PDA

View Full Version : Partridge to Rotherham? good or bad?

eirebhoy
26/11/2004, 3:23 PM
Millers boss Ronnie Moore has also been out tonight looking at another player, which is thought to be Liverpool's Richie Partridge who has played in Liverpool's 1-1 draw at Leeds tonight.
http://www.rotherhamunited-mad.co.uk/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=189919

Well since Partridge didn't even make Liverpool's squad for the Arsenal game even though Garcia, Cisse, Baros, Josemi and Traore are all unavailable I think its time to move on. There's a few youngsters in the squad (including Welsh and Potter) but partridge didn't make it. He can talk to clubs after Christmas and I don't think I'd want to see him go to Rotterham who'll most likely be in division 2 when his contract runs out. He has to go somewhere but I'd rather be unnatached than move to division 2 as talent is always said to be "a gamble" when moving to the prem from the lower leagues.

What do you think?

Stuttgart88
26/11/2004, 3:26 PM
A move to a good Championship club could be good for him. But definitely not Rotherham.

Plastic Paddy
26/11/2004, 3:30 PM
I agree. Partridge should fly higher up.

I'll get me coat.

:o PP

Bowsy
26/11/2004, 3:32 PM
His continuing absence proves he needs to be on his bike but he's way too good for Rotherham. Maybe it was just a rumour but I was told he turned down Micky Adams at the start of last seaon (turning down Premiership football!!! The lads more foolhardy than loyal). He's good enough for top of championship at worst IMO. A Sunderland, Ipswich, Wigan, etc would be a great move for him and whatever club got him.

M@ttitude
26/11/2004, 3:40 PM
He needs out of the pool thats for sure, Raf wants to start winning and fast so he doesn't have time to be bringing in players.. If he did and they kept loosing then it will put bad light on the youngsters. A move to west brom/shef utd would do him good.

Kingdom
26/11/2004, 3:46 PM
His continuing absence proves he needs to be on his bike but he's way too good for Rotherham. Maybe it was just a rumour but I was told he turned down Micky Adams at the start of last seaon (turning down Premiership football!!! The lads more foolhardy than loyal). He's good enough for top of championship at worst IMO. A Sunderland, Ipswich, Wigan, etc would be a great move for him and whatever club got him.

Given Mick Mac's preference for all things Oirish perhaps a move to Sunderland is waiting in the wings.....

aidz1
26/11/2004, 3:49 PM
Garcia, Cisse, Baros, Josemi and Traore are all unavailable
as are smicer, le tallec, cheryou and nunez
if the penny hasnt dropped, he shop be well equiped to respond to avacany on the tills of lidl

thejollyrodger
26/11/2004, 3:52 PM
a move to sunderland would be excellent for Partridge. he is going nowhere at liverpool , and if he cant feature even with ALL those injuries in the side then its time to jump ship.

Mc Carthy would be a good move for him and I reckon they will be back in the premiership next season. he defintely should take it

eirebhoy
26/11/2004, 4:45 PM
Lads, I would dearly love to play in the Premiership too. I've accepted that this is not going to happen now. Richie . . . take the hint son.
The crucial word you left out there is "ability". ;) Richie has the ability to be a top class winger and if he had got his chance earlier he would be at least as popular as Andy Reid IMO.

thejollyrodger
26/11/2004, 5:38 PM
he HAS to go to another team though !! Even if it is only a half decent side in the championship. A top 3 side would be great for him and beats playing for the reserves no matter who the reserves are. Jump my son Jump !!

Irish_Praha
26/11/2004, 6:17 PM
I'm a Forest fan and I think a good deal for all parties would be for a deal to be done selling Reid to Liverpool for Partridge + 4 million.

drinkfeckarse
26/11/2004, 6:50 PM
The crucial word you left out there is "ability". ;) Richie has the ability to be a top class winger and if he had got his chance earlier he would be at least as popular as Andy Reid IMO.

Have you seen him a lot eirebhoy? I've never seen him in the flesh myself but everybody here seems to think he's a great player or has the ability to be....but how do we know though if he never plays for the 1st team?? A couple of subs appearances and an occasional loan doesn't really account for much given how old he is now.

I've seen reports myself on the Liverpool website saying when he's done well in a reserve game but reserve team football isn't a great gauge to be judged on.

eirebhoy
26/11/2004, 6:54 PM
Have you seen him a lot eirebhoy? I've never seen him in the flesh myself but everybody here seems to think he's a great player or has the ability to be....but how do we know though if he never plays for the 1st team?? A couple of subs appearances and an occasional loan doesn't really account for much given how old he is now.

I've seen reports myself on the Liverpool website saying when he's done well in a reserve game but reserve team football isn't a great gauge to be judged on.
He spent a season at Coventry and was a class above everyone else.

drinkfeckarse
26/11/2004, 7:01 PM
I didn't realise it was a full season, that's something I suppose. Going on the general concensus then he definately shouldn't even consider going near Rotherham but he has to get outta there quickly if he is to fulfill his potential.

4tothefloor
26/11/2004, 7:44 PM
He said himself he isn't going anywhere until Liverpool have played Spurs in the league cup, and should he play and Liverpool win, he'll probably stay on even longer.

It's no surprise that he didn't make the squad this week as he is an unknown quantity to Benitez. After the spurs game should be a better indication. Although a friend of mine in Liverpool has said that it is the fact that Partridge is so slight physically is what is really keeping him out. Not strong enough, apparantly...

Eirambler
26/11/2004, 7:57 PM
It's no surprise that he didn't make the squad this week as he is an unknown quantity to Benitez. After the spurs game should be a better indication.

Squad v Arsenal
Liverpool (from): Kirkland, Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Riise, Kewell, Gerrard, Hamann, Alonso, Warnock, Mellor, Sinama-Pongolle, Dudek, Biscan, Diao, Nunez, Whitbread, Potter, Welsh.

Right, but if Potter is getting in and Partridge isn't, thats saying something (other than that Potter is a good prospect for us).

Time to go somewhere else, any Championship/SPL team and a few Premiership teams should be delighted to get him. Thing is, its so long now since he was at Coventry that people have forgotton about him. He'll have to prove himself all over again. If it has to be Rotherham, so be it.

EamonD
26/11/2004, 9:01 PM
He spent a season at Coventry and was a class above everyone else.

Twas a tad under half a season and he faded badly towards the end after some early man-of-the-match awards, once teams realized what he could do they paid him a big more respect and neutralized him so they did.

eirebhoy
27/11/2004, 12:07 PM
Twas a tad under half a season and he faded badly towards the end after some early man-of-the-match awards, once teams realized what he could do they paid him a big more respect and neutralized him so they did.
From September 2002 to March 2003 playing 31 games. might aswell call it a season. :)

EamonD
27/11/2004, 5:11 PM
December 2002, McAllister then manger of Coventry:

'Come the end of the season when Richie has been out and experienced first team football I would imagine he won't want to go back and play for the reserves at Liverpool, so there is a player who wants first team experience and to play in front of a big crowd.'

The young winger has made a solitary appearance for Liverpool and said that if he cannot make Gerard Houllier's team, he would be happy to move to Highfield Road.

'It is every kid's dream to play in the Premiership and that's still where my dream lies, but outside of the top flight, Coventry would be my first choice every time so we will have to wait and see what happens,' he said.

Until this twit opens his eys we shouldn't waste any ink on the subject, his mammy should knock the snot out of him. He is just a hanger-on at Liverpool dreaming it is the '80s and that playing in the Liverpool reserves has a greater cache than playing football in a real league. He is the Walter Mitty of Liverpool reserves.

4tothefloor
27/11/2004, 8:08 PM
Squad v Arsenal
Liverpool (from): Kirkland, Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Riise, Kewell, Gerrard, Hamann, Alonso, Warnock, Mellor, Sinama-Pongolle, Dudek, Biscan, Diao, Nunez, Whitbread, Potter, Welsh.

Right, but if Potter is getting in and Partridge isn't, thats saying something (other than that Potter is a good prospect for us).

Yeah but Potter has played 4 or 5 times for the first team this year, Partridge has played 20 minutes. He's not going to get into a squad V Arsenal because of what he does in the reserves, or what he did 2 yrs ago at Coventry. To Benitez, Partridge has it all to prove. As I said, after the Spurs Lge Cup game he'll know where he stands.

That said, he is in a bit of a comfort zone in Liverpool. He's getting good wages to play reserve football for a big club, whose training facilities are among the best in europe. He is a popular person at the club, and is engaged to Michael Owens sister. You can see why he is in no rush to leave, so he does need a kick up the arse of some sorts.

eirebhoy
27/11/2004, 8:18 PM
Eamon, if he had the chance to make his move to Coventry permanent he would have taken it.

Slash/ED
27/11/2004, 8:40 PM
A move to the "Championship" is the best he'll do now. If he had of moved after his season on loan to Coventry he could have got a decent premiership club with some luck but now a half decent first division club would be a good move for him.

Donal81
29/11/2004, 10:17 AM
Well, he gets to be on telly tonight anyway...

How come? Sorry, don't follow the Pool.

b_mcsweeney
29/11/2004, 10:20 PM
to be fair to those slagging off richie, i think he would have left liverpool that time after he came back from coventry, only i don't think he's had more than a couple of months when he's been fit since then. he's had a real nightmare with injuries, rafa ben laden had said that he needed to prove his fitness (probably via a loan move) before being considered this season (he missed the first month and a half with injury), however he came on against the boro in the league cup, was involved in the first goal and generally had a storming 20 minutes. i think, as was mentioned earlier, hes looking to get a game vs spurs and see if he gets considered then. if not, he'll definitely look to move on.

Paris04
02/12/2004, 12:03 PM
UPDATE!

Richie scored his first goal for Liverpool last night - a penalty in the shoot out v Spurs. Potter missed his.

By the way, I met Richie at Melwood training ground about 2 and a half years ago - he had a fantastic little BMW convertible.

BTW, he's far more likely to get a chance with Rafa than he was with Houllier, although another loan spell is probably inevitable. He may also be tempted to stay on in the hope of getting a run out in the semis v Watford.

drinkfeckarse
02/12/2004, 12:38 PM
Fair enough he scored a penalty, but he only came on after 111 minutes. Doesn't look good if he's only getting 9 minutes as a sub in a Carling Cup game.

Time for a reality check now for him.......again :rolleyes:

eirebhoy
02/12/2004, 1:09 PM
BTW, he's far more likely to get a chance with Rafa than he was with Houllier, although another loan spell is probably inevitable. He may also be tempted to stay on in the hope of getting a run out in the semis v Watford.
I doubt Nunez will be playing against Watford so it could be a straight swap.

BTW, Partridge scored on his Liverpool debut against Bournemouth.

pete
02/12/2004, 1:23 PM
Partridge only good enough for bench in Liverpool 2nd team which considering all their injuries would probably mean he out of their top 20 squa players.

I don't much about him but he no kid at 24 anymore & assuming he out of contract at end of season has zero chance of renewal. A move to rotherham could mean League 2 football next season. He doesn't even have enough track record to guarantee place at top eL club.

4tothefloor
02/12/2004, 1:35 PM
He'll probably stay on now to play in the semis - it's a two leg tie, plus they have every chance of making it to the final judging by their performances so far in the competition. That's not to say that he will start the games, although you would expect by then that Nunez will be fully fit and a first team player. Then again, Benitez could field a full strength side in the first leg to try and put the tie beyond Watford early on.

Would fear for Partridge at this stage though

eirebhoy
02/12/2004, 2:51 PM
Would fear for Partridge at this stage though
I'm not too worried. I'd say a year of football in any division would secure him a premiership team. He's that good IMO.

Slash/ED
02/12/2004, 2:52 PM
I'm not too worried. I'd say a year of football in any division would secure him a premiership team. He's that good IMO.

Or he was, anyway. A medium term injury like he had and crucial development time spent in the reserves, both since his loan at Coventry, could mean he's not the player he was or could have been, which is why he's barley featured this season despite a new manager coming in. I hope not, but I've not seen him since the Coventry season, we don't know if he can consistently re produce that form again.

Bowsy
02/12/2004, 2:58 PM

I'd agree with that. If Rafa arrived 2 years ago might have been different but judging by reports there has never been any dip in his reserve team performances and he'll be good enough to make the top if he cops himself on now.

Irish_Praha
02/12/2004, 6:24 PM
Not a snowball's chance in hell. I dont really rate him he's too unpredictable. He's playing his ass of in the reserves coz he wants to get into the 1st team squad. If he moves to a smaller team where he gets his game he'll get into the comfort zone and start playing ****e. That's exactly what happened at Coventry he had a flying start coz he was delighted to be getting first team football but after about 10 or 15 games his performances were average to poor.

livehead1
11/12/2004, 6:34 PM
he won player of the season at coventry!!!!