PDA

View Full Version : Saints land Ryan

Roo69
23/11/2004, 1:25 PM
St Patrick’s Athletic manager Johnny McDonnell has completed the signing of former Goalkeeper of the Year Barry Ryan from relegated Dublin City.

Ryan returned to eircom League action during the summer after serving a nine-month ban for a recreational drug offence.

The former UCD and Shamrock Rovers shotstopper performed well in goal for the Vikings, but was unable to save the club from relegation at the end of the Premier Division campaign.

Nevertheless, the 27-year-old will be playing top flight football next season after agreeing a deal with the Saints.

He replaces the departed Chris Adamson, but may have a fight on his hands to claim the number one shirt as under-21 goalkeeper Brendan Clarke impressed during the run-in to the 2004 campaign.

Ryan joins fellow new-boys Stephen Caffrey, who signed last week from Bohemians, and ex-Liverpool and Irish under-21 international midfielder Michael Foley, while McDonnell is also in the hunt for Shelbourne forward Gerard Rowe, possibly on a season-long loan from the eircom League champions.

pineapple stu
23/11/2004, 1:44 PM
Bets of luck to him. Best keeper in the league when he wants to be - and has the awards to prove it.

Hibs4Ever
24/11/2004, 8:11 AM
Great signing (although I was hoping for Stephen O'Brien) Clarke is not ready yet, but definitely one for the future.

Terry Phelan
24/11/2004, 10:34 AM
Ye wouldn't have a hope of signing stephen o'brien,he's longford til he dies.The man's a true legend!

Hibs4Ever
24/11/2004, 10:46 AM
Not what we heard. We were VERY close to signing him. He's a local lad. And a saints fan from what I've heard.

TonyD
24/11/2004, 9:51 PM
That's true as far as I know. I think his whole family are Saints fans. I wouldn't sign him though, he's too short for a top class Goalkeeper.