PDA

View Full Version : Players release them, let them go....

showgies
23/11/2004, 10:51 AM
Players release according to the Sligo Sun....sorry Weekender:
Miller, Williams, Stracker, Jack, Jantac, Neary, Cassidy, Flynn, Scanlon, Peter O'Dwyer, Maloney & Quinn.

I am disappointed to see Miller & Williams leave, as I thought Miller was one of our better players and Williams was our most natural goal scorer, who never semmed to get a decent run in the team.

From the others, Flynn and Quinn had potential.

So it looks like we are stuck with Carr & Gorman..............at least there are a couple of chaps in the main stand that will be happy :D :D :D ...........

Redzer
23/11/2004, 1:26 PM
I'm also disappointed to see Miller leave. Williams was lacking body strength for this division. He was too easily dispossessed. Still he wasn't bad, I hope he brings in someone with height. That has been missing up front for a long time.( Jack dosn't count). Does this mean that McNamara is now committed to Rovers, and has given up the gaa? Is Sheridan in?

sligoman
23/11/2004, 5:52 PM
Ya, Miller,Flynn and Williams should still be here in my view.Who is Peter O'Dwyer :confused: ? Is this a misprint in Weekender and meant to be Barry?

redrov2005
24/11/2004, 1:39 AM
So this is the big clearout ? Eh hello !!

Of those leaving only Darren Jack started last Saturday against Limerick while Mark Cassidy came on at half time.

This is not a big clear out (certainly not in the Roddy Collins sense ) of players.

I'm still prepared to back the manager,but he made much of the fact over the last few weeks that he was looking at players to see how they performed.

So are we to take it that Fergus Quinn,Andy Neary and so on just didn't impress in training because they certainly didn't get a chance in the senior team.

He can't be seriously telling us that there are not better players out there than Gerry Carr and Gareth Gorman.

Someone suggested that Carr might be more involved with coaching.....eh perhaps i'm missing something here but isn't coaching the brief of Sean Connor\ Mickey Feeney..

Redzer
24/11/2004, 11:01 AM
Someone suggested that Carr might be more involved with coaching.....eh perhaps i'm missing something here but isn't coaching the brief of Sean Connor\ Mickey Feeney..
If Carr is involved in coaching the first team, then I think Mickey's responsibility will be the youth structure. I can't see them both coaching the first team. I also think it will be difficult holding on to Heffernan, surely he is good enough for the premier division. Another minus for him is that he not based in Sligo, but, then again if he gets players on loan from Birmingham. Where will they be based? Flying in for a game and then back afterwards!!!

Red4Eva
25/11/2004, 7:49 PM
Connor should go all out to keep heffo, we must keep our best player. It will cost us a fortune to bring in a player from england of his quality, we might as well spend the money on a proven player, who is now settled at the club instead of gambling on a player from england who will stay a season at best.

akearins
26/11/2004, 11:30 AM
I do believe the club and manager have the ambition for Premier division football so it baffles me that Connor has decided to honour Gorman with a contarct for doing absolutely nothing in every game he has been in charge of.Ok some might say he does it in training but you can be Pele on the training ground but if you cant do it on match night thats no good.It will do more harm than good I for one am not happy that my entry fee is going to his wages and alot more I'd asy agree. All we are guaranteed from him is a definite yellow card every game for late challenges because he pulls out of every challenge and shouting and roaring for no apparent reason.Mabe if the rules changed and we could spring him from the bench for frees and corners he should be kept but I thouight he would have been first out...
Letting Heffrenan go is absolutely ridiculous he is probably one one of 3 players up to the Premier division mark and we are leting him leave...

Sean Connor has tough job we all know that and hopefully everyone gets behind him and like Don used to say judge him on his palyers, so we will.
But from teh clubs angle I think contrracts shouold only have been given after Christmas when he kinow what players he had coming in brcause at present it looks to me as if he is covering his bases in case players do not come over, good for him but financially bad for the club....

Thats my sixpence worth

Redzer
26/11/2004, 1:28 PM
I dont know for sure, but my guess is that its Heffernan who is stalling on signing, rather than Conner not going after him. He would be hoping a premier div club comes looking for him. I said it before, if he only shows up for matchs and dosnt train with the rest of the team, its a big minus. That was agreed with O,Riardon but this man may have different ideas. It,s very unsatisfactory to have that going on. It also gets up the noses of the rest of the squad who have to show up for training 3 or 4 nights a week and one player can just show up on match days. I know he,s talanted, but I would rather see a complete squad training together. If that means bringing in a new player to replace Heffernan, then so be it. That,s my opinion.

sadloserkid
26/11/2004, 4:15 PM
I suspect that the apparently newly minted Limerick FC are gonna try and entice Heffo back into the fold with promises of promotion and whatever else he wants. Super super winger though.

showgies
26/11/2004, 4:43 PM
"Brendan Kennedy, Trevor Vaughan, Alan Mulcahy, Robbie Collins, Ray Scully and Alan Keely all return to the club, while Paul Shields, Robbie Hedderman, Philly Gorman and Alan Kelly have also been signed."

dublin city, from www.eleven-a-side.com

vaughan and scully are good signings. dublin city could be alright next year. i thought they might be totally rubbish for a couple of years.

drogheda are probably going to release andy myler cos he won't sign full-time. he'd be expensive but he's guaranteed goals

Ah...I wouldn't worry too much about Dublin City........I'll write two words...... Robbie Hedderman...enough said ;)

Rory H
27/11/2004, 11:24 AM
heffernan has the option to talk to any premier division club.....connor assumues he will go now,as do i