PDA

View Full Version : Stadium Developments

Pages : [1] 2

GalwayFrancis
20/11/2004, 2:15 PM
Anyone know of any stadium developments for the of season? is the shed in turners cross being replaced this close season?, new pic of the shed at the x [http://www.corkcityfc.ie/gallery/albums/Bohs191104/C4BE6611.jpg]. any news from athlone's lovely new arena? and have limerick any clue whats happen with their new stadium?

GalwayFrancis
20/11/2004, 2:20 PM
i know this is kind of answering my own question(well part of it). Admin of AtfcOnline sadi :
"The main pitch is seeded, grass is up on it now. Unfortunately the weather curtailed the progress on the second pitch. As far as I know, the main stand will be going out to tender soon, with the super pre-cast structures already given to Banager Concrete. I think we could be ready to move in some time next season, but will more than likely wait to move in at the start of the following season."
A pic of one of the stands can be viewed @ http://www.iol.ie/~atfc/newstadium/new-stand.JPG.

eoinh
20/11/2004, 2:25 PM
Drogheda are going to move arent they. Brian Lennox said in the programme notes that the money for the replacement for the shed hasn't come through yet. This would mean the stadium capacity for european nights falling to 5,500.

max power
20/11/2004, 2:30 PM
i would think of a european "night" before "nights", btw scumlone's stand looks impressive, there 40 fans will have a great choice of seats :D

GalwayFrancis
20/11/2004, 2:30 PM
Drogheda are going to move arent they. Brian Lennox said in the programme notes that the money for the replacement for the shed hasn't come through yet. This would mean the stadium capacity for european nights falling to 5,500.

one thing cork city should do over the close season is to put a tv box on the stand opposite the main stand, so the camera looks onto the main stand instead of the little one.

eoinh
20/11/2004, 2:44 PM
i would think of a european "night" before "nights", btw scumlone's stand looks impressive, there 40 fans will have a great choice of seats :D

Yes you would be an expert over the european "night" rather than the "nights". Be off with the Jamaican PM and his "wans".

max power
20/11/2004, 2:47 PM
its nice to see a set of fans that settle for second best........"biggest club" in Ireland winning nothing 2 years in a row......the word disgrace comes to mind :D

but u must agree u have a night before nights......its simple math after all ;)

Passive
20/11/2004, 3:08 PM
Rovers should be in Tallaght for the start of the 1997/98 season.

max power
20/11/2004, 3:18 PM

:D :D :D

GalwayFrancis
20/11/2004, 3:19 PM

no,what is the story with tallagh now?

thejollyrodger
20/11/2004, 3:30 PM
They expect to start playing games next september there in Tallaght

http://www.rte.ie/business/2004/0825/presswatch.html
August 25, 2004 11:39

The Hoops in new move on €10m stadium - Shamrock Rovers is locked in advanced talks with a privately-owned financial company in a bid to kick-start its long-stalled ambition to build a €10m stadium in Tallaght, reports the Irish Independent. The League of Ireland football club has already invested €4.2m in constructing a half-built stadium that has not seen any additional construction in two years. It is still €6m short of what it needs to complete the stadium and ancillary facilities such as a car park, bar and dining areas. Who exactly Rovers is in talks with is not known and the club itself was unavailable to comment yesterday. However, it is known that Rovers is currently thrashing out a contract which will allow them eventually buy back over time the completed stadium from their new financial partner.

Businessman buys into Shamrock Rovers

Thursday, October 28 2004 2:22
http://www.rte.ie/sport/2004/1028/shamrockrovers.html

Shamrock Rovers Football Club have announced that businessman Conor Clarkson has become a significant shareholder in the club.

It is understood Mr Clarkson has put over €9 million into the Hoops.

In welcoming Mr Clarkson as a shareholder, Chairman Tony Maguire said that this was a very significant day for the club as it paves the way for the ultimate completion of the stadium facility in Tallaght.

Further announcements will follow over the next few weeks.

Shamrock Rovers have been homeless since April 1987, when the then owners of the club sold their home ground at Glenmalure Park, Milltown. The club has since played home games at a number of venues in Dublin including Tolka Park, Dalymount Park, Richmond Park, the RDS and Morton Stadium.

Filed by Mark O'Neill-Cummins

DolansWaistcoat
20/11/2004, 3:49 PM
Anyone know of any stadium developments for the of season? is the shed in turners cross being replaced this close season?, new pic of the shed at the x [http://www.corkcityfc.ie/gallery/albums/Bohs191104/C4BE6611.jpg]. any news from athlone's lovely new arena? and have limerick any clue whats happen with their new stadium?

Great picture. :cool:

GalwayFrancis
20/11/2004, 4:04 PM
Great picture. :cool:

eL clubs need more nights like these.

DolansWaistcoat
20/11/2004, 4:46 PM
eL clubs need more nights like these.

Ya,definately.City are setting the benchmark for other el clubs to follow and lets hope we see mor great nights like that.

eamoss
21/11/2004, 2:39 PM
From dundalkfc.com (http://www.dundalkfc.com/news/041121_ArtificialTurf.html)

Dundalk considering artificial option
21 November 2004
Dundalk FC will use the off-season to begin development work around Oriel Park, with an artificial turf pitch being considered by the board as an option for the future at the Carrick Road venue.
Development
The board plan to unveil their development plans in the coming weeks, but with research showing that artificial pitches now offer many advantages, not least a quality playing surface, major savings on maintenance and a guaranteed life span of ten years. In addition, should the board decide to change the pitch, it would likely involve moving it closer to the main stand.

UEFA approval
Dundalk's thinking regarding artificial surfaces comes at a time when UEFA have given approval to synthetic surfaces being used in their competitions from the 2005/06 season. At the recent UEFA Executive Committee meeting, European football's governing body gave its approval for matches to be held on artificial pitches in its club competitions once the surfaces comply with UEFA quality criteria. UEFA launched a pilot project in 2002 involving several European venues, at which artificial turf was laid. The venues in question were in Almelo (Netherlands), Moscow (Russia), Dunfermline (Scotland), Orebro (Sweden) and Salzburg (Austria).

Extensive studies
Studies have been carried out into medical and football-related aspects of artificial turf. The research has been looking at the safety of players and injuries, as well as issues such as the roll and bounce of the ball, to enable a comparison to be made with natural grass playing surfaces. Players and coaches have also been asked their views as part of the research. Following the latest decision, research will continue and be reinforced in the medical and bio-mechanical fields. Based on the development of turf quality and new products available, all five pilot projects should upgrade their quality standards to comply with current UEFA criteria.

Question of quality
"This decision could open doors for other [stadiums] to have artificial turf, because there are some stadiums where it would be better to have artificial turf than the current natural turf," said UEFA CEO Lars-Christer Olsson. "The need [for artificial turf] has been great for years, if you come from countries with bad winters, for example. The reason for this decision is that the quality has now reached a level where artificial turf is comparable to, or even better than natural turf in some cases. A good natural pitch is always the best - that is also the view of the players and everybody else involved - but a good artificial surface is better than bad natural turf," Mr Olsson added. "It was an important step forward to take this decision. It will probably have the effect that the companies developing the turf will see that there is a market. And probably the product will be even better."

Planning ahead
Speaking to The Argus, Dundalk CEO Seán Connolly also stated that the €1m grant that the club has been allocated under the Sport and Tourism funding can only be used for capital projects, and ground improvements are being discussed. Such issues as ground security, spectator accommodation, along with toilets and press facilities will be addressed. Also the retail aspect of the club, such as the operation of shops in the ground will be addressed.

Artificial turf information
Further information about latest developments in artificial turf pitches can be accessed on uefa.com by clicking the following hyperlinks: Information - Products/Laboratory.

TonyD
21/11/2004, 5:50 PM
No to artificial pitches. They are the work of the Devil. (Wasn't there a fanzine, Cork City I think, called no more plastic pitches - amen to that.)

eamoss
21/11/2004, 6:38 PM
Yeah, I dont want it to happen because it would mean that they will not be building a new stand behind the goals! :mad:

max power
21/11/2004, 6:44 PM
Ya,definately.City are setting the benchmark for other el clubs to follow and lets hope we see mor great nights like that.

what finishing second with no trophies :rolleyes:

martin_rules_ie
21/11/2004, 8:16 PM
obviously he was referring to the numbers that turned out for the game. do ye know the meaning of support 'in your longford town slums??' longford are a good cup team (wait scratch that, wat about the UEFA cup performance!!!!! ;) ) :D :D :D

CuanaD
21/11/2004, 8:17 PM

They still qualified for UEFA and Setanta just like you Max :ball:

martin_rules_ie
21/11/2004, 8:26 PM
They still qualified for UEFA and Setanta just like you Max :ball:
here here! :cool:

NY Hoop
22/11/2004, 10:59 AM
one thing cork city should do over the close season is to put a tv box on the stand opposite the main stand, so the camera looks onto the main stand instead of the little one.

Totally agree. Also with Waterford it's a shame that there is no gantry facing the stand as it's the best feature...........

KOH

DolansWaistcoat
22/11/2004, 11:34 AM
Totally agree. Also with Waterford it's a shame that there is no gantry facing the stand as it's the best feature...........

KOH

The ONLY feature you mean. ;)

paudie
22/11/2004, 12:52 PM
According to the Indo the sale of Bishopstown by the FAI has been finalised and this will release money to fund the development of the Shed end stand.

It won't be ready for next season however so only a 5,500 capacity for the UEFA cup games I'm afraid.

Haven't Finn Harps recently finalised plans to move to a new stadium in Stranorlar .

Also the Athlone stand looks very like the one at the Cross. Coggers!

dcfcsteve
22/11/2004, 1:36 PM
The new Harps stadium is apparently at Planning at the moment. Harps fans would know more.

Meanwhile, Derry City Council still continue to completely ignore constant requests from DCFC fans to clarify what their plans are regarding ownership/a long lease on the Brandywell...

Aberdonian Stu
22/11/2004, 1:56 PM
Apparently it's as good as a done deal...but where have I heard that before.

GalwayFrancis
01/12/2004, 9:05 PM
god this thread went out of view very quickly, anyone have any more to add to it?

harpskid
02/12/2004, 8:19 AM
The new Harps stadium is apparently at Planning at the moment. Harps fans would know more.

Planning with the county council is said to be at an advanced stage at the moment and planning permission is set to be lodged within the next few weeks.
The plans are for a new stadium in nearby Stranorlar (just over the bridge from Ballybofey) and will be, I think, a 6,500 all seater. The first stage will probably be an all seater stand, clubhouse and terracing at both ends. Hopefully we'll have some retail outlets as well, which would bring in a good bit of revenue and of course a bar :cool:

pete
02/12/2004, 11:58 AM
City, Shel$ & Longford all guaranteed at least 3 home european games next season cos of Setanta Cup games. I think be very big crowds for city home Setanta Cup games if only for novelty factor.

GalwayFrancis
02/12/2004, 2:18 PM
Planning with the county council is said to be at an advanced stage at the moment and planning permission is set to be lodged within the next few weeks.
The plans are for a new stadium in nearby Stranorlar (just over the bridge from Ballybofey) and will be, I think, a 6,500 all seater. The first stage will probably be an all seater stand, clubhouse and terracing at both ends. Hopefully we'll have some retail outlets as well, which would bring in a good bit of revenue and of course a bar :cool:

anyone got any online pics of the new finn harps stadium?

Slash/ED
02/12/2004, 2:35 PM
The info on Shels new stadium will probably be released tonight.

The rumour is it will essentially be the Drumcondra End (New stand) extending around the entire pitch. Not sure what that makes the capacity, but it'll have bigger bars, corporate boxes and all of that. Around the stadium there'll be all weather pitches and training facilities so we wont have to train out in Blanchardstown and our youth teams wont be scattered around the city and there'll be facilities like a gym in the ground. Not sure if that's true or not, but the plans I heard were very impressive. We're also trying to develop some kind of youth academy I think.

I'd like to see grounds in Ireland try and make money through retail outlets and that kind of thing, as far as I know Rosenborg make a packet from that and it goes on everywhere in the continent and makes alot of money for the clubs, it doesn't happen enough here.

GalwayFrancis
02/12/2004, 2:46 PM
The info on Shels new stadium will probably be released tonight.

The rumour is it will essentially be the Drumcondra End (New stand) extending around the entire pitch. Not sure what that makes the capacity, but it'll have bigger bars, corporate boxes and all of that. Around the stadium there'll be all weather pitches and training facilities so we wont have to train out in Blanchardstown and our youth teams wont be scattered around the city and there'll be facilities like a gym in the ground. Not sure if that's true or not, but the plans I heard were very impressive. We're also trying to develop some kind of youth academy I think.

I'd like to see grounds in Ireland try and make money through retail outlets and that kind of thing, as far as I know Rosenborg make a packet from that and it goes on everywhere in the continent and makes alot of money for the clubs, it doesn't happen enough here.

do you know where the new shels stadium will be located, anyway near tolka? any clues for a name?

Slash/ED
02/12/2004, 2:48 PM
do you know where the new shels stadium will be located, anyway near tolka? any clues for a name?

I haven't got a clue where it'll be. I know that plan I mentioned was originally drawn up for the stadium that was going to be called Tolka Valley Park in Finglas, but that's not happening so the location and name could be anything. Most people seem to think it'll be somewhere in Fingal though, but that could mean anythwere really.

pete
02/12/2004, 2:53 PM

I'd be surprised if Rovers don't put at least a Centra or something onto the side of their ground as huge passing trade.

Planning Regs in this country probably make any development difficult let alone trying to get shops into sports facility.

harpskid
02/12/2004, 3:29 PM
anyone got any online pics of the new finn harps stadium?

It hasn't been built yet :p

No, the plans haven't been released yet but i'd say they'll be up once the planning permission is lodged

dapman1
02/12/2004, 3:55 PM
There has been planning permission in place at Station Road for a new stand on the opposite side from the current stand and club house for over a year now.

Unfortunatly things have been put up in the air a bit as the land that the pitch is on has been re-zoned as commercial/ retail (the council wants it to be the new town centre),to cater for the extra 20,000 people expected to be living in Newbridge in the next few years.

So much for sporting ammenities within easy contact of the people, when you can always have more shops.

Also the pitches on the other side of the road which are leased from the county council has been re-zoned for the new Department of Defence building. So our landlords in Newbridge Town are left with a big decision, as their land is now worth a fortune. A lot depends on whether the councill will intervene to help in getting land close to Newbridge in much the same way that they did for the GAA, who have been left in much the same situation.

One further option would be to stay put, build the new stand and inlcude some retails space in it. Seeing as this wouldnt be in contravention of the planning regulations. Anyway, lots of decision need to be made. :cool:

Buller
04/12/2004, 10:23 AM
hate that! the rovers new stadium in tallaght is supposed 2 be a 10,000 all-seater (3000+3000+2000+2000) ground when actually finished. but i cant seem 2 see that cum through anytime soon... here are the phases anyway

Slash/ED
08/12/2004, 8:06 PM
Here's the word on Shels new ground, apparently...

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1490

A face
08/12/2004, 11:18 PM
It's the Hearse rd which is the road to Donabate not Skerries/Rush Rd.The location stated in the fingal is two miles from Swords.they Plan to build a training Campus which will be up to UEFA standards.This will be the second such site in Ireland Landsdowne being the other.Other options closer to Dublin centre where none staters due to planning problems.Hopefully this Site wont experience this problem.Transport to this area should be of little concern at this stage.If things happen as planned transport shall available when needed.

It doesn't sound good lads .... obviously some of the problems that are presented now wont be an issue when up and running but sounds a bit dodgy to say the least. You are moving away from the pool of fans you are hoping to win from the sounds of it.

onceahoop
09/12/2004, 3:47 PM
It doesn't sound good lads .... obviously some of the problems that are presented now wont be an issue when up and running but sounds a bit dodgy to say the least. You are moving away from the pool of fans you are hoping to win from the sounds of it.

There is a huge potential fanbase in the region. Swords (pop. 30000+) is 5 mins away. Donabate is growing rapidly. Lusk, Rush and Skerries with a total projected population in 3 years of 50,000 are only 10-15 mins away. Balbriggan a growing town is only 15mins away. Malahide 15mins. Artane Coolock Whitehall are all only 15mins. All these areas have vibrant football clubs and all are potential supporters. By the time the project is finished there will be a huge improvement in the transport infrastructure in the area. The propose development is beside the M1 so acess should be fairly quick. It takes 6-7mins to drive from the Coolock intersection to the Donabate intersection and about 5 mins from the m50 junction. I think it could be a great move for Shels.

eoinh
09/12/2004, 6:34 PM
Personally for me it would be great as whenever i stay in Dublin its Donabate.

Donabate isnt really too far away from Tolka Park by bus anyway. About 20-25 mins? It wouldnt be too far of a move for them.

However i think they should stay where they are unless its going to be a stadium thats definitely way better than Tolka.

A face
09/12/2004, 10:21 PM
There is a huge potential fanbase in the region.

Fair enough ... you'd know best, but i would have thought it was going into an area where there typically would have been less support for certain codes i.e. footie. If they keep up their form then they'll be doing everything possible to attract the crowds.

Agree with Eoin, it really should be better than Tolka, anything else is a step backwards, it is grand to say it'll develop in time but there will always be the high costs looming and taking priority over developing the ground. Sure you'd have to be up to all sorts to raise the cash !! :eek:

onceahoop
10/12/2004, 6:27 PM
Fair enough ... you'd know best, but i would have thought it was going into an area where there typically would have been less support for certain codes i.e. footie. If they keep up their form then they'll be doing everything possible to attract the crowds.

Agree with Eoin, it really should be better than Tolka, anything else is a step backwards, it is grand to say it'll develop in time but there will always be the high costs looming and taking priority over developing the ground. Sure you'd have to be up to all sorts to raise the cash !! :eek:

Less support!!! Read my previous post. Anything built with modern construction techniques would be better than Tolka, where vision is limited, the Ballybough End is open to the elements and the facilities for the disabled are nil. A modern 10,000 seater stadium as is proposed will be way better than whats there at present and it would be within 15 mins drive of a huge potential fanbase.

harpskid
15/12/2004, 10:41 AM
From RTE.ie

Eircom League First Division champions Finn Harps could be playing in a new 6,600 all-seater stadium by 2007 if they get the green light from planning officials for an ambitious new development.

Finn Harps Co-operative Society has lodged a planning application for a new stadium in Stranorlar, less than a mile from the existing Finn Park ground in Ballybofey.

The planning application contains proposals to erect four stands, office space, a social club, club gym, television gantry, a three-storey administration building and storage space as well as car parking.

Bald Student
15/12/2004, 4:22 PM
a three-storey administration building

How much administering does the club need?

pineapple stu
15/12/2004, 5:45 PM
As far as I know, UCD have planning permission for a 1,200-seater stand (including changing rooms, hospitality area, press facilities, etc.) to replace the hill. This would be the first phase of a 4-phase renovation to the ground. It's being held up at the moment because obviously the FAI aren't giving out any money, and also because the new President of the college (Hugh Brady) has plans to build more residences on Belfield Park and move the football team to the rugby pitch. He seems to favour this less now, but not enough that anyone really knows exactly what's going on... :(

harpskid
15/12/2004, 6:30 PM
How much administering does the club need?

I'm wondering the same :confused:

I can only assume that this building will include a club shop, offices and a boardroom and possibly offices that could be rented out....

Bald Student
15/12/2004, 6:52 PM
I can only assume that this building will include ...offices that could be rented out....

I was thinking that myself, but how much demand for office space is there in Ballybofea?

harpskid
15/12/2004, 7:04 PM
I was thinking that myself, but how much demand for office space is there in Ballybofea?

Hopefully a lot ;)

Buller
15/12/2004, 10:20 PM
whats UCD's ground like anyway?! Ive never been to Belfield Park... :(