PDA

View Full Version : city recieve 1million

Pages : [1] 2

city 4 life
21/11/2004, 11:15 AM
according to newspaper reports anyway city are to recieve 1million from the fai to knock the shed. The new stand will seat 1,500 and corporate boxes as well as the new dressing rooms.
money also being given to mayfield and ballincollig soccer clubs for development!
won't be ready in uefa cup time though!

martin_rules_ie
21/11/2004, 11:17 AM
and which news paper reported this info?????

Ruairi
21/11/2004, 11:20 AM
SINDO sport page 19

Storysham
21/11/2004, 11:35 AM
Wasnt that money secured ages ago, it just has to be released to the MFA/City.

Partizan
21/11/2004, 12:31 PM
All I can say is well done if the money comes through and you get to redevelop the Shed. The X will look the biz.

You are lucky to have the MFA on your side. We have to put up with objections from An Bord Luchleasiocht na hEireann (who object everytime when we make an approach to the City Council to get some kind of a lease on the RSC) and an indifferent senior Government Minister Martin Cullen who didnt even make funds available to develop the RSC when he was Minister for Public Works but at the same time squandered millions of tax payers money on the e-voting machines and a government office in Waterford that cost 18million.

I'm not bitter :D , after all Munster clubs should be supporting each other to smash the Dublin stranglehold on senior football in this country.

RedX
21/11/2004, 12:39 PM
All I can say is well done if the money comes through and you get to redevelop the Shed. The X will look the biz.

You are lucky to have the MFA on your side. We have to put up with objections from An Bord Luchleasiocht na hEireann (who object everytime when we make an approach to the City Council to get some kind of a lease on the RSC) and an indifferent senior Government Minister Martin Cullen who didnt even make funds available to develop the RSC when he was Minister for Public Works but at the same time squandered millions of tax payers money on the e-voting machines and a government office in Waterford that cost 18million.

I'm not bitter :D , after all Munster clubs should be supporting each other to smash the Dublin stranglehold on senior football in this country.

At last the REAL Partizan is back..nice to hear some decent comments from you again..these Munster derbys really do get people on all sides going.. :D

And it is important to have good Cork and Waterford clubs doing well in the league.We all unite against the Dublin stranglehold on this league.. ;)

thejollyrodger
21/11/2004, 12:48 PM
Release of €1m to ease Cork's pain
Sunday November 21st 2004
http://www.unison.ie/sportsdesk/stories.php3?ca=12&si=1291478
EXCLUSIVE
SEÁN RYAN

WHILE Cork City fans may be deflated at having the eircom League title snatched from their grasp on the last night of the season, new FAI supremo John Delaney was able to offer them some welcome news yesterday.

A total of over €1m, set aside for the development of Turner's Cross and two other Cork soccer complexes, will shortly be released following negotiations initiated by FAI financial director Peter Buckley.

"This money comes from the sale of Bishopstown Stadium over two years ago," explained Delaney. "It was sold for €1.7m subject to planning permission and on receipt of a deposit. It is only in the last month that Peter Buckley has been able to bring the deal to a conclusion."

The FAI originally paid €500,000 for Bishopstown and the €1.2m profit they have made is earmarked for the Munster FA's development of Turner's Cross, the Mayfield complex, and possibly another complex in Ballincollig. In each case, the Government will provide a further 80 per cent funding for the various projects.

In Cork City's case, the Turner's Cross development, which will see the famous Shed end replaced by a 1,500-seater stand, including corporate boxes, won't happen in time for City's UEFA Cup challenge next summer. As a result, City will be forced to play their European games to a reduced capacity of 5,500, as seating is mandatory for UEFA Cup ties.

Cork City are the best supported team in the Eircom League, with their gate receipts accounting for 60 per cent of the €1m it costs to run the club, according to Chairman Brian Lennox. "The remaining 40 per cent comes from the commercial side, but I would like to see that percentage grow."

Lennox has overseen a revolution in his three years in charge - and he has set his sights on being top dogs in the League next season.

In European competition, his aims are not so clear yet. "I set out this year that we should get to the semi-final of the Inter Toto Cup, but we went out at the quarter-final stage. I haven't set my targets for next year yet."

Lennox believes that a club won't make money from Europe until it gets into the Champions' League and says: "Too many clubs just go for the trip, and if the players know that it's hardly worth taking part. All our players now have the experience of having done well in Europe, and the negative experience of coming back and losing - and that will help too. When we had our 'clear the air' meeting before our good run, it was the players who were dissatisfied with their own performance, they felt they had let themselves down."

Lennox is upbeat about the future. "We have a product, a show, an entertainment, we have customers rather than fans. We have a lot of families on Friday nights in Turner's Cross."

Without the luxury of a Lansdowne Road if they progress in Europe, the FAI's release of funds to develop Turner's Cross is a welcome boost to this progressive club.

I would like to see what the new stand is going to look like. Great news for C.C.F.C (even if i dont support the ****s:p )

Partizan
21/11/2004, 12:49 PM
Then what was all the fuss about the time of the Jimmy McGeough saga and the vitrolic abuse we got from you lot prior and after the Cup Final, which was uncalled for may I add..

Time to put words into practice lads.

After all the vast majority of you (99%) shouted for a Dublin based Longford team against your fellow Munster minions in the Final while we shouted for City in the Intertwo Bob.

No wonder Blues fans like meself got miffed and rightly so. :mad:

max power
21/11/2004, 2:05 PM
that money was promised last season, we are waiting on our share too, so we can cover the rest of the ground and upgrade the lights as well and plitch has to be longer also.....

once all this fai in fighting is over the government might flash the cash but i wouldn't hold me breath

Poor Student
21/11/2004, 2:14 PM
Eh, that's all well and good but why only Cork? I know you have the biggest active support and all but what about the rest of us?

max power
21/11/2004, 2:16 PM
its for the clubs that gain euopean qualification so we can have our grounds ready for next/last season

Poor Student
21/11/2004, 2:23 PM
its for the clubs that gain euopean qualification so we can have our grounds ready for next/last season

I don't see why they aren't helping all of us, only further disadvantages the smaller clubs. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad for Cork, just seems very uneven handed.

max power
21/11/2004, 2:45 PM
not really, sort out the european teams first and then the others, thats the plan afaik

Poor Student
21/11/2004, 2:50 PM
not really, sort out the european teams first and then the others, thats the plan afaik

Well fair enough if so. As long as they don't forget the rest of us. But if that's how long a priority like Cork are dealt with, I'm not looking forward to seeing when the rest of us are helped. What capacity will this like the X at?

A face
21/11/2004, 2:58 PM
that money was promised last season, we are waiting on our share too,

No ... that is different money, and you could nearly forget about it too .... That was capital grants, nothingot do with the FAI, although they gave the money out.

There are two club that are holding this up .... as they were given money for developments and spent it on players wages, i.e. not developments.

That money is as good as gone and the whole league will suffer in the future because those two club will not document and report how the spent the money. That was one of the few conditions to receiving that money, to report and prove how you spent it.

max power
21/11/2004, 3:10 PM
welli know shels are holding it up, who is the other club ??

Ruairi
21/11/2004, 3:16 PM
welli know shels are holding it up, who is the other club ??

*cough*rovers*cough*

max power
21/11/2004, 3:18 PM
hmmmmmmm, now why didn't i think of that

sadloserkid
21/11/2004, 3:25 PM
*cough*rovers*cough*

Ooh, are we starting a whispering campaign? Excellent!

*cough* Ramblers *cough* :D

colblimp
21/11/2004, 4:15 PM
according to newspaper reports anyway city are to recieve 1million from the fai to knock the shed. The new stand will seat 1,500 and corporate boxes as well as the new dressing rooms.
money also being given to mayfield and ballincollig soccer clubs for development!

Why oh why is the new stand only going to seat 1,500?

Cork City are the biggest supported club in the EL. Look how many were standing in the nooks and crannies last Friday. Surely a 4-5,000 seater stand would be more appropriate? :confused:

Éanna
21/11/2004, 4:17 PM
i'd imagine the cost of building a bigger stand wouldn't be worth it. we have enough capacity as it is, lets face it, there's usully a few empty seats around the place! also, could have been problems re planning permission

Storysham
21/11/2004, 4:52 PM
Why oh why is the new stand only going to seat 1,500?

Cork City are the biggest supported club in the EL. Look how many were standing in the nooks and crannies last Friday. Surely a 4-5,000 seater stand would be more appropriate? :confused:

Only 3 games this season did we pull in such crowds. Nimijen, Nantes and Bohs. Crowd for malmo was dissapointing.

The Donie Forde Stand (1900)
St.Annes End (2800)
Derrynane Road (1185)
The new Shed stand (1500)

Total: 7385, not too shabby.

No way would 4-5000 fit in the new shed end if the st annes end holds 2800. A second tier would have to be built (how cool would that be), never going to happen.

colblimp
21/11/2004, 5:35 PM
Only 3 games this season did we pull in such crowds. Nimijen, Nantes and Bohs. Crowd for malmo was dissapointing.

The Donie Forde Stand (1900)
St.Annes End (2800)
Derrynane Road (1185)
The new Shed stand (1500)

Total: 7385, not too shabby.

No way would 4-5000 fit in the new shed end if the st annes end holds 2800. A second tier would have to be built (how cool would that be), never going to happen.

I was thinking more of a three tier stand, like Evertons, remodel the road so that the stand can sit farther back, a leisure centre and restaurant underneath and corporate boxes and a press centre. *Sigh*. :D

harry crumb
21/11/2004, 8:50 PM
Yeah the sad fact is that we can't get the crowds into the present capacity. Maybe it should be built with the option to increase the capacity if the club develops a bigger hardcore of supporters or as Brian Lennox likes to call us CUSTOMERS.

thejollyrodger
21/11/2004, 9:14 PM
well cork is the best supported club in Ireland. If they build this new 1,500 stand to a decent spec then Im sure they will fill it up with a good run of results. There is a better chance of supporters going to a new stand rather than an old stinky one.

I just wonder is the pitch long and wide enough for UEFA standards and future expansion. If there is to be any future expansion in the stadium is the new stand able to take another tier ?

Éanna
21/11/2004, 9:48 PM
I just wonder is the pitch long and wide enough for UEFA standards and future expansion. If there is to be any future expansion in the stadium is the new stand able to take another tier ?
The pitch is bigger than highbury, so it should be fine for the moment.

RedX
21/11/2004, 10:03 PM
One thing that worries me about the new stand is this..this is the area(shed)where the vocal supporters gather for years thus creating the atmosphere to get behind the team..so you would imagine then that all these more vocal(singing)supporters would once again gather when the new stand is done..but because it is a new stand and a seating area, will City sell the seats for season ticket holders?..i mean there are going to be prawn cocktailers executive boxes there also..i know this question cant really be anwered by any fans here but i hope this does not happen..and i do also want to state before someone says something else that it is great to see a new stand go up but we should really make the club realise that this is the hardcore supporters area of the ground and should be kept like that..ahem Brian.. ;)

Éanna
21/11/2004, 10:07 PM
we should really make the club realise that this is the hardcore supporters area of the ground and should be kept like that
agreed. Or is they have to put damn corporate boxes etc in ther, there should be a proper home found for the vocal section of the support. IMO the St Annes End won't work until its roofed, and rebuilt- its not steep enough, and the view from the front of it is brutal.

Dr.Nightdub
21/11/2004, 10:08 PM
*cough*rovers*cough*

Somehow I find that hard to believe - think about it...

Mind you, if someone in Merrion Square gave Rovers money for upgrading their ground then the FAI are a worse bunch of blithering idiots than ANY of us imagined.

A face
21/11/2004, 11:10 PM
Somehow I find that hard to believe - think about it...

Mind you, if someone in Merrion Square gave Rovers money for upgrading their ground then the FAI are a worse bunch of blithering idiots than ANY of us imagined.

It is not the FAI giving out this money, it is the government via capital grants scheme. It is given to eveyone at some stage, its not like they are cherry picking us. Everything from igloo building to the ICA get these grants and are able to account for the money and how it is spent. To say that there are club in the league that cant do this .... is really unbelievable.

Anyway ... we are not getting anymore until it is resolved. These two clubs are holding everyone back.

joe
22/11/2004, 5:49 AM
Where exactly does the article say that City are to received a million?

As for when the government will cough up the readies :rolleyes:

derm
22/11/2004, 8:38 AM
Where exactly does the article say that City are to received a million?

As for when the government will cough up the readies :rolleyes:

The money is coming from the sale of the farm and it's being re-invested in Cork soccer, with City getting the Lion's share. This time 'round it's the FAI rather than the government that's doling out the cash. It's already been held up for so long that everyone had forgotten about it but apparently is finally about to be released. (Don't know when exactly though)

patsh
22/11/2004, 8:46 AM
It's probably a bribe to get City on Delaney's side......:p

jimhacker
22/11/2004, 10:48 AM

Isn't it great that mayfield and Ballincollig have gotten into Europe!

joe
22/11/2004, 12:55 PM
The money is coming from the sale of the farm and it's being re-invested in Cork soccer, with City getting the Lion's share.

City aren't getting any money. It's to build the new stand at Turner's Cross.

This time 'round it's the FAI rather than the government that's doling out the cash. It's already been held up for so long that everyone had forgotten about it but apparently is finally about to be released. (Don't know when exactly though)

The fourth paragraph of the article reads:

In each case, the Government will provide a further 80 per cent funding for the various projects.

While the FAI have not released the cash from the sale of Bishopstown yet, because the money was/is due when the developer who they're selling it to gains planning permission out there, we don't know yet how long we'll have to wait for the government to loosen it's purse strings.

paudie
22/11/2004, 12:56 PM
I was thinking more of a three tier stand, like Evertons, remodel the road so that the stand can sit farther back, a leisure centre and restaurant underneath and corporate boxes and a press centre. *Sigh*. :D

Remodel the road? You must be joking.

I reckon City will be lucky to get permission to build the stand at all. Some resident is bound to object on the basis that the stand will overlook their house etc.

Do City have planning permission for the stand? I remember the application notice being up a couple of years ago but i don't know if they actually got it.

A face
22/11/2004, 1:24 PM
Do City have planning permission for the stand?

I thought that they had ... could be wrong but i thought it was all sorted out.

joe
22/11/2004, 1:30 PM
Do City have planning permission for the stand?

I wouldn't think so. The MFA might though.

Pablo
22/11/2004, 1:36 PM
Permission was granted but i think it ran out as you have to build within a certain time

Fair_play_boy
22/11/2004, 3:49 PM
Remodel the road? You must be joking. Not so far-fetched when you think about it. Lansdowne Road west stand is built over a railway line. By the way, the 1,500 seats in the proposed stand will reduce the capacity of the ground, as 2000 supporters must be crammed into the shed on a good night. The only time the capacity can be counted as being increased is for the few games ever that no standing is allowed, e.g. the UEFA cup.

Storysham
22/11/2004, 4:34 PM
One thing that worries me about the new stand is this..this is the area(shed)where the vocal supporters gather for years thus creating the atmosphere to get behind the team..so you would imagine then that all these more vocal(singing)supporters would once again gather when the new stand is done..but because it is a new stand and a seating area, will City sell the seats for season ticket holders?..i mean there are going to be prawn cocktailers executive boxes there also..i know this question cant really be anwered by any fans here but i hope this does not happen..and i do also want to state before someone says something else that it is great to see a new stand go up but we should really make the club realise that this is the hardcore supporters area of the ground and should be kept like that..ahem Brian.. ;)

premium seats at most grounds are alongside the pitch by the halfway line. id imagine some would be moved form the donie forde to the new stand to avail of the facilities.

How many season ticket holders do we have anyway. Not 1500 i'd bet.

Éanna
22/11/2004, 4:34 PM
Remodel the road? You must be joking.
I know it ain't gonna happen, but have a look at this picture of Atletico Madrid's
Vicente Calderon. (http://www.clubatleticodemadrid.com/elclub/vicente.asp) Click on the image on the left to enlarge it. There's a actually a motorway (the madrid ring road) under the stand on the near side. So why don't we just build over the road ;) :D

jofyisgod
22/11/2004, 5:54 PM
I know it ain't gonna happen, but have a look at this picture of Atletico Madrid's
Vicente Calderon. (http://www.clubatleticodemadrid.com/elclub/vicente.asp) Click on the image on the left to enlarge it. There's a actually a motorway (the madrid ring road) under the stand on the near side. So why don't we just build over the road ;) :D

Some unreal ground there. Who knows, we might get to see them first hand next year in the UEFA, depending on how they do of course.

I agree that The Shed should be kept for 'hardcore', but the exec boxes are surley not going to sell if there's flares, etc going up all the time?

Fair_play_boy
22/11/2004, 6:27 PM
. . . the exec boxes are surley not going to sell if there's flares, etc going up all the time? :D Might bring some excitement into the lives of those Nissan execs ;)

city 4 life
22/11/2004, 6:55 PM
yeah the people in the exec boxes won't know whats happening if the sheddies stay that side. also you will have a few sunshine muppets who will show up the odd occasion and decide to bring the family into that area and will be totally disgusted hours of mr.prendevilles time will be wasted on them giving out about the "foul language" haha should be highly entertaining!

A face
22/11/2004, 7:32 PM
Amsterdams Arena (http://www.stadiumguide.com/arena7.jpg) is build over a motorway or a train track, one of the two anyway.

I thought it was two years in which to build after you get the planning permission, and if someone objects then it gets an extention. I could/probably wrong on this but once you get the planning permission, it is fairly easy to work around it then, sure of course it is with FF in power !! :p

crc
22/11/2004, 8:10 PM
I was in DC United's ground two weeks ago for the SF against New England Revolution. I stood behind the goal with the crazy hispanic crowd. The plastic seats weren't a hinderance to standing at all - it made it more fun. Everyone was standing on the seats, jumping up and down and singing "y salta, y salta...!"
They also threw unreal amounts of toilet paper, and even brought in bins full of shredded paper and just threw it around the place.

I've mentioned this before, but its worth saying again - are City going to use the Blackash Park and Ride in any way. I think all stadium developments need to have adequate parking included. Given that there's no way to increase the parking around the X, wouldn't it make sense for the club to do some sort of P&R deal with the city council?

Will the seats be red (like the rest of the ground), or green? My preference would be for green.

A face
22/11/2004, 8:39 PM
Will the seats be red (like the rest of the ground), or green? My preference would be for green.

Nah ... it looks tacky when there loads of different colours ..... go with red !! :p

Storysham
22/11/2004, 8:47 PM
I've mentioned this before, but its worth saying again - are City going to use the Blackash Park and Ride in any way. I think all stadium developments need to have adequate parking included. Given that there's no way to increase the parking around the X, wouldn't it make sense for the club to do some sort of P&R deal with the city council?

They open late when a big crowd is expected, i used it for the nantes nimijen and bohs game. Price is reduced to €3 too. Its only a 10 minute walk away, although along a section of very busy road. Dont think such a short distance warrants a shuttle bus top the cross.

Éanna
22/11/2004, 8:54 PM
Nah ... it looks tacky when there loads of different colours ..... go with red !! :p
what about the nijmegen ground? (http://www.stadiumguide.com/goffert.htm) their mixture of red, black and green looks class. i think we could definitely do something like that. would look really class having one bank of green, one red and then green again or something.