PDA

View Full Version : Setanta Cup-irish league entrants 2005

Pablo
29/11/2004, 7:01 PM
with the competition due to start, i presume, before their season ends; who are the irish league participants?

De Town
29/11/2004, 7:02 PM
with the competition due to start

is it not in April :confused:

Pablo
29/11/2004, 7:13 PM
is it not in April :confused:

do they not have punctuation in longford? due to start before the end of their season

eoinh
29/11/2004, 7:55 PM
Linfield, Glentoran & Portadown

Pablo
29/11/2004, 8:24 PM
Linfield, Glentoran & Portadown

hmmm. a friendly bunch i hope! i have to say though my deeply ingrained stereotype dictates a rabble of flute blowing union jack waving bowler hat types who wont welcome us to readily! :D

sonofstan
29/11/2004, 9:03 PM
Don't worry, they'll be cowed by the 20,000 fans you bring with you

A face
29/11/2004, 9:47 PM

I dunno ... cant see us bring that many this time !!

paudie
30/11/2004, 10:47 AM
hmmm. a friendly bunch i hope! i have to say though my deeply ingrained stereotype dictates a rabble of flute blowing union jack waving bowler hat types who wont welcome us to readily! :D

Actually from what i've seen on www.irishleagueforums.net many supporters of these clubs are really looking forward to the competition.

No doubt a few hard cases will accompany them on their travels but in general i'd say they'll just come down to watch a game of ball and have a few pints.

A bit like us City fans really!

patsh
30/11/2004, 10:51 AM
TBH, I can't see any trouble at these games. The only possible flashpoint clubs down here would have been Bohs or Rovers, (and even then the possibilty would be small) but they are obviously not in it.

Even if they were, however, I can't see any trouble, as I reckon virtually all supporters, North and South, want this to work.

corkharps
30/11/2004, 11:12 AM
:D :D

pineapple stu
30/11/2004, 2:00 PM
do they not have punctuation in longford? due to start before the end of their season

Like capital letters and full stops? ;)

Troy.McClure
30/11/2004, 6:16 PM
Actually from what i've seen on www.irishleagueforums.net many supporters of these clubs are really looking forward to the competition.

Where? I've taken a look but couldnt find any mention of it.

exile
30/11/2004, 9:15 PM
away to the like of linfiield dont appeal to me i have a friend fom that neck of the woods and he reckons stay the feck away from it as most of the linfield are pretty much on the lunatic fringe that would make rovers lunatics look like ballerina's they are made up of the hardcore violence leaning unionists who would revel in the chance of knockin the hell of out of a couple of southern guys

Shelsman
01/12/2004, 5:43 PM
TBH, I can't see any trouble at these games. The only possible flashpoint clubs down here would have been Bohs or Rovers, (and even then the possibilty would be small) but they are obviously not in it.

Can't imagine Rovers qualifying any time in the near future.

pete
02/12/2004, 12:14 PM
I can't see chance of trouble unless people go looking for it - same as any away trip really. I have no worries travelling up & should be great events although doesn't mean i'm likely to park outside Windsor Park ;)

Stanley Chan
02/12/2004, 2:18 PM
away to the like of linfiield dont appeal to me i have a friend fom that neck of the woods and he reckons stay the feck away from it as most of the linfield are pretty much on the lunatic fringe that would make rovers lunatics look like ballerina's they are made up of the hardcore violence leaning unionists who would revel in the chance of knockin the hell of out of a couple of southern guys

I wouldnt take what your mate says as gospel!

Although I hate the Blues with a vengance, what your mate says is just down to bitteness it seems.

Yes Linfield are a predominantly Protestant supported club, and with their colours being red, white and blue they do attract a lot of 'Billy Boys' in their support. But they are making moves to stamp out the sectarian singing in the stands etc.

As for the violence, you wont get much of that. Yes it wouldnt be the smartest thing wandering around the areas of all 3 stadiums Tricolours etc, as all three grounds are in loyalist housing estates, but stay in the city center on the day of the game and you'll be fine. Measures will be put into place to get yoiur fans in and out of the grounds. Cant remember the last time there was serious trouble between fans at an IL match, but as someone said, if you go outta your way to pick a fight, you'll get it!

Dublin12
02/12/2004, 4:04 PM
Just cos Rovers are not involved on the pitch doesn't mean their support won't be knocking around at the games,lets hope they steer well clear

pete
02/12/2004, 4:07 PM
All all-island league is probably necessary for the good of the game sooner or later so its important this Cup goes well.

paudie
03/12/2004, 1:52 PM
Just cos Rovers are not involved on the pitch doesn't mean their support won't be knocking around at the games,lets hope they steer well clear

I think some Rovers fans travel to Belfast for Cliftonville - Linfield games. Not sure why?

piratemousey
17/12/2004, 11:03 PM
the only tri colour ill be bringing is the cork city one!
red white and green!
feck that other one.
its about city not ireland.

rebel army no1
18/12/2004, 9:34 PM
no doubth they will be bringing their union jacks :eek:

A face
19/12/2004, 8:57 PM
no doubth they will be bringing their union jacks :eek:

That should really matter either though, ... i mean that wouldnt be an issue to get upset over. I mean you couldn't very well single that reason out over another as the motive to cause trouble, if so ... chances are, you are a gobshíte anyway and would have found another reason instead, i.e. "i am a mindless fúckwit and break things i cant understand"

CollegeTillIDie
20/12/2004, 12:06 AM
Did Anyone see the Sunday Tribune Sport Calendar for 2005 yesterday?
IN the middle page was a programme Schedule for Setanta Sports TV.
And it seems that the early stages of the Setanta Cup will see IL teams play against each other and EL teams play against each other. That would mean that the 2 teams from each jurisdiction would play the other jurisdiction sides only in the semi-final stages .

gspain
20/12/2004, 9:59 AM
Did Anyone see the Sunday Tribune Sport Calendar for 2005 yesterday?
IN the middle page was a programme Schedule for Setanta Sports TV.
And it seems that the early stages of the Setanta Cup will see IL teams play against each other and EL teams play against each other. That would mean that the 2 teams from each jurisdiction would play the other jurisdiction sides only in the semi-final stages .

Since when did the Turbine ever get anything right. :D

My understanding of the format as it was announced at the time was

2 groups of 3 teams - one containing one EL side and one containing 1 IL side. Home and away games. 2 group winners meet in the final. 13 games in total. No semis then.

No draw yet, No final venue yet (presume this could still be home and away) and no prize money breakdown yet but €300,000 approx if I remember the overall total correctly. a Longford fan did post detials of this somewhere though but I haven't seen anything in the press. This will be clarified at the draw on the 3rd week in January.

It would be totally daft to put all 3 teams from the same league in the same group.

Stevo Da Gull
06/01/2005, 11:43 PM
I'd say there might well be trouble, it's occasions like these that the idiot hooligans use an excuse to wreak havoc, I suspect that there will be some people from both sides of the border going to these games with no intention of watching football- they'll probably still wear jearsey's and bring the clubs reputation down with them.

I'll most likely travel into dublin for any Setanta matches in their, the atmosphere will be too much to ignore.

Dazzy
07/01/2005, 12:08 AM
Well if there is no trouble at our game with Linfield then i doubt that any of the other EL teams will.

paudie
07/01/2005, 9:18 AM
I'd say there might well be trouble, it's occasions like these that the idiot hooligans use an excuse to wreak havoc, I suspect that there will be some people from both sides of the border going to these games with no intention of watching football- they'll probably still wear jearsey's and bring the clubs reputation down with them.

It's up to the clubs to do as much as possible to prevent trouble at the cross border games, such as agreeing what away supporters can and cannot bring in the way of flags, arranging secure entrance and exits to grounds for away fans, maybe schoolboy games between the clubs at half time to help the atmosphere.

With a bit of goodwill all round they should pass off without too much trouble.

Home fans should do their bit too by calming any potential trouble makers, not going overboard with the chants etc.

max power
09/01/2005, 12:57 PM
It's up to the clubs to do as much as possible to prevent trouble at the cross border games, such as agreeing what away supporters can and cannot bring in the way of flags, arranging secure entrance and exits to grounds for away fans, maybe schoolboy games between the clubs at half time to help the atmosphere.

With a bit of goodwill all round they should pass off without too much trouble.

Home fans should do their bit too by calming any potential trouble makers, not going overboard with the chants etc.

how many will travel to cork for a mid week game anyway ?????

Éanna
09/01/2005, 5:17 PM
not as many as would travel FROM Cork- I can guarantee you that

paudie
10/01/2005, 1:09 PM

Not vast numbers but Linfield and Glentoran have fairly big support (compared to most EL teams) and I see from irishleagueforums at least some are planning to travel if they draw Cork.

There are direct Cork Belfast flights now.

Stanley Chan
24/01/2005, 4:47 PM
Really looking forward to this getting going. With the draw on Thursday more will become clear!

Ill hopefully be at all our games, home and away (work permitting)

Found this last night on the Cork City forum!

Maximum 25 players can be registered for the competition.
5 subs will be allowed.
In the event of a clash of colours,the home team changes.
Red card - miss next match
2 Yellow cards - miss next match.
4 officials will be appointed per game.
Admission prices £10 and £5 concession [not sure yet if that's for terrace/grandstand.]
Although the "draw" takes place on 27th Jan,the actual teams will not be allocated until 24th Feb !!
Winners Euro150K, runners-up 80K,all competing teams 30K.
Organisers take 20% final gate.Rest split between both finalists.
Group stages - home team keeps gate receipts.
Managers must be available 2 hours before each match,at half time and end of game for interview.
All kick-offs 7.15pm
All games to be played on Mondays or Tuesdays.

fosterdollar
24/01/2005, 4:51 PM
Although the "draw" takes place on 27th Jan,the actual teams will not be allocated until 24th Feb !!

Whats that about?

Stanley Chan
24/01/2005, 5:26 PM
I dont have a clue, threw me a bit to!

Longfordian
24/01/2005, 6:38 PM
Sure the allocation has already been done more or less hasn't it, 2 north 1 south, 2 south 1 north ..anything else is an actual draw isn't it? :confused: ..I dunno, we'll see what comes out of this launch on the 27th

Lossie Glens
24/01/2005, 7:51 PM
not as many as would travel FROM Cork- I can guarantee you that
You'll be surprised how many will travel. We reguarly take a large travelling support with us. Any year we are in Europe we take at least 200 plus. Around 500 made the trip to Sweden this year. Alot of the supporters clubs organise the trips and that helps to keep costs down.

Lossie Glens
24/01/2005, 7:54 PM
Not vast numbers but Linfield and Glentoran have fairly big support.

If you count fairly big as reguarly over 2000. I would say no other team on the island would have the size of support as us and the bloos would have. The games between us are usually sell outs at about 12-15000.

Stanley Chan
24/01/2005, 8:51 PM
I like your creative counting their Lossie!! ;)

yur man
24/01/2005, 8:53 PM
If you count fairly big as reguarly over 2000

is 2,000 the average figure for the other premier clubs up north?

The games between us are usually sell outs at about 12-15000.

thats quite a decent crowd there. beats anything in our league

looking forward to this a lot. i read the cork players are coming back early to pre season training for it. im hoping for 2 northern clubs in the draw, we can play longford and shels anytime.

as long as i can get to see it on cable over here ill be happy. ill have to contact my cable company

A face
24/01/2005, 9:02 PM
as long as i can get to see it on cable over here ill be happy. ill have to contact my cable company

You mean you are not going ???? :eek:

Oh right ... there are no flights from England to Belfast, oh ... sorry about that !!

Lossie Glens
25/01/2005, 7:16 AM
is 2,000 the average figure for the other premier clubs up north?

No. That wouldnt be the norm for any of the other clubs outside the Big Two. Portadown might get close, but generally they only get big crowds for the big games. Coleraine, Cliftonville and Ballymena all get a decent size of support but no were near what the Glens and bloos get.

yur man
25/01/2005, 11:49 AM
You mean you are not going ???? :eek:

Oh right ... there are no flights from England to Belfast, oh ... sorry about that !!

:D

i'd love to go but i cant, cos im moving home in the summer and cant afford it on my student income

ill have to be a barstooler :p