PDA

View Full Version : GAA Computer game

Pages : [1] 2

Poor Student
25/11/2004, 9:24 PM
I remember reading a couple of years ago there were two GAA computer games being made, one with the backing of the GPA and one not. Anyone know anything about this? Did these projects die or are they still working on it?

eamoss
25/11/2004, 9:42 PM
They needed a grant to finish them :D

Dont know what happened to them, it was some oz company making them?

Poor Student
25/11/2004, 9:44 PM
:D

That rings a bell, one of them was being developed by some Aussies who made an Aussie rules game I think.

Aberdonian Stu
26/11/2004, 12:31 PM
The Aussie one had GAA backing, was announced around the time of last year's international rules game, the same time as the GPA backed Irish made one. One was for Xbox and the other for PS2 but I don't know which game was for which console. Haven't heard anything lately. But from a marketing perspective it doesn't take a genius to work out that there isn't a big enough market for two, as admitted by the GPA but not commented (if memory serves me correctly) by the GAA. The market could barely take one. While we famously had the highest PS1/PSX (whatever they call it these days) per capita average outside of Japan the potential for a game to thrive solely on sales in a small country, even if it did exceedingly well, is limited. The GAA backed one would use the same engine as an Aussie Rules game, which is reportedly good but that is just according to the GAA so heaven knows. Little, if anything has been said about either project since November 2003.

Pablo
26/11/2004, 5:20 PM
Lads keep the bad language to a minimum. GAA is a dirty word ;)

Eirambler
27/11/2004, 7:33 PM
Looks like its going to happen next year

From irgurus.com

Gaelic Football 2005

For the first time ever exclusively on the PlayStation®2, take to the field in this fully licensed GAA Gaelic Football challenge. Experience the skill and excitement of one of the world’s oldest games as you battle for victory with your favourite County teams.

Kick it over the crossbar for Kerry, or score a goal in the net for Dublin. Whoever you support they’re all here. Hours of action packed gaming as you fight your way through to the finals!

Game Features:

All 32 County Teams (plus London & New York) in the Latest Strips
Realistic On-Field Play
Full Match & Player Statistics
Stunning Croke Park & Various County Grounds
Live Commentary From Ireland’s Leading Gaelic Football Media Personalities
League, Provincial & All Ireland Championships
Real Time Lighting & Shadows on Players
Gaelic & English Languages
Decals (Mud, Bandages) Appearing On Players Throughout The Match
Superb 3D Graphics & Motion Capture Animations
Coming exclusively to the PlayStation®2 in Mid – 2005

Wonder who the commentators are. Hopefully not Marty bloody Morrissey anyway! Or Spillane!!! :mad:

TheJamaicanP.M.
28/11/2004, 11:04 AM
Lads keep the bad language to a minimum. GAA is a dirty word ;)

Yea Im disgusted to see that name on this site. :mad:
I heard this time last year that Frank McNamee, former Longford footballer, was putting together the unofficial GAA game. He had been working on the project long before the GAA considered releasing their own game. Then the GAA blocked him from releasing his game. Now it would appear that the GAA have failed to get their project off the ground. Sums them up perfectly. Next thing the fcukers will be looking for a grant from the government to make their game.

Flea
28/11/2004, 3:25 PM
one of the world’s oldest games

Is that a p1ss take by the game company to sell it. Let me see all of the olympics sports, must be nearly 20, then soccer, rugby... and God knows how many more :rolleyes: -really pathetic

liam88
01/12/2004, 6:20 PM
Sounds well good! Just wish i has a PS2 now :(
Aw well ma mate has an Xbox so I know his Christmas present for next year..... :D

GAAAAAAAA! ;) Love 'em!

GalwayFrancis
01/12/2004, 9:10 PM
kinda scary -
types 'gaa computer game' into google and it came up with a page from
the sdlp.ie website :

SDLP YOUTH WELCOME FIRST EVER GAA PLAYSTATION GAME

SDLP Youth have expressed their excitement as pictures are released of
the first-ever GAA Playstation game.

Chairperson of Newry and Armagh SDLP Youth Sharon Haughey said,
“Gaels across the Island of Ireland will wait with great anticipation for
this first-ever GAA Playstation game, tipped to be released in 2005. Of
course no computer game will ever be as good as the real thing but I’m
sure it will bring many hours of fun and excitement to Gaels across the
world.

“The magic of Gaelic games is instilled in so many Irish hearts, young and
old alike and this news just goes to show how far the GAA has come - in
this world of e-technology the GAA is now set to compete with all other
top sports."

Taken from the IRGurus Interactive[makers of the game] website:

:ball: Gaelic Football 2005 :ball:

For the first time ever exclusively on the PlayStation®2, take to the field
in this fully licensed GAA Gaelic Football challenge. Experience the skill and
excitement of one of the world’s oldest games as you battle for victory
with your favourite County teams.

Kick it over the crossbar for Kerry, or score a goal in the net for Dublin.
Whoever you support they’re all here. Hours of action packed gaming as
you fight your way through to the finals!

Game Features:

All 32 County Teams (plus London & New York) in the Latest Strips
Realistic On-Field Play
Full Match & Player Statistics
Stunning Croke Park & Various County Grounds
Live Commentary From Ireland’s Leading Gaelic Football Media Personalities
League, Provincial & All Ireland Championships
Real Time Lighting & Shadows on Players
Gaelic & English Languages
Decals (Mud, Bandages) Appearing On Players Throughout The Match
Superb 3D Graphics & Motion Capture Animations
Coming exclusively to the PlayStation®2 in Mid – 2005

Aberdonian Stu
03/12/2004, 3:13 PM
Kick it over the crossbar for Kerry, or score a goal in the net for Dublin.
Whoever you support they’re all here. Hours of action packed gaming as
you fight your way through to the finals!

Just a tad cheesy

Flea
04/12/2004, 7:35 PM
GAAAAAAAA! ;) Love 'em!yeah so do I :rolleyes:

dublinred
04/12/2004, 8:08 PM
Bet every game ends in a draw.

Sonic
04/12/2004, 9:09 PM
better be an option in games for a replay and loads and loads of handbags :)

jofyisgod
05/12/2004, 10:33 AM
or score a goal in the net for Dublin.

Where else are you gonna score a goal other than the fcuking net? :confused:

Sounds good enough, but its a shame they can't hurling. It'd be savage on the controller i know, but i was discussing this last year with some people and we came up with quite a good system. Obviously running with the sliotar and hurley would be default-ie/ you would have no real control over what you did with it, like dribbling in PES, etc. Shooting could also be done via a kind of power up using a button, and directed by one of the analogue sticks.

Hard to think about i know, but if anyone else has any other ideas, please add.

yur man
05/12/2004, 9:01 PM
i read that they are having fierce trouble with the game though, which is the reason for the delay

apparently, the people making the game cant get dublin to win

theyre thinking of releasing it anyway as they are trying to make it realistic ;)

blobbyblob
06/12/2004, 2:17 PM
i read that they are having fierce trouble with the game though, which is the reason for the delay

apparently, the people making the game cant get dublin to win

theyre thinking of releasing it anyway as they are trying to make it realistic ;)

Wonder will you be able to have a 30 man brawl and lock the ref in the boot of his car.

Flea
06/12/2004, 3:27 PM
Wonder will you be able to have a 30 man brawl and lock the ref in the boot of his car.
Well said, they probably will need to have it 18's otherwise omitting such features would be unrealistic ;)

dublinred
06/12/2004, 3:44 PM
They will need special features such as 12 minutes injury time and blood subsitutes if one of your players gets too much handbags , also need options for elbows to soften your opponent and jersey pulling.

Schumi
06/12/2004, 3:48 PM
I presume there'll be a random chance that you'll get a point if the ball goes wide.

piratemousey
19/12/2004, 12:30 PM
id say itll only be a step up from 'pong' 30 white lines and a small ball on the screen.

JamesB
30/09/2005, 12:39 PM
It will be out November 11th
developer site with details
http://www.irgurus.com/FRM_games.htm

and not a bad little tv ad
http://x200.putfile.com/videos/a1-27107223074.mpg

Poor Student
30/09/2005, 2:10 PM
Bit late isn't it? All the All Ireland hype is over.

Réiteoir
30/09/2005, 2:19 PM
Full commentary from the legendary Micheál Ó Muirchearthaigh.

\o/

paul_oshea
30/09/2005, 2:57 PM
nah it will sell very well for xmas, given the catchment that it is going to have. just mentioned it to a few lads and they are mad to get it.

but what is average ps2 going to sell like? i cant see irgurus making much money or making a second version for that matter...

tetsujin1979
30/09/2005, 3:28 PM
With the PS3 imminent it's a little odd they didn't wait for that.

paul_oshea
30/09/2005, 3:39 PM
surely you can play ps2 gamse on a ps3 i.e. backward compatible?

Réiteoir
30/09/2005, 3:45 PM
Apparently they've put in another feature - where the crowd accuse each other of not being "Proper Irish"

crc
30/09/2005, 4:19 PM
Apparently they've put in another feature - where the crowd accuse each other of not being "Proper Irish"
:D :D :D

Réiteoir
30/09/2005, 4:30 PM
best thing is - I was actually there to witness this whole saga unfolding on a grass verge at Ruislip

:D

thejollyrodger
01/10/2005, 6:02 PM
The game is a bit late IMO. The PS3 will be out soon and no one will be bothering with an obsolete platform. Better luck next time lads

The Stars
02/10/2005, 2:16 PM
I heard that not many real players are on it?

paul_oshea
03/10/2005, 8:30 AM
best thing is - I was actually there to witness this whole saga unfolding on a grass verge at Ruislip

LOL, as was i. very very good, up the rossies. if its backward compatible which is say it is, it doesnt matter a wolly what it comes out on.

finlma
03/10/2005, 8:35 AM
.........the world’s oldest games as you battle for victory with your favourite County teams.

Not with Kilkenny I bet :(

We'll have to wait for the hurling version.

anto1208
03/10/2005, 9:21 AM
they have it in there up coming releases section in game now , it looks rubbish , same guys that made an aussie rules game , that i havent played but haev heard is terrible .

carrickharp
05/10/2005, 9:50 AM
Pre order here (http://www.thegaastore.com/view_product.asp?cat1=Books+Videos+and+DVD&cat2=Games&id=746#)

gustavo
11/10/2005, 7:46 PM
the box the game comes with is in xtravision and you can pre book it now

Ash
18/10/2005, 9:58 AM
Press triangle button for Westmeath to bottle it :o
Press square to go on the beer the night before a match
Press circle to call your supporters "animals"

Lionel Ritchie
18/10/2005, 10:07 AM
Experience the skill and
excitement of one of the world’s oldest games as you battle for victory
with your favourite County teams

:eek: Queens Park Rangers are the same age as Gaelic football ffs.:D

I like the way Eamonn McCann said it best "Gaelic Football is a traditional Irish game to about the same extent that The Corrs play traditional Irish music."

gustavo
19/10/2005, 5:00 PM
square = sligo beat roscommon then lose to mayo
circle = sligo beat mayo then lose to roscommon
triangle = sligo lose to galway (every time:()

brendy_éire
26/10/2005, 11:13 AM
Cheaper at http://www.sendit.com/game/item/6000000002479

paul_oshea
26/10/2005, 12:14 PM
square = sligo beat roscommon then lose to mayo

when did that happen>? the first part that is.

gustavo
26/10/2005, 12:21 PM
anyway i meant it as a term we can beat one of the other teams in one year but not both usually how it goes.

oconghc2
26/10/2005, 12:28 PM
Press triangle button for Westmeath to bottle it :o
Press square to go on the beer the night before a match
Press circle to call your supporters "animals"

would be more accurate if you changed Westmeath with Irish Soccer team!!

most intercounty players would stay off the drink for months leading up to championship!

animals?? suppose we have treated Brian Kerr pretty bad!!!

Countyman
03/11/2005, 2:51 PM
did you notice the screenshots in the paper this week with Mayo playing Kerry and it had a Mayo player blasting the ball past his own keeper!!!

Very worrying...although it is Mayo I suppose.

feo123
03/11/2005, 3:02 PM
It will probably have the real players from the likes of Armagh, Tyrone, Dublin, Kerry and 1or2 more.....definately wont have all the real players! i'm sure you will be able to edit in whatever players you want though

aidz1
09/11/2005, 9:28 AM
seen an advert for it on a friends pc.
it was a good ad, though it showed feck all of the game itself!!
i'm not expecting it to be great, though it'll probably sell by the lorry load due to the novelty aspect of it

shedite
12/11/2005, 9:59 PM
Absolutely the worst game I have ever played. It's on a par with fifa's from about 97-98 in terms of graphics.

Game play is totally unrealistic too. They've copied aussie rules and didn't bother to change some of the rules. Subs come on and off during play, and ther's a dodgy advantage rule too which I've never seen in gaelic.

No players exist. For names they are simply "p1" up to "P30" for each team. Shooting is rubbish and keepers run away from the ball if it lands in the box.

Basically, looks like marketing people decided that it MUST be finished for christmas so they've sent out a below standard version. Commentry has about 10 sayings which gets VERY repetitive.

Only good thing is the jerseys and stadiums which are perfect except for the fact that every pitch is about 3 times wider than normal.

Avoid this game at ALL costs!!!

Ruairi
13/11/2005, 10:37 AM
^^

you're just bitter over who's doing the commentary :)

I've heard it's sh!te altogether alright.. and TBH it was an absolute PR disaster not to have the GPA on board..

Poor Student
13/11/2005, 2:43 PM
Shedite has said it all really. It's completely crap. Goals are easier to score than points. I actually kept a clean sheet against my brother. Graphics are below par, though they have put a good effort into replicating stadiums. Gameplay is just really really bad. As I said, hard to kick points, tackling is ridiculous (you hold down on O while harassing a player for several seconds, hear a ridiculous sounding thud, followed by a more ridiculous grunt and the ball falls in some random direction). Control response is slow and it's impossible to hand pass fluidly. One small nice touch is that encroaching on a free kick wins you an extra ten yards and mentioned earlier, the stadiums. Poor game. Perhaps this is a starting point to good things though. A platform now exists to build a better game on. The first ISS/Pro Evo game on the Playstation was similarly awful. Either it'll gradually improve or disappear. Given there's no real players they cannot simply sell player update sequels. Any sequel will have to show a tangible improvement to gameplay.