Sh!t.

Fair_play_boy
08/12/2004, 4:31 PM
He is no loss whatsoever.Oh, no, another wind-up merchant. :rolleyes:

Colm
08/12/2004, 4:35 PM
he is no loss whatsoever.

Agreed.
He never really impressed me anytime I saw him play a full game for the u21's, he did show glimpes of potential when he came on for the first team v Derry and Bohs alright but nothing near enough to convince me he's good enough for Cork City.

Gary
08/12/2004, 4:55 PM
While being a handy player, he didnt really add anything to the City squad.

TBH, its good to have that full time wage off the books.

Troy.McClure
08/12/2004, 4:59 PM
Good. Id rather they burn money to keep us warn when we go to Bray than pay him, he was useless.

Pablo
08/12/2004, 5:13 PM
he was in Barrack street today so he's not gone yet lads

adamd164
08/12/2004, 5:17 PM
I'm not going to lie and say I saw him in enough u21 games to really know one way or the other but look promising for the full team IMO anyway.

GavinZac
08/12/2004, 6:52 PM
he never signed a longer contract so its not a surprise.

Troy.McClure
08/12/2004, 7:26 PM
he was in Barrack street today so he's not gone yet lads

Shouldnt this be in the Player Spotting thread? :o

I saw him a few times and looked out of his depth, especially for one of the fulltimers. He only looked ok in the 1 u21 game that I saw (the semifinal against Shels). He made a stupid foul for the first peno against UCD in the u21 Final too. A 30 minute spell as a sub against Derry shouldnt be anything to go by really.

pete
10/12/2004, 3:12 PM
He not good enough for outsider. For his abilities be better off promoting u-21 player to 1st team squad & give more encentive to other u-21ers.

Dricky
10/12/2004, 3:45 PM
As a player from abroad he has to be comiong straight into the first team, no point in signing him otherwise. pity because the speed he could whip a ball in is what we need in midfield.

SSS
11/12/2004, 7:06 AM
The guy could hold the ball well enough but didn't use his height in the air, didn't show urgency off the ball and could only play the simplest of passes.
Was he really better than Mucka? :confused:

No loss.(IMO)

niamh
11/12/2004, 2:57 PM
He wasn't good enough from a long way out, so why did we hang onto him for so long or even sign him in the first place?

A face
12/12/2004, 1:13 AM
Was he really better than Mucka? :confused:

No loss.(IMO)

Now Mucka was a loss ... never got the run that he should have, thought he had the makings of a great player to be honest.

francie
14/12/2004, 12:43 PM
He had only one foot couldnt use the right peg at all reminded me of the late great steve gaughan who also would turn 180 degrees to get back onto his good foot no loss

GavinZac
14/12/2004, 12:59 PM
what happened to gaughan? "late great" suggests that he has passed away?

:D

no steven has not passed away, touch wood.

Éanna
14/12/2004, 3:16 PM
gaughan was fella who got way more abuse than he deserved. he wasn't great, but he did his best and really encouraged the younger players round him, and he just got grief in return for it :rolleyes:

eoinh
15/12/2004, 5:30 PM
According to 11 a side. Lopes is off to Torquay on trial. See here (http://www.elevenaside.com/corkcity/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=15171)

pete
16/12/2004, 2:26 PM
gaughan was fella who got way more abuse than he deserved. he wasn't great, but he did his best and really encouraged the younger players round him, and he just got grief in return for it :rolleyes:

He was muck for first half of season but once he got settled in & lot of few stone ;) he improved no end & really commited player if not exactly very talented.

piratemousey
19/12/2004, 12:33 PM
next yell be telling me Kabia was a shoking loss!

yiddo
19/12/2004, 3:18 PM
next yell be telling me Kabia was a shoking loss!

And what about Dobbs ? Another shocking loss to City ;)

jimhacker
20/12/2004, 8:52 AM
And what about Dobbs ? Another shocking loss to City ;)

And, of course, Iorfa!

Fair_play_boy
28/12/2004, 1:37 PM
And, of course, Iorfa!And let's not forget to mention Oisin!!! :D

piratemousey
28/12/2004, 8:25 PM
oh no! i forgot!

kevincronin2000
28/12/2004, 10:04 PM
And let's not forget to mention Oisin!!! :D

:D :D :D :D

piratemousey
05/01/2005, 11:16 AM
was he done for assault when he let the programme fall on someones head at the Bohs match?
after he getting hit with the ball?

eoinh
05/01/2005, 12:35 PM
Torquay look like they are going to sign Lopes. See http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/torquay_united/4148727.stm

Gandhi
07/01/2005, 12:32 PM
Lopes is better than a few of the posters here have given him credit for. In the few chances he did get to play he at least showed the ability to keep the ball on the floor instead of hoofing it. In at least one match towards the end of last season we were going absolutely nowhere, pumping high balls forward and winning none of them till he came on as a sub and started playing it on the floor and panicking the opposition defence. We eventually came back to draw that game but till he came on we were rubbish. I hope things work out for him. I suppose one thing that I would agree with is it's expensive to keep someone on the books fulltime unless you are sure he is going to be in the starting eleven most weeks. If we had the resources for a bigger squad he'd have been worth keeping around in my opinion, at least until he'd been given an extended run in the team to properly evaluate him. He was never given more than the odd cameo appearance, you can't fully judge someone on that

jimhacker
07/01/2005, 4:17 PM
Torquay look like they are going to sign Lopes. See http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/torquay_united/4148727.stm

Yes they have signed him but only on a monthly contract -they obviously believe in him!

Fair_play_boy
11/01/2005, 8:46 PM
Lopes is better than a few of the posters here have given him credit for. In the few chances he did get to play he at least showed the ability to keep the ball on the floor instead of hoofing it. In at least one match towards the end of last season we were going absolutely nowhere, pumping high balls forward and winning none of them till he came on as a sub and started playing it on the floor and panicking the opposition defence. We eventually came back to draw that game but till he came on we were rubbish. I hope things work out for him. I suppose one thing that I would agree with is it's expensive to keep someone on the books fulltime unless you are sure he is going to be in the starting eleven most weeks. If we had the resources for a bigger squad he'd have been worth keeping around in my opinion, at least until he'd been given an extended run in the team to properly evaluate him. He was never given more than the odd cameo appearance, you can't fully judge someone on thatWell Said, Gandhi.
I think his arrival at City was meant to fill the gap which was due to be left by Greg O'Halloran. When Greg and Dolan / Lennox patched things up, and then when Greg went on to play a stormer for the rest of the season, there was no place for Lopez. I feel sorry for the guy. He is a decent footballer, IMO, and just got a bad break with City. I think he will prove his worth with Torquay.