PDA

View Full Version : Ollie Byrne confirms triple signing coup..

Poor Student
19/11/2004, 8:42 PM
It was suspected and even expected but he confirmed it after the game in some incoherent babble, Shels have signed Colin Hawkins, Bobby Ryan and Glen Crowe. They were all left out of the Bohs v Cork game tonight. Byrne was moaning about it, but he made the move at an inappropriate time, it is Bohs perogative not to play players who have no future at the club. He was moaning about integrity, but well Bohs went out and held Cork so I don't see what his problem is.

dancinpants
19/11/2004, 9:05 PM
With signings like that they'd be justified in being confident of 3 in a row!!

Poor Student
19/11/2004, 9:09 PM
With signings like that they'd be justified in being confident of 3 in a row!!

Cork have a good auld team it is to be remembered. It's reminding me of Rangers and their 9 in a row though. Rangers traditional rivals of Celtic collapsed at the start of the run and Aberdeen ran them close a few times early on but Rangers just amassed a huge squad of the league's best players and just galloped away. I hope Bohs are not suffering a collapse and are going to become ineffective like Celtic and I hope Cork can build on this season. I have nothing against Shels but I don't want our league to descend into a predictable bore fest.

CollegeTillIDie
19/11/2004, 9:13 PM
I thought tapping players during the season was illegal?
These signings took place before the 2004 season was over.....

dancinpants
19/11/2004, 9:16 PM
Totally agree PS. Cork have a decent side, theres no doubt - but you have to admit it looks ominous. Atleast in the past there was Bohs, but now they have offloaded those three, plus Simon Webb, Stephen Caffrey and Damien Lynch,well lets just hope Cork have enough to push them next season too.

Poor Student
19/11/2004, 9:23 PM
I thought tapping players during the season was illegal?
These signings took place before the 2004 season was over.....

No College, they're Bosmans, out of contract. You are free to sign a deal up to six months in advance of the end of your contract. It's all nice and legal.

CollegeTillIDie
19/11/2004, 9:34 PM
No College, they're Bosmans, out of contract. You are free to sign a deal up to six months in advance of the end of your contract. It's all nice and legal.

Bosmans? Ouch Now Bohs know how we felt in 2003... losing Doyle, Ryan, Delaney etc and not even getting bus fares for them :eek:

Poor Student
19/11/2004, 9:41 PM
Bosmans? Ouch Now Bohs know how we felt in 2003... losing Doyle, Ryan, Delaney etc and not even getting bus fares for them :eek:

Pretty much a similar situation, although they have a bit better of a capacity to replace them. It'll be interesting to see how they'll cope. Even if you replace them reasonably adequately it takes time to get used to a 'spine transplant' as it were.

CollegeTillIDie
19/11/2004, 9:53 PM
Pretty much a similar situation, although they have a bit better of a capacity to replace them. It'll be interesting to see how they'll cope. Even if you replace them reasonably adequately it takes time to get used to a 'spine transplant' as it were.

My thoughts exactly, and with Intertoto Cup ahead instead of UEFA Cup, the budget won't be as large.

ShelsTim
20/11/2004, 3:00 AM
Yeah, it doesn't really look good does it? Cork won't be able to sustain this pressure unless they get a big-name draw or a long spell in the UEFA, or Shels do bolox in the CL. Don't underestimate Bohs though, they did hold Cork with their 'spine' missing and Farrelly will no doubt bring in quality people.

B-Stand
20/11/2004, 10:42 AM
The News of Our Death Has Been Greatly Exaggerated

There's no doubt the loss of Ryan, Hawkins, Ginger Judas, Webb, Lynch, Morrison, Cooney and Caffrey is going to have an effect, but last night a side including kids such as Rice, Oman and Bracken held the inform side in the league to a draw on their own patch in front of a capacity crowd, in a game in which we supposedly had nothing to play for. Not that bad, eh? There's some good kids here and with a few decent signings from Farrelly, it would be foolish to write us off for next season...just yet!

Oh,...and we've got GOD on our side!

eoinh
20/11/2004, 10:53 AM
going by last nights performane they wont miss them too much. That was one of the best performances by an away team at the X in a long time.

I'll resist the temptation to say they had 12 players last night.

Slash/ED
20/11/2004, 5:19 PM
Hunt for me was the one they couldn't afford to lose and they haven't. If they can get someone to replace Crowes goals (Yeah, easier said than done I know) then they wont be too bad next year.

And Ollie Byrne was out of order after the game really. Shels would have done the same in that position and of course Bohs were going to leave them out, besides, Bohs got the result that we needed so that no matter what happened in Richier we would have won the league.

TonyD
20/11/2004, 9:32 PM
I'm glad to see you say that Ollie Byrne was out of order. I thought his comments were a disgrace. Bohs were perfectly entitled to leave out three players who have announced they are leaving. In Shelbournes moment of glory, when his thoughts should only have been for his own club and team, all Byrne could do was moan about Bohemians (And he had the cheek to call them small minded) And as for his congratulations to Johnny Mac and St Pats for playing fair - he can shove them where the sun doesn't shine, we don't want or need his condescending crap. If any Shels fans out there were wondering why you are so hated, it isn't jealousy, Ollie Byrne is the number 1 reason.

Slash/ED
20/11/2004, 9:47 PM
it isn't jealousy, Ollie Byrne is the number 1 reason.

With jealousy a close second :)

Somehow I doubt Ollie Byrne would concern people so much, and cause the reactions he does, if we were still in the first division but how and however.

jfogarty
21/11/2004, 3:57 PM
3 good big name signings but there will be better transfers made in the close season.

Pats have just signed the biggest sponsorship deal in the league so we have cash to bring in players. I believe we are looking to add 3 more to caffrey and foley-sheridan. Rovers will also be wheeling and dealing and Bohs have to bring in several players. Drogheda have funds to strengthen too so next season will be more competitive

Personally I beleive Dolan is going to be very astute in the market so I wouldnt put my house on Shels just yet
;)

Ringo
22/11/2004, 7:12 AM
Pats have just signed the biggest sponsorship deal in the league so we have cash to bring in players.

did we miss something, with who & for how much?

thecorner
22/11/2004, 7:39 AM
You are free to sign a deal up to six months in advance of the end of your contract. It's all nice and legal.

i thought that was only if you were moving to a different country. i thought if u were staying in the same country u had to wait til the end of the season to talk to clubs

jfogarty
22/11/2004, 8:26 AM
did we miss something, with who & for how much?

Smart Telecom signed a 3 year deal with us last week. Figures will be announced in the next 10 days but it is the biggest deal in the league according to the programme on friday.

Ringo
22/11/2004, 9:15 AM
it is the biggest deal in the league according to the programme on friday.

if the programme
said it, it must be so ;)

jimhacker
22/11/2004, 10:07 AM
Going on their performance on friday night Bohs have nothing to worry about. They were truly excellent particulary in the first half.

As for integrity - they displayed it in spades. Mr. Byrne should focus his gaze a little nearer home.

observer
22/11/2004, 10:55 AM
Well done to Shels but cop on Ollie Byrne. Whatever about bad losers I cannot stand bad winners. His remarks after the game mirrored his character. he is a small minded bitter individual, big on mouth small on sportsmanship.