PDA

View Full Version : make money! from an incoming Australian football fan...

friseal
29/11/2004, 7:14 PM
greetings and salutations.

i'm starting at UCD in January, and i intend to go to as many FAI and IFA (and Celtic) games as is humanly and economically possible.

the eL fascinates me, because it's essentially the fifth spectator sport in the country after the EPL and Celtic, Hurling, Gaelic Footy, and Rugby (well i'm sure there's some other crap in there like horse racing or golf but i don't consider them real sports). now for a country with a population of less than 4 million to have even a semi-profressional 5th-preference sport is astounding - and must be down to a small, loyal hardcore lot who annually fork out the dough.

in Australia (pop. 20 million), i think the 5th preference spectator sport would probably be...... netball. or field hockey. and no, they don't have semi-professional players.

but i'm going to go into my Irish soccer journey with a reasonably open mind, with a view to falling head-over-heals in love with one club or another.

now i fancy myself as a bit of a journalist, so i'll be hoping to get my tale published (somewhere) and i'll probably take a camera amongst the crowd and take a veritable ****load of photos of drunken Irishmen, and might even put up a website with my findings.

so, what the **** do you care? well, aside from the fact that one day i'll be rich and famous and you'll curse yourself for not wooing me to your beloved but indebted club, i'm offering you cash. no more than two people per club, but cash all the same. why you may ask? what has brought on this profound display of genorisity? because as a couple of you might recall, i did some editing work for EA SPORTS for the eircome League (and some people on here helped me out), and they payed me a cheque of course, so i thought i might as well make my eL discovery interesting, and pay back some of the people who make Irish football so great. i'll pay you in person and buy you a pint or ten if the circumstances permit.

but as i said, no more than 2 people, and you can only choose ONE club, so get it quick and choose wisely (and give [a] reason/s for why you picked the club).

keep in mind that the odds are obviously not objective under any criteria and somewhat reflect my expectations....

Shamrock Rovers - €20
Bohemians - €20
Shelbourne - €20
St Patrick's Athletic - €20
Cork City - €20
UCD - €25
Derry City - €25
Cliftonville - €30
Finn Harps - €30
Galway United - €30
Waterford United - €35
Longford Town - €40
Drogheda United - €40
Glentoran - €50
Portadown - €65
Coleraine - €75
Ards - €85
Linfield - €1,000,000 and i'll shoot myself in the head.

:)

Pablo
29/11/2004, 7:17 PM
Well sign me up For City! i'm not sure what you are asking though!

harpskid
29/11/2004, 7:17 PM
So when do i collect me money :rolleyes:

friseal
29/11/2004, 7:30 PM
So when do i collect me money :rolleyes:

when i am good and ready!!!

reasons remember people

harpskid
29/11/2004, 7:34 PM
Reasons for what....why i should get the money???

Because i'm great and deserve it soo much....

....plus i'm a student and the money would come in handy :D

Pablo
29/11/2004, 7:40 PM
because you want to stand here

http://www.corkcityfc.ie/gallery/displayimage.php?album=80&pos=41

and not in an empty Tolka Park

ShelsTim
29/11/2004, 8:10 PM
20 quid? A big club like us doesn't need that kinda money. Give it to Limerick.

P.S. Céad Míle Fáilte

EireBadBoy
30/11/2004, 9:38 AM
Linfield - €1,000,000 and i'll shoot myself in the head.

I'll have a piece of that action.

Cosmo
30/11/2004, 9:41 AM
Eh, I dont really understand what you're asking people to do - pick a club for what??

OneRedArmy
30/11/2004, 10:09 AM
We're not part of "rip-off Ireland" so the drink's still cheap as chips in Derry, so your 25 Euro will buy you far more booze up North. Plus you won't even have to change it to sterling, we're that accomodating.

Oh and we have the noisiest and best fans per head of capita in all of Ireland, so says the other thread......

When do I get my money? :D

Passive
30/11/2004, 11:25 AM
Simple really, if you want more booze, more lunatics and more drunken trips down the country than you can possible stomach, SRFC is the only one for you!

patsh
30/11/2004, 11:26 AM
Well remember that just because you attend the University, don't be fooled into thinking that UCD actually play football......;)

Aberdonian Stu
30/11/2004, 12:49 PM
That's right we play Total Football :D :ball:

YoungHoop
30/11/2004, 1:00 PM
ok is the question here which team you will fall in love with?

if it is im sure it will be rovers as the fans always have a great time and we dont only sing when were winning which was displayed on many ocasions this year.. although i wish it hadent.
So i would like to take you to a game and you can buy me the pint after it!

Deal? :ball:

gufcfan
30/11/2004, 4:23 PM
because you are likely to see the same 200 people every week. Not like SRFC, no offence, not, and the like where the team has to be winning every week to get a gud crowd

NY Hoop
30/11/2004, 4:27 PM
because you are likely to see the same 200 people every week. Not like SRFC, no offence, not, and the like where the team has to be winning every week to get a gud crowd

Utter rubbish. Our crowds are on a par with shelbyrne and we finished 9th.

KOH

BohDiddley
30/11/2004, 4:27 PM
20 quid? A big club like us doesn't need that kinda money. Give it to Limerick.

P.S. Céad Míle Fáilte
I don't think he's asking for a receipt :D

pineapple stu
30/11/2004, 6:34 PM
Utter rubbish. Our crowds are on a par with shelbyrne and we finished 9th.

KOH

Not by any stretch of the imagination according to this (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?p=195139#post195139) thread - in fact, Shels' crowds are 50% up on yours...

Granted, you're not getting 200 a week either! ;)

pineapple stu
30/11/2004, 6:37 PM
i'm starting at UCD in January, and I intend to go to as many FAI and IFA (and Celtic) games as is humanly and economically possible.

Hmmm...you say you'll be going to UCD...probably rules out going to a UCD game then! Lousy students! :( :p

Sure pop along to an aul game, head over the Montrose after - 'tis only a few hunderd yards away! For a lazy student (yes, it's a stereotype, but from experience, a remarkably good one!), do you need any other reason?! ;)

CollegeTillIDie
30/11/2004, 7:07 PM
Friseal

Come to see UCD play, the only university in Western Europe playing in a European Premier Division, and you will be a student there which means you will get in cheap. SO now you have no excuse.

Troy.McClure
01/12/2004, 3:13 PM
Friseal

Come to see UCD play, the only university in Western Europe playing in a European Premier Division, and you will be a student there which means you will get in cheap. SO now you have no excuse.

The football is crap, there's no atmosphere and its always freezing.

They were my excuses and I stand by them :D

CollegeTillIDie
01/12/2004, 6:03 PM
The football is crap, there's no atmosphere and its always freezing.

They were my excuses and I stand by them :D

Troy

We are one of the few teams in either division that plays passing football. So when exactly was the football crap? Do no equate atmosphere with quality of football because if you do you will be as ignorant as the barstool potatoes who do not go to games. Just because the crowd is not 60,000 does not mean it is a crap game.. always freezing... Grow up you wimp! :D

EireBadBoy
02/12/2004, 4:02 AM
Troy is watching his Carling Cup highlights he taped earlier.

Aberdonian Stu
02/12/2004, 8:11 AM
And besides he's a Trin now so can we trust him?

pete
02/12/2004, 11:46 AM
Just small point but I don't think more people watch rugby over football in this country. Sure they get 10-15k at ERC games but more like 3-6k at Celtic League games for main 3 teams whereas eL has 22 teams.