PDA

View Full Version : Gartland Gone

Pages : [1] 2

Macy
24/11/2004, 11:45 AM
According to a post on the drogs message board. :(

max power
24/11/2004, 11:48 AM
well now that its posted somewhere else, yes he is.....pity, but we shall move on.

Longfordian
24/11/2004, 12:15 PM
Yep he's gone alright, off to Drogland, $$ signs in his eyes, we'll cope without him. Especially if we can bring in another good defender we have supposedly lined up

Macy
24/11/2004, 12:30 PM
Hmmm pity it wasn't on here first though... ;)

Longfordian
24/11/2004, 12:42 PM
Fair enough, may as well say we're in talks with two Drogs players and there's a pretty good chance of getting them apparently..one used to play not too far away and it looks likely he'll be with us next year, barring a u-turn.

max power
24/11/2004, 1:11 PM
told ya macy :D

Macy
24/11/2004, 1:15 PM
Fair enough, may as well say we're in talks with two Drogs players and there's a pretty good chance of getting them apparently..one used to play not too far away and it looks likely he'll be with us next year, barring a u-turn.
It was only a slight dig..... :)

Dillo
24/11/2004, 6:05 PM
Shame to see Garto gone. Wish him all the best in Drogland. He'll need it! He was developing into a top player with us. Wouldn't mind seeing 'Athlone Reject' Anthony Myler up front for us though :D . Could do a decent job. Coming to Longford would be a major step up for him.

Longfordian
24/11/2004, 7:49 PM
'Anthony Myler', Come on now Dillo, you that usually takes such care to be perfect in all things..

Dillo
24/11/2004, 9:04 PM
'Anthony Myler', Come on now Dillo, you that usually takes such care to be perfect in all things..

Was taking the urine there Longfordian! ;)

Longfordian
24/11/2004, 9:06 PM
No need to be embarrassed Dillo, it can happen to us all.. ;) ..takes a big man to admit he made a mistake!

Dillo
24/11/2004, 9:08 PM
No need to be embarrassed Dillo, it can happen to us all.. ;) ..takes a big man to admit he made a mistake!

Ah go away outa that young Corcoran! :D

Longfordian
24/11/2004, 9:12 PM
Finally outed as Milo Corcoran..oh the shame.. :D ..you're close Dillo but not quite there

Macy
25/11/2004, 7:08 AM
you're close Dillo but not quite there
to the name or to the player? :p

Pauro 76
25/11/2004, 7:26 AM
Garto gone? And he's taken all Section O's sponsorship cash with him and all and gone to Dwogs! ;) Seriously, im gutted he's gone, a character and an excellent player. We'll definitely miss him. Best of luck Garto.... just think of all the trophies your leaving behind....

Longfordian
25/11/2004, 11:23 AM
to the name or to the player? :p

Well he has the right player in mind..

Longfordian
25/11/2004, 3:39 PM
Heard some more on Garto's departure today, it would seem he's going around telling people (Journos in particular) porkies about how he wasn't offered a proper contract by Longford, and how much he would have loved to have stayed but the club weren't treating him well, so I was asked to put forward the club's side of the story..Garto was negotiating a new contract with Alan, he asked for x amount per week which Alan felt was on the high side, but having thought about it decided he wanted to keep Garto so agreed to give him slightly more even than he had originally demanded. Bear in mind, he was already on decent money for a relatively unknown 21 year old defender.

Garto then went to Drogheda and used this figure to negotiate a better offer for himself and then returned and said to Alan, I now want x+50 or whatever, another good jump..Basically the club and Alan felt he showed no loyalty to the manager and club who rescued his career from being stuck getting €50 a week in Pats' U21s and took him to Europe even though he was injured to give him experience, the only injured player to be brought and stuck with him and developed him, and they feel that their side of the story should be given to the fans, but don't want to conduct their affairs through the national media.

All in all he's let a lot of people down. On a brighter note we're pretty close to signing two new players in the next day or so apparently..

RiffRaff
25/11/2004, 5:54 PM
maybe he'll regret it in a few months when his pay cheques start bouncing

Enda M
25/11/2004, 8:05 PM
i think it is unfair how he goes around taking photos with the cup on monday with al smiles and is a drogheda player on wednesday.pity he is gone but wat really bugs me is if longfordians comment are true is that we got him when noone else wanted to know and then he does that

Longfordian
25/11/2004, 8:19 PM
It's true alright, I'd been hearing things to that effect before he signed for Drogs, the praise he was getting was going to his head, he was making a lot of demands for someone who hadn't done an awful lot in the game.

Maz
25/11/2004, 8:48 PM
good riddence! another mc govern! bloody defenders, bad attitudes

gheewhizz
26/11/2004, 12:01 AM
I can tell you that on Monday after the game I ask Garto will I see you next year & his response was "probably not as I wasn't treated fairly here"! I just looked at him in shock; I answered "yhea right"! As I know for a fact that he was treated very well at LTFC, for the reason's that Longfordian said, plus I know he was already on good money with us.

Longfordian
26/11/2004, 12:05 AM
fook him we're better off without "me feiners" like him..deserves any bit of abuse he may get when he returns in my opinion..

max power
26/11/2004, 2:43 AM
oh btw pic of gheewhizz to be on one f this weekend......with shiny trophy :p

Pauro 76
26/11/2004, 7:33 AM
thing i dont understand. We have two trophies in the cabinet, European football coming up, hes not leaving us for our lack of ambition. Hes not leaving us for a bigger club. Which means one thing. The ca$h. :(

the 12 th man
26/11/2004, 7:43 AM
Which means one thing. The ca$h. :(

money is indeed a powerful weapon.
maybe he was made an offer he could'nt refuse.

goint to miss hearing the "shags the cup" song :(

Macy
26/11/2004, 7:51 AM
money is indeed a powerful weapon.
maybe he was made an offer he could'nt refuse.
Ultimately it's his and most players profession. If he was offered silly money (which from what I've heard he was) then you can't blame players taking it. However, when you're getting down to €50 here and there, that makes him a príck imo. (What we were doing trying to match his money from the bottomless cash pit Drogs seem to have is another matter)

observer
26/11/2004, 9:06 AM
It could be far worse - it could have been Sean Dillon who would have been irreplacable. As it is we only have to find someone who gets booked regularly for mouthing and is willing to shed his clothes in public and Garto will have been adequatley covered. :rolleyes:

max power
26/11/2004, 9:12 AM
It could be far worse - it could have been Sean Dillon who would have been irreplacable.

no player is irreplaceable

Dillo
26/11/2004, 4:22 PM
no player is irreplaceable

Dillo is. :)

TheJamaicanP.M.
26/11/2004, 6:36 PM
Dillo is. :)

Have to agree with you there Dillo. We'll never find a player that looks as good on the ball as Dillo.

Enda M
26/11/2004, 9:26 PM
yeah he is a deadly player someone told me shels are looking for him to replace crawley hope its bull#hit though.

Longfordian
26/11/2004, 9:30 PM
They approached him last year but he signed a new deal, he has another year and we'd be due a good lump of compensation if he does go next year, obviously hope that never happens

Flea
26/11/2004, 9:35 PM
So long to Graham Gartland- we only want loyal players at this club. Dillon on the other hand is a massive player for us, the only player capable naturally of the 'big-big' time. We must hang onto him at all costs. I couldn't blame him if he left considering how talented he is. Gartland on the other hand was a two-bit nobody before Matthews picked him up and now obviously has a massive head. The Drog money bubble will soon burst and he'll have egg on his face. Bring back Paul McNally! :rolleyes:

Longfordian
26/11/2004, 9:39 PM
"Balloon head" I think Mathews said to somebody about Gartland..sums it up really.

Enda M
26/11/2004, 9:44 PM
a two-bit nobody

nice one cudnt have put it better meself

Regaine
26/11/2004, 10:50 PM
:eek:
Heard some more on Garto's departure today, it would seem he's going around telling people (Journos in particular) porkies about how he wasn't offered a proper contract by Longford, and how much he would have loved to have stayed but the club weren't treating him well, so I was asked to put forward the club's side of the story..Garto was negotiating a new contract with Alan, he asked for x amount per week which Alan felt was on the high side, but having thought about it decided he wanted to keep Garto so agreed to give him slightly more even than he had originally demanded. Bear in mind, he was already on decent money for a relatively unknown 21 year old defender.

Garto then went to Drogheda and used this figure to negotiate a better offer for himself and then returned and said to Alan, I now want x+50 or whatever, another good jump..Basically the club and Alan felt he showed no loyalty to the manager and club who rescued his career from being stuck getting €50 a week in Pats' U21s and took him to Europe even though he was injured to give him experience, the only injured player to be brought and stuck with him and developed him, and they feel that their side of the story should be given to the fans, but don't want to conduct their affairs through the national media.

All in all he's let a lot of people down. On a brighter note we're pretty close to signing two new players in the next day or so apparently..
If its true--and i'm sure it must be if you say the club asked you to say it--the Longford curse will follow him.Who left Longford and is playing at a decent level--except Stuie who only left by default?

Longfordian
27/11/2004, 1:43 AM
Feck it, time to forget about it, this type of stuff happens in football regularly, disappointing but no point getting too worked up over it, whoever comes will do the job just as well im sure

max power
27/11/2004, 1:47 AM
well said, lets face it the guy ALWAYS did his best on the pitch and people change jobs the whole time.....spoke to him last and and have to say i hold not ill feelings with him at all after havin a chat bout the move.

best of luck garto and i for one will welcome u back to the flansiro.

Longfordian
27/11/2004, 1:56 AM
I think he's making a mistake but it's his decision and as you say he did give his all when he was here, so I wish him well except against us

Dillo
27/11/2004, 8:17 AM
So long to Graham Gartland- we only want loyal players at this club. Dillon on the other hand is a massive player for us, the only player capable naturally of the 'big-big' time. We must hang onto him at all costs. I couldn't blame him if he left considering how talented he is. Gartland on the other hand was a two-bit nobody before Matthews picked him up and now obviously has a massive head. The Drog money bubble will soon burst and he'll have egg on his face. Bring back Paul McNally! :rolleyes:

Fair play to ya Flea! You know quality when you see it. Hope you're doing your weekly scouting down at Boyle Celtic ;) ! I know that club is steeped in history and has produced a few legends. Just go into Clarke's pub sure- full of pictures and everything about by-gone days.

briano
27/11/2004, 2:25 PM
listen i know graham personally and know why he left longford....his original contract offer was only for 36 weeks.and matthews put it to him that he either sign it or leave he was made feel that he wasnt wanted...he wasnt due to speak to paul doolin until he was forced to see him graham was willin to take a pay cut to play stay with longford but wanted a longer deal with less money...it was only when alan found out drogheda were interested that alan said he'd give him the extra year by this stage it was too late and matthews spoke to him in a patronisin tone...to say he thought he too big for the club upsets me when section 0 were short money i know graham handed over a few bob and thanked them for his sponsorship... he was offered a 3 year deal to leave with money to cover him over xmas which longford werent willin to do and as its his only income what choice did he have... he always made time for the fans and was always there for photos and the kids at the ground...he was an unknown 20 year old with experience of playin england and scotland.Played for ireland from the age of 14 to 20 in the youth olympics or other tournements and it was down to Aaron Callaghan that he came to longford... i wish him all the best and hope people get there facts straight about it... hes a good lad and has the respect of every player at longford so all the best garts... we'll miss yea!!!!! :o

max power
27/11/2004, 2:40 PM
listen i know graham personally and know why he left longford....his original contract offer was only for 36 weeks.and matthews put it to him that he either sign it or leave he was made feel that he wasnt wanted...he wasnt due to speak to paul doolin until he was forced to see him graham was willin to take a pay cut to play stay with longford but wanted a longer deal with less money...it was only when alan found out drogheda were interested that alan said he'd give him the extra year by this stage it was too late and matthews spoke to him in a patronisin tone...to say he thought he too big for the club upsets me when section 0 were short money i know graham handed over a few bob and thanked them for his sponsorship... he was offered a 3 year deal to leave with money to cover him over xmas which longford werent willin to do and as its his only income what choice did he have... he always made time for the fans and was always there for photos and the kids at the ground...he was an unknown 20 year old with experience of playin england and scotland.Played for ireland from the age of 14 to 20 in the youth olympics or other tournements and it was down to Aaron Callaghan that he came to longford... i wish him all the best and hope people get there facts straight about it... hes a good lad and has the respect of every player at longford so all the best garts... we'll miss yea!!!!! :o

sorry but weren't short money, he offered it to someone. and i know all of the above facts also. but there will always be stuff goin round when a player leves for another club.

btw i didn't post bout his contract as somethings should be kept between a club abd a player and not washed in public.

Longfordian
27/11/2004, 4:08 PM
Forget about it at this stage..there's two versions of events obviously. Facts are he's gone, we move on and so does he.

Btw: the stuff about his contract as i stated, was something I was asked to put forward by the club so i did.

gheewhizz
27/11/2004, 7:32 PM
... he was offered a 3 year deal to leave with money to cover him over xmas which longford werent willin to do and as its his only income what choice did he have...

Garto has worked for Digger for the last year

Martinho II
28/11/2004, 3:39 PM
personally speaking from my dealings with garto - he is an absolute diamond. i spoke to him at the cup final in the annaly and fair dues to him when i was talking to him about the sponsorship he wanted to give us a payment on behalf of himself which is a nice touch. by the way section o will be again be sponsoring a player next season -anyone there can do a postie for me on "what player do you want Section O to sponsor next season"

even though i disagree with the way he did thins section o will miss garto i certainly for one will not be booing him!longfordian are the lads signing tommorrow?

at the end of the drogs match garto was one of the first people to come near us! all the best in your new job garto!

Longfordian
28/11/2004, 5:11 PM
Not sure to be honest Marty, Alan was supposed to be meeting them tomorrow alright, we'll see if there's any news from that..

Maz
28/11/2004, 5:12 PM
fingers crossed so :p

Maz
29/11/2004, 11:22 AM
Heard from someone connected to the club last night that Gartland has been speaking to alot of people about the club and could end up in trouble if he keeps at it!

Pablo
29/11/2004, 7:27 PM
its unusual to hear a good player like that being released and no new club mentioned.

i know Drogs seem to be the likly destination but it looks like there was a right blow up there