View Full Version : League fixtures May 8/9

Pages : [1] 2

WoodquayBoy
08/05/2015, 6:04 PM
Pats v Shams off due to waterlogged pitch

sulywaterfordfc
08/05/2015, 6:22 PM
We're missing nine away to Harps.

I think we'll set up to draw but Harps will score first. Then they'll sit back we'll throw everything at them an Harps will kill the game by scoring a second via a counter attack.

WoodquayBoy
08/05/2015, 6:39 PM
We are missing 9 for trip to Derry as well - a Harps/Derry double could be the bet of the weekend

PartySaint
08/05/2015, 7:16 PM
We are missing 9 for trip to Derry as well - a Harps/Derry double could be the bet of the weekend

Galway lead

WoodquayBoy
08/05/2015, 7:24 PM
2-0 now. Sure what do I know

SkStu
08/05/2015, 9:07 PM
Nice win Harpies (after last weeks kick in the flange).

TBWRA.

nigel-harps1954
08/05/2015, 9:59 PM
Sweet jesus...that was a crap game. Waterford didn't deserve to lose. But there was an absolutely world class strike from Mickey Funston for Harps first. No goalkeeper in world football would have saved that one, unbelievable.

Nesta99
09/05/2015, 12:23 AM
Sweet jesus...that was a crap game. Waterford didn't deserve to lose. But there was an absolutely world class strike from Mickey Funston for Harps first. No goalkeeper in world football would have saved that one, unbelievable.

Dirty big toe swerver?

brendy_éire
09/05/2015, 12:29 AM
Brutal, appalling stuff from ourselves tonight. Again.
Weak in all areas of the field. Galway controlled the game, looked far more threatening.
We're just dreadful to watch at present. It's pathetic.
Says it all when the biggest cheer of the night was when Elding pulled off a save (after Doherty and Patton both went off injured).

Poor crowd again, barely a couple of hundred remained for the final whistle. Boos all round at the end.
Pizza needs to get this sorted asap.

El-Pietro
09/05/2015, 1:06 AM
Sounds like tonight might have been the worst night in LOI history.

Sligo are fupping horrible, and we nearly gave them three points due to our horribleness. They are seriously a terrible football side. We won tonight and I was very close to booing the team off they were that bad

Sam_Heggy
09/05/2015, 9:11 AM
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=415241961990620

Mickey Funstons goal last night

oriel
09/05/2015, 9:39 AM
Cracking goal, looked a decent crowd too?

nigel-harps1954
09/05/2015, 10:08 AM
Cracking goal, looked a decent crowd too?

Half the crowd weren't in at that stage

For those not on Facebook

ger121
09/05/2015, 11:42 AM
Half the crowd weren't in at that stage

For those not on Facebook

Good to see you're getting good crowds. Lovely strike! Nice build-up to the goal too.

osarusan
09/05/2015, 12:18 PM
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=415241961990620

Mickey Funstons goal last night

Took a deflection surely?

nigel-harps1954
09/05/2015, 2:26 PM
Took a deflection surely?

No deflection, pure swerve. Pity there's no reverse angle, from the stand the goal was absolutely ridiculous.

gufcfan
09/05/2015, 2:40 PM
No deflection, pure swerve. Pity there's no reverse angle, from the stand the goal was absolutely ridiculous.

Don't think so either. Keeper didn't move because he was unsighted. Not that he would have saved it.

JC_GUFC
09/05/2015, 5:18 PM
Brutal, appalling stuff from ourselves tonight. Again.
Weak in all areas of the field. Galway controlled the game, looked far more threatening.
We're just dreadful to watch at present. It's pathetic.
Says it all when the biggest cheer of the night was when Elding pulled off a save (after Doherty and Patton both went off injured).

Poor crowd again, barely a couple of hundred remained for the final whistle. Boos all round at the end.
Pizza needs to get this sorted asap.

That sums it up really.

Derry were terrible. They nearly scored after 30 seconds from a corner but created very little for the rest of the match. If anyone deserved another goal it was us - we were very good despite missing a heap of players.

At the back they looked pretty slow, midfield there wasn't much control and up front Morrison and Elding were useless. Elding going in goal was one of the highlights of all my years following League of Ireland (over 25 of them!) - I hope the Soccer Republic do it justice!

Derry's game against Sligo in 2 weeks is absolute massive in terms of what way both clubs' seasons will go - I think the losing manager could well be gone after.

Finally, obviously best wishes to Mark Farren. Some things are more important than football and all Galway United fans wish him the best.

nigel-harps1954
09/05/2015, 5:28 PM
On a side note, there was over €2,000 raised for Mark Farren fund in a bucket collection in Finn Park last night. Considering the crowd was around 800, that's an excellent amount raised.

nigel-harps1954
09/05/2015, 9:21 PM
Harps two other goals against Waterford.

sligoman
09/05/2015, 9:43 PM
Derry's game against Sligo in 2 weeks is absolute massive in terms of what way both clubs' seasons will go - I think the losing manager could well be gone after.Heary could well be gone after we don't beat Drogheda next week.

shep
09/05/2015, 11:24 PM
Good 3 points for us tonight,Longford pressed us and didmt make life easy but in the end the bit of class shone through.Great goal from Horgan.All in all a very enjoyable night in what is a beautiful set up.Club rooms for half time tea and general tidiness of the ground is something I would love to see in future in Oriel.

Town Legend
09/05/2015, 11:28 PM
Dundalk are a different class altogether. Horgan is a great player, slack marking on him leading up to the goal but he took it well. I thought we dealt very well with the threat of Towell but unfortunately for us Dundalk have more than one match winner in their squad. When you see the likes of O'Donnell and Mountney not getting a start you know you're in for a tough night!

Ezeikial
09/05/2015, 11:30 PM
Good 3 points for us tonight,Longford pressed us and didmt make life easy but in the end the bit of class shone through.Great goal from Horgan.All in all a very enjoyable night in what is a beautiful set up.Club rooms for half time tea and general tidiness of the ground is something I would love to see in future in Oriel.

Great selection of crisps.
Gently perfumed stewards.
Lovely green pitch.

Dunny
09/05/2015, 11:47 PM
Great win for Dundalk but this is just bloody stupid.

http://www.the42.ie/longford-dundalk-sse-airtricity-league-report-2094422-May2015/

The title race is fast becoming a foregone conclusion after another Dundalk win tonight

Horgan a snip at €10k ;) thanks Cork.A mile above everyone at the san siro tonight.Great trip down,enjoyed it.

(Lily)White Power.

https://scontent-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11031907_826426657411896_5598255742815207455_n.jpg ?oh=8cfa4e70ff18cb61f1f6afe4622cefb4&oe=55DE29E1

Town Legend
09/05/2015, 11:50 PM
Lovely green pitch.

That's good to know.

oriel
09/05/2015, 11:51 PM
I thought we did ok, certainly not a top class performance but we definitely did enough to win the match. Longford are very well organised and made it hard for us, restricted our passing game to along the back and limited this in the MF area. This was one of Towell's quieter games, but I think he got a knock at the end of the Bray match last Monday.

Horgan and Shields were our best performers, still think Finn can do a lot better at times, and surely O'Donnell can't be far off starting soon. Mountney was very lively when he came on and took his goal well. It was also good to have a look at Paddy Barrett in defence to for the last 20.

That's a nice set up Longford have over there, really nice ground, delighted with the 3 points, but they'll be tough to beat there this season.

Decent away following, not sure on the figures, possibly 400? But also noticed a good few DLK fans scattered in the main stand also.

Duffman
10/05/2015, 2:17 AM
That 16 for Longford was the best player on the pitch tonight, mugged Towell and Shields a few times

gufcfan
10/05/2015, 2:28 AM
That 16 for Longford was the best player on the pitch tonight, mugged Towell and Shields a few times

Ben Mohamed that was at UCD? Seriously?

Longfordian
10/05/2015, 3:15 AM
Ben Mohamed that was at UCD? Seriously?

I wasn't at the game tonight but he's very talented. Read an interview with him recently where he said he'd only played a year or so of proper schoolboy football before signing for UCD before he'd even done his Leaving Cert. He's in first year in Trinity at the moment so hopefully we'll hold onto him for a while.

pineapple stu
10/05/2015, 7:18 AM
Very talented player, if supremely lazy at times

Town Legend
10/05/2015, 7:24 AM
I thought he played ok, was knocked off the ball too easily though. In the second half Dundalk had 2 and sometimes 3 players tackling him when he got the ball. He probably was Longfords best player but I didn't think he was the best player on show last night. Each to their own I suppose!

mcgonigle
10/05/2015, 7:51 AM
Lovely green pitch.

If a little narrow!

Ezeikial
10/05/2015, 8:49 AM
Good result - turgid boring game

Longford are clearly a hard working if limited team, while Dundalk did enough to win, without really getting into their more normal stride.

Chris Shields was again the standout player on the pitch. Ben Mohamed has good close control all right, but had little real impact on the game

patrickccfc
10/05/2015, 3:36 PM
Sounds like tonight might have been the worst night in LOI history.

Sligo are fupping horrible, and we nearly gave them three points due to our horribleness. They are seriously a terrible football side. We won tonight and I was very close to booing the team off they were that bad

I'd have to agree with you there. At 2-0 it was all good and we weren't playing too bad. But to let Sligo, a team who on the night were playing like their league position suggests for the most part, back in and even get to a position where they might've won the game is just criminal. We lack that killer instinct to put the game beyond doubt, maybe the previous 2 results had dented confidence but still it was inexcusable. Will be looking for better tomorrow night

outspoken
10/05/2015, 5:25 PM
If a little narrow!

Brought in for the visit of the champions, no better compliment than that.

Martinho II
10/05/2015, 7:58 PM
really enjoyed the Dundalk match even though we lost! great chattin to the two Dundalk fans that stayed overnight that I met in Valentines including Holiday Song! I thought we tired a lot towards the end but I was very happy with our performance. Yet again Skinner was superb for us!

White Horse
10/05/2015, 8:03 PM

Shortened by four yards for the game, is that correct?

Nothing wrong with that. I prefer it to other teams not cutting their grass or watering their pitches.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
11/05/2015, 7:50 AM
really enjoyed the Dundalk match even though we lost! great chattin to the two Dundalk fans that stayed overnight that I met in Valentines including Holiday Song! I thought we tired a lot towards the end but I was very happy with our performance. Yet again Skinner was superb for us!

Is that in the match or the performance of Holiday Song?

El-Pietro
11/05/2015, 11:12 AM

Is that allowed? I thought teams had to specify their pitch dimensions at the start of the season?

Dodge
11/05/2015, 11:24 AM
Is that allowed? I thought teams had to specify their pitch dimensions at the start of the season?

Now, they can be changed (as long as they're within the guidelines)

Mr A
11/05/2015, 11:32 AM
McGettigan's seeking legal advise: https://soundcloud.com/darren-quigley-1/recording1-mp3

White Horse
11/05/2015, 11:37 AM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h311/MarkJM/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg

redobit
11/05/2015, 12:42 PM
Shortened by four yards for the game, is that correct?

Nothing wrong with that. I prefer it to other teams not cutting their grass or watering their pitches.

Watering none of a pitch isn't as bad as only watering half a pitch.

ciaraa
11/05/2015, 2:06 PM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h311/MarkJM/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg

Thanks for the pic - I'll be in Longford area on Tuesday and was wondering where I could get a good pair of shoes.

outspoken
11/05/2015, 2:13 PM
As said above the pitch was immaculate and Dundalk were still able to play long cross field passes with ease so the narrower pitch didn't effect them at all, if anything it effected us more.

Ezeikial
11/05/2015, 2:34 PM
As said above the pitch was immaculate and Dundalk were still able to play long cross field passes with ease so the narrower pitch didn't effect them at all, if anything it effected us more.

Strange then to narrow it, if that was the case?

outspoken
11/05/2015, 3:36 PM
Strange then to narrow it, if that was the case?

You can understand why TC did it as it made for less chasing of the ball for our lads but considering the best chance of countering ye was down the flanks, it really didn't work out.

patrickccfc
11/05/2015, 9:04 PM
We were abysmal in the first half tonight. Definitely didn't see 4 goals coming in the second half but great to see Billy getting 3 and Shepard scoring(appropriately the sky was red) we''ll take the 6 points this weekend anyway that's for sure but we really need to improve

KeepersBall
11/05/2015, 9:39 PM
What deafhuck was going on with us getting THREE red cards?