PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Carragher & Paul Ince choose their all time Ireland XI's

TheOneWhoKnocks
02/06/2015, 9:06 PM
I didn't have a clue where to put this so I thought I would create a throwaway thread for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?t=292&v=O-WeBgPn7SU

One glaring omission.

Charlie Darwin
02/06/2015, 9:23 PM
Ince showing the authority that made him such as a success as a manager, winning a whole one of the selection battles.

tricky_colour
03/06/2015, 1:18 AM
Nice video thanks for posting I probably go along with most of the selection.

Perhaps telling only one player form the current era?

Fixer82
03/06/2015, 7:05 AM
No sign of Giles or Bernie Slaven

DeLorean
03/06/2015, 10:54 AM
I wouldn't call McGrath a "bruiser"!! Definitely doing his ball playing talents a disservice there. I think I'd have to have Dunne and Duff in my selection. Lawrenson's decision to become a pundit is enough for me to leave him out anyway :p

nigel-harps1954
03/06/2015, 1:31 PM
Missing a heap of names that may have been in with a shout there. John O'Shea, Niall Quinn, Kevin Moran, Andy Townsend, Ray Houghton, Mick McCarthy, Frank Stapleton, Steve Finnan.

..of course, David Connolly too.

Charlie Darwin
03/06/2015, 1:33 PM
Jamie Carragher's all-time Merseyside Ireland XI

geysir
03/06/2015, 3:34 PM
Carragher has a left right confusion, Steve Heighway played only on the left side.
Ince is just confused, couldn't even think of a reason to chose Given over Bonner. Maybe he never heard of Bonner and decided that it was best to say nothing, just pick a spot on the white board.

DannyInvincible
03/06/2015, 3:37 PM
According to Carragher, Packie's selling point was that he'd played World Cup football. Were neither aware that Shay also played in a World Cup?

DeLorean
03/06/2015, 4:01 PM
Doubt they gave it that much thought. To be fair, if you've been looking in casually from the outside, you think Bonner and you think golden era under Charlton, Italia 90, Romania penalty save, winning the one on one battle with Lineker in Euro 88. You probably have to be Irish to really appreciate Given, would either of them even remember the save from Zidane's free kick, for example, or did they even see it in the first place?

Bungle
03/06/2015, 5:46 PM
No mention of Ronnie whelan,although I did see his name on both of their lists. I suppose any two from four of Brady, Whelan, Keane and Giles is outstanding. Townsend would be my 5th choice but what a player he was��

Lawrenson and McGrath is about as close to perfection as you could get. Irwin top class as well and Stan very good. sheedy and duff top class and there's goals in Aldo and Robbie. Can we put them out against Scotland?!

I woould go with Shay over Packie.

Bungle
03/06/2015, 5:52 PM
Stapleton and beglin should be in the mix too.

tricky_colour
04/06/2015, 4:25 AM
According to Carragher, Packie's selling point was that he'd played World Cup football. Were neither aware that Shay also played in a World Cup?

Most of us have put that to the back of our minds by now, no need to drag those memories back up :p

OwlsFan
04/06/2015, 9:57 AM
Missing a heap of names that may have been in with a shout there. John O'Shea, Niall Quinn, Kevin Moran, Andy Townsend, Ray Houghton, Mick McCarthy, Frank Stapleton, Steve Finnan.

..of course, David Connolly too.

Well if Houghton is not there, then no way is it the best Irish XI. That guy was class during the Charlton era.

geysir
04/06/2015, 12:50 PM
They were just picking their best 11 not the best 11.
Probably you would shoot Heighway to get Ray on the team :)