PDA

View Full Version : TerryLand Park

TheLedge
02/12/2004, 1:30 PM
Just thinkin...

SDFC, the new owners/operators of GUFC have a history of buying and selling land around the city as a method of funding club activities. What does this bode for the future of Terryland Park?

Personally, I can see it being sold to property developers for millions, due to it's central location the site must be worth a fortune.Property in Dun na Coiribe is seriously valuable and this could be seen by the new board as a way of raising funds for a "new start" for GUFC/SDFC.

I'm not sure what the fans of this site would think of this. I know when GU played in Glenina for a while, they attracted fairly big attendances, and supporters on the East side of the city that would not normally have otherwise gone to see United, turned out.

I think it's sale is inevitable. What do you think guys?

Good or Bad? :confused:

Terry
02/12/2004, 1:35 PM
Just thinkin...

SDFC, the new owners/operators of GUFC have a history of buying and selling land around the city as a method of funding club activities. What does this bode for the future of Terryland Park?

Its not theres to sell, the land belongs to the galway FA and not galway united. GUFC just rents it

Terry
02/12/2004, 1:37 PM
only a small fraction of the people that went to matches in glenina paid, as most of the people were just jump the wall!!!

galwaygirl
02/12/2004, 1:39 PM
Just thinkin...

Personally, I can see it being sold to property developers for millions, due to it's central location the site must be worth a fortune.Property in Dun na Coiribe is seriously valuable and this could be seen by the new board as a way of raising funds for a "new start" for GUFC/SDFC.

I'm not sure what the fans of this site would think of this. I know when GU played in Glenina for a while, they attracted fairly big attendances, and supporters on the East side of the city that would not normally have otherwise gone to see United, turned out.

I think it's sale is inevitable. What do you think guys?

I may be wrong but as far as i know neither GUFC or SDFC own Terryland, so therefore cannot sell it.
Things are bad enough as it is at the moment, besides putting thoughts like that in our head.... :(

galwaygirl
02/12/2004, 1:41 PM
Its not theres to sell, the land belongs to the galway FA and not galway united. GUFC just rents it

apologies Terry, i was sending in my reply when yours went through.. :o

TheLedge
02/12/2004, 1:47 PM
:( didnt know that guys! cheers!

I'm not convinced though that GUFC has a future in Terryland. Attendances are abysmal at best. The new admin could well look to an alternative venue as a way of boosting crowd numbers!

Sorry to be puttin these thoughts in your head GalwayGirl, but its a fact that new administrations come with new ideas, and anything is now a possibility!

Jumpin the wall! I totally forgot! :)

Remember the day shadow from Gladiators came in the helicopter? That was brilliant!!never met him though!

Patrick Dunne
02/12/2004, 1:50 PM
.. to get their grubby hands on Terryland. Thankfully, it is held in trust. :)

GalwayFrancis
02/12/2004, 1:51 PM
i'd be happy with a nice new compact stadium, on the west hopefully

Terry
02/12/2004, 2:26 PM
i'd be happy with a nice new compact stadium, on the west hopefully

I would be totally against any move from Terryland :mad: Thats to much like SDFC for me, bloody travellers! :)

TheLedge
02/12/2004, 2:32 PM
You'd have to agree with me, that access to Terryland for fans is pretty poor. There's parking for 200 cars, and thats it! Unless you park on the Quincentennial, which Control Plus(w4nks!) would only love!

Would the club's support grow if it was more accessible?

I mean 300 fans at a home league game is pretty awful. I'm sure we can do better!

Patrick Dunne
02/12/2004, 2:45 PM
.. is one of the more accesible in the Eircom League. Less than a mile from city centre, probably the largest car park in the EL.

Salthilll's ground at Drum is around three miles from the Westside, in the middle of the bog, halfway between Barna and Moycullen. Two cars cannot pass on the road to the ground, unless one pulls into the ditch.

GalwayFrancis
02/12/2004, 2:50 PM
.. is one of the more accesible in the Eircom League. Less than a mile from city centre, probably the largest car park in the EL.

Salthilll's ground at Drum is around three miles from the Westside, in the middle of the bog, halfway between Barna and Moycullen. Two cars cannot pass on the road to the ground, unless one pulls into the ditch.

was just thinkin about it there, terryland is cool, yea big carpark. dyke rd will (prob) be upgrated soon.. as its tiny.. and its a compact stadium... but it needs a pub and a fulltime club shop...ie new stand

TheLedge
02/12/2004, 2:51 PM
I wasn't comparing Drom with Terryland. Drom's access is pretty awful IMO.

Nor, was I advocating moving the club to Drom! You'd need to build 40 ft walls around the place to stop the wind! Its on top of a mountain!

Buller
20/12/2004, 4:37 PM
When i was at terryland pk the main stand was around 3/4's full! Galway were playing Finn Harps i think... it was only last year. But what the story with the other side of the ground? Are ya building another stand or whats the story?!

Terry
21/12/2004, 6:48 AM
we were supposed to be but the grants from the FAI and the galway county council never came through ! :(