PDA

View Full Version : Limerick United (Junior Side)

Johnnie C
29/06/2015, 1:22 AM
How long did Limerick United (junior side) continue on at the Markets Field for and did they make any impact on Limerick Premier Division, Munster Junior Cup etc ? Have a clipping here I found from a friendly game they played v Galway United from The Cork Examiner, sometime in August 1989. Seems they were considering applying for LOI membership around this time. Also a season preview from The Evening Echo, also August 1989, on Limerick City with a mention of Limerick United also. Sorry about poor quality.

gspain01
29/06/2015, 10:43 AM
They certainly applied for membership of the league for a few seasons in the 1980's.

I can't recall them making any impact in local Junior football or even playing in Junior football.

The Graces pulled out of Limerick City FC in 1989. I don't recall Limerick United being around at that time.

Jofspring
11/07/2015, 10:09 AM
They played junior football for a while alright. I remember my father saying he managed teams against them in the 90's so they were definitely around. Pretty sure they never really made any impact in junior football but someone might have more info than me on that. I'll ask the father again and see what he says.