PDA

View Full Version : whats up with vinny

briano
01/12/2004, 11:00 PM
why are the club treatin vinny perth so bad well not so much the club but the manager... in the news papers today it said he wont have a new deal but will have to turn up for preseason... what if he gets other offers as he did durin the season...does the manager expect him ti hang on hope he gets a contract i find this degrading to a player who gave his heart and soul for longford!!!!!

Longfordian
01/12/2004, 11:09 PM
I would think it's more he's not going to be paid in the off season, he never has been in his time at LTFC, last I heard he was going to be offered a contract. If he wasn't he wouldnt have to turn up for pre-season as he'd be a free agent wouldn't he..stop trying to stir things briano. that's all you've done since you registered..rumours about dillo leaving now vinny, it seems you've hidden agendas

Xlex
01/12/2004, 11:11 PM
something a tad out with you mate, but I'll humour you anyway.

It looks as if neither side has committed themselves. things will be tight budget wise and I suppose it makes better sense to adopt a wait and see on the situation. Vinny is a legend, no question but a first eleven player he isn't. It isn't conventional but given Vinny's history both sides are giving each other space. If a club is interested in Vinny then he decides. If LTFC have space in the budget, and a requirement for Vinny then we offer a deal. That's the situation and were it only for the fact the Vinny is such a guy, you wouldn't question it.

remember, Vinny signed a only a three month deal with Lawlor to give himself the chance to consider moving at the time. granted there was more to it than that....

Why do people always try to undermine Matthews in any circumstance? After all that man has delivered, he deserves some credit.

Longfordian
01/12/2004, 11:21 PM
Yeah that sounds about right, if he gets offers from other clubs he'd be free to consider them, likewise if Alan gets his hands on a better midfielder and it's indisputable that they're out there, he may say to Vinny thanks for everything, it'd be a sad day but one that has to come eventually, I do know that Alan has the height of respect for Vinny though

Tallanted
02/12/2004, 9:42 AM
Ah come on now longfordian stop makin excuses for the way matthews is treatin vinny. After the service and dedication vinny has given us over the years it is an absolute insult to treat him this way. Why offer pip a contract and not do the same with him? Vinny deserves better than that. Matthews might as well be tellin him he isn't wanted

Macy
02/12/2004, 10:29 AM
Didn't take long for the Matthews Out campaign to pick up again after our most successful season ever. I despair I really do.... :rolleyes:

briano
02/12/2004, 10:34 AM
..stop trying to stir things briano. that's all you've done since you registered..rumours about dillo leaving now vinny, it seems you've hidden agendas[/QUOTE]

im not stirin things im just askin whats goin on your the one that seems to know everythin and puts people straight with everythin includin wages... your readin your fathers files on the players are you!!!
and why is it in the papers about vinny and not keep private...hes done more for the club than most people would know....and if matthews respected him he'd treat him better...FACT!!!

Longfordian
02/12/2004, 11:09 AM
On the contrary you're the one that seems to be getting inside info, obviously from the playing side.. I don't read anyone's files as you put it, I don't recall putting up anyone's wages, any info I put up is as far as i know, from people I speak to. What seems to have started you off was Graham Gartland's departure, I put up as I said at the time,what I was asked to put up by the club. Either way you seem to have an anti Alan Mathews slant on things and your posts are sounding a little bitter. I make no apologies for being pro club and manager.

Maybe he considers Pip a better player? Remember Pip's first season, almost every player felt he deserved to be player of the year. Vinny's a legend there's no question about that and it's a sorry day if he does go, I wasn't trying to deny that but given Alan Mathews' sucess with us he deserves the chance to do what he feels is right. End of rant.

btw I hadnt seen the papers so your post was the first I'd heard of Vinny's situation, maybe you weren't trying to stir but that's how it seemed

Tallanted
02/12/2004, 12:29 PM
If treating the most loyal longford player like dirtis what matthews thinks is right then thats a shame. Yes Matthews is our most successful manager ever no doubting that or his ability but what about vinny he is our current most successful player(along with digger) he deserves a bit of respect. If he is wanted then so be it if not then for god sake get tell him.

Longfordian
02/12/2004, 12:37 PM
That's fair enough..I don't know what's going on between the two of them,I didn't hear anything about it, except what's on here and in the paper, it does seem a strange situation, all reports from Bray have it that Pip is going back to them so I can't see Mathews letting him and Vinny go, especially as Darragh's out for a good while if he is staying, hopefully Vinny does get a contract

boots
02/12/2004, 4:59 PM
No offence to Vinny or anything, he is a ledgend etc but unfortunately he doesnt cut the premier mustard anymore..
Sentimentality and uber-loyalty is a trap unsuccessful managers fall in to. Generally mathews seems to avoid this.

Macy
03/12/2004, 9:43 AM
We're supposedly after Mark O'Brien from Rovers. If we're re-signing Pip, then I struggle to see where Vinny fits in - he'd certainly have 3 central midfielders ahead of him.

Dillo
03/12/2004, 9:52 AM
Vinny is past it IMO. However it would be nice to see him remain at the club and get involved in the background- perhaps a motivator or a psychologist of some kind! :cool:
I think we need to be looking at someone better than Mark O' Brien, a bigger name. There has been no rumours of Town signing any big name players so far which is somewhat discouraging. This club must be taking forward.

Xlex
03/12/2004, 10:24 AM
apperently Mark O'Brien is quite a decent young talent in the midfield. Wouldn't half mind.

elwood
03/12/2004, 10:29 AM
was it not true that when john martin signed, a lot of people said john who ??? just because he wasn't a big name doesn't mean he wasn't a good signing.

CollegeTillIDie
03/12/2004, 10:33 AM
was it not true that when john martin signed, a lot of people said john who ??? just because he wasn't a big name doesn't mean he wasn't a good signing.

Another graduate of the Belfield academy of Excellence :D

Macy
03/12/2004, 10:46 AM
I think we need to be looking at someone better than Mark O' Brien, a bigger name. There has been no rumours of Town signing any big name players so far which is somewhat discouraging. This club must be taking forward.
Mark O'Brien is a great prospect, and the only reason I can think we're even in the running is because we're not full time.

Big name players want full time contracts, which we simply can't afford. If we can pick up quality the like of him and Danny O'Connor and I suppose Myler (I'll reserve judgement) I'd be more than happy. With more and more clubs going full time, we should be fighting it out with Pats for the quality part timers (there's plenty that have too good a job to give up for a few years full time).

Clubs pretty full time or going that way now are:
Shels
Bohs
Cork
Derry
Waterford
Drogs
Rovers (supposedly)

That leaves us, Pats, Bray, UCD and Harps fighting it out for the part timers. Harps have trouble because of the distance, UCD aren't a great attraction. Bray maybe too much of a yo yo club for people to sign for, if they have the money. So that leaves us and Pats.

Schumi
03/12/2004, 11:11 AM
Waterford are going full time?

Macy
03/12/2004, 11:19 AM
Waterford are going full time?
Think they already have quite a few full timers. I am open to correction on that one though.

techs
03/12/2004, 11:52 AM
Na I'm unique, only one of me. Lets be honest Tallanted (I think the name says it all) Vinny is past it and thats that. We need to add strength to the midfield and I don't think Vinny is up to it. Shame to see him go if that happens but thats football we are movin on

Wiseguy
03/12/2004, 12:26 PM
I have to say i do think Vinny isn't up to it anymore.He looked so unfit for part of the season most games he was involved in just past him by.Vinny has been superb for the club and deserves a hand shake from every supporter but the club has to move on and field the strongest possible team and i just don't think Vinny fits in.
John Martin & Deano look a good combination with John providing the pace and skill and Deano doing the Donkey work.Deano should really shine next season with a good rest.

Dillo
03/12/2004, 1:20 PM

John Martin has a lot to prove yet at Longford Town. He only started playing well at the end of this season so next season will tell us a thing or two about him.

I see where you're coming from Macy alright. It's hard to compete with the full-timers but I still reckon there should be enough incentives there to attract decent players. English Second Division might be our best bet. Whether players like Andy Myler and Danny O' Connor are good enough to take the club that step forward remains to be seen. I'd have my doubts... :confused:

briano
03/12/2004, 6:32 PM
weither vinny is good enough or not he still deserves to be treated better than he has been if the manager doesnt thinks hes good enough why doesnt he tell out straight instead of stringin him along... what it comes down to is havin a bit of honour and doin the right thing instead of it bein in the papers..
you cant expect good players to sign if the players we already have are bein treated bad players in this league talk and im sure a few lads have been warned off comin to longford.....but the club and directors are great and would do anythin for the club

Sonic
04/12/2004, 8:27 PM
Alan Matthews should be ashamed of himself for treating vincent the way he is.he should give him a contract end of story

Macy
13/12/2004, 9:19 AM
We're supposedly after Mark O'Brien from Rovers. If we're re-signing Pip, then I struggle to see where Vinny fits in - he'd certainly have 3 central midfielders ahead of him.
Below post on the Ultra's forum - we are the club in Red and Black mentioned. As I've said before, an excellent signing if it comes off. We'd have a potentially great midfield...

i saw mark in town on wednesday. iv known him a while because i played with him for belvo for a year. i got talkin to him about his contract at rovers. he said that roddy has put a deal on the table for him but he described it as laughable to me.

he also said that a club who wear black and red were sniffing around and they offered a contract almost double what rovers did.

to me its simple....... roddys gotta get the finger out and keep this quality player

max power
13/12/2004, 9:35 AM
Below post on the Ultra's forum - we are the club in Red and Black mentioned. As I've said before, an excellent signing if it comes off. We'd have a potentially great midfield...

indeed, alan rates him highly........looks like a defo signing from what i have heard.

Longfordian
13/12/2004, 3:53 PM
He's a target alright, don't know that we'd be doubling his wages however, last I heard which was last week there were further talks planned but the signs were positive from our point of view