PDA

View Full Version : Galway United now run by Salthill Devon

A face
26/11/2004, 12:30 AM
Galway United now run by Salthill Devon

In news that is set to rattle the supporters of Galway United, the club have this afternoon released a statement declaring "Salthill Devon has assumed ownership and operational control of Galway United with immediate effect".

The entire press release reads :
"The Board of Galway United has undertaken a strategic review of the way forward for the Club.
Positive developments over the last number of years have included:
• Stabilising the day to day operations
• Attaining the FAI/UEFA Licence
• Attracting key sponsors
• Creating harmony among stakeholders

Read more at www.irishfootballonline.com (http://www.irishfootballonline.com/news_story.php?newsid=2385)

Terry
26/11/2004, 7:47 AM
can see much of a difference than what has been there since 2001.

the only bad thing is that this roots tony mannion into the managers job, B*LLOX :(

galwaygirl
29/11/2004, 2:21 PM
In news that is set to rattle the supporters of Galway United,[/URL]

I think "rattle" could be putting it mildly :eek:

galwaygirl
29/11/2004, 2:23 PM
anyone hear anything about a name change?? :confused:
i heard yesterday that it wont be changed next season anyway?

Patrick Dunne
29/11/2004, 2:34 PM
.. for the "immediate" future is what I heard yesterday, from someone in a pub.

The new board will keep those players on two year contracts. There are 5.
I know some of them, will find out the full list today off a "source" and post later. The rest will be offered drastically reduced wages, and as a result, many probably will leave. I can't see the Athlone contingent remaining (none of them are under contract), unless they love the club to bits :rolleyes:

The departure of Damien Dupuy must now be a certainty.

Terry
29/11/2004, 2:43 PM
anyone hear anything about a name change?? :confused:
i heard yesterday that it wont be changed next season anyway?

It said on the city tribune that the name was going to be changed, I was told, as I didn't see the paper myself. But, when it didn't say! I heard a possibility of galway devon?

To me, if the galway name is lost, they can say good luck to every single supporter and there money, as people support the galway name and not salthill.

yur man
29/11/2004, 3:10 PM
Galway Devon sounds terrible. it sounds like a flavour of ambrosia custard

if they want to be an eircom league club and their fans too, then they should accept the Galway United name IMO

Patrick Dunne
29/11/2004, 3:11 PM
The journalist came up with "Galway Devon", which would be completely stupid. Salthill Devon was formed in the seventies, when a Salthill team joined up with a team from Devon Park. At no stage was the idea of a name change officially mentioned, although you can be sure it was discussed.

As regards contracts, there are actually six players on a two-year contract -

Nicky Curran
Alan Gough
Derek O'Brien
Ryan Casey
John Russell
David O'Dowd

The rest are all free agents at the moment.

Terry
29/11/2004, 3:33 PM
I can tell you for certain that quirkey and keady are also. Of coarse that is once there contracts weren't thrown out the window with the change???

How did o'brien get a 2 year and not half of the team that was starting last season :confused: thats worse than signing gorman back :)

Patrick Dunne
29/11/2004, 3:41 PM
Mike Quirke's father told me he was under contract as well, even though my source doesn't think so. I then take it that you are correct, Terry. I'm not always right :D

The contracts are all legally binding, and it is the same company. Different if
it was being wound up.

Mixie Harty's father told me that the boy was unhappy with the situation, and may leave :( .

Terry
29/11/2004, 3:50 PM
Mike Quirke's father told me he was under contract as well, even though my source doesn't think so. I then take it that you are correct, Terry. I'm not always right :D

The contracts are all legally binding, and it is the same company. Different if
it was being wound up.

Mixie Harty's father told me that the boy was unhappy with the situation, and may leave :( .

The lads told me last weekend that they signed 2 year contracts at the start of last season. It would be a serious loss if mixie was to leave, probably the most commited player this season and the only real pioneer on the team. Maybe thats why they wont sign him, because he is not an alcoholic?? :D

galwaygirl
29/11/2004, 3:54 PM
well Mixie just told me his Contract was up alrite but he's waiting to sign a new one :confused:

galwaygirl
29/11/2004, 3:55 PM
the only real pioneer on the team. Maybe thats why they wont sign him, because he is not an alcoholic?? :D
Hey take it easy Terry, if he's sees stuff like that on this forum about him, he mite start :D :D

galwaygirl
29/11/2004, 3:58 PM
thats worse than signing gorman back :)

Now that's well below the belt Terry :mad:

Terry
29/11/2004, 4:04 PM
Now that's well below the belt Terry :mad:

put it in there for the sligo lads that will be reading this.

A face
29/11/2004, 9:12 PM
Alright lads ... Galway fans must have t olow down on all this ... out with it ... whats going on ??

Guitd
29/11/2004, 11:01 PM
THE VERY LATEST FROM A WELL INFORMED SOURCE THAT THERE WILL BE NO NAME CHANGE --GALWAY UNITED WILL REMAIN THE CLUB NAME BUT THE PLAYERS CONTRACTS WILL CHANGE AND ALL PLAYERS WILL HAVE TO RESIDE IN GALWAY AND WILL ONLY BE PAID WHEN THEY PLAY ON FIRST TEAM PER GAME-------CANT SEE MANY NEW PLAYERS AGREEABLE TO THAT---BUT THIS IS GOOD PROGRESSION FOR THE CLUB AS IT BRINGS STABLITY AND QUALITY ORGANIZATION FOR THE FUTURE-
:ball:

observer
30/11/2004, 11:01 AM
The requirement for players to reside in galway will be easily met as no outside player will sign up if they are only paid on a match played basis.
I reckon your source is winding you up. If not enjoy the lower regions of division one for the foreseeable future.

Terry
30/11/2004, 11:06 AM
enjoy the lower regions of division one for the foreseeable future.

Agreed, we could be taking limericks place for next season :(

Patrick Dunne
30/11/2004, 11:17 AM
Only a fool would call midtable mediocrity "stability". Longford and Drogheda, Finn Harps and UCD enjoy stability.

We have a catchment area of 250,000 +, a footballing heritage, no competitors, and you call finishing 9th/10th in the First Divsion stability.

As they say in France - "My hole !"

This is PR guff from those pompous, egotistical blowbags at Drum.

What have they ever won, even at junior level ?

Our club is dying. I would even prefer if Sligo Rovers had taken it over. At least they are real football people.

PS On second thoughts, an ex-assistant press officer as manager. Er ..... no thanks.

galwaygirl
30/11/2004, 11:18 AM
Alright lads ... Galway fans must have t olow down on all this ... out with it ... whats going on ??

A face, we only know as much about it as everyone else on this site. The Press Release came out last thurs and was put on our official website. That's the first most of us heard about it. We're have a Supporters Forum on Thursday nite, so after that things should be alot clearer to us on what's happening our club. Until then i'm not going to believe the information being
posted on here from "reliable sources".

No offence lads.

Terry
30/11/2004, 11:34 AM
I take it you'll be going to the forum Galwaygirl?