PDA

View Full Version : Bohemians Press Conference, FAO Bohemians Fans

aido_b
08/12/2004, 3:37 PM
At a press conference today in dalymount Des Byrne was unveiled as Gareth farrellys first signing, but what will be of much more interest to Bohs fans is that Honourary Secretary Gerry Cuffe has announced that the Club are to sell the naming rights for Dalymount Park, he said he will be looking for a six figure sum,

Just wondering what Bohs Fans think of this?

Cheers,

Aidan

Longfordian
08/12/2004, 3:51 PM
Naming rights for the stadium eh?..Just goes to show how far ahead LTFC were in being the first Irish club to sell their stadium naming rights ;)

Troy.McClure
08/12/2004, 4:54 PM
Ya, leading the way with Monaghan Utd! :p

Aberdonian Stu
08/12/2004, 5:09 PM
Ooh harsh but fair.

You're still a damned Trin though!

Longfordian
08/12/2004, 5:35 PM
Ah now Monaghan have always been progressive off the field, they've a fine set up up there..They know a good idea when they see one :D

Pablo
08/12/2004, 5:41 PM
100k minimum they want? optimistic IMO

Troy.McClure
08/12/2004, 7:16 PM
I dont think so, Id never have heard of Centurary Homes or Flancare if it wasnt for the grounds. Think about it, you get to have your brand name read out on the news atleast every fortnight & on eL Weekly, in the papers all the time + X amount of thousand who go there regularly. Good advertising IMO

And Aberdonian Stu, Trinity sure beats DCU any-time :D

CollegeTillIDie
08/12/2004, 7:38 PM
I dont think so, Id never have heard of Centurary Homes or Flancare if it wasnt for the grounds. Think about it, you get to have your brand name read out on the news atleast every fortnight & on eL Weekly, in the papers all the time + X amount of thousand who go there regularly. Good advertising IMO

And Aberdonian Stu, Trinity sure beats DCU any-time :D

TRINITY SH1TE :D

Troy.McClure
08/12/2004, 8:09 PM
Hey, I said it beats DCU, not UCD!

Ringo
09/12/2004, 6:51 AM

no one in their right mind would pay that kind of money, 40/50k max

Aberdonian Stu
09/12/2004, 8:13 AM
Actually in an economy with a relatively large media to a small population stadium advertising is one of your best bets. In large economies with large populations like the US you face the possibility of your message (in this case name) being drowned out. In Ireland that is a risk with traditional advertising however selective advertising like this get you a good spread of coverage while the name sticks in the mind.

Passive
09/12/2004, 9:44 AM
I think you're all missing the point somewhat: Dalymount is the oldest ground in the country and was considered to be the home of Irish soccer for most of the last century. With all respect, you can't compare it to a new ground in a field five miles out of Longford. Bohs need the cash but I'd imagine a few fans will be a bit ****ed off. When / If we get to Tallaght, Rovers fans would love the ground to be called Glenmalure Park but the reality is that we will end up flogging the name too.

Colm
09/12/2004, 12:23 PM

I bet they'll have no problems getting it though. With the amount of coverage Bohs and Dalymount gets it's an advertisers dream.
If we actually owned the Cross, we'd make a fortune from naming rights considering the level of media coverage we get.
I think this is the way to go for all clubs that own their grounds.

Schumi
09/12/2004, 12:31 PM
Naming rights for Dalymount won't be as good a deal as Flancare got. Flancare was essentially a new stadium so everyone refers to it as Flancare Park. Is anyone really going to call Dalymount Des Kelly Park or whatever it ends up getting renamed as?

holidaysong
09/12/2004, 12:34 PM
Naming rights for Dalymount won't be as good a deal as Flancare got. Flancare was essentially a new stadium so everyone refers to it as Flancare Park. Is anyone really going to call Dalymount Des Kelly Park or whatever it ends up getting renamed as?

It is like drogs United Park becoming O2 Park - really who ever called it O2 Park?

Aberdonian Stu
09/12/2004, 12:54 PM
The media which is what matters with naming rights as that's the only tangible publicity you can talk about in sponsorship negotiations. The power of word of mouth should never be underestimated but in this case it generally is as it's too hard to quantify.

Troy.McClure
09/12/2004, 3:30 PM
It is like drogs United Park becoming O2 Park - really who ever called it O2 Park?

I did!

The question is will it be Des Kelly Dalymount or Gateaux Park? :p

Longfordian
09/12/2004, 3:40 PM
Stone Island Park surely? :D

Troy.McClure
09/12/2004, 8:01 PM
The Burberry Arena maybe? :eek:

CollegeTillIDie
09/12/2004, 8:10 PM
Hey, I said it beats DCU, not UCD!

Thought you might have been slightly dislexic :D

A face
09/12/2004, 10:47 PM
I bet they'll have no problems getting it though. With the amount of coverage Bohs and Dalymount gets it's an advertisers dream.
If we actually owned the Cross, we'd make a fortune from naming rights considering the level of media coverage we get.
I think this is the way to go for all clubs that own their grounds.

Agreed ...... That would definitely be value for money. Bohs are a side that will always be at the top and contesting for Europe and would be well able to compete once there IMO, with the coverage that Shels and City got this year, anyone sponsoring either club was laughing all the way to the bank, to give us the faction of its value. Any company would do very well for themselves to invest in that give away deal. 100,000 is nothing if it were for 5+ years and it is a give away at that. (how long is it for anyway?)

Longfordian
10/12/2004, 12:08 AM
It's €100,000 per year I think they're looking for, not in total, A Face

A face
10/12/2004, 12:46 AM
It's €100,000 per year I think they're looking for, not in total, A Face

Alright ... thats fair enough so :p

Out of curiosity ... What did it cost for Flancare Park and Century Homes Park naming rights ??

Longfordian
10/12/2004, 12:54 AM
Couldn't tell you about CHP but if i recall correctly we got around £100,000 over 3 years for our initial Flancare deal and I think the new deal was increased, not sure of the figures, it's up for renewal again at the end of next season but given the very strong relationship between club and sponsor I'd imagine we'll be sticking with them.

BohDiddley
11/12/2004, 11:35 AM
They can call it anything they want just so that Dessie has to read it out on Morning Ireland all the time.
I couldn't care less if its: 'And last night Bohs thumped local rivals Shels (Hoops relegated at this stage) 3-0 at Johnson's Baby Oil Kind to Your Skin Park'
Dalymount, as the former international venue and even as a concert venue (disclosure: I saw Bob Marley there!) is etched in the minds of generations of Irish people, or at least Dubs. There'll always be a Dalyer!

A face
11/12/2004, 1:10 PM
Johnson's Baby Oil Kind to Your Skin Park'

How about "lemon fresh three hands washing up liquid park"

It has a better ring to it doesn't it.

BohDiddley
11/12/2004, 3:09 PM
How about "lemon fresh three hands washing up liquid park"

It has a better ring to it doesn't it.
If three-and-a-half hands are willing to pay more, that's ok.

Breifne
13/12/2004, 12:55 AM
Trinity sure beats DCU any-time :D

I'm gonna stick up for the north siders in this one. neither Trinity or UCD managed to defeat DCU in the Universities League this season. 2-2 was the final score in both games. Trinity 2-0 down at the break, only managed to come into it in the second half.