PDA

View Full Version : Drogheda's Progress....

RedX
24/11/2004, 11:22 PM
Its great to see clubs outside of Dublin progressing for the good of the league..Cork City FC and Drogs are the two serious contenders at the moment but within a few seasons i can see other clubs progressing along with us mostly because of the success in Europe last season by City and $hels..i think a lot of people took notice this year because of the great Euro results and also the close fought ending in the league..

Getting to Drogs there is one thing i cannot understand about the club..they have had a good season and are moving along very well and all of a sudden they go out and sign DAN CONNOR from Waterford..this is a very strange decision..surely clubs do there homework on players attitudes and not just there capabilities?..this guy is a troublemaker and will be Drogs downfall next season bigtime..he has had trouble with numerous clubs up and down the country this season so why would such a progressive club want to heap all this misery on themselves??.. :confused:

patsh
25/11/2004, 8:03 AM
On top of that, he is not a particularly good keeper either.....:rolleyes:

Macy
25/11/2004, 8:15 AM
surely clubs do there homework on players attitudes and not just there capabilities?..this guy is a troublemaker and will be Drogs downfall next season bigtime..
Some would say the same about Doolin, so is it really that much of a surprise? :confused:

Gary
25/11/2004, 8:17 AM
..surely clubs do there homework on players attitudes and not just there capabilities?..

By all accounts Paul Doolin is a hard ass, and doesn't suffer fools easily, so there is a good chance that Connor will be whipped into shape in double quick time.

What I'd like to know about Drogs is where are they getting the money? They must have some serious backing.

paudie
25/11/2004, 10:11 AM
What I'd like to know about Drogs is where are they getting the money? They must have some serious backing.

Was thinking that myself. Their crowds this year haven't gone up that much apparently and they lost the O2 sponsorship so if anything they should have less money.

jfogarty
25/11/2004, 10:28 AM
they signed Shane Robinson last night. Great signing

ColinR
25/11/2004, 10:32 AM
Was thinking that myself. Their crowds this year haven't gone up that much apparently and they lost the O2 sponsorship so if anything they should have less money.

crowds are up prob only aroung 100/150 per game on average (despite what the attendances thread says - last years is wrong), but of course our prices did rise :rolleyes:

apparently there is a sponsor on board for next year of a similar nature to O2. apart from that, fundraising events seem to have increased by a large extent, and a very succesful season (properly mounting a title challenge) could see our average crowd realistically be around 1900 or 2000 rather than 1550 this year. but we got a lot of money from a cup run that included 3 replays with big crowds, its very unlikely that will be repeated in the same scale! also,weekly bingo seems to be doing very well for the club, a few €K a week apparently.

but at the end of it my sums still dont add up :confused: but the board appear very confident about our prospects, and having talked with them before, they are very level headed and do not appear to be reckless when it comes to budgeting. and at the end of the day its their money

patsh
25/11/2004, 11:31 AM
but the board appear very confident about our prospects, and having talked with them before, they are very level headed and do not appear to be reckless when it comes to budgeting. and at the end of the day its their moneyStill for a club that almost went bust a couple of times in the last 15 years, and were in a bad way just a few seasons ago, it's an amazing turn around. Can the club sustain the level of spending by Doolin?
The players he is signing are not coming too cheaply.....

Drogman.
25/11/2004, 12:02 PM
Indeed these players are not cheap, but from speaking to a member of the board a few months ago, they have a level head as Colin says.
They put in place a 3 year plan, I think it was, and the season just gone has been a major surprise. The club has exceeded all expectations on the field by all accounts and we are 1 year ahead of the plan.

A number of sponsors are lined up for next season, I have been told of one in particular that will be the main club sponsor but cannot say anything as yet. And as Colin said the club has introduced a number of different events for fundraising including the new scratch card which is sold throughout the north east.

All in all its looking good but as with everything in this league I'm not holding my breath and next season will tell alot.

CollegeTillIDie
25/11/2004, 7:21 PM
apparently there is a sponsor on board for next year of a similar nature to O2. apart from that, fundraising events seem to have increased by a large extent, and a very succesful season (properly mounting a title challenge) could see our average crowd realistically be around 1900 or 2000 rather than 1550 this year. but we got a lot of money from a cup run that included 3 replays with big crowds, its very unlikely that will be repeated in the same scale! also,weekly bingo seems to be doing very well for the club, a few €K a week apparently.
Does that mean we get to call it United Park Again?

Slash/ED
25/11/2004, 7:47 PM

Don't forget the crowds are paying alot more to get in now, that makes a big big difference, it's as good as a very big increase in attendences.

Hawkins said they're offering big money for players last night on TV3, if they can afford it and get a few more players in they'll be a good team next year. Webb will be an absoultey superb signing, it will sound incredibley greedy, but I'm gutted Shels missed out on him, he's the best left back in the league easily imo.

BrayUnknowns
26/11/2004, 12:02 PM
It's good for the league, but as someone said - Where's the money coming from? hope it does'nt go belly up on them or there screwed

pete
01/12/2004, 1:37 PM
Its good to see more clubs outside Dublin make a better go of things but can't any possibility that Drogs are breaking even. From my limited knowledge Drogs may be almost fulltime on the pitch but i'm sure not have fulltime admin & commercial setup & crowds while doing ok don't show signs of increasing dramatically.