PDA

View Full Version : Philip Greene - RTE radio

SunnySweeney
06/12/2004, 5:01 PM
Hello everyone . have been listening to Ireland's Soccer top 20 audio file web site. If you haven't done so already you should check it out.They profile twenty of Irelands best players from the past. Along with an interview there is also some great nostalgic archived commentary from Ireland matches of yesteryear. Philip Greene was the radio commentator of the day and I always thought he was superb. Does anyone know if he is still around and still with us ? I associate Philip Greene with radio commenatary and Jimmy Magee with tv commentary. Back in the day RTE television only showed highlights at nightime and Philip Greene was the man if you wanted to know how the match was going. I have good memories rushing home from school to listen to the radio commentary on a crackly old transistor radio - Liam Brady's debut against Russia in 1974 etc ...

Donal81
07/12/2004, 12:41 AM
Sorry man, I can't help you, he was completely before my time! I'm a child of the George Hamilton years myself. There's a new DVD out now though, great soccer victories of the tv age or something like that.

tricky_colour
07/12/2004, 1:19 AM
I presume he is still with us I could not find anything to indicate
otherwise, although he is described as a "legend" here.

http://dangerhere.com/issues/issue50-140502/philipgreene.htm

I also found this quote:-

"The embattled Hoops are strapped to the mast as waves and waves of
Spaniards roll over them! "

[Philip Greene (RTE radio commentator) on Shamrock Rovers v Valencia, 1963.]

Also:-

"As regards Belgium Park the Brussels Sprouts reference was made by an RTE Radio commentator when they played Derry at home in an F.A.I. Cup tie there. The commentator( I think it was the veteran Philip Greene) was asked about the name of the venue , he said judging by the state of the pitch it must have been because they used to grow brussels sprouts in it."

It sounds like he was a great commentator to me!

eoinh
07/12/2004, 9:11 AM
He was a great commentator and one who loved the LOI especially Shamrock Rovers. In fact they use to call him Philip Greene and White!

I remember him being devestated when the Kilcoynes sold Milltown.

His enthusiasm for the game was fantastic and he used to have some great one-liners alright. Although their TV service was terrible towards the LOI, RTE Radio was different. Between Philip Greene and Gabriel Egan the LOI has had two of the best commentators they could wish for.

Cowboy
07/12/2004, 9:44 AM
I met Phillip Greene in Budapest many years ago where he was entertaining his many fans with his experiences. Absolute gentleman

My favourite if memory serves is " The referee is looking at his whistle and blown his watch, its all over"

Peadar
07/12/2004, 9:47 AM
Philip Greene was the radio commentator of the day and I always thought he was superb. Does anyone know if he is still around and still with us...

Last I heard he was doing the commentary on the NTL channel where they showed the Bray Wanderers games.
That was a few years ago now before they got relagated.

the 12 th man
07/12/2004, 9:59 AM
must own up to being old enough to remember the man.
dyed in the wool rovers man he was/is and when commentating would find it hard to disguise his emotions :D

NY Hoop
07/12/2004, 10:13 AM
He was a great commentator and one who loved the LOI especially Shamrock Rovers. In fact they use to call him Philip Greene and White!

I remember him being devestated when the Kilcoynes sold Milltown.

His enthusiasm for the game was fantastic and he used to have some great one-liners alright. Although their TV service was terrible towards the LOI, RTE Radio was different. Between Philip Greene and Gabriel Egan the LOI has had two of the best commentators they could wish for.

Great post. He is Rovers through and through although havent seen him in a long while. Guess a piece of us all went when we lost Glenmalure.

One memorable broadcast from Milltown was "Oh f**k bohs have scored"!!

KOH

beautifulrock
07/12/2004, 10:45 AM
Sounds like a great website, does anyone have the link please?

fergalr
07/12/2004, 12:51 PM
Ah the good ole days before RTE started getting rugger buggers to do the match commentries.

My fav Phillip memory was a radio commentary on a Rovers evening game. On a wayward shot he said something like "and the ball flies over the bar, high into the night sky like a comet going backwards".

SunnySweeney
07/12/2004, 3:00 PM
the link to the website is

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/soccertop20/

Metrostars
07/12/2004, 4:01 PM
One memorable broadcast from Milltown was "Oh f**k bohs have scored"!!

KOH

I remember that one from way back. Yeah, he was a true hoopster.

Metrostars
07/12/2004, 4:03 PM
Sorry man, I can't help you, he was completely before my time! I'm a child of the George Hamilton years myself. There's a new DVD out now though, great soccer victories of the tv age or something like that.

Anyone know how I can get hold of this dvd?

Superhoops
07/12/2004, 8:24 PM
Anyone know how I can get hold of this dvd?

The DVD is called 'Great Ireland soccer victories of the television age' .

Try this link http://www.irishmusicmail.com/erol.html#9429x0&&http%3A%252F%252Fwww.google.co.uk%252Fsearch%3Fsou rceid%3Dnavclient%26ie%3DUTF-8%26q%3Dgreat+soccer+victories+of+the+television+a ge

tricky_colour
07/12/2004, 11:36 PM
There is nothiing like a good comentator, you only realise how
good they are when you listen to a bad one!!!

Patrick Dunne
08/12/2004, 12:35 AM
What a great commentator.

Radio coverage of the LOI in the '80s was far better than TV now. You had to imagine the scene in your head. Terryland for me was always a magical, packed venue where Gerry Mullen would beat scores of hapless Dublin defenders before unleashing a 35-yard effort past Jody Byrne.

The truth might have been slightly less dramatic :D

Greene always wore his heart on his sleeve, and was always complientary to country outfits, but not in a condescending, moronic Kinger fashion.The highlight of the winter months was listening to the football. Sports Stadium also always had ten-minute TV snippet around 12.30 on Saturdays.

The target market for televsied El football has to be kids. No ten year old will be allowed to stay up to watch TV3 at 11.25.

Phillip Greene - all time top LOI commentator. Legend.