PDA

View Full Version : Under 21 Final

Pages : [1] 2

CollegeTillIDie
20/11/2004, 9:05 AM
Hard luck on Friday night but ye're first team had a good season and are in pole position to win the League next year... on to more pressing matters..

The Under 21 Final is tomorrow @ 3:30 in Belfield Park... The Jury's Montrose does a nice carvery lunch between 12:30 and 2:30 and is reasonably priced.

Hope to see a fair number of ye at the match.... but obviously ccfcgirl, niamh etc would be particularly welcome ! :D

COme on the College :)

Ruairi
21/11/2004, 3:04 PM
City 1-0 UCD

Shane long after 20 mins

Éanna
21/11/2004, 3:35 PM
half time its 1-1. UCD equalised from a penalty after a foul by lopez

Ruairi
21/11/2004, 4:04 PM
and shane long's gone off with a suspected broken leg :(

Poor Student
21/11/2004, 4:06 PM
and shane long's gone off with a suspected broken leg :(

Sorry to hear lads, hope we didn't do anything reckless. :(

Éanna
21/11/2004, 4:10 PM
2-1 UCD apparently. another penalty and mcnulty sent off. my source tells me there were some fairly heavy tackles coming and the ref did nothing about it

Éanna
21/11/2004, 4:11 PM
2-2. behan free kick. come on city!!!

Poor Student
21/11/2004, 4:14 PM
Damn, pity I missed this one due to work, sounds good. Must be heading into extra time?

Ruairi
21/11/2004, 4:22 PM
3-2 ucd

Poor Student
21/11/2004, 4:24 PM
Full time? Rgula time? Extra time?

Poor Student
21/11/2004, 4:36 PM
Full time I see. Hard luck lads. It had to be double heart break for one of us this weekend. The important thing is though that for the third year in a row you've had a great U-21 team. It'll serve us well as it has you already. Good luck next season.

Ruairi
21/11/2004, 5:06 PM
congrats to UCD, sounded like a cracker of a game. pity about the result though :)

Used2BHibs Fan
21/11/2004, 5:16 PM
Once again Bellfeld proves to be a graveyard for City - Ref Tom Connolly managed to be even worse than Stokes when he allowed UCD to kick city around for most of the match, the tackle that ended Shane Long's participation in the match was the 2nd on him and how he did not red card the UCD player was beyond belief. Of the City team only Beehan seemed to be up to getting stuck in although in the second half Kevin Murray was strong in a number of tackles. Have not seen Lopez this year but today he touch was poor,he does not get into tackles and his distribution left a lot to be desired. The sending off of McNulty added to the ref's day of shame with at least 1 city defender goal side of McNulty when he foulded the UCD player. One of the City centre halfs was struck in the face off the ball which neither the ref nor the linesman saw - the killer part of this was that the same player Conor Sammon went on to score the winning goal for UCD.

There was about 60 to 70 City fans at the match which was not even matched by the Students who showed that they have very little support.

Overall it was a poor city performance not helped by a woefull ref..............

Hope that Shane Long did not get a broken ankle/leg and that some of this team will be back next year.

Mick Devine need not worry that Stephen O Flynn will challange him for the Keepers Jersey next year but I hope that SOF can meet up with JOF and co and do city proud again next year.

Watch out for the ref named Tom Connolly and hope that City do not get to see much of him next year.

CollegeTillIDie
21/11/2004, 6:06 PM
Once again Bellfeld proves to be a graveyard for City - Ref Tom Connolly managed to be even worse than Stokes when he allowed UCD to kick city around for most of the match, the tackle that ended Shane Long's participation in the match was the 2nd on him and how he did not red card the UCD player was beyond belief. Of the City team only Beehan seemed to be up to getting stuck in although in the second half Kevin Murray was strong in a number of tackles. Have not seen Lopez this year but today he touch was poor,he does not get into tackles and his distribution left a lot to be desired. The sending off of McNulty added to the ref's day of shame with at least 1 city defender goal side of McNulty when he foulded the UCD player. One of the City centre halfs was struck in the face off the ball which neither the ref nor the linesman saw - the killer part of this was that the same player Conor Sammon went on to score the winning goal for UCD.

There was about 60 to 70 City fans at the match which was not even matched by the Students who showed that they have very little support.

Overall it was a poor city performance not helped by a woefull ref..............

Hope that Shane Long did not get a broken ankle/leg and that some of this team will be back next year.

Mick Devine need not worry that Stephen O Flynn will challange him for the Keepers Jersey next year but I hope that SOF can meet up with JOF and co and do city proud again next year.

Watch out for the ref named Tom Connolly and hope that City do not get to see much of him next year.

For the record considerably less than 1/4 of our regular support was at the game. There was quite a decent crowd for an Under 21 game . And I thought personally there were more than 70 City fans at the game . Seemed to be nearer the 100 mark to my eyes anyway.

P.S. City were physical very physical. The worst shower we have seen in Belfield since the 1998 vintage Limerick FC... so if we kicked we gave as good as we received

patsh
22/11/2004, 7:37 AM
City were physical very physical. The worst shower we have seen in Belfield since the 1998 vintage Limerick FC... so if we kicked we gave as good as we receivedGo way ya l*nger.....:rolleyes:
City SHOULD have dished it out, I would like to have seen how a bunch of diving, whinging thugs would have taken some of the treatment they dished out themselves.

btw, How did all the members of the "Abbeyleix Thirteen" finish out their night?..;)

pineapple stu
22/11/2004, 8:47 AM
Was in Belfield couple of weeks ago and was hardly anyone there. If you define regular support as less than 100 then fair enough.

There were 350 at that game, not 100. Please don't post false attendances to get a cheap dig at the club again.

So there were 60/70 Cork fans, less UCD fans than that and yet 350-400 at the game? Sounds like the kind of maths which means Hibs aren't around any more...

Ref Tom Connolly managed to be even worse than Stokes when he allowed UCD to kick city around for most of the match

Don't be stupid. Cork were the dirtiest team I've seen all season. Yes, we put in a couple of heavy challenges, but the majority were coming from Cork. I've not seen a more indisciplined team all season (well, maybe Cobh) - four yellows and at least three reds - your entire bench was sent off almost! (Certainly assistant manager and at least one sub) Cork are a decent team, but they got what they deserved from not having a sub keeper on the bench. The foul for the second penalty (which saw the keeper sent off) was as cynical as they come. Gannon was kicked out of it with a nasty late challenge in the second half - ref didn't even book the Cork number 9 - and was wrestled to the ground as well. Course the Cork fans were quick to abuse any UCD player as being a cheat without paying any heed to whether he was hurt or not, which I find disgusting. If you are going to defend that sort of behaviour by putting all the blame on us and turning a blind eye on your part, then there's a problem there which needs to be addressed.

City SHOULD have dished it out

Think that sums you lot up - arrogant and filthy for no good reason. Even our players were commenting on that after the match - said it made them even more up for the match.

The better team lost on the night, but the more disciplined team won and deserved it.

patsh
22/11/2004, 10:05 AM
Think that sums you lot up - arrogant and filthy for no good reason. Even our players were commenting on that after the match - said it made them even more up for the match.Go away ya pr*ck and take your blinkers off.
UCD put a team of cheats and thugs on the field yesterday...
"even our players were commenting after the game....":rolleyes:
Did any of them give a further display of diving, the old elbowin the face trick or how to kick a player on the ground so hard that a suspected broken leg is the outcome?
It would have been nice to congratulate a side who deserved to win, but you didn't so I won't

pineapple stu
22/11/2004, 10:16 AM
Go away ya pr*ck and take your blinkers off.

Wow, what a literate, cogent argument. You've just won the entire argument with that. :rolleyes: Idiot. Attack the post and not the poster.

how to kick a player on the ground so hard that a suspected broken leg is the outcome?

The player doesn't have a broken leg - he was walking on the leg at the end of the match, sure! (Admittedly with help, but he wouldn't have been walking at all with a broken leg). It's an ankle injury as far as I know, and he managed to go home on the team bus and will get a check down in Cork. So it's nowhere near as serious as you make it out to be. And I've admitted it was a bad tackle. Maybe you'd like to stop being bad losers and admit that your players gave out most of the filthy tackles?

Purely for their discipline and overly physical style of play, Cork did not deserve to win that match. Cork were the better team, but we deserved to win, by default if for no other reason. It's sad that you can't bring yourself to criticise your team and admit that fact.

patsh
22/11/2004, 10:23 AM
It's sad that you can't bring yourself to criticise your team.Well, idiot, you've summed yourself up nicely there.

pineapple stu
22/11/2004, 10:27 AM
Well, idiot, you've summed yourself up nicely there.

How?

All I see is you attacking the poster and not the post again. And making absolutely no points to back your "argument" up.

patsh
22/11/2004, 10:53 AM
All I see is you attacking the poster and not the post again. And making absolutely no points to back your "argument" up.Again, enough about you......

pineapple stu
22/11/2004, 10:57 AM
Again, enough about you......

:confused: :rolleyes:

patsh
22/11/2004, 11:02 AM
:confused: :rolleyes:Yawwwwnnnnnnnnnn

joe
22/11/2004, 1:07 PM
There were 350 at that game, not 100.

Is that the official attendance? Just wondering because it doesn't match up with the share of the gate that City were given.

pineapple stu
22/11/2004, 1:24 PM
Is that the official attendance? Just wondering because it doesn't match up with the share of the gate that City were given.

Nope - that's just a hungover guesstimate. Though I thought there had at least been as many, if not more, than at the Kilkenny game. Didn't bother counting this time... It also would include freebies.

joe - he's referring to attendance at the sligo rovers game. and i can tell you now for a fact there definitely was never 350 there.

At most I would say maybe 200. If they cant get that many for their first team then hardly gonna get anything like that for under 21 game.

The attendance v. Sligo was hand-counted and was 342, if memory serves. It's down as 300 on your own website. There were a few from other clubs at the game on Sunday, which would bring up the crowd as well.

patsh
22/11/2004, 1:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsh
There were 350 at that game, not 100. Please don't post false attendances to get a cheap dig at the club again.

I did not post this.

pineapple stu
22/11/2004, 1:39 PM
I did not post this.

No, that's my post to clarify any confusion. Don't know how your name got there!

Schumi
22/11/2004, 3:07 PM
joe - he's referring to attendance at the sligo rovers game. and i can tell you now for a fact there definitely was never 350 there.

There were 342 at the game. I counted it myself.

pete
22/11/2004, 3:27 PM
ref made Stokes from friday night look very good indeed.

Shane Long was best player on the pitch which is why UCD had to "take him out". Once he scored a cracking opening goal he was firstly almost decaputated by UCD defender & 5-10 minutes later the job was finished which i thinkld efender may have got yellow card for.

No problems with 1st penalty as was idiotic tackle by Lopes (makes Kevin Murray look good).

Whatever about the physical nature of UCD (only Behan was matching from city really) the level of outright cheating the ref allowed UCD away with was straggering. Fullback almost complated a sumersauth from Behan "tackle" which he did connect would surely have meant 2nd yellow card. UCD players laughing in refs face about "foul" was ludicrous.

Forward then took crazy dive in front of city support...ref allowed play to continue...then went over to player & asked him to get up & never booked him with no foul given either. Linesman not even bother to offer suggestion to ref. Ref also missd elbow on Guthrie who had to be restrained afterwards.

2nd penalty was bizarre as whatever about the foul which was dubious was crazy to give red card for genuine effort to get ball & keeper not even last man. :rollyes:

At 2-1 to UCD, City completely dominated with 10 men with deserved equaliser & for UCD to score with first chance since scored penalty.

City by far better team & robbed ref decisions but can partially blame themselves for not starting to play til down to 10 men.

btw someone would want to teach UCD players how to celebrate without taunting supporters as a proper league would sanction such efforts.

pineapple stu
22/11/2004, 3:35 PM
2nd penalty was bizarre as whatever about the foul which was dubious was crazy to give red card for genuine effort to get ball & keeper not even last man. :rollyes:

Keeper simply pushed Sammon out of the way, as I saw it. If that was the case, he had to walk as Sammon was just going to round him and slot the ball home. It's a clear goalscoring chance, not the last man, which defines a professional foul - which does make a bit of a difference if the person in question is the keeper; much more of a clear goalscoring chance if the keeper's out of the game even if there's a defender coming back.

btw someone would want to teach UCD players how to celebrate without taunting supporters as a proper league would sanction such efforts.

Don't want to condone that, but in fairness, the Cork fans brought it on themselves by calling our players cheats when they were quite clearly receiving medical treatment. Harvest what you reap and all that.

I see you're still turning a blind eye to the Cork challenges... :rolleyes:

Colm
22/11/2004, 5:27 PM
How did all the members of the "Abbeyleix Thirteen" finish out their night?..;)

A good few of us ended up back in the Rochestown Park. I went home at around 1.30 but I believe it was 6.15am by the time a certain member of our bus group left the hotel! ;)

On the attendance, a few of us did a quick head count and we reckoned it was in the region of 140 people of which half were City fans.

I'm not going to bother doing a detailed review of the game but suffice to say that we were absolutely robbed by yet another crooked ref, a spineless linesman and a bunch of cheating thugs posing as a football team.
I spoke to both Stuart Ashton and Pat Dolan after the game and they were both fuming over the performance of the ref and the actions of teh UCD players.

I have never seen a team dive and fake injury so much in one game as UCD did yesterday, they were an absolute disgrace.
As for them celebrating and gesturing to us, they were only serving to further antagonise an already angry and tense set of supporters.
A few of the UCD "fans" weren't much better after the game. About 3 scumbags thought it would be smart to have a little go at us and then ran a mile when a few of our lads reacted! :rolleyes:

It will be a shame and a misery to have UCD back in the Premier Divison. It will bring great joy to all el fans the day when yourselves and Dublin City fianlly vanish off the face of the earth.

balls
22/11/2004, 5:33 PM
is shane long seriously injured. how long will he be out for. he is one of the best young talents in domestic game.

pete
23/11/2004, 1:00 PM
Seen second "penalty" on eL weekly last night & McNulty just jumped to block the forwards shot who scuffed it so McNulty was landing when forward tried to run under him. Ref was right next to so can't see how he gave a red card for it.

Éanna
23/11/2004, 1:02 PM
Seen second "penalty" on eL weekly last night & McNulty just jumped to block the forwards shot who scuffed it so McNulty was landing when forward tried to run under him. Ref was right next to so can't see how he gave a red card for it.
being honest, I don't even think it was a penalty. It was accidental obstruction at worst, IMO he'd lost control of the ball. there was also AT LEAST one player behind the keeper, so he wasn't last man. crazy decision.

Poor Student
23/11/2004, 1:04 PM
It will be a shame and a misery to have UCD back in the Premier Divison. It will bring great joy to all el fans the day when yourselves and Dublin City fianlly vanish off the face of the earth.

With a successful youth and scholarship set up restored, and a pretty decent team at the moment who sent none other than yourselves out of the cup I don't see us going anywhere in tat direction soon. Enjoy the trip(s) to Belfield next year. :D

pineapple stu
23/11/2004, 1:09 PM
It will be a shame and a misery to have UCD back in the Premier Divison. It will bring great joy to all el fans the day when yourselves and Dublin City finally vanish off the face of the earth.

As indeed it is a shame and a misery to hear the Cork fans' appalling inability to take any sort of defeat without introducing some sort of conspiracy theory or scapegoat. It will bring great joy to all eL fans the day when you finally learn to accept defeat with good grace and consider that not every decision against you is wrong, that not every player who goes down under a tackle is a diver and that not every Cork player is a saint (still no-one mentioning the heavy challenges from the Cork team).

God knows what sort of unintelligible diatribe this will provoke. However, you may save your fingers as if you aren't going to come up with anything other than the above, I'm not going to bother returning to this thread.

Colm
23/11/2004, 1:24 PM
(still no-one mentioning the heavy challenges from the Cork team).

I honestly don't remember any very bad challenges from City players, certainly nothing in the same league as what the UCD players were doing.
In the bus on the way back down we were all actually saying that it's a pity that our players didn't make a few dirty challenges and stand up to the thuggery of the UCD players. I still believe that if we had been more physical we would have won the game easily.

God knows what sort of unintelligible diatribe this will provoke.

Why do UCD and Dublin City fans always try to take an intellectually superior stance in order to gain some sort of advantage over the opposition fans they are debating with? It's something I've noticed quite a few times and in truth it only serves to make you look like stuck up assh0les.

patsh
23/11/2004, 1:26 PM
still no-one mentioning the heavy challenges from the Cork teamYOU still haven't acknowledged, indeed even mentioned, the blatent diving and cheating of the UCD players,the viciousness of some of their tackles and the incredibly bad performance of the ref.
When you acknowldge that, maybe we can talk about the game as it actually happened, not what you imagined went on.

God knows what sort of unintelligible diatribe this will provoke. However, you may save your fingers as if you aren't going to come up with anything other than the above, I'm not going to bother returning to this thread."unintelligible diatribe"...awww, we don't make sense to the little college boy.....:D

Bye, Bye......:p

pineapple stu
23/11/2004, 2:23 PM
YOU still haven't acknowledged, indeed even mentioned, the blatent diving and cheating of the UCD players,the viciousness of some of their tackles and the incredibly bad performance of the ref.

My very first post on this thread -

Yes, we put in a couple of heavy challenges,

Want to check things before making easily debunked allegations in future?

The ref lost control of the game, in my opinion - does that make you feel better?

I honestly don't remember any very bad challenges from City players, certainly nothing in the same league as what the UCD players were doing.

Well, at least you're trying! ;) I've mentioned three or four in my posts - our no 2 was wrestled to the ground at one stage by your number 9 (Behan?) and was caught with a nasty late challenge at one stage in the second half as well (after which all the Cork fans started calling him a cheat - hardly any wonder that the UCD players reacted to the fans the way they did), while another player was shoved fairly hard in the back as he went up for a header from a throw. It's interesting that you accuse one of our players of diving spectcularly on the half-way line (and I remember the incident, and will admit I thought it was a bit over the top), but when I saw the first penalty on TV3, Gannon was sent flying through the air in very much the same way, and yet yez agree that was a definite penalty. If you hack someone in full flight, he's going to go flying - doesn't mean it's a dive, even if looks like a 9.8-er.

To be honest, I don't remember much about the UCD-physicalness yez're are referring to (there are very few specific examples given). The clash of heads on the far side was accidental as I saw it - the Cork lad went up arseways into the header which didn't help. The tackle afterwards I didn't see properly, but from what I've heard, it could easliy have been a red, although again it's been exaggerated here. Other than those, you've not given too many examples...

On the second penalty, incidentally, the red card is issued for denying a player a clear goalscoring opportunity. Last man has nothing to do with it. If the last man is a defender on the line and the forward is about to round the keeper when he's fouled, that's denying the player a clear goalscoring opportunity. I'll retract my initial "cynical" analysis of the foul having seen it on TV, but it was clumsy and definitely prevented a goalscoring chance, therefore he had to be sent off.

God knows what sort of unintelligible diatribe this will provoke.

Go away ya pr*ck and take your blinkers off.

Go way ya l*nger..... City SHOULD have dished it out

Make sense to you now? ;) If you're so worried about us being or acting intellectually superior, maybe you should come away from the level in the quotes above and not drag us all down to it. It's ironic that youz call us assh0les while posting the likes of the above.

Colm
23/11/2004, 2:26 PM
If you're so worried about us being or acting intellectually superior.

Forget "being", it's definately just acting!

pineapple stu
23/11/2004, 2:28 PM
Forget "being", it's definitely just acting!

:( :p

patsh
23/11/2004, 3:17 PM
My very first post on this thread -
Want to check things before making easily debunked allegations in future?
"a couple of heavy challenges" hardly encompasses the number of vicious tackles and the cheating from UCD.

The ref lost control of the game, in my opinion - does that make you feel better?No, City lost a game and a three in a row in large measure because of the ref, you admitting he couldn't do his job is hardly going to make that better.

was caught with a nasty late challenge at one stage in the second half as well (after which all the Cork fans started calling him a cheat - hardly any wonder that the UCD players reacted to the fans the way they did), while another player was shoved fairly hard in the back as he went up for a header from a throw.There was one point in the second half, a UCD player played the ball forward from the half way line, a City player had put his leg in front of the ball to block it. The UCD player went down like a ton of bricks, though ABSOLUTELY NO CONTACT was made at all.That happened only a few feet from us.
The "push" in the back, which happened directly in front of us, we were maybe 3 to 4 feet away, was the greatest piece of play-acting since
Rivaldo against Turkey in the world cup. As he was lying in "agony" on the ground, he sneaked a look around with one eye to see waht was going on. Yet you would swear the guy was paralysed.....:rolleyes:
Guthrie was elbowed in the face....nothing happened.
Long got a hand across the face which drew blood from him. Not content with that, the same player then went over and absolutely hacked into Long, badly injuring him, when he was trying to get the ball away....yellow card
I couldn't count the number of niggly little kicks and digs from your defenders, the same guys who all through the first half, were literally throwing themselves down on the pitch at every opportunity.
We had Lally sent off for celebrating the equaliser on the touchline just after he was subbed.....:rolleyes:

On the second penalty, incidentally, the red card is issued for denying a player a clear goalscoring opportunity. Last man has nothing to do with it. If the last man is a defender on the line and the forward is about to round the keeper when he's fouled, that's denying the player a clear goalscoring opportunity. I'll retract my initial "cynical" analysis of the foul having seen it on TV, but it was clumsy and definitely prevented a goalscoring chance, therefore he had to be sent off.The first penalty, as evryone admitted, was justified. Lopez made a late and reckless, (and the worst thing, needless) challenge and we were rightly penalised for that.
The second penalty was a disgraceful descision. McNulty tried to get the ball, then jumped up in front of the guy to put him off, only for the ball hitting Nults and coming back to him, your player had lost the ball. However, like so many times before,the UCD player went down as if he had been hit with an axe......:rolleyes:

If you're so worried about us being or acting intellectually superiorI'm not worried at all, it's you who mentioned "unintelligible diatribe".
I am quite confident in my own intellectual capacity, the witterings of some student are merely a way to pass the time on a particularly quite day here at work.

pineapple stu
23/11/2004, 3:47 PM
No, City lost a game and a three in a row in large measure because of the ref, you admitting he couldn't do his job is hardly going to make that better.

Then why did you make such a big deal about me commenting on the ref then? ("YOU still haven't acknowledged, indeed even mentioned...the incredibly bad performance of the ref.")

There was one point in the second half, a UCD player played the ball forward from the half way line, a City player had put his leg in front of the ball to block it. The UCD player went down like a ton of bricks, though ABSOLUTELY NO CONTACT was made at all.That happened only a few feet from us.

Let me get this straight. The UCD player was running with the ball, the Cork player blocked the ball with his foot and the UCD player went flying? Could this be because the Cork player TACKLED the UCD player?!?! If the Cork lad blocks the ball and the UCD player tries to kick it, his momentum is going to send him flying! That's neither a foul nor a dive - it's a good tackle!!

I've ignored your other points - some of which I have even agreed with, though you still see fit to keep bringing them up - on the grounds that you have so many inconsistencies with the game, and even other Cork fans' views of the game, that your anaylsis really isn't worth considering. However, you still haven't even contemplated any of the incidents of Cork players' aggressiveness which I have mentioned, and yet you say that I'm the one not acknowledging things!

The first penalty, as evryone admitted, was justified. Lopez made a late and reckless, (and the worst thing, needless) challenge and we were rightly penalised for that.

Completely ignoring my point. Gannon was sent through the air in the same way as the lad in the incident above. Yet you call one a foul and the other a dive! Make up your mind!

The second penalty was a disgraceful descision...However, like so many times before,the UCD player went down as if he had been hit with an axe.

Now, in all the complaints about the second penalty, nobody has suggested that Sammon dived. The argument is over whether it was accidental or not. If you look at the replay, you will see that - a) The ball did not come off McNulty, it went under him, so you even saw that bit wrong, and b) There most definitely was contact. Maybe it was deliberate, maybe not, but not even the Cork fans are claiming that was a dive.

I'm not worried at all, it's you who mentioned "unintelligible diatribe". I am quite confident in my own intellectual capacity, the witterings of some student are merely a way to pass the time on a particularly quite day here at work.

I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to Colm! And I'm way past the student stage by now - I've advanced as far as the stage when I know when a post is being addressed to me or not!

Colm
23/11/2004, 3:57 PM
However, you still haven't even contemplated any of the incidents of Cork players' aggressiveness which I have mentioned, and yet you say that I'm the one not acknowledging things!

Can you please point out exactly when and how any of the CIty players were aggressive?
The UCD players were cheating thugs and I think that maybe our lads were intimadated by this.
I hate to say it but maybe we should have adopted the same style of play, as least if we'd broken one of the UCD cheats legs it might have given the City fans something to cheer about. However if we did I don't think the ref would have let us get away with as much as ye did.
There is no doubt in my mind that we were absolutely robbed by the ref, linesman and the behaviour of the UCD players.

pineapple stu
23/11/2004, 4:03 PM
Colm, I've posted them in previous posts - I'm not about to hand-walk you through them again. Don't be lazy! :p

Eric
23/11/2004, 8:00 PM
The incident with the UCD full back in the second half being 'fouled' by Behan WAS, from where I was standing, acting by the full back. Behan did run across and put his leg out to try block the clearance but from the angle at which I was looking there was no contact made with the kicking foot of the defender yet he went down very heavily.

As for the ins and outs as to who were the dirtiest team I don't think either set of fans is going to back down so I'm not gonna add to the argument only to say that I was disappointed that City did not impose themselves on the game as IMO they were clearly the better side.

From the very start they were just plodding about the pitch as if it was only a matter of turning up to collect the trophy. They were very lacklustre around certain parts of the pitch. Our right full and skipper (don't know his name) has to be one of the slowest defenders I've ever seen in my life!!! Murray and Lopes in the middle of the pitch did not work well together, Lopes did not get stuck in and as for Murray........well ye all know my thoughts on him!!!! I thought Jamie Nolan was poor too and did not really look up for it on the day. Behan and Long up front for us would have won it on their own and UCD knew this and their number 11 cynically took Long out of it and should have been sent off.

In the end I thought it was apoor game which was only made exciting by the shocking performance of the Ref!! :mad:

CollegeTillIDie
23/11/2004, 8:02 PM
THE STAR TUESDAY NOVEMBER 23 2004..... TARGET SUPPLEMENT

" TEN MAN CORK SUNK BY SAMMON " UCD Supersub grabs late winner ; UCD3 CORK CITY 2 Rob Cullen Reports
An injury time winner by supersub Conor Sammon handed UCD the Dr. Tony O'Neill Eircom League Under 21 Trophy out in Belfield on Sunday. Making an instant impact after his introduction , Sammon was fouled for the second penalty by Cork keeper Mark McNulty, resulting in the City number one seeing red, and also scored the third goal in the 93rd minute.

It was nothing less than a full-blooded contest with wild tackles from both sides; a typical Dubs versus Rebels encounter.
City opened the scoring on the 23rd minute. Denis Behan played a perfect through ball to Shane Long and the 17 year-old showed great skill to turn the defender and bury the ball past the keeper.

The Rebel's lead lasted only four minutes, however. Brian Gannon broke down the wing skipping inside the defence creating all sorts of problems for Cork. City's midfielder Ossy Lopes ran back to cover but just slid in and took the legs off Gannon, giving the referee no choice but to point to the spot. The Students' captain held his nerve to equalise.
Then just before the break things started to get heated. First of all a bad tackle on Gannon was ignored by the ref, and then seconds later UCD's Stephen Hurley dived in on long resultoing in a free-for-all brawl involving most of the players and management teams. The referee was losing control of the game and the best thing he could have done was blow for half time. Hurley's challenge was wreckless and he was lucky to be given only a yellow card.
The unlucky party was definitely Shane Long who was sent for an x-ray with the worry of a possible broken leg.
Twenty five minutes into the fractious second half College were in front again. Conor Sammon was taken down by City's McNulty who was duly sent off. Gannon stepped up to put away his second penalty placing it past the replacement keeper, winger Stephen O'Flynn.
Ten Men City had a lot of the possession but found it hard to break down the back four.
They got their break ten minutes from the end. A well deserved equaliser came from a deflected free by Behan slipping inside the near post.

At that stage Cork looked like they could go on and win it, but Conor Sammon had other ideas. With seconds remaining, Derek Doyle sprinted down the wing before pulling the ball back to an unmarked Sammon. The sub hit it past the helpless O'Flynn and the title went to the College.
UCD's gaffer Dave Mackey said:" All these lads are on scholarships and their chance to make it big will come. You'll hear a lot more about players like Paul Byrne and Brian Gannon," he added.

"We're really disappointed, we played all the football but just gave away three sloppy goals," said City manager Stuart Ashton in disbelief.
"We were the only team that looked like winning but I have to say the referee was a joke, totally shocking, too one-sided. You never guess he was from Dublin."
UCD:- Neil Gallagher; Brian Gannon, Aaron McEneff, Brian Shorthall, Liam Tiernan, Kieran Harte, Derek Doyle, Stephen Hurley, Darren O'Brien, Paul Byrne, John Brophy,Conor Sammon, Seamus Long, Ryan Coyle, Sean Geoghegan, Stephen Cashin, Tadgh Purcell

CORK CITY: Mark McNulty; Richie Aherne, Ken Kiely, Shane Guthrie, Ray Lally, Aidan Murray, Kevin Murray, Oswald Lopes, Jamie Nolan, Denis Behan, Shane Long, David Freyne,
Stephen O'Flynn, Sean O'Sullivan, Colin O'Shea, David O'Sullivan, Admir Softic

That is about as objective as you are going to get on the subject.
This is a fair and balanced accout of what happened. Hopefully this will stop the disparate versions of what happened because these were the words of the reporter present. Not a UCD view or a City view, a Star view .

Citygirl
23/11/2004, 8:58 PM
You left out the quote from Sammon when he said "maybe a red card was harsh" bout nults being sent off..prob was a peno but no way a straight red

not making excuses for City cos quite frankly they were shocking in the first ahlf but UCD were worse. I have never in my life seen such a performance..they should be nominated for an oscar!!!!they were nothing short of a disgrace. Sticking fingers up at the City supporters!scuts is all they were.supporters were nearly as bad..threatening women with umbrellas..very manly..UCD knew they wouldnt win by fair play so they had to play dirty but like i said city didnt perform until nults was sent off.Stevie Flynn is a LEGEND!fair dues to him for stepping into the goal, although Behan had his jersey half off to go in.Hopefully Shane Long's injury isn't too bad and Ken Kiely's ankle was very swollen also..So they lost the league this year..they are still the best in the country!as meatloaf said two out of three ain't bad

CollegeTillIDie
23/11/2004, 9:15 PM
[QUOTE=Citygirl]You left out the quote from Sammon when he said "maybe a red card was harsh" bout nults being sent off..prob was a peno but no way a straight red
[QUOTE]

For the record citygirl I did not leave anything out of the match report proper.
I did not type up the piece on the front of Target under our team photograph, cause it would have taken too long,and it was in that section that the quote was.

And I am very surprised at the assertion that one of our fans attempted to attack one of ye're supporters with a brolly. There must have been more people at the game than I thought cause I missed that bit completely.

Citygirl
23/11/2004, 9:30 PM
For the record citygirl I did not leave anything out of the match report proper.
I did not type up the piece on the front of Target under our team photograph, cause it would have taken too long,and it was in that section that the quote was..

you're right..i apologise..was just a bit hyped up when i was typing it out..sory.

And I am very surprised at the assertion that one of our fans attempted to attack one of ye're supporters with a brolly. There must have been more people at the game than I thought cause I missed that bit completely.

well i can honestly say that this was true because he raised to me then at a group of supporters..it happened as your supporters were walking over to watch the cup being given to your lot