PDA

View Full Version : The way the FAI thinks and works

nr637
05/06/2015, 8:35 AM
The FAI Chief Executive was also asked this afternoon if he had ever been offered a bribe. Laughing, he said: "No, no, no, no, no, no, no. Not on my salary!"

And we wonder what the FAI really think of the domestic league here?

No real promotion/advertisement of the league, clubs struggling on, Chief Executive earns more than league prize money, no proper TV coverage while everything is geared towards the international team instead.

Straightstory
05/06/2015, 9:33 AM
I agree with this!

Kiki Balboa
05/06/2015, 10:03 AM
The FAI Chief Executive was also asked this afternoon if he had ever been offered a bribe. Laughing, he said: "No, no, no, no, no, no, no. Not on my salary!"

And we wonder what the FAI really think of the domestic league here?

No real promotion/advertisement of the league, clubs struggling on, Chief Executive earns more than league prize money, no proper TV coverage while everything is geared towards the international team instead.

An international team who are behind Northern Ireland in the International rankings and relies heavily on the development of its players from other associations (IFA,SFA and FA)...............

GypsyBlackCat
05/06/2015, 10:44 AM
Imagine this was in England and the FA acted this way? They'd be hound it out. FAI and Delaney only care about the senior national team and the rest of us can go to pot. But they'll win us over with a few pints and a sing song and we'll lap it up.

Mr A
05/06/2015, 10:49 AM
The national team brings in the vast majority of the association's (and therefore Irish football's) income so it's right that they focus on it. But if the senior team was all they cared about why would they bother running so many underage teams for both sexes? I fully agree that the FAI should place more focus on the league and the structure of Irish football in general but sniping at the national team is missing the point.

White Horse
05/06/2015, 11:13 AM
I have no difficulty in Delaney trying get the best possible deal for Irish football.

I do have a problem with him stupidly choosing to put Ireland and the FAI in the middle of a FIFA corruption scandal.

jbyrne
05/06/2015, 11:18 AM
I have no difficulty in Delaney trying get the best possible deal for Irish football.

I do have a problem with him stupidly choosing to put Ireland and the FAI in the middle of a FIFA corruption scandal.

FIFA hand out grants and loans all the time. I fail to see what is corrupt about this incident. Also, wasn't this known at least 12 months ago so why is it only being raised now as a stick to hit the FAI with?

If a more popular head of the FAI was in place it wouldn't be an issue with many fans. There are many people just dying for an excuse to have a pop at the FAI and JD. IMO this isn't one of the more valid reasons by any stretch

Spudulika
05/06/2015, 11:38 AM
I'm watching this unfold and the one thing I ask is:

Who is guilty?

Thierry Henry cheated, his team mates - cheated, the FFA - cheated and showed how they cared little for sport or fair play. UEFA are headed by a corrupt qatari munchkin, FIFA is, like any major global company, riddled with chancers with lots of hangers on earning well.

I have no difficulty in the FAI settling out of court, I have a difficulty with going along with the pack and trying to make more scandal in order to cover up real corruption.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
05/06/2015, 11:56 AM
Was it known 12 months ago? It was only last week that Delaney was saying details of any arrangement with FIFA was confidential.

He just loves the attention too much. Ever since the furore over him singing the song he's barely been seen but obviously saw the Blatter situation as a chance to get his face in the paper and has been piping in at any chance but in typical Delaney fashion he's messed that up as well.

GypsyBlackCat
05/06/2015, 12:34 PM
The national team brings in the vast majority of the association's (and therefore Irish football's) income so it's right that they focus on it. But if the senior team was all they cared about why would they bother running so many underage teams for both sexes? I fully agree that the FAI should place more focus on the league and the structure of Irish football in general but sniping at the national team is missing the point.

But is the money and time being invested in grass roots? No. So basically the FAI is trying to put the roof on the house without putting the foundations down first. No one is having a go at the senior team as we all know the national team is the flag bearer for any FA. But let's no kind ourselves, the senior team is Delaney's vanity project. Delaney is a media wh*re and the senior team keeps him in the spotlight.

Nesta99
05/06/2015, 1:02 PM
Where, how, and when this money featured in FAI finances will tell a lot about this payment. Delaney said in the past that he would consider a move in to national politics - not even a Irish party would take a punt in this liability!

Yossarian
05/06/2015, 1:16 PM
What I find hilarious is people acknowledging that this was an out of court settlement. There was zero chance of this getting near a court. All it was was money to shut Delaney up. And why has Delaney even brought it up?

jbyrne
05/06/2015, 1:25 PM
But is the money and time being invested in grass roots? No. So basically the FAI is trying to put the roof on the house without putting the foundations down first. No one is having a go at the senior team as we all know the national team is the flag bearer for any FA.

without the senior team income there would be no income to invest in anything.
you know its not all bad with the FAI. its just a cliché to suggest they do nothing at grassroots level

Dodge
05/06/2015, 1:30 PM
without the senior team income there would be no income to invest in anything.
you know its not all bad with the FAI. its just a cliché to suggest they do nothing at grassroots level

Grassroot level is what keeps Delaney in the job. Most there very happy with him.

LOI is the problem child, not grass roots.

Macy
05/06/2015, 2:14 PM
Delaney grabbed any media opportunity going last week when the first details of the FBI investigation went public - he was widely quoted/ used as a source in the UK media. He put himself, and the FAI, in the spotlight. We’re now reaping what he sowed.

His focus is totally on small time developments at small clubs, so grassroots that they barely out of seed - that's his power base. And why football in Ireland will never have proper structures put in place for the development of the entire game and ultimately the national team. Yes, money goes to the grassroots, but it isn't focussed, and isn't with any long term plan or goal in place*.

The pitch in my home place that he launched with great fanfare (alongside Trap iirc) looks like it's been commandeered by the GAA anyway - certainly has the posts last time I was down.

*I suppose it brings up the participation numbers, due to the number of five a side pitches available for after work games and leagues

jbyrne
05/06/2015, 2:21 PM
The pitch in my home place that he launched with great fanfare (alongside Trap iirc) looks like it's been commandeered by the GAA anyway - certainly has the posts last time I was down.

the same way the football club I am involved with trains on a rugby pitch largely paid for by the IRFU. we are too small a country to have expensive facilities dedicated purely to one particular sport

Macy
05/06/2015, 2:36 PM
the same way the football club I am involved with trains on a rugby pitch largely paid for by the IRFU. we are too small a country to have expensive facilities dedicated purely to one particular sport
Fine in theory, but if it was FAI grant money alone/ out of the FAI's allocation, it should be exclusive imo. Well certainly not for the GAA, which already has a stadium, club house with gym, 2 pitches and a hard court in the parish which are not available to football. It's just scattergun development, but the residents think Delaney's great for providing it...

Spudulika
06/06/2015, 6:19 AM
I agree with jbyrne that we're too small a country to cater for all sports, but we follow the mother country in everything from financial regulation, legal system to how our civil service operates. And sadly, sports. It's every chancer for themselves and the FAI doesn't have a stranglehold on this. Yet....in Eastern Europe it can be as bad. Where once there were unified sports clubs, the fall of the USSR, Yugoslavia etc has meant that a "strongest will survive" ethos prevails. And it's slowly killing grassroots sports. We at least can be thankful there are facilities open to our kids at all.

A N Mouse
06/06/2015, 6:37 AM
Delaney grabbed any media opportunity going last week when the first details of the FBI investigation went public - he was widely quoted/ used as a source in the UK media. He put himself, and the FAI, in the spotlight. We’re now reaping what he sowed.

His focus is totally on small time developments at small clubs, so grassroots that they barely out of seed - that's his power base. And why football in Ireland will never have proper structures put in place for the development of the entire game and ultimately the national team. Yes, money goes to the grassroots, but it isn't focussed, and isn't with any long term plan or goal in place*.

*I suppose it brings up the participation numbers, due to the number of five a side pitches available for after work games and leagues

So, much the same as Sepp with Africa and Asia?

Hitman
06/06/2015, 10:34 AM
I wish it was the sound of the clock ticking for Delaney.

http://www.the42.ie/fai-transparency-2146119-Jun2015/

wonder88
06/06/2015, 11:06 AM
Caught a fair bit of liveline yesterday. Mostly the usual stuff; one fan called another a culchie and not a real fan because he is also involved in hurling.

However Joe himself made two valid points I think; the europa league final in Dublin hyped by Delaney beforehand turned out to be a "damp squid". Was in Dublin at the time and no big deal and same likely to be true about the 2 euro games.

Vast majority of money for soccer (all sporting facilities) comes out of the public purse. True about racetracks, Croker and Aviva/ FAI headquarters.
Good discussion with Bobby Ballagh about the National Gallery and the Beit Collections as well. Might listen more often in future.

Duffman
06/06/2015, 12:02 PM
This whole kerfuffle makes me thing that we need an Irish tagline for the FAI similar to the Pat's one.
I'm suggesting

F.A.I.
An chreach a shoilg agus an torr a chosc.

Dunny
19/06/2015, 10:14 AM
Here is as good a place if any for this i guess,well worth a read.

"Struggle continues for Irish soccer clubs both on and off the pitch

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/struggle-continues-for-irish-soccer-clubs-both-on-and-off-the-pitch-1.2246118?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fbusiness% 2Fcompanies%2Fstruggle-continues-for-irish-soccer-clubs-both-on-and-off-the-pitch-1.2246118

Sheridan
19/06/2015, 1:30 PM
Caught a fair bit of liveline yesterday. Mostly the usual stuff; one fan called another a culchie and not a real fan because he is also involved in hurling.

However Joe himself made two valid points I think; the europa league final in Dublin hyped by Delaney beforehand turned out to be a "damp squid". Was in Dublin at the time and no big deal and same likely to be true about the 2 euro games.
The pigs had the city in lockdown for the Obama visit at the time, hence the lack of atmosphere.

Vast majority of money for soccer (all sporting facilities) comes out of the public purse. True about racetracks, Croker and Aviva/ FAI headquarters.
Good discussion with Bobby Ballagh about the National Gallery and the Beit Collections as well. Might listen more often in future.
Seriously, don't.

jbyrne
19/06/2015, 2:06 PM

the lack of travelling fans, from Braga in particular, didn't help at all. think Braga brought about 2,000 fans. was a dreadful game also probably due to the fact that the two teams were from the same league.

biggest waste of a free ticket I ever got!

if we qualify for 2020 those two games will involve us and the place will be buzzing no doubt. watch the 15,000 or so true fans of the team getting edged out of the tickets due to UEFA ticket selling methods

Straightstory
19/06/2015, 4:53 PM
Was at the Europa final. Just very bad luck those two ended there. Liverpool v Rangers? That would have been interesting.