PDA

View Full Version : The cup is back

Pages : [1] 2

outspoken
28/05/2015, 1:27 PM
Our love affair with the FAI continues as we take on Finn harps at CCS tomorrow night (8pm) and the one thing I'd like to see more than anything (bar a win of course) is a big crowd. I've been so disappointed with the lack of buzz and PR upon our return to the top flight and our attendances have been greatly masked by the large away followings we've seen this season. Given our history with the FAI cup there's no reason if marketed correctly we couldn't get 1000 people out for this match but the likely hood is once again the same couple hundred will turn out and that needs to change.

As for the game itself I'd rest some of our more senior players as the likes of Kev O'Connor and shaw have played almost every game this season.

My line up would be
Hunt
Mulhall Pat Sull Tyrell Powell
Shannon Rhys Salmo Aymen
Sully Kaleem

Darklordsbane
28/05/2015, 5:30 PM
I hope your right about Gorman in the midfield and not in the back four we will need his quality passing to break down the Harps defence

nigel-harps1954
28/05/2015, 8:45 PM
We're missing four players tomorrow night, Donelon and Keating through the loan-deal, McGroary through injury and Tagbo who's ill.

We're probably playing an experimental team too with Cowan, Mailey and Coll returning from injury and needing to get back to match fitness. Couple of others needing game time and a chance to impress before summer transfer window will probably get a run too.

Focus on the league for us, so don't expect a whole lot from the game other than to come through it without injuries and suspension.

outspoken
28/05/2015, 9:16 PM
We're missing four players tomorrow night, Donelon and Keating through the loan-deal, McGroary through injury and Tagbo who's ill.

We're probably playing an experimental team too with Cowan, Mailey and Coll returning from injury and needing to get back to match fitness. Couple of others needing game time and a chance to impress before summer transfer window will probably get a run too.

Focus on the league for us, so don't expect a whole lot from the game other than to come through it without injuries and suspension.

Jaysus I'm releaved to hear that, boost to the confidence knowing the likes of Keating are out. We should win this so.

nigel-harps1954
28/05/2015, 9:26 PM
Jaysus I'm releaved to hear that, boost to the confidence knowing the likes of Keating are out. We should win this so.

Keating hasn't been overly impressive despite being our top scorer. Tagbo is the biggest miss for us really. Longford should probably win, but it'll be a low scoring game. Maybe a scrappy 1-0.

outspoken
28/05/2015, 9:48 PM
Keating hasn't been overly impressive despite being our top scorer. Tagbo is the biggest miss for us really. Longford should probably win, but it'll be a low scoring game. Maybe a scrappy 1-0.

Wouldn't expect anything less

Town Legend
29/05/2015, 7:29 AM
I'd go with that team Outspoken. Shaw needs a break and resting KOC would be a good idea. I'd like to see Conor Dunne get a run out, see what he's made of. Has Daryl Carrigy gone AWOL again?

outspoken
29/05/2015, 9:52 AM
I'd go with that team Outspoken. Shaw needs a break and resting KOC would be a good idea. I'd like to see Conor Dunne get a run out, see what he's made of. Has Daryl Carrigy gone AWOL again?

Carrigy does shift work in a factory so he's unable to train with the first team.

hollocaine
29/05/2015, 9:59 PM
Other than the clear hand ball, there's no point complaining about match officials. The only clowns on the pitch tonight were those wearing red'n'black (Ben Mohammed being the exception). The lack of composure and quality on the ball in the final third by the rest of them was just embarrassing. You would see better in the CCFL.

Shaw has an incredible knack of not getting on the end of any crosses/general build up play. That's 2 months now without a goal. Simon's miss in the first half was the stuff of comedy. When we did score, it was Ragball Rovers stuff.

The set pieces, as usual, were wasted. Taking short corners, to try and drag opposition players out of a crowded box, must be an alien concept to our team.

Fair play to Harps. Down to 10 men. They did what had to be done.

Our players got what they deserved... a bank holiday Monday mainly spent travelling to/from Ballybofey. Not many, I'd say, will be joining them.

outspoken
29/05/2015, 11:34 PM
We couldn't finish our dinners right now. Wel lose Monday no doubt. Probably pick up a few injuries too. Shaw is too soft needs to harden up and stop getting bullied by centre halfs.

Town Legend
30/05/2015, 6:51 AM
Kaleem Simon is a very lucky boy that he's not got his leg in plaster this morning, a leg breaking challenge if ever I seen one. It looked like we thought all we had to do was turn up to win the match. Surprised one or two more didn't see red. Simons miss was bad but Salmons was worse! A tap in in, but he somehow managed to roll it up the back of his leg instead of rolling it in. We were on top 11 v 11. I think we'll win the replay but it'll be another tight one.

outspoken
30/05/2015, 6:57 AM
Kaleem Simon is a very lucky boy that he's not got his leg in plaster this morning, a leg breaking challenge if ever I seen one. It looked like we thought all we had to do was turn up to win the match. Surprised one or two more didn't see red. Simons miss was bad but Salmons was worse! A tap in in, but he somehow managed to roll it up the back of his leg instead of rolling it in. We were on top 11 v 11. I think we'll win the replay but it'll be another tight one.

Yet harps fans will tell you we had 12 men, that was a disgusting challenge.

Darklordsbane
30/05/2015, 8:24 AM
there's a horse called OUTSPOKEN running in the last race in Navan today is it your's or just named after you

Darklordsbane
30/05/2015, 10:56 AM
Do suspensions count from cup games
what I mean is Rice now has at least 3 yellow cards in the Premiership and another 1 last night plus I think another one in a different cup do these count as the totting up,
also Kevin O Connor is catching up with him, that could mean a major shake up in the midfield might be no harm

nigel-harps1954
30/05/2015, 11:53 AM
Like it or not, McNulty won the ball. The red card was because the studs were showing of which personally I'm on the fence with, but not too annoyed that it was red as you just don't get away with those challenges anymore. Too call it a leg breaker is just ridiculous though. There was an identical challenge in the middle of the field by a Longford player a few minutes earlier that went without a red card. Time after time Stephen Rice got away with kicking, elbowing, shoving and pushing all around him and laughing away the whole way through it. He's a f**king disgrace.

poster
30/05/2015, 1:57 PM
Harps are the dirtiest team I've seen in the league in a long time.

Martinho II
30/05/2015, 2:11 PM
Harps are the dirtiest team I've seen in the league in a long time.

and their manager is a psychopath!! if he cant control himself how can he control his team?

joey B
30/05/2015, 3:54 PM
and their manager is a psychopath!! if he cant control himself how can he control his team?

We're top of the league ,6 points clear he's controlling them not to badly:cool:!

nigel-harps1954
30/05/2015, 4:00 PM
We're top of the league ,6 points clear he's controlling them not to badly:cool:!

Seven point clear Joey.

outspoken
30/05/2015, 8:46 PM
Can we just have Tony and Ollie scrap in the the shed on Monday since both are banned from the sideline and decide it that way, be more entertaining than the game

Town Legend
31/05/2015, 6:50 AM
That 'tackle' happened right in front of me. The Harps player went through Simon to try and get the ball. Shocking challenge. He had no intention to win the ball, only to do damage. The way the Harps players swarmed the ref after KOC challenge was a disgrace. Harps were always a tough side but that team Friday night were the dirtiest I've ever seen us play. As for the manager....

outspoken
31/05/2015, 9:59 AM
That 'tackle' happened right in front of me. The Harps player went through Simon to try and get the ball. Shocking challenge. He had no intention to win the ball, only to do damage. The way the Harps players swarmed the ref after KOC challenge was a disgrace. Harps were always a tough side but that team Friday night were the dirtiest I've ever seen us play. As for the manager....

Spot on they swarmed the referee like a pack of rats and that set the tempo for what was a vicious game of football.

nigel-harps1954
31/05/2015, 10:12 AM
How can you possibly say he had no intention to win the ball? Of course he intended to win the ball...which he done.

outspoken
31/05/2015, 10:15 AM
How can you possibly say he had no intention to win the ball? Of course he intended to win the ball...which he done.

Mother of Christ

Town Legend
31/05/2015, 10:55 AM
He went in to do damage plain and simple. Simon had the ball and had his back to the Harps player who went through him to get the ball. Coming from behind, two footed taking the player out of it to 'win the ball' is a straight red the world over. It was a dirty tackle of the highest order and as soon as it happened the ref was reaching for his back pocket. Harps came down to kick and hack down the Town players and they surely did that. As one elderly Town fan was leaving the ground he shouted in that they were a disgrace to football. I couldn't of agreed more.

nigel-harps1954
31/05/2015, 4:49 PM
You're some craic you lot. I miss the older generation of Longford fans who used to have a bit of sense.

Town Legend
31/05/2015, 5:31 PM
Come back to us and try and defend him when you see the video of the so called 'clean tackle'!

Darklordsbane
31/05/2015, 6:38 PM
jesus lads will you calm down
yes there were lots of hard tackles but it's a contact sport I thought Harps deserved a draw over the 90 minutes, I don't think anyone set out to break up anybody, but in a 50/50 chance I don't blame anyone getting stuck into the opposition, in fact I wish longford would show a bit more aggression.
all games in my opinion have a sway from one team to the other and when the balance shifts to the opposition you need guys to be hard to get control of the game again,
I'm not saying plough into every challange and break people up but you need to let them know your there and it won't be easy for them, obviously mistakes will be made but that's football
I thought the Harps number 7 standing on Skinner was far more deserving of a red card, that to my eyes was far more cynical than a guy commiting to a full on tackle, even if it was a tad late but he did win the ball which is what he I'm sure intended in the first place

nigel-harps1954
31/05/2015, 11:06 PM
http://i.imgur.com/BCpM98S.png

Town Legend
01/06/2015, 8:19 AM
Town website check out picture 18. Anyway I'm sure the disciplinary panel will decide whether it was reckless or not if he gets suspended. The good point about the replay is Cousins gets to sit out his suspension tonight and will be back on the line for the more important league game in Bray on Friday. Horgan might not have to serve his suspension until the weekend will he? Cousins got sent off against Rovers but it was the second league game before he sat it out.

Come on Nigel, I'm only winding you up. To me he didn't win the ball cleanly, it looked to me he took Simon first then the ball. To you, he won it clearly. We'll agree to disagree and move on to tonight.

Reslistically I can see quite a few changes tonight for us with maybe Willie, Jamie, Lorcan, Conor P and Davy getting starts for us. Tonight might be too soon for Don. Hopefully we'll nick a win but I'm more concerned about getting 3 points from what will be a tricky trip to Bray.

Acornvilla
01/06/2015, 9:16 AM
http://i.imgur.com/BCpM98S.png

http://ltfc.ie/wp-content/grand-media/image/IMG_2883_2_.jpg

We've the makings of a good caption competition here.

Darklordsbane
01/06/2015, 9:54 AM

You promised to vote yes

nigel-harps1954
01/06/2015, 10:34 AM

"We love you Ollie...we do"

Our photographer is better than yours.

Town Legend
01/06/2015, 10:34 AM
Picture 18 is the one where Simon was hacked down! But that's a good pic of the header Horgan! I'd say Harps v Waterford would be some craic with himself and Roderick on the sideline.

nigel-harps1954
01/06/2015, 10:41 AM
It's funny, because he's been very mellow this season so far..

To be honest, I prefer the way he is to a manager that just sits on the bench and doesn't say a word. He's the most passionate football man I've ever met in my life and has an incredible encyclopedic knowledge of almost every single player, coach and team in this league, as well as a huge number of players across the water. It's a real education chatting to the fella.

Town Legend
01/06/2015, 10:49 AM
At least if there's any boring 0-0 he'll provide plenty of entertainment. He showed great restraint not to put his fist through the dugout at one stage. Martin Russell could take a leaf out of his book!

nigel-harps1954
01/06/2015, 10:55 AM
Thankfully, we're only negative and boring away from home. Finn Parks been a great spot for us this season...suppose he's no need to go mental when we're top of the league.

Town Legend
01/06/2015, 11:41 AM
Will the game go ahead this evening Nigel? Heavy rain down here and high winds expected later. Are ye escaping it up there?

nigel-harps1954
01/06/2015, 1:45 PM
Will the game go ahead this evening Nigel? Heavy rain down here and high winds expected later. Are ye escaping it up there?

There's a good bit of rain, but pitch is in great nick and it's unlikely to be called off. There's meant to be a pitch inspection around 5 or 6, but it's around 90% definitely going ahead unless the rain and wind gets awfully bad altogether.

This picture was taken half an hour ago.

http://www.finnharps.com/fhfc/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/pitch.jpg.jpg

outspoken
01/06/2015, 2:35 PM
Thankfully, we're only negative and boring away from home. Finn Parks been a great spot for us this season...suppose he's no need to go mental when we're top of the league.

Or is that just the Dublin media 😂

Town Legend
01/06/2015, 2:49 PM
Cheers Nigel. Winds getting very bad here now. Might be safer to keep updated on livescore than venture out. Will have an inspection on the weather myself in an hour.

nigel-harps1954
01/06/2015, 4:43 PM
I realise it's probably a bit late for ye now...but the match is going ahead. Sun is out and preparations on the pitch are ongoing.

Darklordsbane
01/06/2015, 5:23 PM
The grounds staff must be doing a great job it looks in great nick, should really suits De Town quick passing and moving game

Darklordsbane
01/06/2015, 5:40 PM
I usually have a small bet on the goal scorers markets on De Town matches but I can't find any bookie giving odds on the goalscorers
I have tried
Betpack, Paddy power, Boyle sports, Corals, William hill, Betfair, Bet Victor, Ladbrokes, bet 365, and Stan James
anyone know a bookie betting on it

Town Legend
01/06/2015, 6:58 PM
Well I didn't end up travelling and all of a sudden it's a lovely day out there! As regards team news as expected we've made a host of changes with a more important game coming up on Friday. Hunt, Mulhall, Tyrell, Powell and Shannon all coming in and Cowan making it onto the bench.

Darklordsbane
01/06/2015, 9:56 PM
I didn't go either too long a drive back late at night with work tomorrow delighted with the win anyone know when the next round is

nigel-harps1954
01/06/2015, 10:45 PM
Ye were very, very lucky tonight. The better team lost. Simple as that. Chatting to Tony Cousins briefly outside the ground and he said the better team definitely lost tonight, but that ye should have had it wrapped up on Friday. He was very impressed with Harps and said we should easily be in the Premier next season and hopes to see us there.

L.T.F.C.
01/06/2015, 11:45 PM
Ye were very, very lucky tonight. The better team lost. Simple as that. Chatting to Tony Cousins briefly outside the ground and he said the better team definitely lost tonight, but that ye should have had it wrapped up on Friday. He was very impressed with Harps and said we should easily be in the Premier next season and hopes to see us there.

Was looking forward to this post.

nigel-harps1954
02/06/2015, 12:05 AM
Was looking forward to this post.

Hope you weren't let down too much.

Town Legend
02/06/2015, 12:26 AM
From a few reports Lorcan Shannon was very lucky not to see red tonight. Just watched Soccer Republic and Kaleem Simon was very lucky he didn't have his foot planted to the ground as it would surely of been broken. Near the end of the game Davy slid in on a loose ball from the keeper. I thought the ref booked him for that (which I thought was very harsh considering the keeper let it spill) but from seeing it on TV he booked him for pushing the Harps defender in the chest after that. Surely that should of been red? I know it wasn't the face but is a shove to the chest a red?