PDA

View Full Version : Dollar Exchange Rate

Peadar
07/12/2004, 2:01 PM
GBP1 is worth about USD1.95 right now.
EUR1 is worth about USD1.34 right now.

So it's not going to be news to most of you that now is a good time to shop in the US. However there seems to be some great value on the Internet now too. I just got a 1GB CF Ultra II (http://www.esend.com/sandisk/product.asp?sku=SDCFH%2D1024%2D901&mscssid=PWPK0V20P9B28KVAPJ0RMGSDNM7D48GC) card for a little over $100 on ebay. (http://www.ebay.com/)
These retail at around GBP120.00 over here.
Might start my Christmas shopping now...

dahamsta
07/12/2004, 2:16 PM
Just watch out for the import duty and other bits and bobs lads. All those savings could come back and bite you in the arse if you don't shop wisely. (Cost + post & packing + duty + VAT.)

adam

Peadar
07/12/2004, 2:21 PM
All those savings could come back and bite you in the arse if you don't shop wisely. (Cost + post & packing + duty + VAT.)

The price I quoted includes the shipping.
There's not VAT apparently!

With a saving of around GBP50.00 it will be a great purchase.
I'll follow this up with a report on how it goes.

wws
07/12/2004, 3:34 PM
your like a one man Which? magazine Peadar

keep the reviews coming!

dahamsta
07/12/2004, 3:37 PM
The price I quoted includes the shipping.
There's not VAT apparently!If you get caught for duty you'll pay VAT on the product plus the shipping and any other incidentals. If the shipping isn't quoted on the import docket it'll be estimated, and believe me, they estimate high! (Got caught rotten on a bust of tshirts last year.)

Legally, US firms are supposed to be charging VAT these days and sending the duties back to the European Union. Most of them don't obviously, so customs are entitled to levy it here if it hasn't been over there.

Sorry to be negative, I just don't want to see people getting caught out.

adam

wws
07/12/2004, 3:40 PM
its true

i bought something last year and got hit with a lot of unexpected charges at the irish end - still worked out cheaper (but not as dramaticly cheaper as i first thought!)

Peadar
08/12/2004, 8:05 AM
i bought something last year and got hit with a lot of unexpected charges at the irish end

But I don't live in Ireland.
Fingers crossed!

Jim Smith
08/12/2004, 8:36 AM
I Ireland the job of charging the VAT etc. on materials imported from outside the EU has been sub-contracted to a private firm based in (I think) Dublin Airport. About 18 months ago I got hammered buying some technical software form a US company whose European distributors are based in Switzerland of all places. By the time the import and currency conversion charges were added on I really wished I'd got a friend in the States to buy it and post it over in a box saying it was children's shoes.

Jim

Peadar
20/12/2004, 8:42 AM
The card turned up on Wednesday.
It had been mailed on the 8th.
Royal Mail opened it and then sealed it again saying that it had been found that way. Not VAT as promised.
Happy days.