PDA

View Full Version : Lovely new home site for Blues & Corpo hold ace card!

kilkennycat2004
26/11/2004, 1:20 PM
Looking at this week's Munster Express if Waterford Crystal want to offload this facility & the corporation decide to keep at least some of it as a sports site rather than yet another 100% housing/commercial development wouldn't it make a super home for Waterford United a.f.c.

Waterford Crystal may sell part of Sports Centre land
by John O'Connor
O ne of a number of items on the agenda for a planning meeting of Waterford City Council, due to take place today (Wednesday), concerns the possible rezoning of part or all of the land surrounding the Waterford Crystal Sports Centre at Ballinaneesagh.

The Munster Express understands the company is seeking have approximately 22 acres at the complex rezoned so that, if offered for sale, it could realise a figure in excess of €20m. The proposal does not affect the building complex itself.

Waterford Wedgwood is known to be actively investigating what are termed as `under-performing assets' within the group with a view to turning them into income earning assets.

Management has verbally informed the unions of its intentions but has not done so in writing. The Munster Express understands that, when and if that occurs, the unions will seek the views of their members. However, the unions are believed to be of the firm view that, should part or all of the Waterford Crystal Sports Centre land be sold, the proceeds should be reinvested in Waterford Crystal.

crystalclear
26/11/2004, 8:44 PM
I think the reason Waterford Crystal are thinking about selling it is they need money and quick.You could probably buy it now for about €2-€3 million but if they get it rezoned for building it could be worth up to €20 million.Waterford Utd could never afford the €2 million never mind the €20 million.

A face
27/11/2004, 1:28 AM
You could probably buy it now for about €2-€3 million

If even that low .... and look where it is !! That is a fairly big site lads !!

kilkennycat2004
27/11/2004, 9:50 AM
I think the reason Waterford Crystal are thinking about selling it is they need money and quick.You could probably buy it now for about €2-€3 million but if they get it rezoned for building it could be worth up to €20 million.Waterford Utd could never afford the €2 million never mind the €20 million.

If it became a condition of rezoning that a section of the land be sold to the corporation at a reasonable price for the purpose of keeping professional soccer alive in Waterford.
No different to the arts surely.
That's how things work in business isn't it. You scratch my back etc..........

CollegeTillIDie
27/11/2004, 3:21 PM
If it became a condition of rezoning that a section of the land be sold to the corporation at a reasonable price for the purpose of keeping professional soccer alive in Waterford.
No different to the arts surely.
That's how things work in business isn't it. You scratch my back etc..........

As I understand it the RSC is owned by the Corporation/City Council. And they needed United in their as their anchor tenant back in 1993 in order to complete the building of the main stand etc with its attendant facilities.
If the Waterford Crystal Sports Centre land, ( nice pitches incidentally) was sold to the corporation in trust or on behalf of WUFC, would the Corporation not be cutting it's nose off to spite it's face?
I ask as a shareholder in the PLC and someone who wishes the club well that is all. Would like to see the club get either a home of its own or for the RSC to be developed into a real football stadium with a stand on the opposite side to the Cork Road Stand, and for long term security for them there. Maybe with the provision of permission to have a clubhouse onsite etc.

A face
29/11/2004, 12:26 AM
for the RSC to be developed into a real football stadium with a stand on the opposite side to the Cork Road Stand, and for long term security for them there. Maybe with the provision of permission to have a clubhouse onsite etc.

The RSC, while it has a great stand ... it is not good enough for the Blues to be honest in that, that running track will be a huge disadvantage in trying to build atmosphere for the club over the years.
They need to be able to develop the ground the way they want/need it, that wont happen at the RSC because of the athletics (which is fair enough) So they best option would be to move. The council must understand that, Waterford aren't just going to stand still.
I just hope this thing does drag on for ages, the blues need to be getting busy with developing a new ground, not messing about.

kilkennycat2004
29/11/2004, 2:00 PM
At present the Blues have about one hour post kick-off to get everything sorted & be out of the RSC. What kind of a facility is that.
The atmosphere is dire. In recent years we've had cup semi finals v Shels & Longford & even then it was a struggle to generate the kind of support which lifts a team.
Guessing here but I would say over the last 4 seasons our away results wouldn't be that far behind the home ones. That says it all.
Different situation 30 miles up the road in my native county.
Waterford Utd - good team - no facilities
Kilkenny City - good facilities - no team

eoinh
29/11/2004, 2:16 PM
You traitor! How can you not support a team from your native county and instead support that shower.

Ild rather be dragged naked through the streets of dungarvan than support waterford utd.

noby
29/11/2004, 2:17 PM
Guessing here but I would say over the last 4 seasons our away results wouldn't be that far behind the home ones. That says it all.

This season we got 25 points at home, 25 points away from home. But then half the teams in the league, including Cork, Bohs & Drogs collected more points on the road, so I don't know if that arguement holds water. I do agree though it is a crappy ground, and a more suitable ground, with a better atmosphere couldn't be a bad thing. But how realistic is it?

ConfusedBlue
29/11/2004, 3:32 PM
There was talk a while back of the club being offered a site(10 acres?) at a cut-price €600k out near Carriganore (where the WIT are building a new facility and the new road is going).Apparently it was to incorporate a new ground,restaurant,bar and possibly a leisure complex.Haven't heard anthing about it since,anybody know anything about it?

Bluebeard
03/12/2004, 10:11 AM
Ild rather be dragged naked through the streets of dungarvan than support waterford utd.

I hear rumours that the good people of Dungarvan are now considering buying you a life ticket to all Cork City games at the Cross, rather than leave you have to make that choice...

jimhacker
06/12/2004, 12:28 PM
You traitor! How can you not support a team from your native county and instead support that shower.

Worse things could happen to you - you might even enjoy it!

And it would brighten up those dreary streets no end!

Partizan
07/12/2004, 10:26 PM
I'm sure we can arrange a herd of woolly livestock to be paraded at the X for the sexual gratification of the Fat Pack assembled in the Shed.

Now how about that for brightening up your day.

CollegeTillIDie
07/12/2004, 10:43 PM
I'm sure we can arrange a herd of woolly livestock to be paraded at the X for the sexual gratification of the Fat Pack assembled in the Shed.

are they Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad for that Leeside ? :D

eoinh
08/12/2004, 9:53 AM

Well after living in waterford for six years i can tell you a herd of wooly livestock would be the best looking thing ive seen since ive arrived.

Dont be baaaaaaaaashfull darling.

CollegeTillIDie
08/12/2004, 7:11 PM
Eoinh

You live in Dungarvan , not Waterford City. Need to check out the talent in Blaaville boy ;)