PDA

View Full Version : UCC Access

dahamsta
23/11/2004, 2:34 AM
I'm opening the site up to UCC again shortly, but heed this warning:

This is not the first time I've had to firewall the UCC netblock temporarily to deal with abuse coming from the college, but it will most certainly be the last. The next time it happens I will report the abuse to the UCC system administrators, who will almost certainly block access to the site from within UCC.

If you know who's causing trouble on the site and you want to continue using Foot.ie, you need to get across to them how unhappy you'll be if your access is cut off again, because the next time it will almost certainly be permanent, and it will be completely outside my control.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

adam

ccfcman
23/11/2004, 8:07 AM
Adam, see here (http://su.ucc.ie/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=588) , they are aware of said problem.

BeerBaron69
23/11/2004, 10:31 AM
Nice one Adam but the majority should not suffer because of one person-for many the ucc network is the only way to access foot

dahamsta
23/11/2004, 10:44 AM
Nice one Adam but the majority should not suffer because of one person-for many the ucc network is the only way to access footWhat about the other 2000 Foot.ie users? Should they suffer constant interruptions and personal abuse for the actions of one person in UCC? Foot.ie isn't all about Cork City or UCC, there's are plenty of other club and general eL fans too, plus a growing contingent of national team fans.

If UCC users had handled this internally when I asked them too, it would never have gone this far. You guys know who's causing the trouble, it's your responsibility to make sure it doesn't happen again.

adam

GavinZac
23/11/2004, 12:20 PM
You guys know who's causing the trouble, it's your responsibility to make sure it doesn't happen again.

and you dont?

its your responsibility. you can call the people who've posted the majority of the posts on your site retards, you can ban at least 60 people who use your site because of the actions of one, but to say its the responsibilty of the users to sort out the mess... what do you want us to do, threaten him with violence? oh wait you've done that already...

dahamsta
23/11/2004, 12:39 PM
and you dont?I'm looking at the bit you quoted and your reply, and the two don't quite fit together. Don't what? Eh? Hello? Bit of sense there please?

its your responsibilityNuh-uh.

you can call the people who've posted the majority of the posts on your site retardsNuh-uh. Unless you think the half dozen Foot.ie users I did in fact call retards posted "the majority of posts". Colm there was one of the more significant posters I think, were you broken-hearted about it Colm? Did you go crying to mommy about the nasty man calling you names?

you can ban at least 60 people who use your site because of the actions of oneIs it a dozen or a hundred or sixty? The figures seem to wander around wildly!

but to say its the responsibilty of the users to sort out the mess... what do you want us to do, threaten him with violence?I don't care what ya do boy, all I'm saying is that if you or someone else doesn't make it clear to that spastic you all don't have to balls to deal with that he's not welcome on Foot.ie, I'm going to give the UCC sysops a heads-up about the abuse, and I reckon their way of dealing with it will be simply block the site completely. It'll be your loss, not mine. Course if you're not up to the job you only have to say so, I'm sure some big strong man will stand up for you.

oh wait you've done that already...Aww boo-hoo, I made a naughty by threatening teh nasty man with teh leg breaker. :rolleyes: The hypocrisy is stunning considering some of the things I've heard shouted and sung at City matches. We're all hypocrites, everyone does it once in a while, get over yourself.

adam

green goblin
23/11/2004, 12:44 PM
I'm sure that no one here is advocating the use of violence. Or indeed of any other criminal activity.

GavinZac
23/11/2004, 12:47 PM
I'm looking at the bit you quoted and your reply, and the two don't quite fit together. Don't what? Eh?

You know exactly who it was that was causing trouble.

Nuh-uh. Unless you think the half dozen Foot.ie users I did in fact call retards posted "the majority of posts". Colm there was one of the more significant posters I think, were you broken-hearted about it Colm? Did you go crying to mommy about the nasty man calling you names?

I said you can, dont have a whole lot of worry about your opinion on colm or anyone else, but then again the cork city fans 'made' your site... and how many times do i have to listen to that sh!te about attack the post not the poster when you dont seem to care?

Is it a dozen or a hundred or sixty? The figures seem to wander around wildly!

I said sixty because thats the number of people in the Cork City Supporters Society, who've been using shedend.com and foot.ie as their main source of info about meetings & buses etc.

I don't care what ya do boy, all I'm saying is that if you or someone else doesn't, I'm going to give the UCC sysops a heads-up about the abuse, and I reckon their way of dealing with it will be simply block Foot.ie completely. It'll be your loss, not mine. Course if you're not up to the job you only have to say so, I'm sure some big strong man will stand up for you.

Crap i should have decked him so earlier when he was sitting next to me.

Aww boo-hoo, I made a naughty by threatening teh nasty man with teh leg breaker. :rolleyes:

ILL BREAK YOUR LEG. is that ok to post now, seen as this is coming from 'teh' admin?

Gary
23/11/2004, 12:48 PM
Fúck sake lads, stop fighting please, its doing no one any good.

dahamsta
23/11/2004, 12:53 PM
You know exactly who it was that was causing trouble.Actually I don't. And I don't care. But feel free to post the details here, no-one else has the guts to, at least not without evidence.

how many times do i have to listen to that sh!te about attack the post not the poster when you dont seem to care?I'm not attacking you, I'm attacking your post, piece by piece, line by line. It's not very difficult really.

Crap i should have decked him so earlier when he was sitting next to me.Like I said boy, I don't care what you do. But here's a suggestion: Try turning around to him and asking him to stop acting the maggot on the site. He's the one responsible, why are you arguing with me?

ILL BREAK YOUR LEG. is that ok to post now, seen as this is coming from 'teh' admin?Har har, logic personified. If you don't like the admins here, you know what to do. Ta ta.

adam

Peadar
23/11/2004, 12:53 PM
its doing no one any good.

It's passing away the day for me. :)

dahamsta
23/11/2004, 12:54 PM
I'm having tremendous fun! And I have to say how delighted I am that I opened the site back up to UCC, because the level of intelligent debate has just risen by 110%! It's like being in a room full of Albert Einstein's! :)

adam

GavinZac
23/11/2004, 12:57 PM
Actually I don't. And I don't care. But feel free to post the details here, no-one else has the guts to, at least not without evidence.

strange, you banned him and yet you dont know which one it is...

I'm not attacking you, I'm attacking your post, piece by piece, line by line. It's not very difficult really.

I was talking about when you called your users retards, and plebs

He's the one responsible, why are you arguing with me?

Because you needlessly banned UCC for something trivial, get all worked up when xtreme rebel winds you up, and yet still expect people NOT to follow your example.

Har har, logic personified. If you don't like the admins here, you know what to do.

I think you've been doing corkcityfc.ie huge favours recently, their forum has really taken off...

dahamsta
23/11/2004, 1:29 PM
strange, you banned him and yet you dont know which one it is...I know which users I banned and/or deleted, but unfortunately the psychic powers I usually use to divine users real identities are on the blink at the moment.

I was talking about when you called your users retards, and plebsAnd I'd point you the last point in my second-last post again, about hypocrisy. I've already pointed out on Foot.ie that just like everyone else, I'm prone to crack every once in a while. You'd know this if you researched this issue before jumping in with your 0.02c.

Because you needlessly banned UCC for something trivialSomehow I doubt you'd call it trivial if it happened on your site.

get all worked up when xtreme rebel winds you upI don't get in the least bit worked up about xr, he's an infinitesimal speck on my radar. I have better things to do with my time than worry about pig-ignorant space cadets like that.

I don't know where you all get this idea that Foot.ie is the center of my or anyone else's universe, it's like ye live in a fantasy world. If people push me I'll ban them and I'll occasionally - very occasionally - call them names, but when I'm done with that I'll go and have a cup of tea or watch the telly like everyone else. It's just a website lads, like, get over it.

and yet still expect people NOT to follow your example.How many times have I called a small group of users retards in the fice years Foot.ie has been running. Use the search engine there chappy, I'll wait here for you. If calling users that knowingly broke the rules retards once in a blue moon makes you feel all sad and lonely, I think you'd be better off on another site. Thank god JW's forum is gone, you'd prolly get suicidal.

I think you've been doing corkcityfc.ie huge favours recently, their forum has really taken off...Yeah, wow, like I'm gutted man.

adam

GavinZac
23/11/2004, 1:40 PM
so to summarise, adam, foot.ie is just something you do when you feel like it. grand. more power to ya, hope your amazon wishlist is fulfilled.

but you were wrong to ban UCC on the basis of one user logging in as his friend. i wouldnt ban UCC on the basis of that. XR signs in as Vitamin D, i havent banned UCC yet. thats my 2c. and you could do with sorting out soem of the people you have as moderators. im not really perturbed about you callign anyone a retard, i do after all frequent www.genmay.com , but hypocrisy and hiding behind your intarweb superpowers are inditements of not the all powerful dahamsta-admin, but the man sitting in front of his computer.

dahamsta
23/11/2004, 1:59 PM
so to summarise, adam, foot.ie is just something you do when you feel like it.Bit of a stretch, but I guess you could fit how I feel about Foot.ie into that if I twisted things around a bit. I reckon I spend an average of about an hour every day dealing with Foot.ie, so I guess I feel like it quite a lot.

more power to ya, hope your amazon wishlist is fulfilledOnly two posters here have ever sent somethings from my wishlist - more power to em - so I guess it musn't be about the money either.

but you were wrong to ban UCC on the basis of one user logging in as his friendIn your opinion.

i wouldnt ban UCC on the basis of that.And that's your decision to take on your site.

XR signs in as Vitamin D, i havent banned UCC yetSince when is this all about XR? Are you saying that XR is the person solely responsible for the trolling on Foot.ie? Has XR taken over the account of a supermod on your site? Would you find that acceptable behaviour?

and you could do with sorting out soem of the people you have as moderators.Again, research please. If you look back at the other threads about this issue you'll see that I welcome complaints about both users and moderators. I've received literally dozens of complaints about the users that have been banned, and that's why they have been banned. I've received one complaint about a moderator, and the user that complained was unable to back up their accusations.

If you have evidence of moderator - or any - abuse, you can use the Report This Post button next to every single post on the site, or of course you can start a thread in this very forum. But throwing complaints into a thread like this isn't really a valid procedure, wouldn't you agree?

im not really perturbed about you callign anyone a retard, i do after all frequent www.genmay.com (http://www.genmay.com/)Ah, but are you an AEC member!? ;)

but hypocrisy and hiding behind your intarweb superpowers are inditements of not the all powerful dahamsta-admin, but the man sitting in front of his computer.I don't really understand this, but I think you're basically saying that I'm a hypocrite and possibly a coward. I've already addressed the hypocrisy bit, more than once, and I don't really get the coward thing so I guess I'll just let that lie.

adam

GavinZac
23/11/2004, 2:07 PM
Ive back you up a lot in the past adam, but the UCC thing was wrong, that is my opinion, but you made the decision because you thought it was best for your site.
lets leave it at that, dont want to make myself seem too worried about this, was just something to pass the time until my next lecture for which im now 5 minutes late :( damn you foot.ie you've cost me many lectures.

and no, im not an AEC member :(

SÓC
23/11/2004, 9:18 PM
Not sure if you're aware of this Adam but every user in UCC now needs their own indivual log-on to access the computers-the internet-foot.ie.

Im not with it on techie stuff but AFAIK you can trace the ips and the id of each computer, the time of the log-on etc. If that info was passed on to UCC admin they'd have the person in the real world by the liathróidí. The trolls wouldnt be long stopping if they though their UCC access/library usage/degree was under threat!

dahamsta
24/11/2004, 2:28 AM
I was actually aware of that SÓC, my concern would be that if the issue is reported to them they'd firewall the netblock, which would put it out of my control completely. This has happened before, and is why Foot.ie sits on an aliased IP [64.246.46.218] on the server these days, rather than the primary IP [64.246.46.13]. I had to move it because the sysops blocked the site and UCC users asked me to find a way around it. Seems like a wasted effort these days...

adam

SÓC
24/11/2004, 8:37 AM
Fair enough but if the troll was to re-appear a quick pm to him made up of his student number and a few choice words would keep them quiet.

dahamsta
24/11/2004, 9:07 AM
I can't get their student number SÓC, just the IP address. The sysops can use that and the posting time to find out who was logged on, but obviously it would require my telling them.

adam

BeerBaron69
24/11/2004, 10:06 AM
What about the other 2000 Foot.ie users? Should they suffer constant interruptions and personal abuse for the actions of one person in UCC? Foot.ie isn't all about Cork City or UCC, there's are plenty of other club and general eL fans too, plus a growing contingent of national team fans.

If UCC users had handled this internally when I asked them too, it would never have gone this far. You guys know who's causing the trouble, it's your responsibility to make sure it doesn't happen again.

adam

I see your point about the other 2000 users- fair enough-I cant argue with that!

However I personally do not know the person responsible-you claim we all do-theres over 14000 people in ucc for Christs sake! All Im saying is that it was unfair of you to ban UCC users on the basis of one person on the day when Cork City could have potentially won the league-all true City fans were drooling at the prospect of a league win and I personally wanted to interact with other fans to experience the pre-match buzz-I was a little disappointed-actually pis*ed off to tell the truth that of all the days to pick you picked that one. I wont go as far as to say you ruined the day for me but it was a little tainted

dahamsta
24/11/2004, 11:37 AM
of all the days to pick you picked that oneThat's a ridiculous assertion, I didn't "pick" anything, our good buddy in UCC did. And with that I'll leave this thread, it's going nowhere.

adam

BeerBaron69
25/11/2004, 10:08 AM
Fair enough Ive wronged you and am happy to put it right

GavinZac
25/11/2004, 11:39 AM
our good buddy in UCC did

by which you mean guerzy, not the SIT admin, right?

GavinZac
27/11/2004, 9:26 AM
i can hear that tune from the old western film "hang em high"

well he knows it was guerzy (he banned him) but he doesnt know who guerzy is, does he :D