PDA

View Full Version : Aiden McGeady

Pages : [1] 2

McGeady10
07/12/2004, 1:51 PM
he must start the next international.

If he's good enough to get in the Celtic team he's more than good enough for our starting XI.

Bowsy
07/12/2004, 1:55 PM
he must start the next international.

If he's good enough to get in the Celtic team he's more than good enough for our starting XI.

Bit strong that. Lot of potential but Celtic are hardly Arsenal.

Risteard
07/12/2004, 1:56 PM
First of all, it should be pointed out that you are hardly unbiased.
Why do you talk about yourself in the third person? :cool:

Though he looks talented enough, just cos he can partner lardass Hartson doesn't get him an irish place. Morrison has looked good lately and the lad Duff is more than capable.

McGeady looks promising and his time will come or should i say
tiocfaidh ar la?
;)

Kingdom
07/12/2004, 1:58 PM
I liked most of what I've seen of him so far. Whatever about must start th next international he probably should become a reg in the squads. I got annoyed earlier in the season when he first 'broke onto the scene', that although O'Neill would play him in the mundane SPL games and then wouldn't start him in the Old Firm and some of the European matches (which had nothing to do with fitness I was led to believe)

Stuttgart88
07/12/2004, 2:15 PM

Interesting logic. He's only been a regular for Celtic in the last few weeks for a start.

In most positions I think you'd find the Ireland player would dominate his Celtic equivalent.

Would David Marshall get in the Ireland team? Stan Varga? Joos Valgaeren on recent form? Ross Wallace? Didier "I'm fast but f*** all else" Agathe?

I'd like to see McGeady involved but realistically he's competing for the RHM spot with Finnan, Andy Reid and probably Steven Reid now too. I'd play McGeady ahead of Miller RHM though.

In terms of the next international, I think Kerr should go with the XI he wants to start in Israel.

Kingdom
07/12/2004, 2:17 PM
"Though he looks talented enough, just cos he can partner lardass Hartson doesn't get him an irish place. Morrison has looked good lately and the lad Duff is more than capable"

Isn't he not a wide midfielder? Yes Duff is capable on the left but we are far from fixed on the right.

tiktok
07/12/2004, 2:21 PM
........but we are far from fixed on the right.

Stephen Reid and Steve Finnan would beoth get the nod from me far ahead of McGeady

drinkfeckarse
07/12/2004, 2:24 PM
From what I've seen, McGeady is twice the player Steven Reid is. Looks a bit special and has massive potential.

Only problem is O'Neill seems reluctant to play him in the big games. I'm off to Parkhead later for the match and I'd be surprised if he starts which ****es me off because he should be starting with the form he's in. :mad:

Kingdom
07/12/2004, 2:27 PM
Stephen Reid and Steve Finnan would beoth get the nod from me far ahead of McGeady

At the moment if we were playing a 4-4-2 I'd have Finnan on the right. But as I posted earlier I would have McGeady in the squad for the friendly with the atlanticos- apologies Portugal!

Stevie Reid seems to be back on track like pre WC2002 and if he reaches his potential which is very possible we could have some good optins on both wings.

Bowsy
07/12/2004, 2:38 PM
Stevie Reid seems to be back on track like pre WC2002 and if he reaches his potential which is very possible we could have some good optins on both wings.

yeah, been looking more the player people thought he'd be in recent times but has still a lot to do. Hopefully he'll get a good run and not get relegated with Blackburn. Can still be a very good player for Ireland.

For the moment I'd stick with Finnan or Reid (depending on the opposition) on the right hand side.

barglee
07/12/2004, 2:47 PM

what a ridiculous statement.
I like Celtic but to be honest it doesnt take much to play for them.
Its like saying that if graham kavanagh is good enough for cardiff he's good enough for Ireland.

still i ilke mcgeady and think he's a good prospect for the future but will prob have to move to england to fulfill his potential

drinkfeckarse
07/12/2004, 3:09 PM
I like Celtic but to be honest it doesnt take much to play for them.

Of course it doesn't, they're all pub league standard. That's why they play in the Champions League regularly and got to the Uefa Cup Final 2 seasons ago.

What a ridiculous statement...educate yourself man. :mad: :rolleyes:

Just because they play in a weak league doesn't mean the players aren't up to much.......

barglee
07/12/2004, 3:17 PM
Of course it doesn't, they're all pub league standard. That's why they play in the Champions League regularly and got to the Uefa Cup Final 2 seasons ago.

What a ridiculous statement...educate yourself man. :mad: :rolleyes:

Just because they play in a weak league doesn't mean the players aren't up to much.......

They play in the champions league regularly beacuse as you said it -they play in a weak league and thats how they qualify....

They dont progress in the champions league because theyre not that good...

Im a celtic supporter but i just dont think playing for them alone justifies an Ireland call up.

McGeady10
07/12/2004, 3:30 PM
Agathe would walk into the Ireland team. The guys one of the best right backs in Britain. Ask Duffer cause he marked him out of the Celtic v Blackburn tie and also marked Ronaldinho out of a couple of games.

McGeady/Duffer/Robbie Keane are our hopes for WC2006. Get them playing with eachother now and we could see fireworks in Germany!

drinkfeckarse
07/12/2004, 3:31 PM
They play in the champions league regularly beacuse as you said it -they play in a weak league and thats how they qualify....

They dont progress in the champions league because theyre not that good...

Im a celtic supporter but i just dont think playing for them alone justifies an Ireland call up.

Playing for Celtic doesn't automatically justify a call up for Ireland like you said, I never said that it did.

I also agree that we don't progress in the CL because we're not TOP quality. This season is the first season that we were automatically into it, both other times we had to play qualifiers.

You were suggesting that to play for Celtic, you don't necessarily have to be much good which quite simply....is a load of sh!te. Even the most blinkered of anti Celtic fans on this site would agree with me there. (I think!)

eirebhoy
07/12/2004, 3:46 PM
Just a few points, your first point is silly in that getting into the Celtic team doesn't mean you should be in the Ireland team just like people think being a Man U player means you have to be in the team. I think you'd know being a Celtic fan that making a comment like that is only going to get your club a bit of stick as you and I both know (me also being a Celtic supporter) that Celtic are not world beaters. Agathe is an absolutely superb right back but thats neither here nor there. McGeady can play anywhere but defence or in goal.

One thing I would say though is that he is ahead of Juninho, Pearson and Wallace atm for a starting place. Wallace has tremendous potential so it takes a lot to keep him and the other two out of the team.

I think McGeady will start tonight judging by MON's comments so keep an eye on it.

Stuttgart88
07/12/2004, 4:13 PM
I have to take issue with you over Agathe. I think he's absolute trash. He's lightning fast but this is all he has. If he's that good how come nobody has ever come in for him?

His crossing & passing is absolutely atrocious, mainly because he never loooks up. The number of times he skins his man and then wastes everything by ballooning over a rubbish cross is infuriating. Remember the OF game last year when Larsson was unmarked in the middle in a 2 on 1 and Agathe carried the ball to an impossible angle and shot uselessly at Klos?

Eirebhoy, you're a big statistics fan: how many assists does Agathe provide? Nowhere near as many as times as Thompson & others I'd say.

The only time I can remember him putting in the killer pass from a promising position was a great pass to Sutton away to Stuttgart.

eirebhoy
07/12/2004, 4:21 PM
I would agree 110% with what you said if we were judging Agathe as a winger but he has been a full back for the best part of a year and has been keeping McNamara on the left all that time. He was shít on the wing but he is a superb tackler and keeps most players in his pocket with his pace. It would be like slating Kilbane because he has been poor on the left wing for us almost every time he's played there.

Stuttgart88
07/12/2004, 4:21 PM
McGeady/Duffer/Robbie Keane are our hopes for WC2006. Get them playing with eachother now and we could see fireworks in Germany!

I say let's get to Germany first. McGeady will have another year and a half's experience by then.

I don't doubt he should be in the squad already and he's a very useful option to come off the bench. He admitted himself in an interview after the Hibs game (in which I understand he was excellent) that he gave the ball away too much. You can't give the ball away cheaply in internationals.

I doubt I'll see him tonight as I'm going to Arsenal vs R'borg. I'll give Harald Brattbakk a cheer for his goal against St. Johnstone!

Stuttgart88
07/12/2004, 4:24 PM
I would agree 110% with what you said if we were judging Agathe as a winger but he has been a full back for the best part of a year and has been keeping McNamara on the left all that time. He was shít on the wing but he is a superb tackler and keeps most players in his pocket with his pace. It would be like slating Kilbane because he has been poor on the left wing for us almost every time he's played there.

He still drives me mad!

eirebhoy
07/12/2004, 4:31 PM
He still drives me mad!
hehe, just forget he ever was a winger. I know it might take a while for the memories to go. ;) BTW, just searched for SPL stats and found a great PDF file which obviously gets updated fairly regularly:
http://www.kilmarnockfc.co.uk/stats/sts_041106.pdf

Wouldn't have thought Petrov would be the most fouled player in the league.

Slash/ED
07/12/2004, 6:35 PM
Does he start tonight? Sorry if it's been posted somewhere and I've just missed it.

eirebhoy
07/12/2004, 7:43 PM
Yeah he started and he is one of the 2 or 3 best players on the pitch. playing very well.

ken foree
07/12/2004, 7:43 PM
apparently he's been cellic's best player in the first half, skinning colocini and nesta on different occasions, provided a cross for sutton (header wide) and cut in from the left and shot just over the bar from distance

ken foree
07/12/2004, 7:44 PM
oops, snap, eirebhoy :o

Slash/ED
07/12/2004, 7:44 PM
Incidentally, not sure if this is the right thread or not, but Duff scored for Chelsea today against Porto.

Thanks for the info lads.

ken foree
07/12/2004, 7:49 PM
Incidentally, not sure if this is the right thread or not, but Duff scored for Chelsea today against Porto.

Thanks for the info lads.

yes yes great for duffer, there are photo sets of both matches up on uefa.com

eirebhoy
07/12/2004, 8:44 PM
I'm as down as I could possibly be after that result. :( McGeady was class though and got a couple of claps from Nesta. I think he misplaced 2 passes in the whole game and both times he won the ball back.

Plastic Paddy
07/12/2004, 8:54 PM
I'm as down as I could possibly be after that result. :(

So am I. You are not alone. :(

McGeady was class though and got a couple of claps from Nesta. I think he misplaced 2 passes in the whole game and both times he won the ball back.

Maybe some of his colleagues might have taken note. Henri Camara? A disgrace to the colours. Send him back to Wolves now. Pathetic.

:mad: PP

brine3
07/12/2004, 9:10 PM
Didier "I'm fast but f*** all else" Agathe?

In fiarness Agathe might get in ahead of Kevin "I'm fairly fast but **** all else" Kilbane.

Condex
07/12/2004, 9:16 PM
Best Celtic player by a mile, great balance, touch, vision and passing
the majority of his teammates are a bunch of hackers out of their depth against the top teams like Milan.

Can see O'Neill moving on not much mileage with this team without money, and if McGeady keeps up this sort of form a move to the premiership is on the cards.

skbio_toronto
07/12/2004, 9:24 PM
I have to take issue with you over Agathe. I think he's absolute trash. He's lightning fast but this is all he has. If he's that good how come nobody has ever come in for him?

His crossing & passing is absolutely atrocious, mainly because he never loooks up. The number of times he skins his man and then wastes everything by ballooning over a rubbish cross is infuriating. Remember the OF game last year when Larsson was unmarked in the middle in a 2 on 1 and Agathe carried the ball to an impossible angle and shot uselessly at Klos?

Eirebhoy, you're a big statistics fan: how many assists does Agathe provide? Nowhere near as many as times as Thompson & others I'd say.

The only time I can remember him putting in the killer pass from a promising position was a great pass to Sutton away to Stuttgart.

In fairness, I think Eirebhoy was referring to Agathe's defensive qualities as a right full back rather than his impact going forward.

Someone mentioned on this thread that he's quite possibly the best right full back in Britain. I'd actually go along with Agathe as a pure defender. His pace and tenacity in the tackle make him a very diffcult proposition for any aspiring left winger.

Just a moot point, but a point worth making nonetheless.

SKBIO-TOR

skbio_toronto
07/12/2004, 9:27 PM
In fiarness Agathe might get in ahead of Kevin "I'm fairly fast but **** all else" Kilbane.

Ahem, get a tape of the France game and actually watch the game sober. Maybe, just maybe...you'll realise that stereotype of Kevin Kilbane is simply not true.

SKBIO-TOR

eirebhoy
07/12/2004, 9:32 PM
the majority of his teammates are a bunch of hackers out of their depth against the top teams like Milan.
We were the better team tonight (Milan didn't get one shot on target) and dominated the second half in the San Siro. I would obviously agree that Milan are a far superior team but there's no need for calling the team hackers (Milan actually conceded more fouls). Quit the silly trolling.

sylvo
07/12/2004, 10:34 PM

Maybe some of his colleagues might have taken note. Henri Camara? A disgrace to the colours. Send him back to Wolves now. Pathetic.

Only seen the second half due to the wheels of my waggon being superglued to the slow lane of the M25, but I was impressed with McGeady he had the beating of that fella that looked like scary spice nearly all the time, his run and through ball which was sent into Sutton were a cracker and at the end of the game he seemed to be the only one who was still trying to charge into the Milan half and take the game to them.

Plastic Paddy
08/12/2004, 7:28 AM
Best Celtic player by a mile, great balance, touch, vision and passing the majority of his teammates are a bunch of hackers out of their depth against the top teams like Milan.

But the results say it all and two draws this season against two of the world's best says it all. Not bad for a "bunch of hackers" :rolleyes:

Can see O'Neill moving on not much mileage with this team without money,

You dismiss the team as an afterthought. Don't forget i) that this is O'Neill's team and ii) what they've achieved. Great things from good and average players, and in one former case, a world-class player. But I'm starting to agree with you. How he hasn't left before now is beyond me. Maybe because there's only one club in British football that's any bigger. :)

and if McGeady keeps up this sort of form a move to the premiership is on the cards.

Not a chance mate. It'll be a while coming yet. The boy's a Bhoy and he's just signed a four-year contract. He won't be heading south just yet.

Only seen the second half due to the wheels of my waggon being superglued to the slow lane of the M25, but I was impressed with McGeady... at the end of the game he seemed to be the only one who was still trying to charge into the Milan half and take the game to them.

The boy's looking good. It's a shame the rest of the team is looking jaded, but who can blame them? The team's crying out to be strengthened, but the board will use this as an excuse not to buy any players in January. I expect Celtic to win the SPL, but it will be the last European adventure for a while if there's no investment. Hardly the incentive to persuade young players like McGeady to commit to the club in the longer term.

:ball: PP

Hibs4Ever
08/12/2004, 7:38 AM
As a die hard Hibs fan with a fond hatred for Celtic (delighted to see them knocked out last night) I have to admit McGeady was brilliant last night. He can only get better too. WELL DONE

drinkfeckarse
08/12/2004, 8:02 AM
I was listening to the radio last night on the way home from the match and I thought O'Neill made a very good point.

When asked if he was disappointed in his team, he said he was disappointed with the outcome but proud of his team.

He also pointed out that when he first took over 4 years ago, Celtic had to play a QUALIFIER to get into the UEFA Cup. It's a measure of how far this team has come in little time that now we are getting automatic qualification into the Champions League and the fans are getting dissapointed when we draw at home to AC Milan.

Spot on Martin.

Stuttgart88
08/12/2004, 8:44 AM
Was at Arsenal last night but taped the second half of Celtic (just got SKY Plus - bloody brilliant!).

McGeady looked really good and will surely become a real star.

Back to the main point though: we've got some crucial matches coming up in the spring and injuries aside, I'd still put Finnan and Reid on RHM ahead of McGeady for Tel Aviv.

Hibs4Ever
08/12/2004, 9:01 AM
Is everyone forgetting the option of Matt Holland on Right Midfield? Cause Roy and Kilbane will definitely be in the middle. He's also been playing there for Charlton. I'd go with Holland on the right

Stuttgart88
08/12/2004, 9:35 AM
Holland doesn't convince me on the right. In my mind he's central midfield cover at this stage, most likely for Keane.

I thought Finnan had gone off the boil since Japan but I think he's recovering his form and was really solid in Paris. I saw him up close at the Croatia game and I thought he was quality.

eirebhoy
08/12/2004, 9:38 AM
Hartson:

'I thought young Aiden was world class tonight.He's only 18 and I would have to say he is the best 18-year-old I have ever seen.

'He was brilliant and we tried to get the ball out to him as often as possible. We all know how good a player he was and he was different class out there.

'For one so young he looked as if he had been playing at that level all his life.

'I just spoke to my dad and he was talking about Aiden. He couldn't believe he was still only 18.

'Aiden has a great future at Celtic. I think he'll stay here because I believe he's a Celtic supporter anda local boy at that.

'He can go on to have a great future in football.'

Bowsy
08/12/2004, 10:20 AM
McGeady was class last night. Really convinced me he can be a truly great player in years to come. I would agree with Stuttgart though and would stick with Finnan and Reid for upcoming games. There's nothing to say that McGeady won't make that position his own though in the near future.

Stuttgart88
08/12/2004, 10:33 AM
That's high praise from Hartson alright, but do you remember Larsson's similar comments about Miller after the Anderlecht game last year?

I still have faith that Miller can deliver but I'd prefer him to be more prominent week-in, week-out.

It's all looking good though with McGeady, Flood & Elliott all gaining the plaudits this season. Duff is on fire and Steven Reid is getting back into things. KK is an integral part of Everton's revival, and so on...

tarzan_bray
08/12/2004, 2:08 PM

I agree, was at the game and Camara was a headless chicken, Lennon should also be dropped for future European games, always giving the ball away

McGeady showed excellent first time control and composure, he will be an Irish regular, I have no doubt about that

Junior
08/12/2004, 3:33 PM
Lennon should also be dropped for future European games, always giving the ball away

You cannot have watched Lennon in many european games for Celtic. One of our most consistent performers at that level. Last night was not one of his better games, however still performed an admirable job in breaking down milans play and (more often than not keeping posession)

eirebhoy
08/12/2004, 3:38 PM
When saying drop Lennon you have to think who is replacement is, Paul "turn up for training every 5 weeks" Lambert. Unless you want to stick a tried and failed (at Euro 2004) Petrov in the holding role Lennon is the only option. BTW, he got the fans player of the year last season and has been doing well this season IMO. If you're going to drop players for giving the ball away a few times Thompson would be first for the chop.

tarzan_bray
08/12/2004, 3:50 PM
You cannot have watched Lennon in many european games for Celtic. One of our most consistent performers at that level. Last night was not one of his better games, however still performed an admirable job in breaking down milans play and (more often than not keeping posession)

believe me mate I have watched nearly all of Celtic's European games and unfortunately Lennon is very slack with his passing, it happened in Anderlecht last year when we lost 1-0, it happened in Shaktar, Milan etc. etc., he just doesn't cut it at the highest level anymore in my opinion

tarzan_bray
08/12/2004, 3:51 PM
When saying drop Lennon you have to think who is replacement is, Paul "turn up for training every 5 weeks" Lambert. Unless you want to stick a tried and failed (at Euro 2004) Petrov in the holding role Lennon is the only option. BTW, he got the fans player of the year last season and has been doing well this season IMO. If you're going to drop players for giving the ball away a few times Thompson would be first for the chop.

Roy Maurice Keane anyone

Plastic Paddy
08/12/2004, 4:57 PM
Roy Maurice Keane anyone

Light touch paper and stand well back... :eek: :D

:D PP