PDA

View Full Version : Setanta Cup draw 12th December

Pages : [1] 2

paudie
02/12/2004, 4:15 PM
Apparently its on the Portadown forum that the draw will be made on 12th December.

seagulls nest
02/12/2004, 4:22 PM
whats the santana cup?

thejollyrodger
02/12/2004, 4:23 PM
hopefully it is.
Im looking forward to the Sentanta Cup, I hope its all southern clubs vs northern clubs for the first matches and then take it from there. Personally I dont think any of the northern clubs will make the final and Shels should go on to win it with a shockling big goal difference :D :D

sonofstan
02/12/2004, 4:39 PM
Unitil now i'd never imagined a scenario in which i would become a temporary linfield fan ...

GalwayFrancis
02/12/2004, 4:42 PM
so the teams will be :
eL : Shels, Cork, Longford
IL : Linfield, Who & Who?

kevincronin2000
02/12/2004, 5:07 PM
so the teams will be :
eL : Shels, Cork, Longford
IL : Linfield, Who & Who?

Glentoran and portadown

Dillo
02/12/2004, 5:34 PM
hopefully it is.
Im looking forward to the Sentanta Cup, I hope its all southern clubs vs northern clubs for the first matches and then take it from there. Personally I dont think any of the northern clubs will make the final and Shels should go on to win it with a shockling big goal difference :D :D

I think differently! :)

Will each team play each other once at home and away or what's the story?
Looking forward to travelling North. Should be sport!

Slash/ED
02/12/2004, 5:36 PM
I think differently! :)

Will each team play each other once at home and away or what's the story?
Looking forward to travelling North. Should be sport!

I think so yeah, you play four group games, two home and two away against the two opponents in your group then the winners play each other. Not sure if they runners up play each other in some kind of third/fourth play off though, and is the final one leg or two? I hate two legged finals, I really really hope it's just one, there's no sense of occasion with two legged finals.

Dillo
02/12/2004, 5:41 PM
All 6 teams are in the same country. ;)

It'll mean a trip back up north for big Deano! :D

Longfordian
02/12/2004, 5:44 PM
Yeah we'll say football jurisdiction so..Portadown have great time for Deano, apparently when Town were up for a pre-season they were treated very well

GalwayFrancis
02/12/2004, 6:13 PM
Glentoran and portadown

out of these three teams, which are protestantly/unionist biased? or are they all?

dancinpants
02/12/2004, 6:19 PM
Assuming you're talking about supporters - all of them. So whats the set-up for the comp? Two groups of 3? Which, if thats the case, is ****e!!. It would be good if all 3 EL teams got a go at all 3 IL teams.

Pablo
02/12/2004, 6:28 PM
Assuming you're talking about supporters - all of them. So whats the set-up for the comp? Two groups of 3? Which, if thats the case, is ****e!!. It would be good if all 3 EL teams got a go at all 3 IL teams.

you nly play one game againsts each team i think? 1 home and one away and then a semi and a final

Longfordian
02/12/2004, 6:30 PM
I heard it was home and away against both teams too, no semi finals, just a final between the two winners of the groups..that's how it goes in Football Manager '05 anyway..and they'd know!.. :)

Pablo
02/12/2004, 6:50 PM
I heard it was home and away against both teams too, no semi finals, just a final between the two winners of the groups..that's how it goes in Football Manager '05 anyway..and they'd know!.. :)

you'd think they'd have a format laid out somewhere

crc
02/12/2004, 8:37 PM
The format is laid out.

3 teams from south: Cork City, Longford Town, Shelbourne.
3 teams from north: Glentoran, Linfield, Portadown

One group will have two southern teams and one northern one.
The other group will have one southern team and two northern ones.

Each team plays the other two teams in its group twice each (home and away). Only the winners of each group advance; to a single game final, at a venue yet to be determined.

====

Personally I think they should have balanced the groups at four teams each. Maybe next year...

GalwayFrancis
02/12/2004, 11:15 PM
Only the winners of each group advance; to a single game final, at a venue yet to be determined.

anyone have any clues or ideas on where they would like it to be?

patsh
03/12/2004, 7:48 AM
anyone have any clues or ideas on where they would like it to be?I reckon it will be in Turner's Cross, where City will beat Linfield 3 - 1 in front of a 8,000 strong crowd.......:p

paudie
03/12/2004, 8:35 AM
out of these three teams, which are protestantly/unionist biased? or are they all?

I think all three teams supporters would be mostly protestant.

Not that it matters of course in the post ceasefire all inclusive new ireland :D

paudie
03/12/2004, 8:38 AM
anyone have any clues or ideas on where they would like it to be?

it could be an all Irish league or all eircom league final so they can't decide on the venue until they know the finalists.

I suppose Windsor Park or Lansdowne Road. Would they be too big?

paudie
03/12/2004, 8:53 AM
Now on irishleagueforums they're saying the draw may be postponed till January :rolleyes:

Obviously the FAI are finding it difficult to organise putting 6 pieces of paper in a bag and getting someone to pick them out.

I think the qualified clubs should take the lead and put pressure on the FAI,IFA, Setanta to get this up and running.

There's huge interest in it and it could a big moneyspinner for the clubs.

pete
03/12/2004, 12:59 PM
Surprised there can be a draw when the FAI/eL don't even have next seasons fixtures done yet let alone how many rounds of fixtures there will be. :rolleyes:

I think Setanta said they'd be showing 10 games live so i'm not sure if be games on tuesdays & wednesdays?

:confused:

crc
03/12/2004, 2:22 PM
I suppose Windsor Park or Lansdowne Road. Would they be too big?

Lansdowne would be too big, and I'm not sure about the security situation at Windsor (of course Linfield will have played at least one eL team there by the time of the final).

Hopefully it will be a suitably high quality ground that is neither of the finalists home ground. Mourneview in Lurgan is a good option. Tolka or Flancare PK could also be used (assuming neither Shels nor Longford get to the final). Turner's X could probably only be used if the final was between Shels and Longford, and even then its a little far south.

Slash/ED
03/12/2004, 2:25 PM
Lansdowne would be too big

Why? If it's suitable for the FAI cup final and surley we're hopeing this attracts a bigger crowd, isn't the hopeful increase in crowds for these games one of the reasons we organised this competition?

crc
03/12/2004, 2:31 PM
I think the atmosphere would be better in a packed club ground that a half empty Lansdowne Rd. It would also be a better spectacle. I doubt we'd get even 15-20,000 for the Setanta Cup final. I suppose we'll get a better idea of the crowds when we start playing the matches.

Slash/ED
03/12/2004, 2:32 PM
I think if we can get crowds bigger than the FAI cup final, then Lansedown road with the top tiers shut would be fine.

Dillo
03/12/2004, 2:38 PM
Another day out in Flansdowne would be nice alright but I'd love to see a packed Flansiro for the final! :cool:

Passive
03/12/2004, 2:57 PM
If any attempt was made to market the game they'd be able to get 15-20,000 at Lansdowne. It's the first north-south competition in over 30 years, the novelty factor alone should bring people out to it.
The Setanta Cup is a fantastic idea, I just hope to god we manage to make it into it sometime soon! Rovers v Linfield - I like the sound of that ;)

holidaysong
03/12/2004, 2:59 PM
If it is an eL club vs. a IL club in the final then they should have it in Oriel Park - a nice non hostile ground close to the border :)

Pablo
03/12/2004, 4:41 PM
If it is an eL club vs. a IL club in the final then they should have it in Oriel Park - a nice non hostile ground close to the border :)

but its a tip so no........

monutdfc
03/12/2004, 4:50 PM
Oriel Park - a nice non hostile ground close to the border :)

Well it is close to the border, I'll give you that.... :rolleyes:

crc
03/12/2004, 8:04 PM
...maybe they could play the first half in Oriel Park and the second half in the Newry Showgrounds!!! :D

holidaysong
04/12/2004, 11:11 AM
...maybe they could play the first half in Oriel Park and the second half in the Newry Showgrounds!!! :D

hehe i like it :D

GavinZac
04/12/2004, 12:25 PM
. Would they be too big?

depends on the media. they need to play this up as the 'Champions of ireland' title.

Troy.McClure
06/12/2004, 4:45 PM
UEFA.com (http://www.uefa.com/uefa/news/Kind=128/newsId=213830.html) sorts things out for us.

Football crosses Irish border
Monday, 9 August 2004
A cross-border competition in Ireland will be introduced after a 25-year absence after the Republic's Football Association of Ireland (FAI) and Irish Football Association in Northern Ireland (IFA) agreed to come together for a new competition.

Six-team competition
Called the Setanta Cup after sponsorship from a broadcaster, the top six teams in Ireland, three from each side of the border, will enter and contest a trophy with a prize fund of €1.3m over four years. The top two teams in each league and the two domestic cup winners will compete in a move which has been welcomed across Ireland.

Prevoius tournament
There was an all-Ireland competition, the Blaxnit Cup, held in the 1960s and 1970s but violence because of the political situation in Ireland saw it abandoned in 1979. The new tournament will be made up of two groups of three teams - including at least one from both associations - playing their pool rivals home and away. Each group winner will then qualify for the final.

Cross-border talks
FAI chief executive Fran Rooney said: "Over the years, I was very much a fan of the Blaxnit Cup and thought it would great if we could bring something like it back. I set it as an objective as soon as I came into the association as chief executive. In December, I spoke to Jim Boyce, the president of the Irish Football Association and he was interested and since then myself, Jim and Milo [Corcoran, FAI president] have regularly spoken about it.

Positive reaction
He added: "We then needed to attract a sponsor and needed television. We felt that Setanta were the obvious first port of call and they were very interested from the start and we concluded a deal. We probably had everything in place three months ago and just needed to put the finishing touches to it. I revealed we were doing it at the AGM and spoke to all 22 clubs about it who were very positive."

Fixture review
To ease worries about fixture congestion, Rooney revealed: "There will be more games for the top clubs but I have already set up a review group to examine how we can plan out the fixture list to accommodate teams involved in Europe, the domestic league and cup and now the Setanta Cup. I do not see it as a problem. I think TV coverage is vital if we are to promote the game. The standard in the domestic league is very high and by getting it on television, it will reach a far greater audience."

I am confident that huge crowds will flock to see these games

IFA president Jim Boyce

'Huge crowds'
Boyce added: "This certainly is the biggest ever tournament - north or south - it has attracted great sponsorship and I am confident that huge crowds will flock to see these games."

Slash/ED
06/12/2004, 5:10 PM
UEFA.com also confirms what we already knew, that Jason Byrne is Europes ninth best striker.

http://www.uefa.com/footballcentral/news/Kind=2/newsId=264932.html

GavinZac
07/12/2004, 12:20 PM
UEFA.com also confirms what we already knew, that Jason Byrne is Europes ninth best striker.

http://www.uefa.com/footballcentral/news/Kind=2/newsId=264932.html

well then sell him and your club wont go bust next october

OneRedArmy
07/12/2004, 12:45 PM
Will City fans travel to these games, its very dangerous id say but then again we've got to support our team. will Ian do a few buses?

Define very dangerous?! less dangerous than attending recent Bohs v Rovers games, based on the fact there's been no trouble at the friendlies that take place every year between EL and IL teams.

Get out more.

BohDiddley
07/12/2004, 1:04 PM
If any attempt was made to market the game they'd be able to get 15-20,000 at Lansdowne. It's the first north-south competition in over 30 years, the novelty factor alone should bring people out to it.
The Setanta Cup is a fantastic idea, I just hope to god we manage to make it into it sometime soon! Rovers v Linfield - I like the sound of that ;)
In your dreams Passive. We might have missed out this year, but you've a bit to travel for that to happen! :D

Troy.McClure
07/12/2004, 1:06 PM
I cant wait, Id love to see City play in Windsor. :ball:

Colm
07/12/2004, 1:08 PM
Will City fans travel to these games, its very dangerous id say but then again we've got to support our team. will Ian do a few buses?

I'm definately going to travel anyway as are most people I've spoken about it to.
I doubt any bus companys would risk taking a bunch of rowdy Cork City fans into the heart of loyalist Belfast though so I doubt there'll be buses going, you'd never know though, that will all be sorted closer to the time I'd say.
I reckon flying is the best option and maybe stay overnight.

Troy.McClure
07/12/2004, 1:13 PM
Ya, fly direct from Cork I recon and make an overnight trip out of it.

Fair_play_boy
07/12/2004, 1:14 PM
Will City fans travel to these games, its very dangerous id say but then again we've got to support our team. will Ian do a few buses?Please tell me this is a wind up! Anybody who is able to survive 90 minutes in the shed should find a trip to Belfast a picnic. :D

Slash/ED
07/12/2004, 5:53 PM
well then sell him and your club wont go bust next october

Keep dreaming :)

EireBadBoy
08/12/2004, 3:45 AM
Fancy a Cork v Glens final.

Reckon the physical game will get Shels, they like it sexy (?) :eek:

Where ever it is, who ever it is, just hope we have a Tournament the Country will sit up and pay attention to. The media will no doubt adopt the 70's view of hagard old politicos trying to air their cause through sport - I'd dare say it now but the Clubs involved, wish one was Derry, will show that Football on this Isle has been that long ignored that TRUE Football fans will grace the event! much the same way the F.A.I has approached REAL Footie fans to sort out Landsdowne Rd!

The Derry v Glentoran match, whilst covered by the media let them down - shame! :p They only witnessed Football and Fans from a wide divide getting on. The Setanta Cup could be the very brew the F.A.I and I.F.A do not wish to sup from!

A face
08/12/2004, 11:59 AM

What are you on about like ?? :eek:

Of course City fans will travel to it .... flying will be the way to go i'd say !!

TonyD
09/12/2004, 8:29 PM
Em, is it just me, or will anyone else out there be less than gobsmacked if the Setanta Cup turns out to be a mirage ? Lets face it, the signs are not good. I wouldn't put much money on it taking place. (Forgive me if that sounds overly cynical - but look at who we're dealing with here)

A face
09/12/2004, 10:56 PM
Lets face it, the signs are not good.

Em, is it just me, or will anyone else out there be able ot point out these signs ?!!?!?! :eek:

Where are you looking for these signs .... is there something that you know and you are not telling us. There has been very little published/released from either side BUT everything that was, was IMO fairly positive and there was not denying from anyone involved that there were many positives.

C'mere Tony, you're going to have to tell us fella ..... what are the signs you are seeing ?? .... come on ... spill the beans !! You are holding back on us there lad.

(Forgive me if that sounds overly cynical - but look at who we're dealing with here)

We wont forgive you and it does sound overly cynical !!

Look at who we are dealing with ..... Is that the FAI of the IFA ..... and again ...... is there something you are not telling us !!

Come on Tony ... you are our pipeline to knowledge !! :rolleyes:

dcfcsteve
09/12/2004, 11:45 PM
I don't think you need to be Russel Grant or Nostrodamus to acknowledge that events seem to be slowly lining-up against the Setanta Cup.

Rooney's gone, and he seems to have played a key part in getting the proposal off the ground. The FAI is going to be consumed with the appointment of new staff and sucking up to Fianna Fail for the next 6mths, so I can see Setanta getting neglected until it's too late.

Key in all of this for me is Setanta themselves. If they push it along then I can see it happening, but I think both Asociations will need that outside pressure for it to become a reality given the FAI's preoccupation with more fundamental issues. Someone mentioned on here a week or two ago that, when questioned, Setanta's Marketing staff didn't seem to know anything about the competition. Not a great sign....

I do hope it happens, but nothing would surprise me in next year's episodes of The Muppets of Merrion Square....

Longfordian
10/12/2004, 12:05 AM
It was announced tonight at the EL meeting that the draw is on in the third week in January, details of prize money were also announced, each team guaranteed €30,000, €80,000 if you reach the final and €120,000 if you win, that's including the basic 30k obviously..then there's gate monies too. Milo Corcoran was one of those pushing it most strongly so Rooney leaving would't have affected things too much. It's definitely going ahead