PDA

View Full Version : Soccer Republic

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

nigel-harps1954
09/03/2015, 10:16 PM
Stephen Kenny reckons Derry City could win the league.

I'll just let that sink in here.

SPXcyan
09/03/2015, 10:17 PM
Raised an eyebrow that one, what's he on?!

paykanti
09/03/2015, 10:25 PM
Don't see why not, settled side with one of the best midfields in the league. Depth is an issue but let's be honest, Dundalk won the title with about 14 players.

Macy
09/03/2015, 10:32 PM
I assume they'll be back to talk about the other team that played in oriel Friday night...

nigel-harps1954
09/03/2015, 10:49 PM
Damien Duff reiterates his desire to play League of Ireland football and that he'll be back in the country in April/May.

McNasara
10/03/2015, 10:11 AM
Whether it is possible to see this show outside of Ireland, whether it will be available on YouTube or anywhere else in the coming days?

Cheers

DannyInvincible
10/03/2015, 10:19 AM
Whether it is possible to see this show outside of Ireland, whether it will be available on YouTube or anywhere else in the coming days?

Cheers

If you use Google Chrome, add the Hola app: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hola-better-internet/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio?hl=en#detail/hola-better-internet/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio?hl=en

You'll be able to watch the show outside of Ireland then here: www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10385019/

ThePrisoner
10/03/2015, 10:21 AM
He was in the Showgrounds on Saturday night. I'd wager that he had a trusted pair of eyes and ears in Tallaght on Friday night.

So he's had an early look the four chasing clubs and decided to throw a curved ball.

A N Mouse
10/03/2015, 12:11 PM

Cheers

Last year an edited rest of the world version became available later in the week (having removed assorted bits - english premier league footage - presumably rights issues). This may or may not still be an issue this year - had an irish abroad section, did that have highlights?

paykanti
10/03/2015, 12:50 PM
Do what DannyInvincible says, I watched it from England last night almost immediately after it finished using that method and it was fine.

WeAreRovers
10/03/2015, 2:46 PM
Last year an edited rest of the world version became available later in the week (having removed assorted bits - english premier league footage - presumably rights issues). This may or may not still be an issue this year - had an irish abroad section, did that have highlights?

It will be the same this year - international version available during the week.

Azrob Spooh
10/03/2015, 2:55 PM
Though the show was poor last night. The format is stale and it is certainly not helped by having Peter Collins as the presenter.
Tony O'Donoghue's contribution was just embarrassing.

Captain2007
10/03/2015, 6:28 PM
Though the show was poor last night. The format is stale and it is certainly not helped by having Peter Collins as the presenter.
Tony O'Donoghue's contribution was just embarrassing.

Bring back Con all is forgiven!!

redobit
10/03/2015, 9:19 PM
Stephen Kenny reckons Derry City could win the league.

Is that a wee fail safe for the future.

Kiki Balboa
11/03/2015, 11:36 PM
I really like the show. I think people can be extremely harsh on it. Its a remarkable step up from M.N.S, and terrible time can be overcome by simply using the internet after the show has aired .
What do people expect from the show? Its pretty similar to the other R.T.E sport shows. Its not perfect, the biggest annoyance for me of the show is that it is on Monday night instead of a Friday.

Life supporting the League would certainty be a lot worse without it, and I think people should be a lot more appreciative of the show.

Dunny
12/03/2015, 2:13 AM
It's there and people give out. If it wasn't there people would give out. #greatestleagueintheworld

Charlie Darwin
12/03/2015, 2:16 AM
Its not perfect, the biggest annoyance for me of the show is that it is on Monday night instead of a Friday.
Well, Friday would be unworkable as the games only finish at 9.30 and any away fan and those of us who go out after wouldn't get to see it. With the Premier League on Setanta, Saturday would be workable but obviously RTE don't want to give up valuable ad time.

Macy
12/03/2015, 8:14 AM
Life supporting the League would certainty be a lot worse without it, and I think people should be a lot more appreciative of the show.
This doff the hat attitude to any crumb we're thrown is part of the leagues problem imo.

But back to the show... Still, after all these years in various guises, is that there's too much talk and too many gimmicky crap, and not enough action. Tony O'Donoghue might as well have saved that stupid Irish Abroad slot for Game On on the radio, as without any of the action to show while he talked it added nothing. The ask the manager slot - what was the point of that? To save Peter Collins from having to think up bloody questions himself? It was supposed to be a League of Ireland show, but RTE go out of their way to dilute it as much as possible with English/ National Team stuff that has loads of bloody outlets already.

Edit - decided to come back with a suggestion, rather than just criticise... Instead of the aforementioned Irish Abroad slot and Ask the manager, they could do a feature on a club, management committee/ board, supporters club and what activities they are doing around the club, fundraisers, club in the community, club developments etc.

ThePrisoner
12/03/2015, 11:49 AM
Edit - decided to come back with a suggestion, rather than just criticise... Instead of the aforementioned Irish Abroad slot and Ask the manager, they could do a feature on a club, management committee/ board, supporters club and what activities they are doing around the club, fundraisers, club in the community, club developments etc.

That would involve doing some work - getting out of the studio, making enquiries, arranging meetings, filming, editing, etc. etc.

Why do all that when you can do Irish Abroad from the multiple websites available and Ask the Manager, well let him travel from Cork or Donegal or wherever.

A club focus would be a good idea and let people see all the effort, hard work and commitment that goes into running a club.

disgruntled
12/03/2015, 11:57 AM
I enjoy the show but please stick to the League of Ireland.
If they need to fill time then focus on the League by going around to the clubs who take part in it.
There are plenty of other media outlets for the International & Uk stuff.

gufcfan
12/03/2015, 12:12 PM
Or... you know, show highlights... A lot of the time they end up showing the goals and very little, if nothing else.

Macy
12/03/2015, 1:18 PM
That would involve doing some work - getting out of the studio, making enquiries, arranging meetings, filming, editing, etc. etc.

I'd prefer better and longer highlights. That's what I really don't get about MNS and now Soccer Republic. Surely the big cost is the camera's at all the grounds, and they use in house stuff for the editing etc. Then they insist on minimising the return on the costs, so a few bitter ex-pros and disinterest RTE staffers can talk rubbish for longer.

Mr A
12/03/2015, 3:40 PM
As I've often said- I like the national team being brought in from time to time. There are plenty of people interested in the nation team that may not be into the league that much and having them on together is no harm.

It's the overload of analysts I see as the biggest issue.

Longfordian
12/03/2015, 5:52 PM
Most of them are ****e analysts at that. How Alan Cawley is getting so much media work is beyond me, but then I never liked him from his brief time at LTFC.

Nesta99
13/03/2015, 8:01 AM
There is something about Cawleys voice/accent that isnt tv or radio friendly but what he has to say is fine. He obviously works on his tv persona so he does. Sadlier gets champions league, internationals and LoI and could be chatting about gaa and get away with it, Cawley getting rte.ie work and kept on SR id imagine is no coincidence. He always seems like he is rushing to get his point across before he gets cut off all the time so speaks a mile a minute!

I wish there was more of the games shown and maybe a 1st division round up of goals only but never gonna happen. The mixing in of international stuff may open the league highlights to a broader audience but it is also possible that there are not always that many 'highlights' in games especially in half empty grounds. There could be muck ball on show but if there looks to be busy stadia the perception of the indifferent would be more positive i reckon. Oriel Park has few flaws but one it does have is that it could be sold out and on tv but the crowd can look sparse as people are dotted about the town end. At least with tallaght its obvious that there are 2 stands and behind the goals aren't used. This crosses in to the argument that away fans being accomodated in the stand only would make the stand full and look better on TV. Perception is everything and Sky have exploited that and making lawn bowling seem edge of your seat stuff!

gufcfan
13/03/2015, 10:10 AM
There is something about Cawleys voice/accent that isnt tv or radio friendly

Funny coming from someone from Dundalk.

ThePrisoner
13/03/2015, 10:35 AM
There is something about Cawleys voice/accent that isnt tv or radio friendly

That's it, have a pop at the Sligonians.

Reminds me of the Niall Toibin story about the American researcher in a Dundalk pub asking the customers about anti-Semitic views.

Nesta99
13/03/2015, 10:43 AM
Never hailed the Dundalk accent as easy on the ear! I guessed that would be the part of the post that would be picked out mind.

White Horse
13/03/2015, 10:44 AM
Never hailed the Dundalk accent as easy on the ear! I guessed that would be the part of the post that would be picked out mind.

It didn't do Jimmy Magee any harm.

It is not the general accent that is important, it is the individual's tone of voice. Crawley's does grate a bit, so it does.

A N Mouse
13/03/2015, 11:39 AM
In fairness the show is no longer about just the league.

That irish abroad bit was ok, definitely preferable to have it as a regular feature than randomly give twenty mins to the english leagues. Just keep highlighting all the former loi players. And the whole Duff thing was directly as a result of it, we could do with more of that kind of publicity once in a blue moon.

gufcfan
13/03/2015, 12:12 PM
In fairness the show is no longer about just the league.

The main gripes relate to the decision to relegate the actual football to a sideshow of the numerous pundits.

nigel-harps1954
06/04/2015, 11:21 PM
Is Soccer Republic available on RTÉ player? Can't seem to find it online, although I'm aware tonight's show probably isn't online yet.

Charlie Darwin
06/04/2015, 11:25 PM
Yes, it is available but probably won't be up until the morning.

Nesta99
07/04/2015, 1:46 AM
Was up when I had a look just after 1am night owl that I am. It is a little annoying to have music over the highlights for games like at Turners Cross that drowns out the roar of the crowd. It is great to see such a busy stadium and when Cork scored the full ground was obvious. The music on the other hand deflects a little from smaller crowds elsewhere. The marketing value to Turners Cross as an enclosed stadium, big crowd and obvious atmosphere is totally under used by the powers that be. The noise that can be generated in Oriel isnt too bad in a wide open ground, i'd love to experience it more enclosed too. Tallaght really needs the goal end more enclosed to maximise the modern ground impact. To make this thread a bit less off topic , the size of the crowd came across in the highlights even with the music...how much easier it would be to get a league wide bandwagon going if TV viewers were seeing this example more often. Richmond could be hopping with better crowds and would look great too the was it is on TV.

*Just watching SR there now properly and I was wrong about music over the highlights. Maybe I was thinking about the crammed commentary. Comparison sticks though, the sound of individual shouts, a drum, muted celebration after scoring at Tallaght and lost in the open ground as opposed to Turners Cross where the crowd row sounded as if the mics were distorting from the volume of the roar.

Charlie Darwin
07/04/2015, 1:55 AM
Tallaght really needs the goal end more enclosed to maximise the modern ground impact.
There are plans underway and funding ring-fenced to put a stand in at the Square end, to the best of my knowledge. Whether it will go ahead any time soon is another matter. But yeah, the openness of Tallaght does really detract from the atmosphere even when there's a big/loud away support.

Nesta99
07/04/2015, 2:28 AM
For the record I'm not having a go at Rovers or Tallaght, it just feels souless as ive mentioned before as the atmosphere gets lost. It sounded dead enough on the highlights tonight yet there was a reasonable crowd. A similar gate in Richmond Park would probably be comparable to Turners Cross for atmosphere. How hostile must it feel traveling to Cork as opposed to a bigger crowd in Tallaght yet less intimidating, inside the ground at least! United Park as a small compact ground when full is fierce at times.

Charlie Darwin
07/04/2015, 2:39 AM
No I get what you mean. I wouldn't call it "soulless" for obvious reasons but it certainly has been a challenge to make it a loud place, particularly while the crowds tumbled after the European adventure.

It was a flat atmosphere on Friday but that was in part due to a disappointing crowd and the fact a lot people were understandably not in a festive mood after Thursday's news. I think Richmond and Dalymount have similar problems though as they are quite open too, but the proximity of the away fans to the main stand helps in Dalyer. I can't comment on Turner's X as the only time I was there it wasn't a big crowd but from what I hear it's the best atmosphere around.

I think having a third stand in Tallaght would help, particularly if away fans are stationed there, but it won't solve the problem either of having 3,000 people in an 8,000-seater (post-expansion) stadium.

legendz
07/04/2015, 9:57 PM
RTÉ player is needed for the time Soccer Republic is on.

I don't think Rovers require a Tallaght Stadium expansion. The crowds aren't there to warrant it.

TonyD
08/04/2015, 6:42 PM
. I think Richmond and Dalymount have similar problems though as they are quite open too,

Disagree about Richmond. I wouldn't say it's open. It's a natural amphitheatre, capable of generating a great atmosphere with a decent crowd, which sadly we haven't seen too often lately. Hopefully there will be a good crowd for the visit of Cork on Friday.

Nesta99
08/04/2015, 6:53 PM
Disagree about Richmond. I wouldn't say it's open. It's a natural amphitheatre, capable of generating a great atmosphere with a decent crowd, which sadly we haven't seen too often lately. Hopefully there will be a good crowd for the visit of Cork on Friday.

Have to agree! A good crowd at Richmond Park generates one of the best atmospheres in the league.

On Cawley of recent shows he doesnt seem as frantic getting his point over. Maybe he takes a peek at foot.ie as the 'so it is' end to every sentence stopped soon after a bit of slagging too.

placid casual
08/04/2015, 6:55 PM
RTÉ player is needed for the time Soccer Republic is on.

I don't think Rovers require a Tallaght Stadium expansion. The crowds aren't there to warrant it.

The expansion is not at Rovers request, but the request of the SDCC council.
Rovers crowds are not relevant to the discussion

Charlie Darwin
08/04/2015, 6:57 PM
Disagree. I've been in various parts of the ground over the years (not just for Rovers) and I don't really hear anything from the SEI end. I don't think sound carries well at all there.

osarusan
08/04/2015, 7:16 PM
After Croly comments, he always has a sheepish, nervous smile and look at Collins as if to ask 'was that a good thing to say? Did I do ok?'

nigel-harps1954
08/04/2015, 7:43 PM
Disagree. I've been in various parts of the ground over the years (not just for Rovers) and I don't really hear anything from the SEI end. I don't think sound carries well at all there.

I'd agree with this. Cup semi-final last year, sound didn't carry well across the ground. Apart from the slow clap where the whole ground gets involved, atmosphere is quite poor in Richmond. Open grounds with no roofs kill sound, it just goes straight up into the air.

Charlie Darwin
08/04/2015, 9:05 PM
I'd agree with this. Cup semi-final last year, sound didn't carry well across the ground. Apart from the slow clap where the whole ground gets involved, atmosphere is quite poor in Richmond. Open grounds with no roofs kill sound, it just goes straight up into the air.
Ah slow down now, Pat Dolan...

nigel-harps1954
09/04/2015, 1:37 AM
Ah slow down now, Pat Dolan...

...sorry...what?

http://getnloose.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/patdolan.jpg

paykanti
09/04/2015, 2:44 PM
That interview with the Bray chairman :D

Turns out there wasn't an issue. Or there was an issue but there wasn't one on Tuesday, just an issue on Wednesday. But there's no issue with that because since there was no issue before and merely a small issue later, it's not an issue.

patrickccfc
09/04/2015, 6:22 PM
That interview with the Bray chairman :D

Turns out there wasn't a tissue. Or there was a tissue but there wasn't one on Tuesday, just a tissue on Wednesday. But there's no tissue with that because since there was no tissue before and merely a small tissue later, it's not a tissue.

I couldn't resist

Nesta99
09/04/2015, 11:10 PM
...sorry...what?

http://getnloose.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/patdolan.jpg

That is a most unfortunate photo of Pat with the whole hand to mouth blur things. I wonder was he as lghtening quick eating a certain ex Dundalk FC employee..

Dunny
09/04/2015, 11:21 PM
The Tony O'Donoghue interview with the Athlone chairman - Why play a music track over such an important and decent interview? That grated the ****** of me tbh.