PDA

View Full Version : The hard work for Connor begins now

sligoman
23/11/2004, 5:58 PM
Speaking after last Saturday’s 1-0 defeat to Limerick FC, Sligo Rovers manager Sean Connor admitted that it was a disappointing way for Rovers to bring their season to a close.
“It was very disappointing because, once again, every time we have come off a good home performance we have gone away from home and we haven’t performed,” said the Belfast native, who previously worked at English Premiership club, Birmingham City.

http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story.asp?j=20450

Redzer
29/11/2004, 1:46 PM
We are just passionate supporters of Sligo Rovers. Unfortunately we don’t have your knowledge of players in England or Spain or whatever part of planet Earth you’re on. Why don’t you put your money where your mouth is and do something positive for Rovers? If as you say, that you have all these contacts with good young players. Why don’t you make contact with, and compile a list of players who would agree to move to Sligo for trials, and who would be willing to sign if terms were agreeable. Give this list to Conner or your friend Toolan, and let them take it from there. If a player comes in through this way, then you may be taken seriously. The least you could say was that you discovered or recommended him. Even I can check the Internet and compile a list of players, but that doesn’t mean I know fcuk all about them. How about it? My guess is that you don’t take up the challenge.

Petmuller
29/11/2004, 4:57 PM
I decided to join in on the chat after months/years reading the various comments. I have supported Rovers since 1975 when I was ten years of age my dad took me along to the showgrounds for the first time. Since then I have been fortunate enough to witness Rovers winning trophies that for years before supporters only longed for. 1997/98 when we won our last trophy was sadly to be the beginning of the end for SRFC. Hindsight is a great thing in every walk of life but when it comes to Rovers we are all experts with the aid of it. 1998 saw plans unvailed to develope the grounds and since then the playing side of things have suffered. It was decision taken by non-football people and yet in years to come it will be deemed to have been a wonderful achievement for a club of the calibre of Rovers to have such a great football ground. Yet when we look at the present and see whats on offer it's only the passionate ones amoung us that can't see whats happening. For this reason I have come to admire the comments of siemprered. I sincerely feel that the most people on this forum don't pay enough heed to what hes actually saying. I must say I agree whole heartedly on what he has to say about the appointment of our new manager. I think the writing is on the wall that we have once more gone down the same avenue as when Don O' Riordan was appointed. Don, god be good to him, was nothing but an out and out spoofer and I'm afraid Sean Connor is from the same mould. I have watched his antics over the eight games he has been in charge and simple I'm not impressed. The list of players released and held speaks for itself. I'm sure he's Don O' Riordan in disguise. Gerry Carr has gone into the history books as the man that scored against Derry in the '94 final, yet today his reputation is in tatters. The good times are forgotten and we're left with an ageing player that's past his sell by date. Gorman will never do a job for Rovers full stop. Yet Connors has got these lads to put pen to paper. Why?? Look at the players he has off loaded. Carty, Purcell, Neary, Quinn, Flynn, all young lads with loads of potential. This business of joining up with Birmingham and a youth academy doesnt wash when you see young players being off-loaded from our club to be replaced by what?? When we got rid of Don O' Riordan I as most did thought it was a new beginning. Mickey Feeney stepped in and I for one felt he was doing a good job. If he did nothing else he saw through Darren Jack and left him out of his squad. I felt and still do that Mickey got a raw deal and in comes Sean Connor and his first game he plays Darren Jack and continued to do so until the end of the season. Is this an indication of things to come? No, I'm not at all happy with the situation we now find ourselves. I sincerely hope I'm wrong abiut the new manager, don't get me wrong and I do intend to give him the benifit of my doubt but if his last eight games were anything to go on I don't hold much hope.

Terry
30/11/2004, 3:42 PM
. i don't agree with connor getting rid of ramuel or rivere but i assume that was to do with money also and he probably feels that the likes of sean kelly is better than ram anyway.

heard half way through the season that they were coming to GUFC next season along with a few others. I'm sure they'll be living with Lavine and watson if they do come down :) .

Galway, the capital of Barbados !!!! :D :D :D

Petmuller
30/11/2004, 6:33 PM
In fairness red til dead, when did he see these players play? A few minutes at the end of each game for Keith Carty when it took him all of eight games to make his mind up on Darren Jack. What exactly does that tell us? As regards Alan Flynn I felt he had potential.

Terry
02/12/2004, 7:59 AM
So your not taking up the challenge and proving that redzer was correct about ya???? :D

Redzer
02/12/2004, 1:36 PM
So your not taking up the challenge and proving that redzer was correct about ya???? :D
It's like I thought, all Siemprered knows about footballers is; he thinks Avis Van Hire is a Dutch international. At least Toolan and Conner have stood up and put themselves in the public domain. History will judge their records.

Petmuller
02/12/2004, 4:48 PM
It's like I thought, all Siemprered knows about footballers is; he thinks Avis Van Hire is a Dutch international. At least Toolan and Conner have stood up and put themselves in the public domain. History will judge their records.

Is this really how we want our history to be written??
Two men making a stand in public and the rest of us live in hope that their gamble pays off. Is that all we expect from the people that have the future of our club in their hands??
Am I missing something here??