PDA

View Full Version : U.E.F.A. Cup.

colblimp
20/11/2004, 9:08 PM
Reading the programme last night, Brian Lennox mentioned that there is no standing allowed in the U.E.F.A. Cup. He also said that the capacity of The Cross would therefore be 5,500.

Does this mean then that all our U.E.F.A. Cup home games will be played at Lansdowne Road?

Does anyone have inside info on this?

Rebal Boy
20/11/2004, 9:20 PM
No it doesn't. It means that the shed end will be closed off for any UEFA Cup game that City play in. It happend a few years ago aswell when they were playing a Swiss crowd. Its a shame we can't use it.

Storysham
20/11/2004, 10:32 PM
Reading the programme last night, Brian Lennox mentioned that there is no standing allowed in the U.E.F.A. Cup. He also said that the capacity of The Cross would therefore be 5,500.

Does this mean then that all our U.E.F.A. Cup home games will be played at Lansdowne Road?

Does anyone have inside info on this?

And i'd say we will be looking at about 20-25 euro a ticket. Not that i care.

Fair_play_boy
20/11/2004, 11:20 PM
Does this mean then that all our U.E.F.A. Cup home games will be played at Lansdowne Road?Who do you think we are? Shels? If we go outside the Cross, it is more likely to be Musgrave Park, as that is in Cork at least!
It is a real shame that The Shed will be cordoned off for the UEFA Cup. Somehow I can't see the shedites being as effective up in Donie Forde land. :(

eoinh
20/11/2004, 11:23 PM
Who do you think we are? Shels? If we go outside the Cross, it is more likely to be Musgrave Park, as that is in Cork at least!
It is a real shame that The Shed will be cordoned off for the UEFA Cup. Somehow I can't see the shedites being as effective up in Donie Forde land. :(

Havent been in Musgrave Park sine city played Bayern but isnt most of that standing or at least a fairly large part of it? Musgrave Park mightnt be up to the standard. Im sure Lennox will stick with the X (for the first round at least)!

Storysham
21/11/2004, 11:40 AM
Who do you think we are? Shels? If we go outside the Cross, it is more likely to be Musgrave Park, as that is in Cork at least!

Musgrave park is 3/4 terraces. The main stand is seated and that only holds 635 as far as i know.

joe
22/11/2004, 5:51 AM
Musgrave Park falls well short of UEFA standards. To suggest it as an alternative to the Cross is ludicrous

tiktok
22/11/2004, 9:27 AM
5500 seated times €17 is €93,500
7500 standing by €12 is €90,000

I reckon Brian will take the reduced attendance at a higher average ticket price. The game(s :D ) will definitely be played at the cross.

niamh
22/11/2004, 1:23 PM
Musgrave Park falls well short of UEFA standards. To suggest it as an alternative to the Cross is ludicrous

Agreed. Most City fans would sort their tickets early with only the stragglers losing out. As for atmosphere, there's nothing that says you can't stand at your seat...

Pablo
22/11/2004, 1:43 PM
if a bit of time and effort was put into it i'm sure temp seating could be put into the shed or indeed next to it?

the club might not make extra money from it but the more people in the ground the better.

it can be done. look at Thomond park. two 500 temp stand were put in the smallest of spaces

joe
22/11/2004, 1:50 PM
if a bit of time and effort was put into it i'm sure temp seating could be put into the shed or indeed next to it?

the club might not make extra money from it but the more people in the ground the better.

it can be done. look at Thomond park. two 500 temp stand were put in the smallest of spaces

AFAIk, current UEFA regulations prohibit temporary seating

Pablo
22/11/2004, 1:53 PM
The entire Lille stadium was a temp structure in France when they played Shels! while their new ground was being built.

i guess it depends on the type of structure

tiktok
22/11/2004, 2:18 PM

we may get a derogation as per Landsdowne though if the plans for renovating the area are on the table. :confused:

Pablo
22/11/2004, 2:21 PM
we may get a derogation as per Landsdowne though if the plans for renovating the area are on the table. :confused:

if the programme hut and sweet shop were moved a decent size stand could be put in there

Gary
22/11/2004, 2:41 PM
How safe would it be to do that? the ground around there isnt exactly flat.

Also, would it be financially viable? Doubt it.

colblimp
22/11/2004, 8:02 PM
How safe would it be to do that? the ground around there isnt exactly flat.

I'm not a builder but I think they might sort of, er, excavate and lay foundations and make it safe and stuff like that! :rolleyes:

Éanna
22/11/2004, 8:04 PM
I'm not a builder but I think they might sort of, er, excavate and lay foundations and make it safe and stuff like that! :rolleyes:
hardly a temporary stand so.........

BeerBaron69
23/11/2004, 10:23 AM
I fit meant European soccer in the Cross Id gladly pay 20-25yoyos for a ticket

pete
23/11/2004, 1:45 PM
I nominate this as worst post season thread. :eek:

Clearly only a few people read the programme - Lennox said no temperory seating, 5500 capacity for UEFA games & if got FAI money in time might be able to complete new shed 1500 stand for next season.

I think city are outgrowing 7000 capacity at the cross sooner than expected.

GavinZac
23/11/2004, 1:50 PM
I think city are outgrowing 7000 capacity at the cross sooner than expected.

for europeana dn league winning games yes, but midsummer ngihts against bohs drawing 3000 doesnt bode well for increasng the capacity.