories and great music can be forgotten that easily.

For example, I'm not the greatest fan of Kurt Cobains music at all. But I do understand that he has brought happiness to his fans and he will not be forgotten by them.

You have to remember that Dimebag sold over 15 million records in his time with Pantera and had two American #1 selling records, one an album, one a single. And that he played in front of 500,000 people at the historic Monsters of Rock Free State concert in Moscow in 1991. I would doubt if he'll be forgotten too easily now.

sadloserkid
30/03/2005, 11:51 AM
I'm gonna come down in the middle ground for once (though perhaps it makes sense given that I have three Pantera records but wouldn't consider myself a hardcore fan).

Darrell Abbot will never achieve even a fraction of the often hysterical and inexplicable reaction that Kurt Cobain continues to induce (often in kids who were actually in nappies when he killed himself). Nirvana were good and 'Nevermind' was great but sometimes I wonder at the cult of Kurt (of course the fact that he would have despised it is an irony that almost makes it worthwhile). My mother knows who Kurt Cobain is. Despite having two sons who listened to Pantera quite a lot (they were my brother's favourite band a few years back) she still couldn't put a face to Dimebag Darrell.

That said, he won't be 'Dimebag Who?' at any stage to the people who cared about his death now. He's just become another Laybe Staley or Shannon Hoon or Jon Lee or Zack from EMF (I can't even remember his surname which sorta proves my point). The point is that for the masses it was a case of Darrell Who? (or Who? Darrell I suppose) even now. But to a sizeable minority the name won't be forgotten easily and that's no more than the man deserved.

Aldini98
30/03/2005, 11:53 AM
Ok fellas I see yer points.