PDA

View Full Version : SPL Attendance

blutil
24/11/2004, 12:26 AM
1,125 was the attendance tonight at the Livingston match in the scottish premier league tonight, sky news said that it was the lowest ever attendance at an SPL game. whats the lowest in the eL Prem ?

Rovers Fellow!
24/11/2004, 7:12 AM
Not sure what the lowest is in the EL but id say its pretty low unfortunately. It was actually Inverness not Livingston. As far as I know Inverness are playing at Aberdeens ground while their own ground is being upgraded to SPL standards, which is probably the main reason for it.

Poor Student
24/11/2004, 8:49 AM
Not sure what the lowest is in the EL but id say its pretty low unfortunately. It was actually Inverness not Livingston. As far as I know Inverness are playing at Aberdeens ground while their own ground is being upgraded to SPL standards, which is probably the main reason for it.

Yep it was Inverness and Pitodree is an hours drive from Inverness I think. It's not representative of SPL attendences.

ConfusedBlue
24/11/2004, 10:03 AM
Lowest has got to of been some of CHFEFDCFC games was up at our last away game against them,there must of been no more than 200 at the game!!!

Ash
24/11/2004, 10:18 AM
Lowest has got to of been some of CHFEFDCFC games was up at our last away game against them,there must of been no more than 200 at the game!!!

Im pretty sure we've had a few attendances that would be lucky to break
the 150 mark. Could be wrong but that's the way it looked a few times from
the stand :o

ConfusedBlue
24/11/2004, 10:37 AM
whats the lowest in the eL Prem ?

Im pretty sure we've had a few attendences that would be lucky to break the 150 mark. Could be wrong but thats the way it looked a few times from the stand
Nice to see the Irish education system is alive and well in Athlone

gustavo
24/11/2004, 1:09 PM
now im not that old but im sure athlone must have been in the premier division at some stage :)

Aberdonian Stu
25/11/2004, 9:19 AM
Just for clarification.

Aberdeen, where Inverness CT are currently playing their games, is three hours by car/train from Inverness. As it stands there are only 1900 seats in Caley's own ground. The previous record for lowest attendance is held by St Johnstone in their relegation season when playing in their actual home ground of McDiarmid Park in Perth when they got just over 2,000. Bizarrely in the same season they were involved in the best attended game outside of Glasgow as 19,000 watched Aberdeen play them in Pittodrie (a greater number than the Old Firm visits got).

Hecko
25/11/2004, 9:44 AM
Surprised to see UCD people on this thread - would be fairly sure lowest top-flight attendance in the eL/League of Ireland involved UCD. With CHFFDC you could always count the staff at Tolka and eth few lads working in the chip van which would push it over the 100 or so I've sen at Belfield over the years...

Aberdonian Stu
25/11/2004, 10:07 AM
Well I'm fairly confident that we don't hold the lowest attendance record (despite our low crowds) largely because of other clubs misfortunes might I stress. When Dublin City were under their Evertonian incarnation they had some particularly poor crowds that "outdid" us with ease. Likewise when Drogheda got relegated in the 1999/2000 season the attendances at their last few home games were also quite bad.

manic da hoop
25/11/2004, 10:18 AM
Well there is, of course, our legendary match against Athlone at Milltown, played sometime in the late '70's, I think. I'm not sure what the official figure is - something like 64 (the match was so bad that just about everyone there spent the game counting the heads) although, no doubt, some of our older fans might be able to confirm this figure. Ironically, like the GPO in 1916, the number of people who claim to have actually been at it must number in the tens of thousands by now!

anto eile
25/11/2004, 12:02 PM
i remmeber in irish soccer magazine, an attendance given for home farm everton at a game in whitehall was 12. (twelve people). surely homefarm everton must have the "record" so

jimhacker
25/11/2004, 12:15 PM
On the first Sunday in September of 1976 or77 I attended Cork Utd vs Thurles Town in Flower Lodge in the company of 22 others.

15 of those travelled from Thurles!

pineapple stu
25/11/2004, 12:28 PM
What about St Francis? They used to be recorded as low as 50 in Kickin' magainze when that was around.

For what it's worth, the lowest attendance I've seen for a league game in Belfield was around 100 in the Premier in the 2000/01 season (whenever Galway and Monaghan went down). That was for both Galway games and the Monaghan tie. Nice to see us not reach those lows even in the First Division this year! Apparently the lowest ever crowd at a UCD league game was about 25 in 1987 against Kilkenny on a freezing cold Tuesday when we were both in the bottom half of the league.

gspain
25/11/2004, 1:09 PM
UCD v Limerick early 90's at Belfield. - might have been 92 january or February anyway. Dreadful day, terrible storm - game went ahead as the pitch was so good. Only 5 fans in the ground (4 Limerick) at kickoff. 30-40 in by half time. We won 2-1.

Re the reference above re Cork united v Thurles. Thurles joined the league in 1977 but Cork United didn't replace Cork Alberts until 1979. I believe Alberts got dreadful crowds all right.

CollegeTillIDie
25/11/2004, 7:35 PM
On the first Sunday in September of 1976 or77 I attended Cork Utd vs Thurles Town in Flower Lodge in the company of 22 others.

15 of those travelled from Thurles!

Home Farm v Cork Alberts in 1977 at the same time as Dublin V Kerry at GAA National League in Croker... attendance 28. Of the 28 , travelling support for Cork was 15. Old League of Irelad 1 Division I was at the game. Charlie Nelligan played in goal for Farm that day.

jimhacker
26/11/2004, 8:25 AM
UCD v Limerick early 90's at Belfield. - might have been 92 january or February anyway. Dreadful day, terrible storm - game went ahead as the pitch was so good. Only 5 fans in the ground (4 Limerick) at kickoff. 30-40 in by half time. We won 2-1.

Re the reference above re Cork united v Thurles. Thurles joined the league in 1977 but Cork United didn't replace Cork Alberts until 1979. I believe Alberts got dreadful crowds all right.

Happy Days!!!!!!