PDA

View Full Version : Players for Cabinteely FC.

the 12 th man
29/01/2015, 3:00 PM
Anybody know any names?

Spudulika
29/01/2015, 3:26 PM
For boys or girls?

I think George is a nice name for either - though it can be used to slag someone: eg Georgie Porgie.

nigel-harps1954
29/01/2015, 3:45 PM
Seemingly, they'll be using a lot of their current LFL side and not rushing into spending on players. They'll be totally amateur this season and looking to sign a few from the LSL, which apparently isn't going so well at the minute. They could well be absolute whipping boys this year. There's still a lot of players in around Dublin not signed at the minute though, the likes of Darren Quigley, Conor Murphy and a few others would be good additions to their team.

Dodge
29/01/2015, 4:43 PM
Seemingly, they'll be using a lot of their current LFL side and not rushing into spending on players. They'll be totally amateur this season and looking to sign a few from the LSL, which apparently isn't going so well at the minute. They could well be absolute whipping boys this year. There's still a lot of players in around Dublin not signed at the minute though, the likes of Darren Quigley, Conor Murphy and a few others would be good additions to their team.
Not sure where you're getting that but I've heard they'll have a fair few lads with LOI experience in the squad

Charlie Darwin
29/01/2015, 4:58 PM
I'd imagine Eddie will be able to pull in a few loans. Players could do a lot worse.

nigel-harps1954
29/01/2015, 6:03 PM
Not sure where you're getting that but I've heard they'll have a fair few lads with LOI experience in the squad

I read somewhere, can't seem to find where now (convenient I know), that they were using mostly players from their LFL side. The article had quotes from Eddie Gormley stating that they were simply not going to be grossly spending on players and will take a while to find their feet.

I'd be delighted to see otherwise. A competitive division is the only way to keep any sort of interest in the First Division and we certainly don't need any whipping boys propping up the table just there to make up numbers.

ForzaHoop
30/01/2015, 11:28 AM
Cabinteely hope prudence pays as they await lift-off in Airtricity League
Newest members of league eventually hope to bring through some schoolboy graduates

Eddie Gormley is assembling a squad that will be completely amateur. Photograph: Lorraine O’Sullivan/Inpho
were founded in 1967 but the history section of their website traces the lineage back a few decades further and recalls the celebrated international Peter Farrell playing for a previous incarnation of the club in front of crowds that may occasionally have topped the 5,000 mark.

Those were underage games, the level where the current club has made its mark. Now, though, Cabinteely have become the newest members of the SSE Airtricity League and Pearse Toale, chairman of the senior set-up, says he anticipates crowds in the “low, low hundreds”.

Same approach
He admits it will be “a challenge . . . but we are well structured and well run as a schoolboy club and we hope to bring that same approach to the senior team”.

The club has 54 teams in all and the hope is that the League of Ireland will be the destination for some of those graduating from the schoolboy setup.

Having spoken to some who have been down this road before, Cabinteely are aware of the potential pitfalls. “We intend to run things very prudently,” says Toale. “The team will be required to be self-financing.”

Eddie Gormley is assembling a squad that will, for the moment, be completely amateur, and mainly drawn from elsewhere, although he anticipates “at least two” home-grown Cabinteely players to be involved, a number that, all going well, will increase over the coming years.

“We’re bringing through some good players,” says the former St Patrick’s Athletic midfielder, “and the hope would be to bring them into the senior set-up over time.”

The reaction from many outsiders is sceptical. However, John O’Sullivan, formerly of Foras and centrally involved in the running of Cork City, Athlone Town and Limerick in recent years, sees logic to the plan. He suggests that entering teams in the elite under-17 and under-19 leagues could give Cabinteely an edge when it comes to attracting the best young players, who ultimately may end up going to England for lucrative fees.

Certain level
“The rewards could be big if it really worked out for them,” he says. “If they let a 16-year-old go to Shamrock Rovers now, they would be entitled to €500 for each year he has been with them. If they are a league club and a player goes to a club of a certain level in England, that figure is €60,000.”

Toale says he is aware of these implications and the “small part” they might play in the overall financial structure but insists the idea is about “a pathway for players” rather than any notion that the club might actually turn a profit

centre mid
03/02/2015, 4:38 PM
A nephew of mine plays on one of the under age sides, club seems to be run with the right ethos rather than the ruthlessness with which some schoolboys teams are run. Hope they make a success of it.

outspoken
09/02/2015, 2:37 PM
Mate of mine plays for a LSL division 2 side and he was offered to play with then this season, turned it down. Apparently a lot of LSL players are doing the same. Whipping boys for this season Id say.

gufcfan
09/02/2015, 7:08 PM
club seems to be run with the right ethos rather than the ruthlessness with which some schoolboys teams are run.

In what way are they different? Genuine question.

centre mid
10/02/2015, 4:52 PM
In what way are they different? Genuine question. Doesn't seem to be run with the sole intention of getting players across the channel and a kick back for the club.

TheBoss
11/02/2015, 6:38 PM
So far:

Jordan Buckley (St. John Bosco)
Daniel Campbell (former St. Patrick's Athletic)
Daniel Devine (Cherry Orchard)
Stephen Dunne (Greystones)
Gavin Fahy (St. Joseph's Boys)
Conor Foley (TEK United)
Jamie McGlynn (Malahide United) (former Bray Wanderers, Shelbourne, Salthill Devon)
Robert Maloney (Bray Wanderers)
John McKown (Maynooth Town)
Tyrone McNelis (former UCD)
Evan Whelan (St. Malachy's Edenmore)

Mister X
12/02/2015, 5:38 PM
So far:

Jordan Buckley (St. John Bosco)
Daniel Campbell (former St. Patrick's Athletic)
Daniel Devine (Cherry Orchard)
Stephen Dunne (Greystones)
Gavin Fahy (St. Joseph's Boys)
Conor Foley (TEK United)
Jamie McGlynn (Malahide United) (former Bray Wanderers, Shelbourne, Salthill Devon)
Robert Maloney (Bray Wanderers)
John McKown (Maynooth Town)
Tyrone McNelis (former UCD)
Evan Whelan (St. Malachy's Edenmore)

Aaron Brilly (Newry City)

the 12 th man
12/02/2015, 7:42 PM
Aaron Brilly (Newry City)

Think he was with Newbridge Town and Longford Town before that.

Town Legend
13/02/2015, 12:19 AM
Aaron was with us for a couple of seasons. Was with Wexford in pre-season last year I think but don't think they signed him.

Longfordian
13/02/2015, 5:14 PM
Yeah they're going to struggle with that squad so far but feck it they can't get relegated so just keep trying to build the club at a sustainable pace. Brilly is a decent little footballer from what I saw of him but he's very small for senior level.

the 12 th man
14/02/2015, 7:49 PM
Brilly is a decent little footballer from what I saw of him but he's very small for senior level.

Small but stocky enough and can pass the ball round well if given the room in midfield.

gufcfan
17/02/2015, 1:29 PM
Lloyd Cairns is another one, whoever he is. 17 year old.

Wonder where Daniel Devine was since Villa let him go?

At least Cabo are putting a team together anyway. (http://ie.soccerway.com/teams/ireland-republic/cabinteely/32842/squad/)

outspoken
17/02/2015, 11:49 PM
Small but stocky enough and can pass the ball round well if given the room in midfield.

Brills Is small but he's very very tough, see he played right full the other night. Played well there for town in a few games but he's naturally a holding midfielder, wheter or not hel play there In the first division is a differnet matter

Mister X
22/02/2015, 9:20 PM
Ger Pender (Longford Town)

TheBoss
24/02/2015, 6:33 PM
Couple of others:
Shane O'Neill (Bray Wanderers)
Shane Fagan (Shamrock Rovers 'B')
Bobinel Mazono (?)

gufcfan
24/02/2015, 10:57 PM
Bobinel Mazono (?)

Ex-Bohs.

the 12 th man
26/02/2015, 7:21 PM
Beaten 2-0 by AUL representative squad :o

http://thejuniorsoccerportal.info/aul-beat-new-loi-side-cabinteely-friendly-match/

gufcfan
03/03/2015, 12:46 PM
At least 3 lads (maybe 4?) disappeared off their squad page in the last few days, including that Italian lad.

Dodge
03/03/2015, 1:18 PM
I make it three. They sent the list to balls.ie so you can see who's missing here;

http://balls.ie/football/heres-first-look-cabinteely-fc-squad-2015-season/

jbyrne
03/03/2015, 2:04 PM
think cabinteely won 2-1 against a touring US team last night. left before the end. pitch was very poor

nigel-harps1954
03/03/2015, 2:06 PM
They have 20 players signed according to the FAI transfers list.

Victor Ekanem, Stephen Dunne, Kevin Knight, Bobinel Mazono and Ger Pender missing from that Balls.ie article. Vito Tamburro wasn't in the FAI list of transfers in.

Acornvilla
07/03/2015, 10:56 AM
Victor was a great lad when he played for Longford a few years ago, absolutely useless defender, I've never seen a man quite as unable to head the ball properly, it'd always balloon straight up in the air.

He always looked handy joining in, with the attack thou, felt like someone had mixed up his position somewhere along the way and had him at the wrong end every match.

the 12 th man
07/03/2015, 12:38 PM
Fair play to them all the same,nobody gave them a chance of beating the Youfs....

Martinho II
08/03/2015, 12:50 AM
how did Aaron Brilly play lads?