PDA

View Full Version : Bishopstown not dead yet !!

A face
02/12/2004, 11:25 PM
Planning permission fell through for the proposed sports campus on the old Bishopstown CCFC ground. The FAI were planning to sell it and it along with the UCC land would have become the site for the new capmus and a new road connecting the link road to CIT.

Just wondering though ... what will become of Bishopstown now ... Will the FAI go ahead with the sale of it ??

The article was in Inside Cork if anyone wants to read it !!

Fair_play_boy
03/12/2004, 8:45 AM
I saw that and wondered, is my mind playing tricks with me as I enter dotage. Was this where CCFC had their disastrous move, or was it where the Greyhound track is now?

Peadar
03/12/2004, 10:39 AM
Was this where CCFC had their disastrous move, or was it where the Greyhound track is now?

They're one and the same place.

thecorner
03/12/2004, 10:40 AM
They're one and the same place.

no they arent...they are next to each other ;)

Fair_play_boy
03/12/2004, 2:04 PM
They're one and the same place.I asked the question badly. What I mean is, where was CCFC for the nightmare time out in Bishopstown; were they where the Greyhound track is now, or were they at the FAI ground pictured with the Inside Cork article?
Still wondering.

A face
03/12/2004, 5:45 PM
I asked the question badly. What I mean is, where was CCFC for the nightmare time out in Bishopstown; were they where the Greyhound track is now, or were they at the FAI ground pictured with the Inside Cork article?
Still wondering.

The pic on Inside Cork is the pic of Citys old ground (dont know the name .. just Bishopstown park i suppose) taken from the greyhound track side.

Storysham
03/12/2004, 6:02 PM
The fai should sell the land at a cheap price to CCFC and let us build our own stadium, put the money for the shed end towards it. sell the X and use that money too.

A face
03/12/2004, 6:09 PM
The fai should sell the land at a cheap price to CCFC and let us build our own stadium, put the money for the shed end towards it. sell the X and use that money too.

That'll be hard to do !! :eek:

Storysham
03/12/2004, 6:12 PM
That'll be hard to do !! :eek:

Pipe dream i know, club needs its own ground to move forward, not waste fai/government or the clubs money doing up a rented ground.

CollegeTillIDie
03/12/2004, 8:10 PM
And so the legacy of Plonk's Elephante Bianco rumbles on :rolleyes:

jimhacker
06/12/2004, 9:02 AM

Back to Bishopstown??????? Oh goodie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peadar
06/12/2004, 9:49 AM

Any money from the sale of TX would surely go to the MFA?

To take something from your point though, the MFA and CCFC could develop a football campus/academy on the site.
It could be used as a base for the National youth sides.
We'd have a centre of excellence.
We could nurture the talent of football in Munster at grass-roots level.
Bishopstown is easy enough to get to for the lads from Kerry, Clare, Limerick, Tipp etc.

patsh
06/12/2004, 9:53 AM
Bishopstown would be great idea now.

Pros:
1. There are roads actually going there now, AND a bus service.
2. There is room there to build a clubhouse, which could include a bar, function room etc., all badly needed sources of income to the club.
(Imagine the revenue Christmas parties could bring into the club, at the very time it is most needed).
3. It would be City's ground, and not subject to the whims of the MFA.
4. Room to expand. (Probably the most important thing)

Cons:
1. Cost of starting virtually from scratch.
2. Bad history associated with the place.
3. Emmm thats it really.....

Fair_play_boy
06/12/2004, 10:11 AM
Was part of the failure the last time that turners cross was still there, and people had one eye on it, grumbling about the trip out to the sticks? Bishopstown seemed so much farther away then.
By the way, if the cross is sold, it would be a travesty. Too much history, tradition, too many memories to let slip under another two acres of concrete.
Imagine the names of the shops or housing estates that would go in there? There could be some appropriate names though:
Fenns Quay (uh, is that name taken already?)
Softic Furnishings (groan :D )
O'Flynn Interiors (where is this post going?)
Can anybody do better than this please?

Peadar
06/12/2004, 10:38 AM
I think a lot of people are too hung up on tradition.
Cork City FC is only 20 years old.
If Arsenal and Liverpool can move grounds to facilitate progress then there's no reason why we can't move.
For many city dwellers I think they felt Bishopstown was in the country and wasn't a natural home for CCFC.
The success of the greyhound track is something we need to look at.
This could work with the right attitude.

pete
06/12/2004, 1:09 PM
Bishopstown was ahead of its time & didn't have the infrastructure or support to maintain & grants from the fai/government are a lot more attainable now.

I think it would be stupid to sell the cross as no use just having sports facilities in the outskirts of town as need them in city suburbs too.

I keep saying it but IMO a complete waste to building single use facilities as sports should be sharing new stadiums (e.g. rugby & football) which also encourages government to give more grants.

Jim Smith
06/12/2004, 3:06 PM
Bishopstown was ahead of its time & didn't have the infrastructure or support to maintain & grants from the fai/government are a lot more attainable now.
The infrastructure is critical. One (of many) good thing about the X is it easy enough to get to from any part of the City. If I had to get two buses and a twenty minute walk to get to a ground I might think twice if it was pouring rain - but then I'm just a sunshine supporter :eek: and I thought summer soccer was a bad idea :o

BeerBaron69
08/12/2004, 10:33 AM
Lads reading all the talk of buying stadiums can I suggest actually trying to buy the Cross.

Let the MFA have Bishopstown and we'll take the Cross

patsh
08/12/2004, 10:55 AM
Lads reading all the talk of buying stadiums can I suggest actually trying to buy the Cross.

Let the MFA have Bishopstown and we'll take the Cross
The main attraction of Bishopstown is that there is room to build facilities like a bar etc. That room doesn't exist at the Cross, plus with so many houses so close to the ground, late night activities would be subject to a lot of objections. If there was any way of raising the money, Bishopstown would be the best stadium in the country, and it could be earn money for City. Bar, Function room, concerts could be held there etc. If the initial capital could be found, it's the future for City.

Peadar
08/12/2004, 11:00 AM
The main attraction of Bishopstown is that there is room to build facilities like a bar etc.

Plus, parking is a nightmare!
The away team bus can't drive right up to the ground as specified in the criteria for the license.
There are a host of other reasons that we could be here for months discussing.

Kingdom
08/12/2004, 11:03 AM
Any money from the sale of TX would surely go to the MFA?

Excuse the ignorance but what is the MFA ? :confused:

Peadar
08/12/2004, 11:11 AM
Excuse the ignorance but what is the MFA ? :confused:

Munster Football Association.
They own Turners Cross.

Kingdom
08/12/2004, 11:22 AM
Jaysus.... and the FAI own Bishopstown too?
Bishopstown is supposed to be alright. A mate of mine was doing a FAS course down there and he said the ladies (nurses) that went to the local (Bishopstown Inn) on a Thurs were superb.

Which would be better the Cross or Bishopstown?

Peadar
08/12/2004, 11:28 AM
Bishopstown is supposed to be alright.

This is out a fair bit from FAS.
Technically it's Curraheen, as far as I know. (Granted, that's still Bishopstown)
It was the middle of nowhere when City first move out there.

Which would be better the Cross or Bishopstown?

Clearly, development is very restricted in TX.
Like I said earlier, there's potential to develop a football centre of excellence out in Bishopstown.

BeerBaron69
08/12/2004, 3:13 PM
If the initial capital could be found, it's the future for City.

I heard that one before!!! :D :D

Bishopstown is a dead duck-I cant imagine anybody going back. Anyway whats the point in a huge stadium? I think 10-11000 seated is about what city need-Theres no point in a huge half empty stadium

patsh
08/12/2004, 3:38 PM
I heard that one before!!! :D :D

Bishopstown is a dead duck-I cant imagine anybody going back. Anyway whats the point in a huge stadium? I think 10-11000 seated is about what city need-Theres no point in a huge half empty stadium Why do you think Bishopstown would be bigger than 10 - 11000?

Peadar
09/12/2004, 8:44 AM
Anyway whats the point in a huge stadium? I think 10-11000 seated is about what city need-Theres no point in a huge half empty stadium

Who said anything about a huge stadium?
What we're talking about is proper facilities for training, fitness, treatment, recovery, hospitality and youth development in one complex.

BeerBaron69
09/12/2004, 10:41 AM
A training facility can be built anywhere and my point about the Stadium is the cross isa the right size for City-we dont want one too big as we'll only sell it out for maybe 2-3 big games.

I think with the land out in Bishopstown a 10k/11k seater is possible

daveh
09/12/2004, 11:16 AM
When the cross is all roofed id say it will actually look like a big enough ground
cos it'll be more enclosed.I thought nijmegans ground was class,and it only holds something like 15,000.

patsh
09/12/2004, 11:57 AM
I thought nijmegans ground was class,and it only holds something like 15,000.Great stadium all right, capacity is 12,500 I think.
'Twould be perfect for Bishopstown, then build a big bar and function room to get the money off the punters.....

liamon
09/12/2004, 12:02 PM
Great stadium all right, capacity is 12,500 I think.
'Twould be perfect for Bishopstown, then build a big bar and function room to get the money off the punters.....
I'm not sure how viable a bar would be, if you only fill it for one night every fortnight.

Peadar
09/12/2004, 12:07 PM
the cross isa the right size for City-we dont want one too big as we'll only sell it out for maybe 2-3 big games.

TX is a nightmare because it's surrounded by houses.
The folks at the Horseshoe own the area around the big gate where the chipper used to park near the Donie Ford.
Parking is a nightmare.
We can't properly cater for visiting clubs and officials.
The Shed is a waste of space and looks stupid.
We don't have a proper segregated section for away supporters.
TV camera positions are limited and mostly temporary.
TX belongs to the MFA.

I'm not sure how viable a bar would be, if you only fill it for one night every fortnight.

The key is to think beyond football.
Make the facility available for meetings, conferences, functions etc.
Like they do in Croke Park.
If you restrict yourself to football you may as well give up.

Gary
09/12/2004, 12:08 PM
^^^

Yes, but look at all the money that goes into the Hshoe, the TCT etc every second friday. If City had their own bar, all that money would be theirs. Also, they would probably do what Shels/Bohs etc do, and open for CL/Celtic/Premiership games.

It would be a great earner.

liamon
09/12/2004, 12:11 PM
You can't run a bar on the basis that you'll have a crowd for 2 hours, around 20 times a year. That's not going to work.
As for opening for CL/Celtic/etc games, doesn't every pub in Ireland do that? Why would peole go all the way to Curraheen to sit in a pub?
It won't make enough money.

Gary
09/12/2004, 12:23 PM
It wouldnt have full time staff a lá Bohs and Shels.

Many would go there because they know that by going there, they are supporting the club.

BeerBaron69
10/12/2004, 10:13 AM
TX is a nightmare because it's surrounded by houses.
The folks at the Horseshoe own the area around the big gate where the chipper used to park near the Donie Ford.
Parking is a nightmare.
We can't properly cater for visiting clubs and officials.
The Shed is a waste of space and looks stupid.
We don't have a proper segregated section for away supporters.
TV camera positions are limited and mostly temporary.
TX belongs to the MFA.

Good arguments. However Id prefer to see the team at the cross. Ive memories of City at Bishopstown that make me shudder when I think of them

BeerBaron69
10/12/2004, 10:14 AM
And yes I am aware that I messed up the quote :D :D

patsh
10/12/2004, 10:32 AM
You can't run a bar on the basis that you'll have a crowd for 2 hours, around 20 times a year. That's not going to work.
As for opening for CL/Celtic/etc games, doesn't every pub in Ireland do that? Why would peole go all the way to Curraheen to sit in a pub?
It won't make enough money.Function rooms by night.
Meeting rooms by day.
Concerts/discos for the Youth of Bishopstown/Curraheen
How many dinner dances go on around this City EVERY week?
All the junior soccer clubs: give them the room for nothing, take the profit from the bar.
A bar and function room area is an asset. It can be "sweated" and made to earn money for you. City have no asset in Turner's Cross, just a drain on finances.
You seem to have the idea of a bar that only opens for City games. Thats not what woud happen, City have people who would think a little more ambitiously than that.

Kingdom
10/12/2004, 11:15 AM
Don't be worried I don't mean in the way Shels do it week in week out.....

We play in Dalymount once a year in the Revenue Taxes Cup and the place is jammers all the time. And because the stnadard is usually decent and tbf it is played during the summer the pitch never gets damaged.
After the comp everyone swells into the bar and that lasts usually from fivish till closing,