PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2018 Qualification Draw

Pages : [1] 2 3

DeLorean
24/07/2015, 4:06 PM
I know there's a World Cup thread in World Football but it probably makes more sense to discuss Ireland's fortunes here. It's live on RTÉ 2 from 15:55 tomorrow and also Sky Sports News HQ.

The pots again...

UEFA World Cup Qualifying Pot 1 Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Romania, England, Wales, Portugal, Spain, Croatia

UEFA World Cup Qualifying Pot 2 Italy, Slovakia, Austria, Switzerland, Czech Republic, France, Iceland, Denmark, Bosnia-Herzegovina

UEFA World Cup Qualifying Pot 3 Poland, Ukraine, Scotland, Hungary, Sweden, Albania, N Ireland, Serbia, Greece

UEFA World Cup Qualifying Pot 4 Turkey, Slovenia, Israel, Republic of Ireland, Norway, Bulgaria, Faroe Islands, Montenegro, Estonia

UEFA World Cup Qualifying Pot 5 Cyprus, Latvia, Armenia, Finland, Belarus, Macedonia, Azerbaijan, Lithuania, Moldova

UEFA World Cup Qualifying Pot 6 Kazakhstan, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Georgia, Malta, San Marino, Andorra

Fifa World Cup 2018 qualifying group draw: Pots, seeds and everything else you need to know (http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/fifa-world-cup-2018-qualifying-group-draw-pots-seeds-everything-else-you-need-know-1512424)

Bungle
24/07/2015, 4:43 PM
I did a mock draw earlier and we got Wales, Switzerland, Ukraine, Cyprus and Luxembourg.

As horror draws could go that would be pretty decent :)

Personally, I'd love Wales, Iceland, Northern Ireland, Moldova and Andorra.

Kingdom
24/07/2015, 4:56 PM
Ideally: Romania, Austria, Northern Ireland, Moldova, San Marino

I could live with: Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, Macedonia and Andorra.

Goodnight and good luck: Spain, France, Serbia, Armenia, Georgia.

Gather round
24/07/2015, 5:19 PM
I'd be surprised if many of your fans are hoping to play us.

Not because of playing strength (I expect ours to decline quite a bit when Hughes, McAuley, Carroll, Baird and maybe Brunt and Ward retire after this campaign).

Just the inevitable tension, possible riots and maybe away fan bans that might ensue.

zero
24/07/2015, 6:41 PM
i've never gone into a qualifying draw with such low confidence... given that we look unlikely to finish 3rd in the euro group, the thought of coming second in this one and then negotiating a playoff seems like fantasy stuff.

Yard of Pace
25/07/2015, 9:53 AM
When it comes to Ireland, optimism is my default setting.Glenn Whelan will surely be gone from the team. Cambuur could win the Eredevisie 15/16. Whoever's the gaffer starts building a team that becomes more than the sum of its parts...etc. etc.

And we get a draw as handy as the nordies did for the Euro's.

Wolfman
25/07/2015, 10:49 AM
We're rubbish, so is the venue and FIFA. So who cares.

geysir
25/07/2015, 11:49 AM
It's not so much that Russia as venue is rubbish it's that group games will be scattered all over the 'continent'.
And I note that in Russia's group the host team has it much handier than their opponents.
It will be travelling nightmare for fans.

Compare the venue schedule (http://https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup#Venues) for the 2018 group game
to more simple times
1974 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_FIFA_World_Cup#Venues) and 1982 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_FIFA_World_Cup#Venues) World Cup where group game venues where just about within walking distance.

pineapple stu
25/07/2015, 12:05 PM
Really not seeing the problems with Russia as a host tbh.

Long-established football nation that's never hosted either the World Cup or the Euros - they're long overdue a major tournament.

Getting around Russia is very easy given its size; the train network is exceptional and obviously you can hop on a flight as well.

And games aren't spread over the whole country - in fact, the area looks to be smaller than that over which the Brazil and US World Cups took place.

Russia's games are quite awkward for a host nation, who traditionally had all three group games in their capital - now they've to go to Samara for one game, which is a good bit away from their other games in Moscow and St Peterburg

Only thing that's awkward is that groups aren't split over just the two cities any more.

DeLorean
25/07/2015, 12:12 PM

The majority that post in this section. I think you might be in the wrong place if you don't. Or are we only supposed to care when we're good?

zero
25/07/2015, 12:14 PM
i wouldn't say it's a bad venue necessarily - bear in mind women out number men there and tend to be quite attractive!

DannyInvincible
25/07/2015, 12:38 PM

I was wondering where you'd gone, AB! :)

pineapple stu
25/07/2015, 12:44 PM
I know there's a World Cup thread in World Football but it probably makes more sense to discuss Ireland's fortunes here. It's live on RTÉ 2 from 15:55 tomorrow and also Sky Sports News HQ.
Worth noting I think the European draw doesn't start till 5:30

Bungle
25/07/2015, 1:53 PM
Cyprus, Armenia and Belarus are teams to avoid in 5.
Serbia to avoid in pot 3 - they have a core of outstanding players and some exceptional talent coming through. I'd consider the rest of the teams of a similar standard to us or not too much better than us. Sweden without zlatan will still be a very tough team, but I couldn't see them giving us a hiding and we could nick a win.
In pot 2, I'd love Iceland, Slovakia or Austria-all are currently better than us, but in a few years that might not be the case. The rest are totally superior to us.
In pot 1, the only team I'd be hopeful against would be Wales. Romania would offer some hope and we could take points off England. A point off any of the other teams would be a great result.

Crosby87
25/07/2015, 2:11 PM
There will be a blow up when some players are eating cold, cold Borscht before training. I actually wouldn't mind going to Russia. there's this movie from the 80s with Gregory Hines and Baryshnakov and Phil Collins I always liked. Perhaps Charlie Darwin and I could take a tour of some gulags. I could order a black russian like in naked gun.

TheOneWhoKnocks
25/07/2015, 3:41 PM
https://twitter.com/KieranCanning/status/624935535287664640/photo/1

If we end up getting a group similar to the group we got in the rehearsal draw, then we are in trouble.

Charlie Darwin
25/07/2015, 3:56 PM
England, Denmark, Nordies will do it for me.

DeLorean
25/07/2015, 4:16 PM
Wales all day for me. We'd have a reasonable chance of taking points from England but no chance of finishing ahead of them. I genuinely think we'd challenge Wales in terms of group position. Maybe Romania next best from the top seeds.

Charlie Darwin
25/07/2015, 4:23 PM
I just want to play England. Put 'em unda presha, easy six points. Jack Byrne hat-trick.

tricky_colour
25/07/2015, 4:25 PM
whats happening ???

has the draw been done?

gone 4pm

im scared

TheOneWhoKnocks
25/07/2015, 4:27 PM
Must avoid: Spain, Germany
Not disastrous:England, Netherlands, Croatia, Belgium
Optimal: Portugal, Romania, Wales

Must avoid: Italy, France
Optimal: Iceland, Slovakia - but it's much of a muchness in truth.

Must avoid: Ukraine, Serbia, Poland, Sweden
Not disastrous: Greece, Scotland
Optimal: Northern Ireland, Albania, Hungary

DeLorean
No, they're just doing the South American one now so presumably up next.

tricky_colour
Worth noting I think the European draw doesn't start till 5:30

5.28 I don't see a tv listing for it, I'm watching sky news which is the best I can think of.

tricky_colour
25/07/2015, 4:38 PM
Oh it is on the red button on BBC

geysir
25/07/2015, 4:43 PM
Really not seeing the problems with Russia as a host tbh.

Long-established football nation that's never hosted either the World Cup or the Euros - they're long overdue a major tournament.

Getting around Russia is very easy given its size; the train network is exceptional and obviously you can hop on a flight as well.

And games aren't spread over the whole country - in fact, the area looks to be smaller than that over which the Brazil and US World Cups took place.

Russia's games are quite awkward for a host nation, who traditionally had all three group games in their capital - now they've to go to Samara for one game, which is a good bit away from their other games in Moscow and St Peterburg

Only thing that's awkward is that groups aren't split over just the two cities any more.
As I wrote, Russia is not the issue it's the practice of spreading group games over a whole huge country, is the issue.
To be better than Brazil doesn't take much or the USA.
Russia's venues are the most beneficial in their group, 3 relatively close venues compared to the 3 others.
Have you not looked at the venue locations in general?
Maybe it's not much of an issue taking the north south train from Volgograd to Moscow 1000km - 15 hours on the train.
or from Volgograd to Saint Petersburg 1500km 20 hours on the train.
How about a cosy trip from Kaliningrad to Sochi some 2500 km? 2 and half days :)

Every group has extreme distance venues selected on their schedule. I just ask why it can't be different,more rational?

tetsujin1979
25/07/2015, 4:44 PM
European draw just starting now

tricky_colour
25/07/2015, 4:45 PM
They're off draw started, pot six teams being drawn.

tricky_colour
25/07/2015, 4:46 PM
But I'm dying to go to the loo :D

DannyInvincible
25/07/2015, 4:51 PM
With Moldova and Georgia (so far) in Group D.

DannyInvincible
25/07/2015, 4:52 PM
And Serbia.

Eminence Grise
25/07/2015, 4:54 PM
Very Eastern aspect so far.

DannyInvincible
25/07/2015, 4:55 PM
Austria too. Not bad.

DannyInvincible
25/07/2015, 4:58 PM
Top seeds in our group are Wales. Not a bad group all round.

tetsujin1979
25/07/2015, 4:59 PM
not as bad as it could have been. I'll certainly take that

DeLorean
25/07/2015, 4:59 PM
We should be competitive anyway which is the main thing. Lots of draws again I suspect!

shakermaker1982
25/07/2015, 5:02 PM
Happy with that. Could have been worse. Serbia away is the tough one but we can pick up plenty of draws.

tricky_colour
25/07/2015, 5:03 PM
Ha ha I could not hold out and had to go to the loo, I literally shat myself when we drew Wales :D

DannyInvincible
25/07/2015, 5:03 PM
I think that's a really, really decent draw, which should give us a good chance. Nothing daunting about it. No power-house and all teams are very even (although Serbia did do well at under-age level recently so their fortunes may be on the up again).

TheOneWhoKnocks
25/07/2015, 5:04 PM
Getting arguably the hardest team in pot C has been counterbalanced somewhat by avoiding Italy & France and getting one of the worst - if not the worst - top seed.

As per usual, England somehow manage to get a comfortable group as they do in every other campaign.

Stuttgart88
25/07/2015, 5:04 PM
I'll take that all day long, although I think we'll be 4th!

Bottom seeds tricky but not that much between the top 4, factoring in how I'm still in denial as to how cr@p we are. Wales are doing great but of the top seed options I think they're the best we could have got. No runaway leader and plenty of scope for other teams to drop points. Some winnable away games in theory too. Serbia lost home and away to Denmark in this Euro campaign. They blow hot and cold.

We need JD to bring some drones to Belgrade.

Charlie Darwin
25/07/2015, 5:06 PM
Should be a bit of craic going to Wales anyway. I'll eagerly await paul o'shea's analysis of the game while at my computer.

TheOneWhoKnocks
25/07/2015, 5:11 PM
Serbia no longer have Vidic, Ivanovic will be approaching his mid-thirties and Kolarov has gone off the boil.

Tadic, Dordevic, Djuricic, Tosic, Nastasic and Ljajic are all fine players but none of them are world class nor have they came close to fulfilling their potential, though Ljajic still could.

Matic & aforementioned Ivanovic the only players to fear.

No real goalscorers anywhere in that team - though late bloomer Dordevic is one to watch - so cause to be reasonably optimistic there.

shakermaker1982
Can somebody please explain to me how England always get gimme groups? They'll sleepwalk their way to another qualification.

Our group is competitive because it is so evenly matched. Home form crucial.

zero
there's no fixture in this group where you would think we have no chance of getting a result.

i also anticipate lots of draws though.

zero
25/07/2015, 5:13 PM
Serbia no longer have Vidic, Ivanovic will be approaching his mid-thirties and Kolarov has gone off the boil.

Tadic, Dordevic, Djuricic, Tosic, Nastasic and Ljajic are all fine players but none of them are world class nor have they came close to fulfilling their potential, though Ljajic still could.

Matic & aforementioned Ivanovic the only players to fear.

No real goalscorers anywhere in that team, so cause to be reasonably optimistic there.

they did just win the u20 world cup though... the players from that group will be starting to come of age in the next couple of years.

TheOneWhoKnocks
25/07/2015, 5:15 PM
they did just win the u20 world cup though... the players from that group will be starting to come of age in the next couple of years.

That's true, but at a similar age players like Tosic and Kuzmanovic were hyped up and they haven't come anywhere close to fulfilling that hype.

TheOneWhoKnocks
25/07/2015, 5:17 PM
Can somebody please explain to me how England always get gimme groups? They'll sleepwalk their way to another qualification.

Our group is competitive because it is so evenly matched. Home form crucial.

Portugal are also lucky that they got a comfy group; they always toil through qualifying campaigns against teams they should be strolling past.

tetsujin1979
25/07/2015, 5:17 PM
Tony O'Donoghue asking Martin O'Neill if he wants to stay on as manager for the next campaign, and then asks if he'll stay on until the end of this campaign. O'Neill clearly not happy with the line of questioning.

Bungle
25/07/2015, 5:19 PM
Georgia: hardest team in the pot. Still should be 6 points.
Moldova: arguably the best team we could have got in their pot. Should be 6 points.
Serbia: the best team in pot 3 in my opinion. Some world class players and brilliant talent coming through. They seem to argue with each other and unlike Croatia, they don't deliver as a national tea. If we could take 2 points off them I'd be delighted. If they click, they will walk this group.
Austria: a decent team with one great player. We need to aim for 4 points with this lot. I'd settle for 2 if it was offered to me though. It could have been much worse.
Wales: the best top seed we could have got. Two really outstanding players and a few established premier league players. Man for man, I think we're better in most positions, but they are a much better and classier version of Scotland. Bale could do serious damage to us. We need at least 4 points off them.

As disillusioned as I am with the team right now, I think we have a decent enough chance of winning that. We are rightly fourth favourites but nothing to greatly fear. A big win against Serbia or Austria or going to Cardiff and winning could be the difference, as I see very little between the top 4.

tricky_colour
25/07/2015, 5:22 PM
Can't complain about that, could have been in with Spain and Italy :D
Austria and Serbia sounds better in theory.
Amazing to think we are in the same pot as Faeroe Islands though, you would not have believed 10 years ago!