PDA

View Full Version : Fans Team of the Year

Pages : [1] 2

pete
23/11/2004, 2:58 PM
Since we'll all have seen as much football as some journalists we should be able to make a better go at.

Williams
Heary, Bennet, Rogers, Crawley
Hoolahan, Byrne, Gamble, Kearney
Byrne, Doyle

Subs: Devine, Grey, Hunt, Ryan, Murphy

Hunt below par this season. Murphy gets in ahead of Crowe as irish international wouldn't score half as manay goals if not with Bohs.

Éanna
23/11/2004, 3:00 PM
Williams

Heary Bennett Grey Webb

Hoolahan Gamble George Kearney

Doyle J Byrne

On the bench: Devine, Hoggy, Stuey Byrne, Hunt, Murphy

Colm
23/11/2004, 3:08 PM
Devine
Heary Bennett Rogers Murphy
Ryan Hoolahan Georgie Kearney
Doyle Byrne

Subs: Williams, S Byrne, Hunt, Gamble, Murphy.

Gamble only left out because he didn't play for most of the season. Hunt not up to his usual standards so didn't make it. I don't rate Jason Byrne but you can't really leave the leagues top scorer out. Murphy on the bench ahead of Crowe for the same reason as Pete said above.

max power
23/11/2004, 3:20 PM
wow we win 2 out of the 3 trophies on offer and not one of our players gets mentioned......

what have ANY of the cork/bohs/pats/waterford/drogs/rovers/dc/derry/ squad won ??? well tell me......

patsh
23/11/2004, 3:22 PM
Devine

Heary, Bennett, Grey, Webb,

Hoolahan, S Byrne, George, Kearney,

Doyle, J Byrne,

On the bench: Williams, Hoggy, Gamble, Hunt, O'Brien from Drogs

pete
23/11/2004, 3:23 PM
No Longford forward will get in any team due to lack of goals.
I considered Kirby for midfield & in hindsight he get in ahead of Hunt.
Think ye been too inconsitent in defense & ferguson also missed cuo final so didn't see him in that. LC doesn't count.

tiktok
23/11/2004, 3:27 PM
Hmmm.....

Williams
Heary Bennett Gray Dillon
Doyle Hoolahan S.Byrne Kearney
O'Brien J.Byrne

Subs:
Devine
Ferguson
Baker
Myler
Daryl Murphy

it's a team that wouldn't win many games (way too small) but my best XI :)

max power
23/11/2004, 3:27 PM
No Longford forward will get in any team due to lack of goals.
I considered Kirby for midfield & in hindsight he get in ahead of Hunt.
Think ye been too inconsitent in defense & ferguson also missed cuo final so didn't see him in that. LC doesn't count.

ferguson and dillon have to be in any team of the year, LC doesn't count.....only to teams who didn't win it, i'd say any cork supporter would relish the thought of even having that piece of silverware in the trophy cabinet.

fowards i agree with, but we have one of the best defencive records around and unbeaten in 24 games in all domestic cup competitions.......

but yet none of our players are good enough for the team of the season :rolleyes:

Éanna
23/11/2004, 3:30 PM
there are a couple of players from longford (kirby, baker, ferguson, digger and dillon) who were close, but in the end, it comes down to league form, and what i've seen with my own eyes. On that basis, none of them made it.

Colm
23/11/2004, 3:32 PM
i'd say any cork supporter would relish the thought of even having that piece of silverware in the trophy cabinet.

Most City supporters I know would prefer if we didn't even enter the thing. It's a waste of time.

There are no Longford players good enough to get in the team of the season as your league position proves.

max power
23/11/2004, 3:33 PM
there are a couple of players from longford (kirby, baker, ferguson, digger and dillon) who were close, but in the end, it comes down to league form, and what i've seen with my own eyes. On that basis, none of them made it.

where does it say league form ???? thats a personal view, be fair and take the whole season into a count.

if u did AT LEAST ONE of our players is good enough of that team. next you'll be sayin dolan was a more impressive manager that alan :rolleyes: oh go on and it, i know u want to :D

Éanna
23/11/2004, 3:36 PM
From my point of view, the league is where it matters. Any player can do well in a cup match, because its easy to psyche yourself up for a cup match. Doing it consistently in the leaue is what really counts. For the record, another reason I picked Grey ahead of Ferguson is because longford hoof too much and their defenders don't look capable of passing the ball.

tiktok
where does it say league form ???? thats a personal view, be fair and take the whole season into a count.

I saw a fair bit of Longford this season.
Dillon is a definite, Bennett egdes out Ferguson for me, just.
Dessie impressed me too tbh, he must have scored into double figures for you.

Longfordian
Sean Prunty has to be worth a mention too, as left back, he didn't get our player of the year for nothing, he's had a far better season than Kirby overall, himself Dillon and Ferguson were our three outstanding players this season, Baker wasnt consistent enough though he did manage 14 goals, some spectacular ones too

max power
Most City supporters I know would prefer if we didn't even enter the thing. It's a waste of time.

There are no Longford players good enough to get in the team of the season as your league position proves.

hows ur trophy cabinet lookin these days ???? 66% sucess rate in all domestic competitions and we are not good enough :D

my dog, the rebel fca has climbed so far up its own rear end its suffering from vertigo ;)

max power
23/11/2004, 3:39 PM
From my point of view, the league is where it matters. Any player can do well in a cup match, because its easy to psyche yourself up for a cup match. Doing it consistently in the leaue is what really counts. For the record, another reason I picked Grey ahead of Ferguson is because longford hoof too much and their defenders don't look capable of passing the ball.

if any player can do well where is ur cup or if the league is the nly thing where is ur league........

great players win trophies, wanna be's talk bout it.....eh next season :rolleyes:

Éanna
23/11/2004, 3:45 PM
longford are a team suited to the cup. not the league. their league position proves that. i'd love to have won a cup this year, but finishing second is more important IMO.

Longfordian
23/11/2004, 3:47 PM
More money in wining the Cup than finishing second, even the league cup has bigger prize money than second place
by the way our second half of the season form was not bad at all in the league, we paid for a terrible start and not taking our chances in games we deserved to win

Colm
23/11/2004, 3:49 PM
longford are a team suited to the cup. not the league. their league position proves that. i'd love to have won a cup this year, but finishing second is more important IMO.

Yeah I agree. Winning the cup means nothing if you still finish in the bottom half of the league.

I think we've seen over the last 2 years that the big 3 clubs have started to concentrate on the league and on Europe and have the cup has become an afterthought.

I think the only fair way that you can judge a team of the season on league performance.

Éanna
23/11/2004, 3:49 PM
More money in wining the Cup than finishing second, even the league cup has bigger prize money than second place
by the way our second half of the season form was not bad at all in the league, we paid for a terrible start and not taking our chances in games we deserved to win
its nothing to do with money. its about putting everything in place to win the title, which when it comes down to it, is the only trophy really worth winning in terms of progressing as a club.

Longfordian
23/11/2004, 3:51 PM
How exactly does it mean nothing? it gets you into UEFA and Setanta Cups and makes you €60,000 or so from the final, means alot to most clubs if you ask me

Éanna
23/11/2004, 3:53 PM
Yeah I agree. Winning the cup means nothing if you still finish in the bottom half of the league.

Iwouldn't say it means nothing, a trophy is always nice, but the league is what really matters *at the end of the day*

Xlex
23/11/2004, 3:54 PM
to be fair, we haven't played well against Cork this season so I'm not surprised at their assessment, Prunts and Fergson would be in with a shout.

Longfordian
23/11/2004, 4:04 PM
That is true Xlex, we didnt perform against Cork this season, they got a bit lucky with the way the fixtures worked out too with two games against us before the cup final. I think every club's fans tend to rate their own players higher than opponents but Ferguson, Prunty and Dillon have been outstanding for us this year

Xlex
23/11/2004, 4:06 PM
Iwouldn't say it means nothing, a trophy is always nice, but the league is what really matters *at the end of the day*
Would it be fair to say that a sixth placed team couldn't have a player or two which performed to a standard to that of a league champion. Clubs all over the land will be all over Barry Ferguson on Sean Dillon next off season and you guys will wonder why. Obv. Doolin sees something in Kirby and Gartland. That's three of our first choice back four.

Now if your winding the two lads up fair enough. We won two cups, earned valuable cash in the process, earned a place in the UEFA and Setanta cups. We will operate to breakeven point. We are well pleased with our season. CCFC have their priorities and we have ours. Which one of us have realised their respective goals.

jfogarty
23/11/2004, 4:37 PM
Williams

Heary, Bennett, Foley, Byrne,

Hoolahan, S Byrne, George, Kearney,

Doyle, O'Brien

Dillo
23/11/2004, 4:41 PM
Digger

Heary Ferguson Rodgers Dillo

Baker Byrne Hunt

Hoolahan

Byrne Crowe

Manager: Dillo

Subs:
Williams
Prunty
Kevin Doyle (not Robbie! ;) )
Daryl Murphy
Grey

ConfusedBlue
23/11/2004, 4:54 PM
Can't believe you're all overlooking Daryll Murphy!!I know this is gonna sound biased but he's been the best striker in the EL this season without doubt.Playing for what most of ye regard as a small,part-time,provincial club and yet he still scores 14 league goals and 8 cup goals.He is the main reason we did so well this season but yet does'nt get the credit he deserves,if he was playing for a Dublin club he'd be in yere team of the season!!!

Longfordian
23/11/2004, 5:01 PM
He'd be in my team of the year alright, him and Byrne up front.

Devine
Heary
Rogers
Ferguson
Prunty
Hoolahan
S Byrne
Hunt
J Byrne
Murphy

Subs
O'Callaghan
Dillon
Fahey
Crowe
Williams

Éanna
23/11/2004, 7:16 PM
Would it be fair to say that a sixth placed team couldn't have a player or two which performed to a standard to that of a league champion. Clubs all over the land will be all over Barry Ferguson on Sean Dillon next off season and you guys will wonder why. Obv. Doolin sees something in Kirby and Gartland. That's three of our first choice back four.they will be, and they are very good players. all of them. But, as I said I just think Bennett and Grey are that bit better- mainly due to the fact that both of them have passed the ball out of defence nicely, whereas the longford players have been a lot more direct.

We are well pleased with our season. CCFC have their priorities and we have ours. Which one of us have realised their respective goals.
we're pleased with ours, and we reached our goals as well. our aim at the start of the season was to challenge for the title and finish 1st or 2nd. We did that. The only goal we didn't reach was reaching the semi-finals of the inter-toto, and we came damn close to that too. Population/support size dictates that longford and city will have different goals and will operate differently. We both had good seasons.

Éanna
23/11/2004, 7:19 PM
Can't believe you're all overlooking Daryll Murphy!!I know this is gonna sound biased but he's been the best striker in the EL this season without doubt.
3rd best in the league IMO. Which is why he was on the bench ahead of Crowe. I picked Byrne cos he was top scorer in the league (can't argue with that) and i picked Doyle because he scored almost as many as murphy despite playing on the wing for most of the season, and he also scored more than murphy with the U21's. Murphy's a damn good player, and is capable of being better than Byrne next season, and for many seasons to come. But this season was really his first scoring regularly- he'll have to prove he can do it consistently

Bosco
23/11/2004, 10:16 PM
Our back 4 hoofing is also down to the fact that we were playing with a very weak cen midfield for most of the season who just weren't showing for the ball.We seem to have found a good partnership on dean and martin and have been playing alot better since

My Team

Digger
Heary Rodgers Bennet Dillon

S Moore Byrne Hunt

Hoolahan

J Byrne D.Murphy

Subs:
Williams
Prunty
K,Doyle
Gartland
Ryan

harry crumb
23/11/2004, 10:34 PM
----------Williams----------

Heary----Rogers----Grey(Drogs)----- Danny Murphy(Cork)

K.Doyle-----K. Hunt------S.Byrne------A. O'keefe(Pats)

Daryl murphy------------Jason Byrne(player of the season)

Subs.
Michael Devine
Barry Ferguson
Sean prunty
Wes Hoolahan
Alan reynolds
Declan O'Brien(Drogs)

missfootie
24/11/2004, 8:08 AM
Williams

Heary Ferguson Rogers Bennett
Kearney S.Byrne Hunt Prunty

D. Murphy J.Byrne

Subs:
O'Brien
Dillon
Moore
Whoolihan
O'Flynn
Manager: Pat Dolan

ConfusedBlue
24/11/2004, 10:16 AM
But this season was really his first scoring regularly- he'll have to prove he can do it consistently
see now that just defeats your argument for including Doyle in your team of the season

patsh
24/11/2004, 10:28 AM
see now that just defeats your argument for including Doyle in your team of the seasonWhy?
Kevin Doyle must be in the top three players this season, his inclusion in any fair assessment of the team of the season is a certainty.

ConfusedBlue
24/11/2004, 10:34 AM
Why?Kevin Doyle must be in the top three players this season, his inclusion in any fair assessment of the team of the season is a certainty.
Because as was said of Murphy above,this was his 1st season doing it regularly,he'll have to prove he can do it consistently!!!

patsh
24/11/2004, 10:47 AM
Because as was said of Murphy above,this was his 1st season doing it regularly,he'll have to prove he can do it consistently!!!The team is based on THIS season.
btw, Doyle also did the business LAST season, for City and the Ireland u-21s.

Slash/ED
24/11/2004, 11:40 AM
JByrne O'Brien

Kearney SByrne Hoolahan Fahey

Webb Rogers Gray Heary

Williams

pete
24/11/2004, 1:13 PM
to be fair, we haven't played well against Cork this season so I'm not surprised at their assessment, Prunts and Fergson would be in with a shout.

I'd agree with that which is probably why some Town players just edged out.

I think too many people include Crowe & Hunt because of reputation & not form. Always hard tp pick when only see opposition a few times a year but be suprised if many dublin based journos leave the pale very often except for europe.

MrJoeSoap
24/11/2004, 1:19 PM
Williams

Heary - Harris - D.Murray - Webb

Ryan - S.Byrne - K. Hunt - Cahill

D. Murphy - J. Byrne

RedX
24/11/2004, 8:41 PM
Devine
Heary Ferguson Bennett D Murphy
Ryan Hunt Georgie Kearney
Doyle Byrne

Subs....Williams,Robbie Doyle,S Byrne,C Foley,D Lynch

ConfusedBlue
25/11/2004, 12:01 PM
The team is based on THIS season.btw, Doyle also did the business LAST season, for City and the Ireland u-21s.
Yes and correct me if I'm wrong (I doubt it though) but Doyle spent last season and a good portion of this season as a right-sided midfielder.
Daryll Murphy scored 22 goals (2nd in the top goalscorers list,3 less than an Irish senior international) with a mid-table club.How many did Doyle score for a title-chasing side?????????
I think Daryll's record speaks for itself.
Oh and btw he also did the business last year(scored 7 league goals) when he was in and out of the team with places being rotated between Fenn,O'Neill,Daryll and Sullivan!!!!!!!!

Dodge
25/11/2004, 1:40 PM
Good to see the Cork lads as balanced as ever.

-------------------O'Connor(Wat)-------------------
Heary(Shels) Gray(Drogs) Ferguson (Long) Webb (Bohs)
Hoolahan (Shels) S. Byrne (Shels) Fahey (Pats) Ryan (Bohs)
---------J. Byrne (Shels) Doyle (Cork)-------------

Subs; Murphy (Waterford), O'Callaghan (Cork), Harris (Shels), Molloy (Sham), O'Brien (Longford)

Enda M
25/11/2004, 8:42 PM
digger
dillo
ferguson
gartland
prunty
kirby
fitzgerald
martin
barrett
lavine
baker :D

Éanna
25/11/2004, 8:43 PM
digger
dillo
ferguson
gartland
prunty
kirby
fitzgerald
martin
barrett
lavine
baker :D
the thread is not "Cup Team of the season" :p ;)

exile
25/11/2004, 9:47 PM
----------ryan----------------------
heary----gray-------bennet ------ danny murphy

doyle-----georgie-----hunt----------houlihan

daryl murphy------------------------bryne

saw a fair bit of ryan this year and only for him imo opinion dublin city would have been relegated ages ago

Breifne
26/11/2004, 12:06 AM
saw a fair bit of ryan this year and only for him imo opinion dublin city would have been relegated ages ago

Fair point, he was pretty good once he came in, earned us a point in Cork as well as a number of other decent performances.

My Team for what its worth is:

Manager: Pat Fenlon (Shelbourne) - Goes without saying 2 titles at 2 attempts is pretty impressive!!

1. Barry Ryan (Dublin City)
2. Owen Heary (Shelbourne)
3. Simon Webb (Bohemians)
4. Barry Ferguson (Longford Town)
5. Dave Rogers (Shelbourne) - edited apologies to all Longford Fans!!!
6. Alan Moore (Shelbourne)
7. Kevin Doyle (Cork City)
8. Wesley Houlihan (Shelbourne)
9. Daryl Murphy (Waterford United)
10. Jason Byrne (Shelbourne)
11. Killian Brennan (Dublin City & Derry City

12. Steve Williams (Shelbourne)
13. Sean Dillon (Longford Town)
14. Alan Reynolds (Waterford United)
15. Declan O'Brien (Drogheda United)
16. Gary O'Neill (Dublin City)

Longfordian