PDA

View Full Version : Eircom League Weekly Tonight

Pages : [1] 2

dcfcsteve
22/11/2004, 11:25 PM
A good effort by TV3 with Eircom League Weekly tonight- a one hour show, coverage of all games in the Prem from the weekend, along with the key Harps game, and good as well to see coverage of the U21 final. Some good banter between Rico and King to tie it all together with a touch of humour. A good effort.

A face
22/11/2004, 11:49 PM
Yeah ... fair play .... if the programme asked more player/fan opinions and had a goal of the month comp. And maybe even stick in some papers/columns in there aswell, it would be great ... it needs to be an hour long, the first is starved of coverage and it really needs it.

Maz
23/11/2004, 8:10 AM
Compared to last year it was rubbish! Fair play to Shelbourne et all involved but for gods the hour was totally dedicated to them, King goes on bout other teams etc and his team of the season is practically Shels and Bohs, and the bohs players are all officially shels players now!

Rovers Fellow!
23/11/2004, 8:29 AM
True, it should be an hour long every week, not just the last week of the season, when you consider some of the crap tv3 has on, Im sure a good Eircom weekly programme will be more popular even among non EL fans.

thecorner
23/11/2004, 8:35 AM
Compared to last year it was rubbish! Fair play to Shelbourne et all involved but for gods the hour was totally dedicated to them, King goes on bout other teams etc and his team of the season is practically Shels and Bohs, and the bohs players are all officially shels players now!

what was his team of the season

trevy
23/11/2004, 8:44 AM
I didn't stay up for it last night.Who won the goal of the season award?

Maz
23/11/2004, 8:45 AM
S Williams,
O Heary, ?, S grey, Hawkins,
K Doyle, S Byrne, ?, Ryan,
G Crowe, J Byrne

twas something along those lines, sorry dont remember the exact team but was just raged when i saw it like!

dcfcsteve
23/11/2004, 8:58 AM
To be fair, the team that Shels have now since their latest signings genuinely does have the league's best players in a decent number of positions ! You can't blame King for being a realist !

Caffrey of Bohs won goal of the month for his volley.

paudie
23/11/2004, 9:00 AM
S Williams,
O Heary, ?, S grey, Hawkins,
K Doyle, S Byrne, ?, Ryan,
G Crowe, J Byrne

twas something along those lines, sorry dont remember the exact team but was just raged when i saw it like!

I think Alan Moore was the other midfielder and Dave Rogers was in the back 4 as a full back, even though he doesn't play there :confused:

Rico had Devine in goal and a 3 man front line of Doyle, Crowe and Byrne. a few other differences as well that i can't remember.

Caffrey's goal against Pats was goal of the season

pineapple stu
23/11/2004, 9:07 AM
Only remember that King had nine current Shels players and Rico had seven! :eek:

To be honest, I turned the sound off when they started having their chat. If I want to watch a chat show, I can watch the Late Late or Parkinson or something. I just want to see the football. The quarter-hour they spent yapping could have been spent on Longford-Drogheda (they usually get the Monday games in in time), UCD-Kilkenny or longer highlights from the other games.

Did anyone else find it really annoying that yer man on the Cork-Bohs game was commentating about five seconds ahead of the action? Okay, I know what's going to happen, but still...!

Dillo
23/11/2004, 9:12 AM
I didn't stay up for it last night.Who won the goal of the season award?

Stephen Caffrey got goal of the season. It was a cracker and well deserved. Can't understand why Dillo or Prunty didn't get on the Team of The Year.... probably because they play for Longford. :(
I'd nearly have one of those two on it ahead of Barry Ferguson.

thejollyrodger
23/11/2004, 12:33 PM
I thought it was a really good effort by TV3. The hour flew by to be honest and there was a real case for making it an hour once a week. Maybe a few emails to TV3 might work.

The banter was good and there was lots of humour and a few good points discussed like progress in Europe, more professional E.L et cetra.

I was going to agree about Shels almost having the best XI in the league !!

wws
23/11/2004, 12:44 PM
Rico and King were on song last night - good banter

I'm beginning to warm to this pair! sh;t football managers but great football bantermen!

Éanna
23/11/2004, 12:52 PM
nothing involving noel king is good, or even acceptable. the man is utterly repugnant. he has no idea what he's talking about, and all he does is go one about dublin this, dublin that, i'm great blh blah blah. horrid little man. rico on the other hand, knows his stuff and can be entertaining at times.

pete
23/11/2004, 2:44 PM
Show was let down again by Kings Shel$ bias.

We all know shel$ worthy champions but King wouldn't even acknowledge Ricos point that there was a chance they could have finished 2nd & would have been screwed with expense of new signings. :rolleyes:

Dare i say it but Roddy was better than King as at least he knows something.

Kinger:

Williams
Heary, Harris, Grey, Rogers
Doyle, Byrne, Moore, Hoolahan
Crowe, Byrne

Rico:

Devine
Heary, Ferguson, Rogers or Harris? Frost
???, Byrne, Ryan
Doyle, Crowe, Byrne

King puts Doyler on right wing where he not a fraction of the player he is when playing in attack.

Colm
23/11/2004, 2:46 PM
I thought the show was very entertaining last night and even though Noel King is a muppet who has a chip on his shoulder about Cork City I thought that the banter between him and Rico was excellent.
It's just a pity Trev wasn't presenting it as he'd have given a Cork dimension to the show.

thejollyrodger
23/11/2004, 3:02 PM
agreed about the King comments. TV3 could do with trying to make the show a little more professional next season and look for a better pundit. ;)

Ringo
23/11/2004, 3:05 PM
agreed about the King comments. TV3 could do with trying to make the show a little more professional next season and look for a better pundit. ;)

How about Roddy Collins , a true professional & an honest pundit :D

Éanna
23/11/2004, 3:27 PM
as long as someone reminds roddy that TV3 studios are not his local job centre, he wouldn't be too bad :rolleyes:

NY Hoop
23/11/2004, 4:09 PM
Thought it was rubbish. Wasnt even an hour and they could have cut out the senseless slagging of each other on it. I dont watch it for that. Can get that anywhere!

At the Waterford V Derry game there was a missed peno by a keeper and a sending off and all they show is the goal?! They spent more time interviewing roddy than showing our game!

The whole thing needs to be turned around. It should be at 10pm for an hour with different guests and show ALL the premier games EVERY week for at least a couple of minutes each not a few seconds. How about a Goal of the Month? Where is the fans view that was on last year?

Also it should be repeated at a normal hour not at 5.50am. Emailed them re these suggestions and the mail bounced back :D

KOH

A face
23/11/2004, 4:42 PM
I think everyone is agreed that it was better.

Dillo
23/11/2004, 4:53 PM
In fairness to them, they done their best. They should have had highlights of the Town/Drogs game though seeing it was the final game of the season and all. All in all though it wasn't bad. But Jaysus when King and Richardson get together they can talk some amount of sh!te at times! :rolleyes:

thecorner
23/11/2004, 6:03 PM
how is crowe making their team of the season....he didnt have a great season at all....

Pablo
23/11/2004, 6:31 PM
I'd love to know what Kings problem with Cork is. he's a small minded scumbag

Slash/ED
23/11/2004, 6:33 PM
how is crowe making their team of the season....he didnt have a great season at all....

Second highest goal scorer all the same.

Pablo
23/11/2004, 6:34 PM
Second highest goal scorer all the same.

he's great now he's a shels player sure

Slash/ED
23/11/2004, 6:35 PM
he's great now he's a shels player sure

He's world class now. I used to think he was fat and ginger now I've suddenly realised he's well built and strawberry blonde.

Pablo
23/11/2004, 6:37 PM
He's world class now. I used to think he was fat and ginger now I've suddenly realised he's well built and strawberry blonde.

now he wont even have to worry about refs cause they'll all be on his side.

not to mention the generous john player blue allowance from ollie

Slash/ED
23/11/2004, 6:38 PM
now he wont even have to worry about refs cause they'll all be on his side.

Yeah the bias shown towards Shels last friday from the ref in Richmond was almost sickening tbh.

Pablo
23/11/2004, 6:42 PM
Yeah the bias shown towards Shels last friday from the ref in Richmond was almost sickening tbh.

ye had stokes paid off too

Slash/ED
23/11/2004, 7:00 PM
ye had stokes paid off too

Yes, we 'paid off' Stokes and then didn't bother 'paying off' the ref of our own match. The bitter Cork conspiracy theorys get more and more pathetic by the day.

Pablo
23/11/2004, 7:02 PM
Yes, we 'paid off' Stokes and then didn't bother 'paying off' the ref of our own match. The bitter Cork conspiracy theorys get more and more pathetic by the day.

you'd be bitter two if the autorities were heavilly biased against you

ShelsTim
23/11/2004, 7:03 PM
Rico and King's banter, while funny, couldn't last for the whole series and the good points they made about europe, professionalism etc. will get stale quickly if repeated over the season. An hour show could work, but not like that one and I doubt they'll have it for next year, that one was too much of a 'once-off'. But, why didn't TV3 have more games this season? They have preference, yet missed all the big games, can they not afford it or something?

And if you want to show TV3 that there's support for an hour long show, info@tv3.ie

Slash/ED
23/11/2004, 7:05 PM
you'd be bitter two if the autorities were heavilly biased against you

If you want to see 'heavily biased' officiating, try some of the unbeliveble decisions McKeown made in favour of pats on friday. The referees here aren't biased, they're just ****. They're not competent enough to actually be biased.

Pablo
23/11/2004, 7:06 PM
If you want to see 'heavily biased' officiating, try some of the unbeliveble decisions McKeown made in favour of pats on friday. The referees here aren't biased, they're just ****. They're not competent enough to actually be biased.

do you think its fair that dublin ref are involved when dublin teams play?

Slash/ED
23/11/2004, 7:10 PM
do you think its fair that dublin ref are involved when dublin teams play?

No, but I don't think they're biased, or have ever shown themselves to be, they're normally shocking for both teams. I'd keep Dublin refs in Dublin V Non Dublin games to a minimum but do we have the resources to be able to referee all Dublin V Non Dublin games with non Dublin refs?

Pablo
23/11/2004, 7:12 PM
No, but I don't think they're biased, or have ever shown themselves to be, they're normally shocking for both teams. I'd keep Dublin refs in Dublin V Non Dublin games to a minimum but do we have the resources to be able to referee all Dublin V Non Dublin games with non Dublin refs?

how about a cork ref when ye come to cork?

Slash/ED
23/11/2004, 7:14 PM
how about a cork ref when ye come to cork?

I don't care who were playing but it's painful seing Buttimer referee a match. He's one of the worst of a pathetic bunch. I'd have no complaints if Kelly refereed a Cork Shels game.

Pablo
23/11/2004, 7:16 PM
I don't care who were playing but it's painful seing Buttimer referee a match. He's one of the worst of a pathetic bunch. I'd have no complaints if Kelly refereed a Cork Shels game.

and you think billy and ollie would like it?

Slash/ED
23/11/2004, 7:17 PM
and you think billy and ollie would like it?

good one :rolleyes:

I don't know, unless in the match he showed any bias towards Cork I doubt they'd mine. It's not like we need a ref to help us take points off you :)

Pablo
23/11/2004, 7:20 PM
I don't know, unless in the match he showed any bias towards Cork

there you go. thats why we're annoyed

Slash/ED
23/11/2004, 7:22 PM
there you go. thats why we're annoyed

Well I've never seen bias towards Dublin teams by Dublin refs. Gross imcompetency yes, but not bias.

Pablo
23/11/2004, 7:25 PM
Well I've never seen bias towards Dublin teams by Dublin refs. Gross imcompetency yes, but not bias.

Take the blinkers off :rolleyes:

Slash/ED
23/11/2004, 7:27 PM
Take the blinkers off :rolleyes:

That's ironic coming after the Everybodys out to get Cork! Shels paid the ref on friday! type posts.

Poor Student
23/11/2004, 7:40 PM
Eh, a Cork ref reffing games with Cork is not comparable. Over quarter of the population lives in Dublin plus 6 clubs, 7 if you count Bray. Considering we are also one of the more footballing parts of the country we're going to be supplying more refs. Now if you want to make sure no Dub refs a Dub club (which in itself is strange, as it's a suggestion that all Dubs lean towards Dub clubs, and surely if one leans towards a club they most like don't like most or all of the others) it's going to be bloody difficult. Whereas there are only two Cork clubs which don't appear to even dislike each other, and chances are a Corkonian leans towards Cork. Far less ambiguous. I'm not suggesting any or all Cork refs are biased but it would leave an incompetent referee far more open to looking biased.

Pablo
23/11/2004, 7:50 PM
why not remove that element of doubt? its unheard of in any other league.

i'm sure theres enough refs to cover two maybe 3 games thats would involve a team outside the Pale

Éanna
23/11/2004, 7:57 PM
why not remove that element of doubt? its unheard of in any other league.
spot on. its that element of doubt thats the problem.

Éanna
23/11/2004, 7:59 PM
Whereas there are only two Cork clubs which don't appear to even dislike each other, and chances are a Corkonian leans towards Cork. Far less ambiguous. I'm not suggesting any or all Cork refs are biased but it would leave an incompetent referee far more open to looking biased.
no chance. it just shouldn't happen that a ref is from the same area as EITHER team. I think having a cork ref for a game v a dublin club is exactly the same level of doubt

Stevo Da Gull
23/11/2004, 8:28 PM
[QUOTE=Slash/ED] it's painful seing Buttimer referee a match. He's one of the worst of a pathetic bunch. /[QUOTE]

Amen to that!

Poor Student
23/11/2004, 10:58 PM
no chance. it just shouldn't happen that a ref is from the same area as EITHER team. I think having a cork ref for a game v a dublin club is exactly the same level of doubt

I am from Dublin but I don't consider myself from the same area as Bohs, Dub City or Shelbourne. It's a big place with plenty of clubs. Cork is smaller in population and essentially has only one big team. It is not a comparable situation. I would not have someone from Drumcondra referee Shelbourne, but it should be no problem to someone from say Templeogue to ref a Bohs game.