PDA

View Full Version : Dan Murray might be on his way

Pages : [1] 2

adamd164
21/11/2004, 8:40 AM
I've heard from an EXTREMELY reliable internal source that Bohs have been in contact several times with Dan Murray.

Make of it what you will.

thecorner
21/11/2004, 9:32 AM
I've heard from an EXTREMELY reliable internal source that Bohs have been in contact several times with Dan Murray.

well he hasnt been offered a contract and lets face it he hasnt been setting the world alight with his performances either

city 4 life
21/11/2004, 11:24 AM
going on his performances in the past season how big a loss would he be?
the only issue i have with it is the obvious lack of cover at centre half, if dolan hasn't offered him a new contract he must have good reason behind it and he possibly has 1 or 2 new centre halfs in mind, time will tell i suppose!

Storysham
21/11/2004, 11:37 AM
An ok player but there is better out there, if he does stay he should be stripped of the captaincy.

martin_rules_ie
21/11/2004, 11:53 AM
An ok player but there is better out there, if he does stay he should be stripped of the captaincy.

totally agree, not captain material. personally i feel he his a donkey. wat is he 22 and he can barely run, no acceleration!?!??!! benno is a far superior player imo

city 4 life
21/11/2004, 11:55 AM
yeah if he stays definatly stripped of captaincy he's not vocal enough at all!
any way there are better players and hopefully dolan will get a few in city shirts come the start of next season

RedX
21/11/2004, 12:27 PM
I have it from an extremely reliable source that City are going to sign at least one if not two defenders during close season.So this Dan Murray story might be true.In my own opinion i dont think he is great.Hot and cold player that gives away lots of possesion.Also isnt Derek Coughlan back next season?...

Ruairi
21/11/2004, 12:49 PM
Dont ya just love these "reliable" sources??

City have the second best defensive record for the 2004 season yet everyone wants to get rid of murray? WTF? Dan's performances of late have been impressive, especially against Bohs and Drogheda when Benno was sent off.

Getting rid of Murray would be a terrible mistake.

And i have it from a "reliable source" that Dan's due to sign a new contract within the next week.

RedX
21/11/2004, 1:00 PM
Ruairi...I dont see where people are saying that they want to get rid of Dan..i think people are just been critical of his performances and rightly so..he has been poor..and so what if City have one of the best defensive records in the league?..the club will always be on the look-out to improve the team and there is no doubt Dan Murray is one of the players under threat and you should know that yourself from going to matches and listening to a LOT of fans commets on here..

And also some people do hear rumours from reliable sources such as players and staff which i am sure they are unable to name..would it look good to say Colin O Brien told me yesterday Dan is leaving and i think there are two defenders on the way?..i dont think so..so some sources have truth in them and isnt that what this forum is about and what makes it interesting??

jofyisgod
21/11/2004, 2:55 PM
Also isnt Derek Coughlan back next season?...

TBH, i don't think Derek was amazing either when we saw him return season before last. Dan is a lot younger, and hasn't been as bad as people are making out. Granted, Benno is better, but they seem to work well together, why change it?

Éanna
21/11/2004, 3:08 PM
Dan needs to lose some weight, and shape up. He is one of the better defenders in the league on his day, but he just hasn't performed this season bar a few games. Give him a contract, but sign another centre half or two and keep the pressure on

RedX
21/11/2004, 3:09 PM
TBH, i don't think Derek was amazing either when we saw him return season before last. Dan is a lot younger, and hasn't been as bad as people are making out. Granted, Benno is better, but they seem to work well together, why change it?

I think what City need is a mixture of both Dan and Derek..Dan is good on the ball at times and good going forward..Derek is very strong and very good at set pieces..in my opinion whoever comes in at centre half will partner Alan Bennett and i presume he could be a player that is experienced in eircom league football..not sure who it could be yet though..i think top teams always need at least one big strong vocal centre half and thats something we dont have..also i do agree that Dan is not that bad but i do think we could get better..

b_mcsweeney
21/11/2004, 3:55 PM
dan was in disappointing form, especially during the middle of the season. not that he was playing terrible (tho sometimes he was), but u just knew he could and had done so much better. it was a puzzler. i thought he had a stormer gainst bohs tho last friday, showed the player he can be. end of the day, as said earlier, city had a good defensive record this year which has to be at least partly attributable to dan. i wouldn't mind seeing him get a new contract, still think we need one more centre half tho, even if he stays.

golly
21/11/2004, 4:35 PM
Dan needs to lose some weight, and shape up. He is one of the better defenders in the league on his day, but he just hasn't performed this season bar a few games. Give him a contract, but sign another centre half or two and keep the pressure on

dats it exactly spot on if he shaped up he mitent b half as bad

Éanna
21/11/2004, 10:03 PM
Iin my opinion whoever comes in at centre half will partner Alan Bennett
agreed. Benno is a class act.

RedX
21/11/2004, 10:19 PM
agreed. Benno is a class act.

An interesting comment from Brian Lennox in his post-match interview was that he seems quiet clear that we only need one player...he did not say maybe one or two but just one..so there is obviously one certain position that Brian Lennox thinks we should strenghten..i am persuming either centre half or right side of midfield..we are good enough everywhere else...i have a feeling that whichever player we sign this close season there very well could be a fee involved and he will be a very good player with experience..i would be happy with a centre half and a right midfielder..we definetly dont need anyone else..

Éanna
21/11/2004, 10:23 PM
An interesting comment from Brian Lennox in his post-match interview was that he seems quiet clear that we only need one player...he did not say maybe one or two but just one..so there is obviously one certain position that Brian Lennox thinks we should strenghten..i am persuming either centre half or right side of midfield..we are good enough everywhere else...i have a feeling that whichever player we sign this close season there very well could be a fee involved and he will be a very good player with experience..i would be happy with a centre half and a right midfielder..we definetly dont need anyone else..
I think we definitely need a centre half AND a right-sided midfielder. We don't have any cover at centre half and Billy just isn't consistent enough IMO.

RedX
21/11/2004, 10:28 PM
I think we definitely need a centre half AND a right-sided midfielder. We don't have any cover at centre half and Billy just isn't consistent enough IMO.

Agreed....

harry crumb
21/11/2004, 10:30 PM
Eanna, do you not think Billy has played well in the past 2 months? He's finally playing in his natural position. For the last 2 years he has been playing left-back and left-wing even though he is right-footed.

I think you made up your mind about Billy and you don't to see the light. I agree that Benno is looking a much better prospect than Dan. Dan seems to lose concentration and the offside trap is often let down cause he is not alert enough. But, he is still one of the better centre halfs when he is on his game. ie. like Friday night

Éanna
21/11/2004, 10:34 PM
Eanna, do you not think Billy has played well in the past 2 months? He's finally playing in his natural position. For the last 2 years he has been playing left-back and left-wing even though he is right-footed.

He has played pretty well in the last 2 months, a lot better than previously. I have to admit he's done better lately than I thought he would, but I still have my doubts about him. I think we could do better to be honest.

II agree that Benno is looking a much better prospect than Dan. Dan seems to lose concentration and the offside trap is often let down cause he is not alert enough. But, he is still one of the better centre halfs when he is on his game. ie. like Friday nightagreed. thats my biggest problem with Dan- we all know how good he is, but how can we expect to win a title when our captain is so inconsitent. Being captain is all about setting an example to your team-mates, IMO Dan just doesn't do that well enough. Ideally, he'd lose some weight, shape up and play like he's capable of, because he can do it, and I'd love to see him at his best, ather than on the bench.

Shedender
22/11/2004, 12:03 AM
give the cap to billy woods, he showed last night the only attacking player to even try to win the game, the rest of them bottled,come the rebel army :D

patsh
22/11/2004, 8:01 AM
Personally, I think Dan deserves a contract. He CAN be class on his day, and with a bit of pressure on to fight for his place, he can get back to what he was. I think he hasn't recovered yet from the first game aginst $hels and those 2 own goals. He was having an off night that game, as any player can, but the 2 ogs turned into a personal disaster which I think still affects his game.
He needs 2 monthss off, and than real hard serious training and mental preparation for ther new season.
Gamble should get the captaincy for a while, he is the type of player suited to the role, though he needs to be a lot more vocal on the pitch.

jimhacker
22/11/2004, 10:40 AM
This Murray business is ridiculous..............okay so he had a dip in form but he is still one of the better defenders in the league and there is no obvious replacement.

Friday night showed that City have better CB resources than anyone - O'Halloran had a stormer, Murray excellent and Bennet on the bench. Any club would want them.

It's the other end of the pitch Dolan should be thinking about.

DolansWaistcoat
22/11/2004, 11:49 AM
Granted Murray has lapses in concentration every now and then but I still think he is a very good centre defender and there aren't that many better than him in the eircom league,he still has a lot to offer city imo and it would be a huge mistake to sell him on.

As for bringing back Coughlan,if he's about 5 times better than the last time he played for us,then i'd welcome him back but otherwise I think city should stay well away from him.

Éanna
22/11/2004, 11:50 AM
It's the other end of the pitch Dolan should be thinking about.
:confused: we've more than enough strikers as it is!

tiktok
22/11/2004, 12:42 PM
I hope Murray stays.
He had an average season, however only Bohs had a better defensive record than us this season.

The thought of losing him without at least having someone better signed beforehand is just daft IMO.

thecorner
22/11/2004, 3:32 PM
hes a liability and will be the cause of a few goals. he cant even kick the ball straight. how many times has he went for a ball and totally miss-hit it or sliced it into the donie ford. how many times have we seen that schoolboy error of hitting the ball across the box.

he hasnt played well at all this(last :D ) season.... everytime he goes near the ball, u sense something could happen cringe

there it is lads,,what most of ye wanted to say ;)

Fair_play_boy
22/11/2004, 3:54 PM
An ok player but there is better out there, if he does stay he should be stripped of the captaincy.Look the guy was not a great distributor of the ball and he was not so vocal. But he defended solidly enough. So if he loses the captaincy for whatever reason, he loses it. But the way you phrased it, it almost sounds like a disciplinary measure. :eek:

Éanna
22/11/2004, 4:26 PM
Look the guy was not a great distributor of the ball and he was not so vocal. But he defended solidly enough. So if he loses the captaincy for whatever reason, he loses it. But the way you phrased it, it almost sounds like a disciplinary measure. :eek:
thing is though, if you take the captaincy from him, it will wreck his confidence completely. very hard decision to make for a manager.

Colm
22/11/2004, 5:35 PM
Dont ya just love these "reliable" sources??

City have the second best defensive record for the 2004 season yet everyone wants to get rid of murray? WTF? Dan's performances of late have been impressive, especially against Bohs and Drogheda when Benno was sent off.

Getting rid of Murray would be a terrible mistake.

And i have it from a "reliable source" that Dan's due to sign a new contract within the next week.

I agree. Murray has got to stay imo, it's not been his best season but he still did quite well in a lot of games.
I'd hate to lose him but it's not going to happen anyway. Dan will sign a contract in the next few weeks.

Fair_play_boy
22/11/2004, 7:11 PM
thing is though, if you take the captaincy from him, it will wreck his confidence completely. very hard decision to make for a manager.Is his confidence an issue already? And did Michael Devine lose confidence when the captain's arm band came off him?

city 4 life
22/11/2004, 7:37 PM
dans major problem is he has nobody challenging him for a position maybe if there was someone pushing him for his place he might improve benno is class though dan or anyone else to partner him hes improved no end!

Éanna
22/11/2004, 7:45 PM
Is his confidence an issue already?
I think it is, but it would become more of an issue if he had the captaincy taken from him.

And did Michael Devine lose confidence when the captain's arm band came off him?
Mick was never captain :confused:

martin_rules_ie
22/11/2004, 9:43 PM
hes a liability and will be the cause of a few goals. he cant even kick the ball straight. how many times has he went for a ball and totally miss-hit it or sliced it into the donie ford. how many times have we seen that schoolboy error of hitting the ball across the box.

he hasnt played well at all this(last :D ) season.... everytime he goes near the ball, u sense something could happen cringe

there it is lads,,what most of ye wanted to say ;)

spot on corner, lets all be honest here. maybe its cos of the lack of competition for his place or maybe its because hes overweight or maybe its because hes just not good enough for city. either way it has to be addressed before the start of the new season.

BeerBaron69
23/11/2004, 10:18 AM
Id keep Dan but Id give Greg a shot in central defence during pre-season. I think he do a good job there

Pablo Escobar
23/11/2004, 10:18 AM

According to the Evening Hearld Bohs are 300,000 Euro in debt. Doesn't make fin. sense to sign him!

pete
23/11/2004, 1:38 PM
We had best defense in run in to end of season so Dan must get some credit for that plus we have conceded least goals all season.

IMO while Greg did great filling in for Bennet in drogs games was a mistake to play him against Bohs - can see him badly out of position in run up to Bohs penalty.

GavinZac
23/11/2004, 1:52 PM
According to the Evening Hearld Bohs are 300,000 Euro in debt. Doesn't make fin. sense to sign him!

he wouldnt cost the world and they've lost about 7 players. they need to sign players and they have to be of a reasonable standard

adamd164
23/11/2004, 5:49 PM
:confused: we've more than enough strikers as it is!

I totally disagree - we need a big target man IMO.

btw, I've seen on this board people taking the mick out of comments like 'i've heard from a reliable source...'. Now whether or not you actually believe what I'm saying is, to me, pretty unimportant! The fact is, I've heard this from someone I KNOW IS TELLING ME THE TRUTH.
...rant over.

thecorner
23/11/2004, 9:06 PM
I totally disagree - we need a big target man IMO.

Stephen o flynn :confused:

BeerBaron69
24/11/2004, 9:49 AM
The last big target man I remember playing for City was Noel Hart..........(I dare not speak his name in case he returns)

adamd164
25/11/2004, 1:00 PM
Stephen o flynn :confused:

Exactly - :confused: ! I think he's more of a Johnno TBH

Éanna
25/11/2004, 1:39 PM
Today's Sun has a short piece about Dan. Few quotes from him saying he wants to stay at City and he's anxious to get his new deal sorted. Apparently his contract is up in January and the club haven't offered him a new one yet.
Quotes from the article:

"I spoke to the chairman and the manager and told them I want to stay. people have said to me there is interest from elsewhere but I haven' heard anything. I want to stay at Cork and help the team push on. It has been a little disappointing that they haven't come back to me yet and said how long they'd like me to stay here for."

"I think everybody will be staying. The manager is looking to strengthen the squad and keep us heading in the right direction."

Éanna
25/11/2004, 1:40 PM
Exactly - :confused: ! I think he's more of a Johnno TBH
Stevo is well capable of playing as a target man. He's big, strong and good in the air. Pacey enough too. IMO, he would have made a big impact if he hadn't got injured.

Rebal Boy
25/11/2004, 1:53 PM
When Stevo gets back playing on the pitch full time, he'll do very well IMO. He will be a hard job for defenders to stop. Just give him time. He should be back playing proberlary from next season on.

DolansWaistcoat
25/11/2004, 4:16 PM
When Stevo gets back playing on the pitch full time, he'll do very well IMO. He will be a hard job for defenders to stop. Just give him time. He should be back playing proberlary from next season on.

Ya I hope you're right because I really want to see him do well because his City career has been a disaster for him so far.

The Flynny-Doyler partnership(if still together :eek: ) is the one that worked best for us this year, the last few months anyway,so it'll be up to Steveo to break into that.

higgins
28/11/2004, 11:19 PM
There are always better players then the ones you have...

You cant just say everyone has been great!!
You will go nowhere with that attitude,,,

I thought Doherty was one of shels best signings last season and then this season Harris has amazed me with some of his games. Rogers (who I dont rate) is also a big favourite with fans and they think he is great. Shels go and sign Hawkins... Thats the type of moves you have to make to keep getting bigger.

Someone said here that its crazy to sell Dan Murray as you have the second best defensive record... Well 2nd best doesnt do it im afraid.. If you want to finish 2nd best then keep the same squad and do what you done this season.

RedX
28/11/2004, 11:40 PM
There are always better players then the ones you have...

You cant just say everyone has been great!!
You will go nowhere with that attitude,,,

I thought Doherty was one of shels best signings last season and then this season Harris has amazed me with some of his games. Rogers (who I dont rate) is also a big favourite with fans and they think he is great. Shels go and sign Hawkins... Thats the type of moves you have to make to keep getting bigger.

Someone said here that its crazy to sell Dan Murray as you have the second best defensive record... Well 2nd best doesnt do it im afraid.. If you want to finish 2nd best then keep the same squad and do what you done this season.

I agree..this is exactly what i said..successful clubs sometimes have to be ruthless to get better players than they have..Dan was good last season but City can get better..we would have around 900 players if we had to keep everyone that had a good season every year..higgins..its nice to hear from someone for a change that seems to understand progression..

higgins
29/11/2004, 9:25 PM
As a shels fan who gets to see cork maybe 2 or 3 times a season and highlights on TV its hard to comment on who is good or bad in your squad apart from repeating what the papers say (which is never right!!).

I always find that when I come on here after a game that all the cork players were great and there was 1000's at the game and your the best team in the country and you have been hard done by and so on.

If I heard this the odd week I would believe some of the posters but its appears over the last few seasons that nearly all your players are great and some of them are the best in the league !! examples are Crowe and Hunt not being good enough in some people eyes to get into your team :eek:

Its great to have confidence in a team and its nice to be playing well but I think the Cork fans are a little bit blinded to reality and what exactly goes on. Facts are you finished 2nd and ended up with no trophy for another season. You sometimes have a go at other teams in the league like Longford who you seem to belittle and think that you have some god given right to be better than! They are in UEFA for the second season running and have won 2 of the 3 major trophy's this season.

I think some of the Cork fans are living in some Pat Dolan bubble where they do actually believe your the best team in the country and yet again for reasons outside of your control i.e. ALL the refs out to get you, that you have been punished and next season will be the one.

Ive seen optimism before but some Cork fans are just naive

RedX
29/11/2004, 10:04 PM
higgins..i do agree with most of what you have said..about the ref comments thats probably best for another day after Mr Stokes end of season performance..changes will have to be made in that department no doubt..will this happen?..i doubt it.. :o

Regarding Longford fair play to them..they have done very well over the last 5 years...but what more can i say about them?..to us with or without there Cups they are a small club..thats the way City fans think...the cups are great to win but we want the league in Cork and make no doubt about that..

I dont live in any Pat Dolan bubble and yet still i do think we have one of the best teams in the country..why should'nt i beleive it?..we are only one or possibly two short..even without them i think we can and will win the league next season...

When you come on here and read that there were thousands at the games is because its true...

I think that plenty of players from City get criticised on here..Georgie,Kearney,Gamble,Dan Murray,Fenn,Super Micky Devine and even the remarkable John O Flynn have all got a blast from supporters this season..but i do agree that there are some supporters here that cant really see the good players from the bad..i mean one fan said yesterday that Dan only makes a few mistakes but otherwise had a great season..well i like other fans think he should make NO mistakes so we could get someone better..but not all fans think alike do they?..people say that Gamble is a fine player and they are right..but for progress i would not hesitate in dropping him in the morning for Kevin Hunt..if only i could have that decision.. :D ...and there are other positions i feel the same about..