PDA

View Full Version : Re: Sunday Sport

JW.
12/01/2002, 6:27 PM
I wasn't altogether impressed. George Hamilton could hardly have been more uninterested and the show was laboured. Why were the Monaghan and Shels' highlights shoved in at the end, away from the main highlights, with dreadful camera work, when it was the main game? Might not be totally RTÉ's fault (re: cameras) but still...

The piece on Trevor Molloy was complete tokenism. I argued that there should be main highlights from one game, decent highlights from another, a feature game (ie a feature being a major part of the piece rather than the actual game) and the goals from the other three games. The Molloy piece lasted about 30 seconds and it was a waste of time. Why not a piece about what the day of a game is like for a professional IRISH footballer for a whole day?

It was enjoyable, but then we would enjoy it anyway. In a few weeks we might have to rejoice over a minute of coverage after all the Gah is shown. We need a NL highlights show, not a supressed Sunday Sport.

JW

http://www.eircomleague.net

pete
14/01/2002, 9:54 AM
Yeah I didn't think much of the show either. 30mins would be fine if continued throughout the season but with GAA back in a few weeks we'll be lucky to see any eL. And to think RTE announced this as some new deal with the FAI to continue til the end of the season?>!?!?!??

I think it could be a good idea to stick sunday sport & the soccer show together for a one hour programme?

dahamsta
14/01/2002, 1:21 PM
TBH, I don't think RTE have a lot of blame to shoulder here, same as (for once) I don't think Eircom are to blame. I think it's up to the FAI and the clubs to invest (not just time, but energy too) into the league (rather than their own pockets) and at least /attempt/ to compete with the UK.

I know Irish soccer will never come anywhere close to the UK competitions, but they don't seem to even try to pull in some market share. Let Irish soccer fans have their UK teams, that's their prerogative, but why not try to impress a wee bit of patriotism and "your local team" on the fans.

It doesn't need particularly /expensive/ marketing, just /clever/ marketing.

Ooh look, I've gone off-topic.

adam

Wizzard
15/01/2002, 11:09 AM
You don't get newpapers like that anymore.

Headlines like London Double Decker Bus found on the Moon , now that's news as it should be.

dahamsta
15/01/2002, 11:14 AM
It was the noddies on page 3, 4, 5, 7, 11, 12, 14, etc, that did it for me. :)

adam

Éanna
15/01/2002, 3:30 PM
isn't great, but it is a start at least.