PDA

View Full Version : Best gig you attended

Pages : [1] 2

Dublin12
07/12/2004, 12:48 PM
Well,whats the best one you ever went to??.I've seen loads of bands and for me there are 2 gigs that were simply outstanding and I can't say which one was the best,anyway it was either U2 at the SFX in 1982 or Pixies at the Mean Fiddler London 1988.

Karlos
07/12/2004, 12:53 PM
2 stick out for me

Prince @ the Point in Oct. 2002 (rehersal, gig & aftershow at spirit - over 7 hours of live Music!)

the Godfather of Soul, Mr. James Brown @ Vicar Street in August 2004.

loads of other decent gigs but those two were amazing!

tiktok
07/12/2004, 12:58 PM
Radiohead in the Castlegar Sports grounds in Galway (support by the Cardigans, the Bluetones, Divine Copmedy and Neneh Cherry) was exceptional.

Doves supported by Starsailor in the Annex in Cork a few years back was probably the best small gig, actually Ash played supported by a very young Snow Patrol a few days later as I remember it, that was good too. :)

cullenswood
07/12/2004, 12:58 PM
Probably Faithless in the Olympia about 4 or 5 years back. Class gig, with two massive drum kits at either side of the stage banging out the thumps!!! Best bit was Maxi Jazz standing on top one of the kits while the two drummers went hell for leather!

Hibs4Ever
07/12/2004, 1:03 PM
Duran Duran at the Point a few months back was QUALITY

Risteard
07/12/2004, 1:04 PM
The Olympia is a hole but Franz Ferdinand shook the place to bits there last month.
I saw Wilt in the half moon and i think it was their last gig (open to correction).
The place went crazy at the end (stage invasion) so that had the best atmosphere.

razor
07/12/2004, 1:06 PM
Pixies at Reading in 1990, Wedding Present in Sir Henrys can't remember the year or Morrissey in the Opera House 1999, crap venue but anything to see Morrissey. Also saw Lloyd Cole in the Half Moon recently, acoustic set, was a really excellent night.

liam88
07/12/2004, 1:09 PM
Floggin Molly-Islington 2 weeks ago!
Also Cephas underground at Cheltanem racecourse during Greenbelt fest!

fosterdollar
07/12/2004, 1:12 PM
U2 at Lansdowne Road in '97 (The Sunday night after Princess Diana had been killed). I went with my brother who had been to the Zoo Tour gig and he reckoned POP wasn't a patch on that. It was probably just the extravagance of it but it did make a rather big impression on me.

Honourable mentions:
Frames at Longford Festival 1995 (crowd surfing down Ballymahon Street - who wudda thunk it?);

FLC gigs in Olympia;

Midnight at the Olympia shows - Australian Pink Floyd, The Stoned Roses, etc.;

Doves at Witnness 2000;

Basement Jaxx at Oxegen 2004

Worst gig:
Chilis in Phoenix Park this year

Self-Indulgence:
The band I played in supported Whipping Boy in 1996 in Longford. They were bang on to us as well and were the reason we got paid when we never would have looked for it ourselves. Deadly.

fosterdollar
07/12/2004, 1:16 PM
oh, and Shane MacGowan and the POGUES in the Student Bar a couple of years ago. He wouldn't come out for ages amid rumours that he would only take stage after being supplied a few lines of coke. :D Yeah, hardly. They played the Freshers Ball one year as well but that was a joke. Saw Bell X1 in the bar once as well - they were pretty good. The Frank & Walters played an excellent gig to a totally indifferent crowd once. That was a bit disappointing. God they're all streaming back to me now

Risteard
07/12/2004, 1:18 PM
U2 Slane.
How did i forget?
Twas magical. Its nigh on impossible to get that magical atmosphere when you're playing in a field to 80,000 people.

noby
07/12/2004, 1:18 PM
Sultans of Ping, Conna castle, early 90's - class. Lots of farmers there to watch the paddys, looking on bemused.

Spiritualized, Feile mid 90's. Played after the headline act, ****ed rain and only about 200 people stayed to watch.

Tortoise/Stereo Lab, Nancy Spains probably mid 90's again.

James
07/12/2004, 1:40 PM
frames - a planetarium in brno in czech republic in 2002.. deadly acoustic gig with excellent visuals of stars and images etc

REM slane in 95

whipping boy - the pumphouse (now reardons on wash st) waaay back 95/96ish

bellx1 - debarra's 2 years ago

snowpatrol - this years oxygen festival

mark geary - blackbird in ballycotton 2ish years ago

something happens - henrys

James
07/12/2004, 1:44 PM
oh radiohead in the RDS, the night after they played that infamous gig in the sportsgrounds in galway

Flea
07/12/2004, 3:15 PM
bob dylan at the point two year ago

carrickharp
07/12/2004, 3:33 PM
Guns N Roses Slane '92

Faith No More Point '92

Megadeath SFX '03

Dricky
07/12/2004, 3:57 PM
Rory Gallagher Lark by the Lee.

second and it's a long way off first. Kraftwork. last year in Lux

tetsujin1979
07/12/2004, 5:24 PM
U2 at Slane, only got my ticket the day before the gig, then myself and 3 mates conned our way into the pit for the chillis and U2, classic stuff

strangeirish
07/12/2004, 5:55 PM
Bruce Springsteen, Slane (Long time ago) 1985. Paid 15 quid for a ticket! Mad!

U2, Tampa Florida, Joshua Tree 1987. Fookin' brilliant.

liam88
07/12/2004, 5:55 PM
U2 Slane.
How did i forget?
Twas magical. Its nigh on impossible to get that magical atmosphere when you're playing in a field to 80,000 people.

I found that magical to.................and that was from watching it on DVD! What a legendary gig! :eek: :D
You are so lucky!

CollegeTillIDie
07/12/2004, 7:19 PM
Best ten gigs attended in date order.

The Stranglers 1979 National Stadium
Gary Numan ... 1981 Wembley Arena
ABC 1982 SFX
Simple Minds 1982 SFX
Roxy Music 1982 RDS Main Hall
Thin Lizzy 1983 RDS Simmonscourt
Queen 1984 RDS Simmonscourt
Foreigner 1985 RDS Simmonscourt
Roxy Music 2001 The Point
Gary Numan 2002 Vicar Street

Dotsy
08/12/2004, 11:25 AM
Three that stand out for me

Black Sabbath at Dalymount (think it was 1983 Christ my head was sore after non stop headbanging for three hours)
Bob Dylan at Slane 1984
The Stones Copenhagen 1995

Macy
08/12/2004, 12:12 PM
Self-Indulgence:
The band I played in supported Whipping Boy in 1996 in Longford. They were bang on to us as well and were the reason we got paid when we never would have looked for it ourselves. Deadly.
I remember seeing Whipping Boy, but didn't know you were the support - but then I wouldn't have known you or other Magoo at that stage :D

Anyway - bar magoo's band at the Longford Festival.....

The Stone Roses - Feile 95
To see them back and to hear the baseline of I Wanna be Adored kicking in was amazing

The Beta Band - Manchester University 98 (I think).
Only knew one of their ep's at that stage, and the audio visual performance blew me away. Sad to see them splitting, one of the most underrated bands ever (in years to come they will be a reference point for late 90's early 00's music).

Alabama 3 - Manchester University around the same time.
They were just on the scene, and still doing the full preacher act, and again very different from everything else at the time.

The Charlatans - Manchester Apollo 94
Just on the way back up to the big time - brilliant gig.

corkharps
08/12/2004, 1:43 PM
Cocteau Twins in Utrect 1990.
Jesus and Mary Chain SFX (God only knows how long ago!)15min gig.
Whipping Boy in the Underground and in The Mt Errigal,L'kenny.(early 90's)
Sonic Youth,Munich,1989.
Stars of Heaven,McGonagles (early 90's)

Really showing my age here! :eek:

noby
08/12/2004, 2:58 PM
Jesus and Mary Chain SFX (God only knows how long ago!)15min gig.

15min?
Back in the early days so?
Was Bobby Gillespie still the drummer?

Dublin12
08/12/2004, 3:03 PM
I was at that one,it was actually 20 minutes :D
Bobby G was the drummer,the band played with their backs to the audience,played most of the 1st album,dressed all in black leathers,cool as fcuk too :cool: ,but ever get the feeling you've been cheated as someone once said :rolleyes: and my ears were sore for a week after too

Pat O' Banton
08/12/2004, 5:31 PM
Inspiral Carpets at Brixton in about '94, outstanding that night but also one of the the most consistantly brilliant live bands that I have seen.

My Bloody Valentine at the old T&C '91 the encore had 'You made realise' was about fifteen minutes of white noise, there was something about it that was just keep you watching.

This year The Pixies at The Forum (despite the ropey tasting lager) were superb.

Troy.McClure
08/12/2004, 7:51 PM
U2 at Slane (the one in the DVD). Best feeling ever when MacAteer scored against Holand and a field with 80000 people went balistic. Still makes me appreciate being there & the DVD is great because you always forget a few of the details + the tocan topless girl was right next to us :) Quality :) Poeple go on about the support for the first gig but Moby and Ash arent half bad!

2nd would be Damian Rice in UCD. Id never heard his stuff before then but he blew everyone away, he was amazing and stayed behind after for every one who wanted their photo with him.

Worst gig would be Mark Geary, Im not trusting James' taste in music again :p

gustavo
08/12/2004, 10:59 PM
best overall gig i wud say would be the oxegen esp for strokes darkness kings of leon . best set ive seen would be the pixies this year .

Pat O' Banton
09/12/2004, 3:49 AM
Should also of mentioned The Pouges about two years ago at Brixton, they were absolutely phenominal and Shane McGowan this St. Patrick's day gone may have been about three quaters of an hour late but still had me leeping like a salmon. (An honourable mention for this goes to Mark Radcliff's The Family Mahone who were the support and were brilliant too.)

The Good Son
09/12/2004, 9:51 AM
The Clash (Mark 2) - SFX 1984
Jo Ely - De Lacey House
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Lissard
Echo & The Bunnymen - Savoy 1983?
Tindersticks - Nancy Spains
Fatima Mansions - De Lacey House
John Cooper Clarke - The Lobby, and later the same night, Cornershop - Nancy Spains.
Jesus & Mary Chain - Connolly Hall
Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros - The last time they played The Olympia
Sisters Of Mercy - Sir Henrys
Super Furry Animals - Savoy
Guided By Voices - The Half Moon

Macy
09/12/2004, 10:07 AM
One that I missed off my list...

The Undertones at the Trinity Ball 01. Just starting to "enjoy" myself ;) during Teenage Kicks.... Sod all people in the tent watching them either, bloody prods :D ....

Dricky
09/12/2004, 10:11 AM
Did they play their jackets?

One of the greatest mysteries of our time, why didn't the musical jacket become popular?

No The were just polo shirts and try as you might you can't hide a keyboard under that to play.

Must say a very good gig in Lux as well was Moby, played a gig in a venue that would hold 500-600 people and he was in fairness quite brilliant and I ain't a fan. It was defo to do with the size and the crowd.

Simple minds in Trier last year was a personal fav as they played for 3 hours. Every thing Boys from Brazil, Chelase girl, Two cities, 30 frames a second, Life in a day, Real to Real and way more.
Class.......

but Rory Gallagher was still the best just to see a master at work. It would be like seeing God working for 6 of 7 days.

noby
09/12/2004, 10:32 AM
Tindersticks - Nancy Spains

Forgot about that one. Saw them again after that in the theatre on McCurtain st., can't think of the name of it.

tiktok
09/12/2004, 10:36 AM
Forgot about that one. Saw them again after that in the theatre on McCurtain st., can't think of the name of it.

The everyman

fosterdollar
09/12/2004, 10:40 AM
I remember seeing Whipping Boy, but didn't know you were the support - but then I wouldn't have known you or other Magoo at that stage :D

I dunno, think you might have been in PV's after it. We managed to slip in ourselves (only 14/15 at the time :eek: :D - but that wasn't unusual for the PV's of old.). I defo remember some of the (Drumlish) lads being in there anyway.

Whipping Boy were pure class as well.

The Stone Roses - Feile 95
To see them back and to hear the baseline of I Wanna be Adored kicking in was amazing

Have a recording of that on cassette from a Fanning Live night on 2FM. Those Steve (?) Ibrahim and Maddix (spelling completely wrong i'd say) were in for Reni and Squire at that time weren't they. Would love to have seen the gig. I rem on tv they had this portaloo that you could go into to make a dick of yourself on camera inside. The Roses fans were fookin hilarious

Anyway - bar magoo's band at the Longford Festival.....

The Festival managed to get some good gigs over the years. The Golden Horde provoked outrage one year with their use of foul language (wish i had some quotes). Vinny managed to the drummers sticks at the end.

The Frames and Whipping Boy were great as said. Horslips played on year as well. I see they have a comeback album out now.

Honourable ...ahem... mentions include Pato "my Seedee collection and Colla TV" Banton, Edwyn Collins, ........... Aslan & Picture House too :rolleyes:

Macy
09/12/2004, 10:57 AM
Have a recording of that on cassette from a Fanning Live night on 2FM. Those Steve (?) Ibrahim and Maddix (spelling completely wrong i'd say) were in for Reni and Squire at that time weren't they. Would love to have seen the gig. I rem on tv they had this portaloo that you could go into to make a dick of yourself on camera inside. The Roses fans were fookin hilarious
Squire was still there, but Reni had left

Honourable ...ahem... mentions include Pato "my Seedee collection and Colla TV" Banton, Edwyn Collins, ........... Aslan & Picture House too :rolleyes:
Remember Doves played it one year - yer one for You're a Star is tiny, but did have massive baps....

Roo69
09/12/2004, 11:05 AM
The Stones in Wembley
U2 in Lansdowne / Slane / Maddison Square Garden
Doves in the Olympia
Supergrass in the Olympia
BB King in the Point
The Charlatans in the Olympia

fosterdollar
09/12/2004, 11:24 AM
Remember Doves played it one year - yer one for You're a Star is tiny, but did have massive baps....

Aha, you threw me there a bit. Doves played Longford!!! :eek:
I assume you're talking about Dove (Dubh). Big difference hehe. Yeah, they played the Beat On The Street didn't they? Savage baps is right. Christ, all the (female) dancers on that rig were some job. All those nights spent swaying drunkenly from side to side trying to catch a glimpse of the plentiful display of flesh up on the scaffolding stage. Good Times

Schumi
09/12/2004, 11:47 AM
2nd would be Damian Rice in UCD. Id never heard his stuff before then but he blew everyone away, he was amazing and stayed behind after for every one who wanted their photo with him.
I missed that one, got talked into going to Bell X1 in the TBMC instead. That was good too though.

yur man
09/12/2004, 12:33 PM
metallica at donington '95

it was a one day festival and had a few other bands that i wasnt bothered in seeing. i went up the front 2 bands before metallica came on to beat the rush. it was a good move

we were like sardines for the first song, but after that it was a headbangers ball

eoinh
09/12/2004, 6:48 PM
Queen at Slane in '85 or '86. Brilliant!

Rovers Fellow!
10/12/2004, 7:43 AM
The Pogues reunion tour at the Point 3 years ago. Was great gig, would have loved to seen them at theyre best in the 80's.

Neish
10/12/2004, 11:41 AM
or Pixies at the Mean Fiddler London 1988.

I heard that was some gig. Seen them in Phoniex park over the summer, I thought it was one of the best gigs ever. Probably cause I only got into The Pixies around 94/95 and thought I never see them live.

Bad thing about That gig was having listen to Chilly Peppers fans go on about how great the RHCP are :rolleyes:

Apart from that I 'd say Witnness 2002 was the best:

Greenday
Prodigy
Foo Fighters(Back when they were decent)
Primal Screem
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Damien Rice
The Frames
Complete Stone Roses

And their just the band I remember

Dublin12
10/12/2004, 11:47 AM
I was at the phoenix park this year too,thought Pixies were great for a bunch of fat ba5tards :p ,not as good though as the early days but still blew the Chili's off the stage,who I thought were crap also it didn't help that the sound was pants.

Pat O' Banton
10/12/2004, 12:08 PM
I was at the phoenix park this year too,thought Pixies were great for a bunch of fat ba5tards :p ,

Ohhhh, you are lucky that I'm not a moderator on here, listen you can insult my family, my football club indeed all that I hold dear but don't refer to Kim Deal as a fat ba5tard :eek: :D

Neish
10/12/2004, 3:47 PM
Ohhhh, you are lucky that I'm not a moderator on here, listen you can insult my family, my football club indeed all that I hold dear but don't refer to Kim Deal as a fat ba5tard :eek: :D

I used to think she was hot, but after countless years of beer and god knows what kinda Drugs she now looks more like Rosanne Barr

James
10/12/2004, 4:03 PM
agree bout poor old kim
she not lookign the best now compared to years past

Another gig i thought of 2 seconds ago
listening to cork band fred.. and remembered a gig they did few months ago at the Hard Working Class Heroes weekend in dublin.. Fred played a great n packed set downstairs in some place in temple bar ..cant remember name now. fantastic band live

fred (http://www.fredtheband.com)

fosterdollar
10/12/2004, 4:20 PM
Orbital...
too late now isn't it?

Aberdonian Stu
11/12/2004, 11:44 AM
[QUOTE=Magoo]We managed to slip in ourselves (only 14/15 at the time :eek: :D - but that wasn't unusual for the PV's of old.). QUOTE]

I know a lad that works there, from what he tells me it isn't unusual for the PVs of today!